PDA

View Full Version : How cold is it where you are?

Pages : [1] 2 3

chocolatepuppy
01-24-2013, 06:26 PM
9*F here right now!!! Daytime highs haven't even got up to the high teens the last few days!:eek:

Try and stay warm everyone!

pomtzu
01-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Today it was warmer than the past couple of days - made it to the mid 20's - but the wind chill was in the teens. I enjoy the cold, but not the wind with it! :( Snow late tomorrow, but only a few inches. Bummer! :mad:

Freedom
01-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Today was colder than yesterday, which I didn't think was possible.

Currently 13 here at 8 PM, with a wind chill which makes it feel like 4!!!!

I've filled the (outside) bird feeder morning and night for 3 days now!

Litterati
01-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Cold? Extremely. They say a record-breaker. During the day with the wind chill factor it was about -35 C (not sure how this converts to Farenheit.) Supposed to "warm up" sometime next week to about + 2 C. On the radio they actually placed a takeout breakfast of cereal, juice, a latte and a banana out on the street to see how long it would take to freeze (almost instantly.) They also advised people under 50 kg to stay inside. I didn't and almost got blown down the street by a blustery wind, something like the regular occurrence in "The Flying Nun" TV series might have happened. Perhaps I would have landed somewhere sunny and warm. Whatever. :D

mon
01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
We had a wee cold snap at the end of Dec. and the begining of January. Pretty mild here in British Columbia.

Taz_Zoee
01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I am currently in Southern California (went to Disneyland yesterday) and even though it rained today it is still in the 70s. Even now at almost 6pm.

Sowa
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
It's been about -30 to -40 C here with the wind chill. yuck.

Karen
01-24-2013, 09:02 PM
It is cold - all of 14F right now which is -10 C with wind chills to -4F or -20C and lower! Good night to stay inside!

kaycountrygal
01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
I thought it was cold here in central North Carolina but not compared to most of you. We are in our 3rd day of around 17 at night and 35 for the high plus wind. It was terrible outside today at 34 and windy. This is colder than normal for us. Tomorrow we are to have light snow/sleet/freezing rain.

Steve Arnold
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Currently it's 16 degrees, with a 6 degree windchill. It was much worse a few days ago.

Lady's Human
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
+1F

Combined with the wind up on our little piece of the hill, it's a touch chilly out.

Better, however, than Ft. Drum, which is going to be a balmy -17F tonight. I spent 2 years there, never realized how acclimated to the cold I had become until I went for my morning run in shorts and a t-shirt, then checked the weather when I got back and it was barely 30F.

cassiesmom
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Not as cold tonight. 20F. When I left choir rehearsal it felt cold, but not the "take your breath away" cold we've had the last couple of days. We are supposed to get back into the 30s by Sunday though.

momcat
01-25-2013, 07:36 AM
This morning Trenton woke up to 13 degrees with the wind chill making it feel like 6 degrees. Snow is expected to start sometime this afternoon.

Asiel
01-25-2013, 08:37 AM
this week has been between -31C and -29C. Today it seems to be warming up, it was -26 but already it's warmed up to -23C. Still too cold, counting the days till Spring

david p
01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
In Butler this morning it was a "balmy" 13 degrees and the wind chills were in the single digits. We're expecting 3" to 5" of snow today to add to the fun!

Lillycat
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
.........aaaaaaahhhhh..........the 70's sound sooooooo nice...........wish it were so here in Cincinnati!!!!!!!!!

kaycountrygal
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
It is unseasonably cold here. Today the high was 24 with tiny snow/sleet/freezing rain. Next week it is to be in the 50's and 60's here in central NC.

Karen
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Hee hee - kaycountrygal, it was in the twenties here today which kinda felt warm! Didn't even put my gloves on when I was outside! ;) We may get a bit of snow overnight, but just a wee bit!

chocolatepuppy
01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Checking in at a bit warmer at 13* tonight.:D Added a few inches of snow too.:cool:

pomtzu
01-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Still cold and supposed to stay in the 20's today. Our "few" inches of snow that we were supposed to get last night, turned into a measly 1 inch at best. It's so light and fluffy that when the wind picks back up later today, it will all blow away. And with a couple of days next week with temps predicted in the 50's - well that will finish off anything that might still be laying around............:mad:

kuhio98
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Current weather conditions in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska at 6:53 a.m.:

-24.0 Fahrenheit
-31.1 Celsius

Do I win a prize? :p

Glacier
01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Current weather conditions in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska at 6:53 a.m.:

-24.0 Fahrenheit
-31.1 Celsius

Do I win a prize? :p

LOL nope! It's -35C here today or -31F! Howling wind! Just gross!

pomtzu
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Glacier and kuhio............

I love the cold weather, but even the temps that you've posted are a little too much for me. :eek: How do you stand it - other than not going out of the house unless it's a life or death matter???? :confused: Glad I don't have your heating bills. :p

Glacier
01-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Glacier and kuhio............

I love the cold weather, but even the temps that you've posted are a little too much for me. :eek: How do you stand it - other than not going out of the house unless it's a life or death matter???? :confused: Glad I don't have your heating bills. :p

In the far North, life goes on as usual no matter the temperature. We've had several weeks of temperatures much colder than this already this winter. Kids still go to school, you're expected to be at work, etc. I can occasionally get away with using a vacation day to stay home when it's really cold, but I'd much rather use my leave time for other things! You learn to dress for it! We can get -40 any time for about five months a year. Can't stay home or inside for that long! I did refuse to go skijoring today & ran on my treadmill. I don't run outside below -20C.

There is no natural gas infrastructure where I live. You have to get propane or oil delivered. Our main heat is wood in both the shop & house. We used to get our own wood but since Stuart is rarely home we buy it now for about 275 a cord. We have propane backup in the house & oil in the shop.

I no longer enjoy winter. I've always hated the dark here. I can deal with cold, but the dark will drive me out of here someday, at least for the winter. If all goes according to plan, I have four more Yukon winters after this one!

One more week til we leave for Cuba! A week is too short for a vacation but its better than nothing!

Karen
01-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I know many people who get bothered by the lack of light most of all, more than the cold. I prefer cold to too hot, though!

Steve Arnold
01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
I have a friend in Canada who is most bothered by the dark as well. But given the choice, I'd prefer too hot rather than too cold.

caseysmom
01-27-2013, 12:23 AM
It was real cold here down in the upper 20's at night that is cold for here but the last few days have been mild. Just got back from Pismo beach and it was around 67 degrees felt like summer.

chocolatepuppy
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Last nights temp was supposed to be 15*. Right now, it's 7*.:rolleyes: Warming trend coming as of today.;)

pomtzu
01-27-2013, 08:40 AM
It's 25 right now (feels like 18), and is supposed to get into the low 30's later today. Freezing rain tomorrow morning and then Wednesday - 62!!!! - before the more normal 30's comes back next weekend.

I saw a beautiful and unusual sight yesterday morning. Across the road from our place is an open field that is farmed, and then about 150' or so back from that, the woods starts. We often see a couple of deer at the edge of the woods, but yesterday morning - in broad daylight - was a whole herd running parallel to the road and only a few feet back off the road. I caught just the tail end - the stragglers - 5 of them - but my son said there were a whole lot that had already gone past. They were all does - not a buck in sight. They must be searching for food, since with this cold snap, it's the first that the ground has been frozen solid for any length of time this season.

phesina
01-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Cold? Extremely. They say a record-breaker. During the day with the wind chill factor it was about -35 C (not sure how this converts to Farenheit.)

A quick trick to go from C to F (not exact but in the ball park): double the C temperature and add 30.

-35(C) x 2 = -70, +30 ~= -40F

F to C: Subtract 30 from the F temperature, divide the result in half.

Felicia's Mom
01-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Right now, it is 29 F with freezing rain and very slick ice covered roads. They are telling people to stay indoors. Many churches have canceled services.

kuhio98
01-27-2013, 09:28 AM
LOL nope! It's -35C here today or -31F! Howling wind! Just gross!

Tamara ~ You can keep that cold! Don't send it our way, it's bad enough here already. :D

Current weather at Prudhoe airport:

Deadhorse Airport
Lat: 70.2 Lon: -148.47 Elev: 76
Last Update on Jan 27, 5:53 am AKST

-22 °F (-30 °C)
Humidity: 69 %
Wind Speed: SW 14 MPH
Barometer: 30.50" (1032.9 mb)
Dewpoint: -29 °F (-34 °C)
Wind Chill: -47 °F (-44 °C)
Visibility: 9.00 mi

For those who mentioned heating bills, etc. On the bright side..... we sure don't have any cooling bills in the summer! So, it all averages out. :p

Laura's Babies
01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Today in the deep south it is in the low 70's.. They said on the news the other night that so far this year we have only had 3 nights where the temp was in the low 30's and that is a record, normally we have had a lot more freezes. Jan & Feb are our coldest months..

phesina
01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Tamara and Lisa, and anyone else in places where it gets REEEALLLY cold, how do you dress for that kind of weather?

Here it's a balmy 20-some degrees (F) today. It actually got down to just sub-zero (wind-chills -15 or so) last Tuesday. This Tuesday it's supposed to go to about 50! F -> (50-30 = 20)/2 ~= 10C.

Pat

kuhio98
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Here's a photo of the some of the Arctic Gear we wear at work.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/e9f4e668.jpg

But, when I'm home, I just don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary -- and I can always find an excuse where it isn't necessary.....;)

Glacier
01-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Tamara and Lisa, and anyone else in places where it gets REEEALLLY cold, how do you dress for that kind of weather?

Layers, layers, layers! Thermal base layer of a synthetic wicking material; I like Helly Hansen brand. Merino wool for the middle insulating layer and then at least one more layer. I have a couple down parkas that work very well in extreme cold. Good cold weather gear is pricey but it's worth every dime!

Never ever anything cotton! Cotton gets wet and stays wet. Wet is dangerous in the cold!

Lisa, that looks like the same stuff Stuart uses when he's working in the winter!

phesina
01-27-2013, 05:46 PM
How about gloves/mittens? What about when you have to take them off to manipulate something that you can't do with padded or covered fingers? (Or do you never take them off outside, and those activities [even phoning/texting?] have to wait until you get somewhere it's warm?)

phesina
01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Here's a photo of the some of the Arctic Gear we wear at work.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/e9f4e668.jpg

But, when I'm home, I just don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary -- and I can always find an excuse where it isn't necessary.....;)

Lisa, are you a firefighter? Police officer? Mail carrier? I can't really tell what the uniform is.

How on earth does that guy in the picture get by without even EARMUFFS????? :eek:

Lisa/Tamara, do you wear any face-covering?

Glacier
01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
How about gloves/mittens? What about when you have to take them off to manipulate something that you can't do with padded or covered fingers? (Or do you never take them off outside, and those activities [even phoning/texting?] have to wait until you get somewhere it's warm?)

Cell phones don't work when it's that cold. They freeze, especially touch screen smart phones! My iphone is pretty much useless after being outside for a few minutes in the cold! Our cell service sucks anyway! Even in the summer there are lots of places a cell phone won't work at all.

I wear a pair of Helly Hansen glove liners that let me take my heavier gloves off for a few minutes in the cold. Enough time to work a gate latch or something like that. I try to avoid taking my gloves off as much as possible. Exposed skin freezes quickly and frostbitten fingers are not fun!

Steve Arnold
01-27-2013, 06:45 PM
It's up to 32 right now, but we had an ice storm this morning so everything here is shut down. I called off play rehearsal and everything else seems to be canceled as well. It's a sheet of ice everywhere, poor Oberon couldn't get any footing at all trying to cross the driveway for potty but he managed okay once we were on grass. I almost fell several times, but tomorrow it's supposed to be much warmer. Hopefully!

kuhio98
01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Lisa, are you a firefighter? Police officer? Mail carrier? I can't really tell what the uniform is.

How on earth does that guy in the picture get by without even EARMUFFS????? :eek:

I suspect the photo of the guy was taken in a very warm studio by the clothing manufacturer. I just used it because it resembles the gear we put on when we work outside. It's not really a uniform. It is required clothing to keep from freezing as you go from one jobsite to another -- thankfully, I have an inside job so I don't often have to go outside. My job involves planning and scheduling maintenance and repairs on fire detection and fire suppression systems..... Think of thousands of smoke detectors similar to those we have in our houses, but add in gas detectors and fire extinguishers as tall as your house. All of that stuff has to be maintained on a strict, regulatory schedule. My job involves tracking the required maintenance and repairs.

And, we can't use cell phones outside (because of the cold) or inside any of the processing plants. You've seen those photos of people talking on their cell phones while pumping gas.... and the sometimes resulting explosion due to static electricity? Well, imagine taking a call while standing next to a 3-story tall tank of combustible fuel.... Besides, cell phone reception isn't very reliable up here.

Alysser
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I am super curious about how you guys keep your cars running in the winter? Do they get used to it to?:p

It's been ranging from low 20's-low 30's all week here. Gross.:(

Glacier
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I am super curious about how you guys keep your cars running in the winter? Do they get used to it to?:p
.:(

Block heaters, oil pan heaters and battery blankets....all electrical, plug the vehicle in at night and they keep it just warm enough to start in the morning. If it's below -15C all our vehicles get plugged in. Stuart drives a diesel and there are times when he just leaves it running 24/7! Where he works, it regularly gets to -50C. A diesel that isn't running in those temps, isn't running again until spring! I suspect where Lisa works there are vehicles that just don't get shut off all winter!

We are lucky to have a heated shop at home. My new car does not get parked outside if it's below -10C! I paid far too much for it(or rather owe far too much to the financing company) to leave it outside! Plus plugging a car in does nothing to avoid square tires! Literally, in these temps, tires get flat areas on them. It's like driving on square tires for the first 10 minutes! Parking inside is a hassle here(huge garage doors and at two 10 foot gates to open and close), but it's much easier on the vehicle and more comfortable in the morning!

pomtzu
01-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Good grief Tamara. All the trouble you have to go thru protecting yourself, your vehicles, etc - seems like a whole lot of work - and not easy work at that. Now I know why you take so many warm climate vacations.

Do the pups have any heat source? I know they thrive in the cold, but when is it too cold even for them?

cassiesmom
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
It isn't so cold today. We went through ice, sleet and rain yesterday. It's 42F last I heard on the radio. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be well above freezing, then the cold comes back later in the week. An unusual winter.

Taz_Zoee
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm back home in the Bay Area and it is currently 46 at 9:39am. Brrr, I want to go back to Southern California! I know, 46 is nothing compared to what a lot of you are dealing with. But it's cold for this California girl!

Glacier
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Good grief Tamara. All the trouble you have to go thru protecting yourself, your vehicles, etc - seems like a whole lot of work - and not easy work at that. Now I know why you take so many warm climate vacations.

Do the pups have any heat source? I know they thrive in the cold, but when is it too cold even for them?

It's a ridiculous amount of work! I get to haul wood when I get home from work tonight! Oh, the fun! This super cold snap is supposed to break in a few days. -15C will feel balmy!

The dogs all have insulated dog house stuffed full of straw. They are quite toasty warm inside. Only four of the dogs sleep outside. Sundin & Reggae because the house terrifies them both! They could come in; they are both fine in the house, but they chose to stay outside. Raven has access to the shop. She can sleep inside there if she wants, but she has such a thick coat that after a couple hours she's over heating. Chase is allowed inside under direct supervision only as he is not cat safe. He can sleep in the shop if he wants to, but usually he curls up in a dog house. Pretty much everyone else sleeps inside every night, even in the summer!

I have two 16 year old dogs who are rarely outside in the winter at all. Hobo goes out if it's sunny, but Pingo rarely leaves the house! She pees and comes right back in. The ancient ones can basically do whatever they want! Tehya spent yesterday trying to get someone to play with her! She is impervious to cold!

pomtzu
01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Tamara - I wouldn't survive a week living there, but I suppose it's all what you're used to.

Snow is all gone here except for a few patches in shady areas. That will be gone today tho, with temps getting into the 50's - and tomorrow in the 60's with heavy rain and potential for severe thunderstorms. Then back in the 30's by the end of the week. Crazy weather!!!!!

Alysser
01-29-2013, 09:35 AM
It's a ridiculous amount of work! I get to haul wood when I get home from work tonight! Oh, the fun! This super cold snap is supposed to break in a few days. -15C will feel balmy!

The dogs all have insulated dog house stuffed full of straw. They are quite toasty warm inside. Only four of the dogs sleep outside. Sundin & Reggae because the house terrifies them both! They could come in; they are both fine in the house, but they chose to stay outside. Raven has access to the shop. She can sleep inside there if she wants, but she has such a thick coat that after a couple hours she's over heating. Chase is allowed inside under direct supervision only as he is not cat safe. He can sleep in the shop if he wants to, but usually he curls up in a dog house. Pretty much everyone else sleeps inside every night, even in the summer!

I have two 16 year old dogs who are rarely outside in the winter at all. Hobo goes out if it's sunny, but Pingo rarely leaves the house! She pees and comes right back in. The ancient ones can basically do whatever they want! Tehya spent yesterday trying to get someone to play with her! She is impervious to cold!

My Dad told me he used to dream of living in the Yukon, he visited there a lot, but that was in the summer! Life there seems like a TON of work. Any pups in the bed? That must be fun :p

LOL, Teyha, I hope she was successful in finding someone. I'd fly there to play with her!:D

phesina
01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Tamara and Lisa, you both have my utmost admiration and respect for functioning in that kind of cold!

And I do have to say.. better you than me! I find as cold as it gets here massively unpleasant.. and it's nothing compared to what you both live with for long parts of the year. (What a wimp I am.. )

God bless!

Pat :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
(It's foggy and rainy and going to somewhere in the 50s [that's a fluke] today.. In a couple of days, back to winter.)

cloverfdx
01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
It is currently 6.6c/ 43f here :). It is starting to feel like autumn :D.

Roxyluvsme13
01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
It's 60 here right now... :rolleyes:. We had an ice storm on Friday, and now it's 60 the following Tuesday. Tennessee is very bipolar with its weather.

Queen of Poop
01-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Currently in Calgary we have beautiful blue sky but its FREEZING!!!!! The temperature is -24oC or -11.2oF. The windchill is -35oC or -31oF.

Glacier
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
My Dad told me he used to dream of living in the Yukon, he visited there a lot, but that was in the summer! Life there seems like a TON of work. Any pups in the bed? That must be fun :p

LOL, Teyha, I hope she was successful in finding someone. I'd fly there to play with her!:D

Lots of people come up here in the summer, think they want to live here and then move back south after one winter! There are good deals to be had at spring moving sales! Course you also meet lots of people who came up for a summer job 30 years ago and never left again! Last summer was the coldest, wettest year on record here. If our summers stay like that, I'll be leaving for good! I do enjoy the 24 hours of light but not when it's raining all the time! I would have an even harder time living somewhere with grey skies and rain all the time!

Chum & Tehya sleep on the bed. When Stuart isn't home, they take over his side. They are both quite disgusted when he does come home! When he's home they curl up by my feet. He'll push them off; they know I won't!

phesina
01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Are you north of the Arctic Circle, Tamara?

Where are you originally from, and how long have you been up there?

Glacier
01-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Are you north of the Arctic Circle, Tamara?

Where are you originally from, and how long have you been up there?

No, I'm south of the Arctic Circle, although I could drive there! It does go through the Yukon. The Circle is the 66th parallel; I live at about the 61st; sub-arctic climate zone and below the tree line! There are no trees up at the Circle!

I grew up in Saskatchewan, moved all over Alberta & Saskatchewan for a few years, met Stuart in Calgary. We moved up here in January 2000.

krazyaboutkatz
01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
It's been in the 50's here for the past few days as the high but tomorrow it's supposed to be 65 as the high and on Friday it's supposed to be 69 as the high and only get down to about 45 for the low. I know I'm very spoiled living in CA.:)

david p
01-30-2013, 08:02 AM
It's a weird day temperature wise here in Butler. Currently it's 64F (in january yet!) with rain and thunderstorms on tap for most of the day,and this evening the temp will plunge down to (Brrrr!) 29F with snow showers coming. A roller coaster winter for sure!!

Roxyluvsme13
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Now it's 55, rainy, and we're on a tornado watch. Ugh.

Karen
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Today, today is melting day
The snow has sadly gone away
The ground still frozen, so water stands
Mud awaits to any who dare tread
Today, today is melting day
All the snow, bit by bit
Has gone away.

Steve Arnold
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
It was 58 yesterday morning. All the snow from our pre-Christmas blizzard was gone.
Today it's 22 and dropping, and we have six inches of fresh, blowing snow.

pomtzu
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Yesterday and today it has felt like early Spring. That comes to a screeching halt later today with high winds, thunderstorms, rain, and dropping temps back into the 30's. It was so balmy that I was out with Myndi for her potty break at 4 a.m., with no jacket on - just my jammies, slippers and robe!

beeniesmom
01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
The weather here has been so strange. It was 85 degrees yesterday but its really cold today. It's supposed to freeze tonight.

Roxyluvsme13
01-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Today is sunny, 38, and snow flurries. Bipolar weather, I tell ya. :p

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Today we had 46°F rain,and very strong wind.
we've had a very cold period between January 14 and last saturday. It was only 16°F, and the snow was 20cm thick. ! But sunday afternoon the temperature rose really quickly to 36°F, so all the snow melted; we got lots of rain and with a frozen underground, lots of accidents occurred ......! Sice then it hasn't stopped raining, and because of that most canals are at a maximum level, with risks of floods...! The ground water is much to high now, so we've had water in our cellar....! If it keeps raining that much, our street I want sun, and spring so badly!!!
If it keeps raining that much, our street will overflow.....!

Steve Arnold
02-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Here it's eight below with a twenty-six below windchill. Oberon woke me up to go out at 4:30 this morning, I don't think it took him long to decide that was a mistake. 13 was in no mood to stay out and sniff the air later on, either.

pomtzu
02-01-2013, 08:45 AM
It's cold again and our "Spring Break" is over. Yesterday the temps dropped like a lead balloon, and the wind was wicked. It's been snowing here since about 7 a.m. and there's about 3" so far, and supposed to end later this a.m. Just enough to be pretty, but the roads are very slick. No plow out this way yet and the cars are creeping by. I'm going to reschedule Myndi's vet appointment that she has for 11 today, since my little car does not handle well at all in the snow.

cassiesmom
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
8:45 AM and the thermometer is at zero. It's cold out.

Alysser
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Too cold! I need to get a job that is entirely indoors :p

Glacier
02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Our extreme cold snap appears to have ended. It supposed to be up to -7C today, 19F. That feels like spring around here! Locals will be walking around with no jackets! Of course, I'm leaving tomorrow, but I am glad my dog/cat/house sitter won't have deal with -40! He has enough work to do without the extra work caused by the cold!

chocolatepuppy
02-01-2013, 06:34 PM
After a few warm days we're back to cold. Down to 7* tonight.:(

Karen
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I, for one, am glad to be getting back to real winter temperatures! 50+ degrees in January always makes me wonder how we're gonna end up paying for that!

It has been windy for a couple days and the ground is back to be frozen, thank goodness!

chocolatepuppy
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I, for one, am glad to be getting back to real winter temperatures! 50+ degrees in January always makes me wonder how we're gonna end up paying for that!

It has been windy for a couple days and the ground is back to be frozen, thank goodness!

Funny you should mention that Karen. ;) Let me tell you how I paid for saving money on my gas bill last winter when we really had no winter.
I paid for it in FRONTLINE!!! Having never put flea meds on my cats and on the dogs only in the summer, took a bite out of my pocketbook.:rolleyes:
So bring on the cold! :cool:

cassiesmom
02-05-2013, 11:47 PM
This is not about the cold. I heard on the news tonight about an earthquake near the Solomon Islands that is affecting New Zealand and Australia, so I am thinking of PT'ers in that part of the world --- hope you are okay!

pomtzu
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Looks like some of you New Englanders (Karen, Sandie, sas), are going to get clobbered with "the big one" Friday/Saturday. Last report I saw said between 12-24 inches of snow - depending just where you are. Darn - I'm jealous!!! :(

Karen
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Looks like some of you New Englanders (Karen, Sandie, sas), are going to get clobbered with "the big one" Friday/Saturday. Last report I saw said between 12-24 inches of snow - depending just where you are. Darn - I'm jealous!!! :(

If you start driving now, you might beat the storm up here ....

I am hoping we at least get enough to shovel, unlike anything we've ha since Halloween 2011!

My prodocuer, in Florida, is already panicking for me, and called me from his Florida backyard, saying the sky overhead was eerie and coming my way!

momcat
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM

I am too, Ellie. Our local weatherman, Hurricane Schwartz, said we're in for a Nor'Easter Friday into Saturday. Trenton is in the 5" to 8" area with more as one heads north. THINK SNOW!!!

phesina
02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
We're getting that one tomorrow afternoon and night. They're saying about 3-4 inches around here, more farther north.

Karen
02-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I am looking forward to it, seems we will get the brunt of the storm in the Boston area - they are currently predicting 2 feet and more - or at least a foot depending on what weather model they are looking at. We've got plenty of food, water, tea, cocoa, and even plenty of birdseed for our wild buddies on hand, and will avoid the grocery store tomorrow!

Today the birds were very actives, and we had two squirrels at once (Nathaniel and Timmy) when we haven't seen Timmy in weeks!

pomtzu
02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
I am too, Ellie. Our local weatherman, Hurricane Schwartz, said we're in for a Nor'Easter Friday into Saturday. Trenton is in the 5" to 8" area with more as one heads north. THINK SNOW!!!

Channel 6 Accuweather is saying south of Philly it will be rain all day, changing over to wet snow before it ends. In other words - no accumulation. :mad:
Hurricane Schwartz - he is an odd one - don't you think??? :eek: Him and his bowties...........:confused::eek:

phesina
02-07-2013, 05:19 AM
I gather from this morning's weather report that there is a bigger system moving up the East Coast, which will join with the Alberta Clipper we're getting late this afternoon. You guys are getting much more. I'm glad you're ready for it and all stocked up.

Best wishes, all!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

pomtzu
02-07-2013, 05:27 AM
If you start driving now, you might beat the storm up here ....

Yeah - I can be there in 8 hours or so - so I've got plenty of time. Got an extra bed and room for me and Myndi?? :D Oh - and I can pick up the other snow lover, momcat, on my way up too.

kuhio98
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Drive carefully! I'm staying indoors today. Anyone with any sense would.

Attached is our temperature/wind chill. (Sorry, I can't seem to make it smaller).

pomtzu
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
drive carefully! I'm staying indoors today. Anyone with any sense would.

Attached is our temperature/wind chill. (sorry, i can't seem to make it smaller).

yikes!!!!!!!

Asiel
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
We're getting hit with a storm that was not supposed to travel this far north, for once they predicted only the south would be getting it--- WRONG--- it's been snowing since early morning and still hasn't stopped. So much for our snowless winter. I have a dutch door on the barn and the snow is as high as the middle split...ugh... I'm sure if the snow keeps up it will reach the barn windows and cover them...-:mad:

cassiesmom
02-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I got my car washed yesterday, when it was 38F and sunny. It stayed clean for less than twelve hours. It's been raining almost all day and now it is snowing. So the word I'd use tonight is sloppy. It's 32F now and sloppy out. Yuk.

phesina
02-08-2013, 06:10 AM
We've got another Alberta clipper (Candace, please keep them there!) right now, with about 3-4 inches of snow.

That's heading east to join up with the other storm traveling up the East Coast, which will produce that Nor'easter predicted later today for the northeast coast, in particular the Providence and Boston areas.

All you folks affected by this, please keep warm and safe! Prayers and best wishes that you all get through it safely.

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Rain rain go away, I want to see it snow today!

But it ain't gonna happen. Just heavy rain and wind - a mini Sandy. Might see a little snow fall much later, but with the ground so wet and not frozen, nothing will stick. :(

I want THIS - like we had a few years ago.........:D
Haven't had a decent snow since. :mad:

phesina
02-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Rain rain go away, I want to see it snow today!

But it ain't gonna happen. Just heavy rain and wind - a mini Sandy. Might see a little snow fall much later, but with the ground so wet and not frozen, nothing will stick. :(

I want THIS - like we had a few years ago.........:D
Haven't had a decent snow since. :mad:

I wish I could send you ours for the winter. I HATE it!!! :);)

david p
02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
The Pittsburgh area is dodging a bullet as far as this blizzard is concerned. We're to get a lot of rain today and this afternoon (for the rush hour yuck!) turn into freezing rain and 1" of snow overnight. My thoughts and prayers are for the PTers and everyone in the target zone of this SNOWZILLA!

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
What's this with naming every storm that comes along now??? :confused: This Nor'easter is named Nemo. I thought only hurricanes (and typhoons) were important enough to get a name. I wonder who came up with this brilliant idea? :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
What's this with naming every storm that comes along now??? :confused: This Nor'easter is named Nemo. I thought only hurricanes (and typhoons) were important enough to get a name. I wonder who came up with this brilliant idea? :rolleyes:

The Weather Channel came up with the idea, basically for communication. They contend that naming winter storms raises awareness and improves communication. The biggest winter storms get nicknames afterward anyway -- people in Chicago are still talking about the Blizzard of '67; the Weather Channel's Web page cites "Snowmageddon". But I think it will take time for "name that winter storm" to catch on.

http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-name-winter-storms-20121001

Karen
02-08-2013, 03:45 PM
It has been snowing here much of the day, I threw out some birdseed a little while ago, so now a whole bunch of juncos - a.k.a. snowbirds - are taking advantage. We've only got a couple inches now, but the bulk of the storm is due to arrive later.

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Batten down the hatches, Karen, cuz it looks like you just might get buried over night. We had rain all day - not even heavy - and we're supposed to get about 1-3 inches of snow tonight from the storm moving in from the west. The temp has really dropped and the wind has picked up, and it will probably be icy going later. Good night to stay home with the hot chocolate and board games!

Stay safe everyone that's in the path of this Nor'easter.

lizbud
02-08-2013, 05:34 PM
The Weather Channel came up with the idea, basically for communication. They contend that naming winter storms raises awareness and improves communication. The biggest winter storms get nicknames afterward anyway -- people in Chicago are still talking about the Blizzard of '67; the Weather Channel's Web page cites "Snowmageddon". But I think it will take time for "name that winter storm" to catch on.

http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-name-winter-storms-20121001

Do you remember the blizzard of '78 ? I actually do & it was a doozey. It shut our city down for days. Everything was so quiet outside.

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/blizzard-of-1978-sticks-in-mind-of-indiana-residents-35-years-later

Karen
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I remember the Blizzard of '78 quite well! It was not predicted to be a blizzard. just a snowstorm, and a few flakes had just started to fall that afternoon as I was getting of the late bus with a neighbor (we had both stayed after school for some activity). I turned to her and said, "I hope we have a blizzard!"

Two days later, when we had shovelled enough to see across the street, her first words to me were, "This is YOUR fault!"

True story!

Dad was stuck at work for 4 days, the roads were closed for 7. But as he was a stationary engineer, he was allowed on the road at the 4-day mark; people like having electricity! Lady's Human and I shovelled out the end of the driveway enough for him to pull his truck in, and where he stopped, the snow in front of the truck was level with the hood - and it was a full-size Ford Pick-up in the seventies. There were 4 foot drifts in spots, it was impossible to tell how much we actually got. But we ended up with 6-foot high snow banks on either side of the driveway, and our Saint Bernard, Freckles, was in heavaen, she loved to perch on top and "Boof!" at folks from above!

My sister was in college in Lowell, and when the trains were back running, they took one into Boston, and had the eerie experience of walking through the Boston streets with no cars present!

pomtzu
02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Yup - I remember the blizzard of 78 since it was 5 days before we could get out once the National Guard came thru to help open some roads. And the 2003 President's Day Blizzard when RB Sherbie showed up and never left. Then there were the back to back blizzards 3 or 4 years ago when weather patterns were turned upside down. The normally snowy areas got almost none, and the less snowy areas got clobbered all winter. Will I remember Nemo??? - I doubt it. No snow at all for us here, other than the few flakes that were blowing around this morning around 4 a.m. when I took Myndi out! :eek: Oh well -- there's still time for a good snowstorm here, tho we tend to run on a 7 year cycle here for bad storms.

Hope all of you to the north are safe, and at least still have power - even if you can't get out for a while. The snow will be ending soon - sometime today at least - I think! :p

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Do you remember the blizzard of '78 ? I actually do & it was a doozey. It shut our city down for days. Everything was so quiet outside.

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/blizzard-of-1978-sticks-in-mind-of-indiana-residents-35-years-later

Raises hand!:eek: At the time I lived in a house with a coal furnace, so no worries about freezing.

Of course our power never went out! Had a few in-laws stay a day or so with us as their power was out.

lizbud
02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
After the snow stopped ("78), we had mountainous drifts of snow, some near 6ft in our back yard. My kids had a ball jumping
from their treehouse off onto the drift & sliding down instead of coming down the ladder.:)

Karen
02-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Well, for this storm we got about 2 feet, but it is hard to measure as it was very windy, so drifts and shallows depending ... The snow had drifted by the front door so that, even though I had shoveled twice during the storm, it was 2 inches above the doorknob when Paul opened the door this morning. Our car is taller than those on either side, so only had about 4 inches of snow on top, others had 3-4 feet of drift on theirs! The driving ban will be lifted at 4 p.m. today, but lots of people will still be digging out by then!

pomtzu
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, for this storm we got about 2 feet, but it is hard to measure as it was very windy, so drifts and shallows depending ... The snow had drifted by the front door so that, even though I had shoveled twice during the storm, it was 2 inches above the doorknob when Paul opened the door this morning. Our car is taller than those on either side, so only had about 4 inches of snow on top, others had 3-4 feet of drift on theirs! The driving ban will be lifted at 4 p.m. today, but lots of people will still be digging out by then!

I guess it could have been worse, Karen. I was watching The Weather Channel and they reported that Milford, CT had 38". Now that's a whole lot of snow from a one day storm. :eek: Glad you made it thru okay.

After the snow stopped ("78), we had mountainous drifts of snow, some near 6ft in our back yard. My kids had a ball jumping
from their treehouse off onto the drift & sliding down instead of coming down the ladder.:)

That was a heck of a storm for drifts. It drifted up the back of our house so high, that there was only a few inches of daylight visible at the top of the sliding glass door. We had to go out the front and dig our way to the back to get access to the slider and clear that. We also lost the above ground pool to drifts up one side that collapsed the wall.

cloverfdx
03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Not cold here, the hot weather is getting ridiculous :(. Autumn my rear end mother nature.

Glacier
03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Mother Nature has been messing with us. It's been spring for the last couple weeks, temps near freezing, but it was too good to last! It's -22C right now, lows in the -30C range overnight! Gag...I was done with winter!

cloverfdx
03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
11c here at the moment, and getting down to about 9c overnight :).

Tamara it has been all over the place, some strange weather that's for sure.

Karen
03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
We have been pretty warm (above freezing) for many days now, and most of the snow is gone from behind the place, but the snow pile in front is still at least knee high! After a lot of rain! Needless to say, we are at least not in a drought at the moment!

Barbara
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
It was in the 50s last week but now it's back to snow again and the nights will be seriously below freezing with day temperatures around freezing. I am sooo waiting for spring;)

chocolatepuppy
03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
We have cold and snow today after having warmer temps last week.

Scooter's Mom
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
It's going to be in the low 90's this week I believe. It's about 84 right now. Not ready for summer... :(

Queen of Poop
03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Today we have blowing snow. Temp is -14 (6.8F). Windchill is -26 (-14.8F). Be staying indoors with the kitties today.

cloverfdx
03-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Currently at 11 pm Monday night it is 11.8c / 53f approx. Nice autumn weather :).

chocolatepuppy
03-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Winter Storm Warning from Mon, 8am until Mon, 4pm EDT
Raining, snowing, sleeting, ice to come! Hello spring!;)

moosmom
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
It's 35 degrees here. Weather reports are saying it's going to start snowing here around 5:30 pm and turn to sleet and freezing rain eventually. They're expecting anywhere from 3-8 inches depending on where you live.

Doesn't bother me. I have nowhere to go anyways!!!

mbsmum
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/tips-for-taking-the-perfect-cat-selfie

pomtzu
04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't find Mother Nature's sense of humor, to be funny at all. Today we had an official high of 77, even tho it felt warmer than that, and it's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow and Wednesday. What happened to Spring????

I think we can put away the snow shovel that's sitting on the back porch! :rolleyes::D

Taz_Zoee
04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I know..........I live in California and my idea of cold is in the 50s. But the past several weeks the weather can't seem to make up its mind! One day it is 82 degrees and the next morning it's pouring rain! Right now we are dealing with horrible winds and cold (upper 50s low 60s). And I've heard it is supposed to get into the upper 80s by the end of the week! :confused:

Queen of Poop
04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
It's April 8, 2013 and today we are currently at -8oC with a windchill of -12oC. We had freezing drizzle and then snow on top of it.

momcat
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Not cold enough! I love winter - hate spring and summer!

kaycountrygal
04-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Mon, Apr 8 2013
It was 77 today, forecast to be 80 Tues... 81 Wed... 77 Thur... Fri 73... Sat 67. I had the a/c on today and wore knee shorts and sat in swing at the pond--very nice and a breeze. It's 70 right now at 8pm.

Steve Arnold
04-08-2013, 07:50 PM
It hit 70 today finally. It's about time. Oh, yeah.

pomtzu
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Official high temps here:

Yesterday - 83
Today - 87

I HATE IT!!! It went from the 50's and 60's - to the 80's. Normal temps returning tomorrow - back in the 60's where it should be this time of year. This old body needs time to adjust - slowly! - to summer.

ETA - Today's high was just corrected to 89! BLAHHHHH............

Bonny
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Winter is determined to stay & won't give spring a break. There is cold rain & sleet with lots of wind & mud everywhere with temperatures in the low 40's. Tonight there is more freezing rain coming with a dip down into the low 30's. It is just down right sour outside.

Asiel
04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Winter won't release it's grip on us this year--- we still have lots of snow and they just predicted more mixed with rain and sleet for the rest of the week such fun. Easter has come and gone but it seems like it just wasn't here yet this year , we were still knee deep in snow and winter jackets, still are. Some of the snow did melt over the weekend and the past few days so I hope the forecast is wrong. Right now it's only 1 degree C.

cassiesmom
04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
It's 60F today but everything is wet and flooded. Yeccch! Too much rain fell too fast, flooding highways, streets, underpasses and the Deep Tunnel system in Chicago. They had to open the locks and let water into Lake Michigan. It's still cloudy. I know that April showers bring May flowers, and I know that we were far behind on moisture with last year's drought. Hopefully this will go a long way toward catching us up, but what a wet, sloppy day.

Karen
04-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I am grateful we have had dry weather for the most part this week, so investigators were able to gather as much evidence as possible from the bomb scenes.

The days have been bright and sunny, but still feel somber around here of course, as we recover from the tragedy that touched so many lives.

kuhio98
04-18-2013, 07:21 PM
It is currently 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit here in Prudhoe Bay.

Spring? What's that? :confused: :confused: :p

cassiesmom
09-15-2013, 04:13 PM
It's 57F and it's been raining for most of the day. I enjoyed looking at Pomtzu's photos of Wolfy :D and Sowa's pictures of Loki :D in the sunshine! That was a treat for me on a yucky day. This is more like mid-October than mid-September.

pomtzu
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
It was in the 40's when I got up around 6 a.m., but it warmed up nicely to 75 this afternoon, It was a beautiful and clear day all day. It's supposed to be in the 70's all week. So glad that the hot summer days are over for yet another year.

carole
09-15-2013, 05:37 PM
gorgeous spring is here in NZ, crispy cold mornings and nights still and we had some bad storms last week, but typical of spring, along with all the sneezing grr,but other than that brilliant sunshine today and very pleasant 12 c or 53F with high of 17 predicted, my kind of temps .:)

kittycats_delight
09-16-2013, 05:44 AM
about 30°C (86°F) here

mrspunkysmom
11-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Today and tomorrow morning are our first real frost. The temp has been falling all day. It will be below freezing tonight and the winds are already 25 mph plus. the kitties are all in the living room near the kerosene heater.

Karen
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
It is currently 30°F here, but "feels like 19°F" and is supposed to go down into the low twenties, maybe even the teens overnight!

We had some snow this morning, but just air snow as the ground was too warm for it to last!

chocolatepuppy
11-13-2013, 04:56 AM
27°F

FEELS LIKE 19°

And a few inches of snow on the ground!:D

redbird
11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
It's in the 30's here in NJ but very sunny.

Taz_Zoee
11-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Cold?? It hasn't been cold yet! Except in my office at work. We all walk around with sweaters and coats on all day.
The lowest the temp in my car has shown was a couple weeks ago in the morning it said 44F. But that was only that one morning. Otherwise, it's in the upper 50s in the morning and upper 60s all day. It even rained a little on my way to work yesterday, but still not cold.
I'll get some cold this weekend.........going up to Lake Tahoe!!

Gotta love this California weather!!! :D

Karen
11-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Gotta love this California weather!!! :D

That's what I have heard! Paul sometimes threatens to move there when the winter weather gets too much for him!

Roxyluvsme13
11-13-2013, 10:48 PM
31... Brrrrr.

cassiesmom
11-14-2013, 03:54 PM
It's 50 F today and supposed to be in the low 60s over the weekend.

cloverfdx
11-15-2013, 07:41 AM
Currently 8c/ 46.4F and only 2 weeks away from Summer rofl. Global warming anyone. It has been the coldest November so far in 20 years.

moosmom
11-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Today it's actually quite nice here. It's going up to the 50's this afternoon. I've got all my windows open and there's a cat in every window.

Karen
11-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Yes, it was pretty nice here this afternoon, too - I didn't even really need a coat when I was running errands, but had one with me just in case. It was 60° F this afternoon! Quite a change, it is not feeling like it will rain soon, though none is predicted until tomorrow afternoon!

cassiesmom
11-27-2013, 04:42 PM
East coast PT, how are you doing? We've had a sunny but chilly day here, highs in low 30s F. I heard on the radio that over 200 flights have been cancelled nationwide due to the weather.

Karen
11-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Warm - about 55-60ish here and raining, raining, downpours, back to just raining ... Thankfully the temperature drop is not supposed to happen until the rain stops, it'll be 20 tomorrow morning, so any puddles will have frozen over!

mrspunkysmom
11-28-2013, 12:04 AM
30s which is cold for us when it is all day.

Brrrrrr This is reality http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51741&d=1315145071

This is my fantasy. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=51737&d=1315144924

chocolatepuppy
11-28-2013, 06:46 AM
15*F here in NE Ohio this Thanksgiving morning.

issop
11-28-2013, 09:56 AM
30f upto about 50f today happy turkey day..

mon
11-28-2013, 10:33 AM
It is 11c here in Surrey B.C. Canada. Sunny and blue sky :D

Catty1
11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
It's 26F here, going up to 45F. We have a chinook this week, which features a long, wide grey cloud like a canopy, called a chinook arch. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/waterton/natcul/natcul1/e.aspx Sunday and Monday we were supposed to have snow - but now Sunday is RAIN and Monday is SNOW. Not driving in those conditions!:eek:

cassiesmom
12-09-2013, 11:56 PM
It's 4F (-15.5C) tonight. Just really cold out.

Karen
12-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Today started out with pretty snow, then slowly changed to rain, yielding not-so-pretty slush everywhere but Tuesday we are supposed to get some nice snow again!

popcornbird
12-10-2013, 03:19 AM
23 low and 48 high. For us Californians, it is ridulously COLD!!!! I'm honestly enjoying it. :)

chocolatepuppy
12-10-2013, 04:57 AM
22°f feels like 13° with wind chill ;)

cloverfdx
12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
11c & the heating is one. Best summer ever :).

kittycats_delight
12-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Looking at the temps most of you guys are experiencing makes me feel like a whiner but damn I am cold. It's too cold for me. Feeling the cold more this year than last year...I have no insulation left.

It claims it is 11°C here now (52°F) but to me feels more like -11. I really have no tolerance at all for the cold. :o

lizbud
12-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Looking at the temps most of you guys are experiencing makes me feel like a whiner but damn I am cold. It's too cold for me. Feeling the cold more this year than last year...I have no insulation left.

It claims it is 11°C here now (52°F) but to me feels more like -11. I really have no tolerance at all for the cold. :o

Then you wouldn't like here in Indy right now, it's 12 degrees F and feels like temp is 1 degree.

Taz_Zoee
12-10-2013, 10:35 AM
LOL, like Michelle in Italy I complain when it dips into the 50's (F). We have been in the 40's during the day and down into the upper 20's low 30's at night. Not your usual California weather!!!

Catty1
12-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Right now at 10 am it's 7F and going to a HIGH of 2 below. (This is noted as an "abnormal temperature trend" :rolleyes::D ). We just came through another heavy snowfall warning and added about another inch to the stuff already here!

Litterati
12-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Here according to Weather Network it's 25F - feels like 14F - to me feels like 'way below that "F". :mad: With a "snow squall threat" looming over. How delightful, been out already, now me and Dorry-kitty are in for the duration. With the heat turned up high!

Karen
12-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Snowing, snowing, but still above freezing at 34°F , so not that much is building up, really! The birds are very busy - guess I ought to put socks and shoes on and put more feed out there!

redbird
12-11-2013, 11:29 AM
The last time I saw on TV was 29 degrees, supposed to go up to 34. Unfortunately the snow that came down yesterday is ice now.

wolflady
12-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Lots of chilly temps!! It's currently 26 here with a windchill of 18 degrees. We haven't had a white Christmas in ages, so I hope some of this snow sticks around till then but not sure if that will happen since we're due for a warm up and rain by the 21st. :(

Bonny
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
- 3 degrees F., today with a 4 inch snow cover but the good old sun is out today, better throw another log on the fire. :)

chocolatepuppy
12-11-2013, 09:10 PM
20°F, wind chill 9°. Going down to 11* F :rolleyes: We have a little bit of snow.

mrspunkysmom
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
37 and dry. A monsoon and COLD weather just left us. Our rainy season ins usually late Summer or early Fall. It's been a strange late Fall.

Catty1
12-14-2013, 09:56 AM
For the person here that lives in Montana, this info that I got in my email today won't surprise them at all: "Did you know...that today is Cold, Colder, Coldest Day? From a high of 63 degrees Fahrenheit at noon on December 14, 1924, to a low of -21 degrees Fahrenheit at midnight, the town of Fairfield, Montana, experienced the most dramatic temperature drop in a 12-hour period -- 83 degrees! Brrr." :)

kuhio98
12-15-2013, 11:00 AM
EOA = East Operating Area, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/Weather_zps7690393f.jpg

Karen
12-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Makes our 27°F (feels like 19°F) seem downright cozy! ;)

chocolatepuppy
12-15-2013, 09:45 PM
14°F feels like -1° from TWC. I believe them. I was just out with pups. ;)

cassiesmom
12-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Not so much today. It's in the upper 30s F so the snow is starting to melt. It's supposed to stay right above freezing over the weekend, with rain changing to freezing rain. Then the temps drop into single digits early next week. So it will be a cold Christmas around here.

dukedogsmom
12-20-2013, 11:45 PM
24 degrees right now. Supposed to get about eight inches of snow starting tomorrow evening. Glad. I'm off Sunday. Will have to drive home from work in it. That makes me nervous since I havent had much experience with it. Took tjis pic theother day. Clouds were so spectacular I had to stop. Wind was blowing like crazy, blowing snow around. I'm so glad I stopped. This is one of my best, I think. I'm very happy with it.

phesina
12-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Beautiful photograph! Thank you!

lizbud
12-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Beautiful scene.:) I'm glad you stopped to capture it. Thanks for sharing.:)

momcat
12-21-2013, 05:44 PM
After a week of below freezing temperatures and a trecherous snow and ice storm last Saturday, it hit 67 degrees today and we're looking at 70 degrees tomorrow. So much for the first day of winter, my favorite season.

Roxyluvsme13
12-21-2013, 06:59 PM
On the first day of Winter in good ol' East TN at 8:02 pm, it is 74 degrees outside. There is something wrong with that LOL

Karen
12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Today, today is a melting day
A melting day, a melting day
Ice and slush all gone away
On a melting day, a melting day

Small snow piles have gone away
Only the big ones are here to stay

Ground appears that was hidden away
Not today, but yesterday
The ice on the sidewalks has gone away

Only the deepest snow is allowed to stay
To shine bright white on Christmas Day
Today, today is a melting day!

(Just doggerel from wandering about in far-too-warm to be winter weather this afternoon!)

It was 50-something degrees, and is still 40-something well after dark!

RatterpriseCommand
12-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Cold enough for snow!

lizbud
12-22-2013, 12:18 PM
A melting day, a melting day
Ice and slush all gone away

Small snow piles have gone away
Only the big ones are here to stay

Ground appears that was hidden away
Not today, but yesterday
The ice on the sidewalks has gone away

Only the deepest snow is allowed to stay
To shine bright white on Christmas Day
Today, today is a melting day!

(Just doggerel from wandering about in far-too-warm to be winter weather this afternoon!)

It was 50-something degrees, and is still 40-something well after dark!

You know what comes after "melting day" for dog owners don't you? Poop scooping day. After weeks of freezing cold and snow, there's plenty to scoop.:D

Karen
12-23-2013, 12:12 AM
You know what comes after "melting day" for dog owners don't you? Poop scooping day. After weeks of freezing cold and snow, there's plenty to scoop.:D

Yeah, the newly revealed "treasures"! But we had only enough melting for the minor stuff, and one small patch of grass lout back, much of the actual ground is still snow-covered for now! And, by the way, the "Melting Day" can be sung to the tune of "I Saw Three Ships A'Sailing In," one of the old Christmas Carols I still find pretty silly, even now. Um, kid was born in a stable in Bethlehem, which is after all, in a country/region that is - whatever it is called in whatever century - mostly desert.

lizbud
12-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Temp 9 degrees F, feels like -4 Very Cold. Burrrrr

Asiel
12-24-2013, 11:27 AM
It was -24C last night. the sun came out so we're hitting-19C today and I think we'll be lucky if the high hits -15C. Going back down to -25C tonight and Christmas day we're supposed to see a bit warmer.

Merry Christmas to all the PT's no matter what your temperatures might be... Christmas will make us forget this cold.

chocolatepuppy
12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
15°F FEELS LIKE 3° :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
12-24-2013, 07:51 PM
It is very warm here in CA. It was in the mid 60s when we left our house at 430pm.

Karen
12-24-2013, 09:26 PM
It is now appropriately cold, the former puddles are now frozen over, and crackle when stepped on, the sky is clear and bright with stars, good Christmas Eve weather, in my mind! We still have plenty of snow on the ground, and snowbanks, but roads and walkways are clear, so that was nice!

mrspunkysmom
12-24-2013, 09:27 PM
WArm during the day. Cold at night. It's either warm and raining (extended monsoon season) or cold and dry.

Bonny
12-25-2013, 06:27 AM
14 degrees F here this Christmas morning with a fresh coating, 2 inches of snow during Christmas Eve. Very pretty & quiet out. Have to throw another log on the fire. :)

mrspunkysmom
12-25-2013, 11:46 AM
It was supposed to get into the upper 30s last night. It went below freezing to 26. Brrrrr

Karen
12-26-2013, 02:01 PM
It's snowing, it's snowing!
Pretty touch-up snow
So lovely as it falls and covers
All the bare patches
The dirty ice at the edges of roadways
Fills the aur with lightness
Highlights still branches in white lace

It's snowing, it's snowing
Pretty touch-up snow
Just dusting the landscape like
Grandma dusting gingerbread
with confectioner's sugar!

Bonny
12-28-2013, 08:33 PM
It was a regular heat wave here today 39 degrees F., the sun was shining bright, we let the stove go out & opened some of the windows for awhile.

Karen
01-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Let's morph this into a "What are your predicted totals for the storm much of the Eastern half of the country is about to get? I noticed from the map on Weather.com that the 12"-18" swath stretches from us in the Boston area all the way back into where Phred used to live in Ohio!

Catty1
01-05-2014, 11:35 AM
At 10:00 am local time (it's 10:35 now) it's 25 below F with a wind chill of 42 below F.

YIKES!

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Only supposed to have 2-3 inches of snow here in NE Ohio. Dropping to -9*F tonight. :eek: 4* F for a high Tuesday.

david p
01-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Only supposed to have 2-3 inches of snow here in NE Ohio. Dropping to -9*F tonight. :eek: 4* F for a high Tuesday.

Chocolatepuppy, we're having just about about the same conditions as you have here in Cabot, PA. It's 21 degrees right now, but with the wind chill it will soon go down to the single digits today with snow showers. Tonight it'll be -8 with a high? of 5 degrees! BRRRRRRR!!

Karen
01-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Okay, right now, we are having the odd day - 57° F and pouring rain - so yes, with all the snow we had - slush happens!

Lady's Human
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Warm (40 deg) this morning, then dropped like a stone. 27 right now, windy, and supposed to hit -5 by morning.

By the way, when did 25 MPH winds become "breezy" in forecaster's lexicon?

momcat
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Right now it's a tropical 42 degrees and raining in Trenton. Weather reports say the temps will drop to 15 degrees by the afternoon rush and by tomorrow morning we'll be back to sub zero cold. They're also saying this is the coldest weather we've had in 20 years.

lolli94
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Was -6*F at 8 this morning, and windy! Not sure what it is now.

cassiesmom
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM
-13F (-25C) in Chicago. But it is brightly sunny, which is a pleasure to see even though it is very cold.

kuhio98
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Man, the midwest is really getting cold temperatures. It's colder in Illinois and Indiana than it is here in Prudhoe Bay (-2F).
And we're on the Arctic Ocean! Huddle up by the fires. Hope it passes soon.

mrspunkysmom
01-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Well, the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, the Virginias are experiencing record cold snaps. Tonight it is supposed to drop to 9 deg F in the Upstate. The wind chill could be as low as -5.

We have a two hour delay tomorrow for school. Most of our area is rural, and cars may not start the extreme cold . It's just easier to have a delay.

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
At 4:30pm temps at -2°F FEELS LIKE -25° :eek: Ran pups out after work, can't even breathe!:(

lizbud
01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
At 4:30pm temps at -2°F FEELS LIKE -25° :eek: Ran pups out after work, can't even breathe!:(

The Governor declared a emergency "Code Red" banning all but emergency vehicles on roads. All schools & state gov. buildings closed today.

It's -12 F and wind chill at -37. Canada can have it's weather back anytime now.:)

Grace
01-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Right now - minus 14.3 F, wind chill minus 29°. No school today; none tomorrow, and I'm thinking they might be off Wednesday, also.

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
-8°F FEELS LIKE -34°

Partly Cloudy / Windy

Dangerous wind chills. Limit outdoor exposure.

^^^^^
Right now from the weather channel. I dread getting the pups out one last time tonight and in the morning.:(

chocolatepuppy
01-07-2014, 05:26 AM
-11°F FEELS LIKE -35°

Dangerous wind chills. Limit outdoor exposure.

^^^^^
from the Weather Channel

Lady's Human
01-07-2014, 05:51 AM
It's -14 here, schools are closed. :rolleyes:

If Watertown, NY cancelled school every time the temp hit -14, they'd be in school year round making up for all the cancellation days. The first winter I was up there it didn't hit above 0 for the month of February. It's cold, dress intelligently and deal with it. These weather alarmists need to stop. Yes, they get ratings with their hysteria. However, it's cold now, it's been cold before, life goes on.

cassiesmom
01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Still cold in Chicago this morning, right now -9F (-23C). The good news- we should be back to high 20s/low 30s later this week (they're saying Thursday into the weekend). The bad news- with warmer temps comes a daily chance of more snow. Great. I heard a funny line on the radio last night: "The North Pole called. They'd like their weather back."

Lady's Human
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
It's so cold that an escaped inmate down in Richard's neck of the woods turned himself in!

Blackburn Escapee Suffers Frostbite And Turns Self Into Police

http://www.lex18.com/news/blackburn-escapee-suffers-frostbite-and-turns-self-into-police

Karen
01-07-2014, 08:01 PM
It's so cold that an escaped inmate down in Richard's neck of the woods turned himself in!

Blackburn Escapee Suffers Frostbite And Turns Self Into Police

http://www.lex18.com/news/blackburn-escapee-suffers-frostbite-and-turns-self-into-police

Hee hee - maybe some folks will think twice. That reminds me of an incident from many years ago, when we had the guys as roommates. Guy #1 and #2 (not referred to by name as both now have kids who might some day Google them) decided to hiking in the White Mountains in the winter. Well, they brought fuel for a camp stove but not the stove itself, and lost the trail on the way to one of the AMC huts.

Guy #1 - Let's just break off some tree branches and try to light a fire to stay warm.
Guy #2 - We can't do that, it's illegal! We might get arrested!
Guy #1 - Jail is heated, I'd prefer that to freezing to death on the mountain!

cassiesmom
01-08-2014, 01:53 AM
It's still -3F in Chicago tonight. But it's supposed to be in the 40s over the weekend.:confused: I saw a funny post on Facebook about Chicago's weather- "It's so cold that the politicians are putting their hands in their own pockets."

Alysser
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
16 degrees here... it's a real heat wave:p

cassiesmom
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
It's remarkable how different -15 and +15F feel. Today is also bright and sunny, and there is less wind. We're getting a break from the very cold weather.

Karen
01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Due to, I guess that great mitigating factor called the Atlantic Ocean, our temps didn't stay as bitterly cold for as long as many of you! It got all the way up to +19 today, which felt fine!

mrspunkysmom
01-08-2014, 04:42 PM
It reached 14 F last night and 9F the night before. It was still freaky cold both mornings at 10AM.

I was worried about mechanical failures, but the reason for the delay was for child safety. It doesn't get that cold here and even the 20s it's not for long. Most people do not have heavy coats or sweaters with hats and mittens. I have a heavy coat because of the blizzard before my mother's funeral. So a lot of these kids were outside very underdressed.

Today's high of 41 felt balmy. I even took off my coat for a few hours.

It will be high 50s and low 60s by the weekend.

chocolatepuppy
01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
It's remarkable how different -15 and +15F feel. Today is also bright and sunny, and there is less wind. We're getting a break from the very cold weather.

Isn't that the truth???;) 20* F feels like a heat wave today!:D

NoahsMommy
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Apparently Southern CA is on 'normal' strike! It's 89* with 9% humidity and we have wind warnings, fire warnings and ocean swell warnings. What the heck is going on over here? It's winter!!! :eek:

Karen
01-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Apparently Southern CA is on 'normal' strike! It's 89* with 9% humidity and we have wind warnings, fire warnings and ocean swell warnings. What the heck is going on over here? It's winter!!! :eek:

I will not let Paul see this - or he'd be on a plane there! We are far warmer than normal for January - right now it is 40° F, chance of rain - and he'd still much prefer 89° any day of the week!

david p
01-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Well, everybody it's currently -4 degrees F in Cabot at Concordia. It will reach a "high" of 11 degrees F this afternoon and we have about 3" of snow on the ground. I thought this was Pennsylvania, not the north pole!!

momcat
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Today it's 5 degrees with a wind chill of 12 below plus there's about a foot of snow to shovel. Schools, businesses and state offices are closed due to the weather. Reports are saying this brutal cold is expected to last into next week. Last night the weatherman, Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz said this is the first time three major snow storms have hit before February 1 since meteorologists have been keeping track of these things.

chocolatepuppy
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
8* F . :rolleyes: Woke up to -6*. Not going to end for awhile.:(

Asiel
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Those mild temperatures sure make me drool. Last night it went down to -38C and tonight it's supposed to go down to - 45C so I think the downfill jackets are here to stay. This is mid February weather, maybe we'll have a mild February. They finally plowed the roads but we're supposed to get more snow tomorrow :mad:
At least all the lakes are frozen so we don't have to worry about any ski-doos going through thin ice by rushing it.

Bonny
01-23-2014, 06:54 AM
-11 this morning with a wind chill of -35 & suppose to go down to a -45. Schools are running to hours late today. Hopefully the diesel fuel on the buses doesn't jell up. Winds blow snow on the roads & make for a slick mess, so a person has to really slow down & drive safe if one even needs to be out & about. Will throw another log on the fire.

david p
01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
8* F . :rolleyes: Woke up to -6*. Not going to end for awhile.:(

Chocolatepuppy, although it's snowing lightly in Butler, Pa, it's 9 degrees ABOVE zero with a high of 15, a minor heatwave compared to yesterday!

chocolatepuppy
01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Chocolatepuppy, although it's snowing lightly in Butler, Pa, it's 9 degrees ABOVE zero with a high of 15, a minor heatwave compared to yesterday!

David, we're gonna have a heat wave this weekend, up into the low 20's. Then back to severe cold again.:(

Karen
01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
It is currently 12F here, but predicted to go down to -5F to 8 above tonight!

mrspunkysmom
01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
David, we're gonna have a heat wave this weekend, up into the low 20's. Then back to severe cold again.:(

We are having a cold wave here. 14 F two nights in a row. Ridiculous. And the school system is getting weird about it anymore. I guess they aren't worried about children that do not have cold weather gear waiting out at bus stops.

chocolatepuppy
01-24-2014, 05:27 AM
-4*F with wind chill, feels like -18*:(

cassiesmom
01-24-2014, 07:11 AM
In yesterday's paper the Chicago Sun-Times described the weather as "unyielding", which I think is a really good description of how this winter in Chicago has been. It's now -5F just past 7 AM.

Karen
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
"Feels like" -1F!

RICHARD
01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
This past week the local news told about a crime spree where a guy had robbed a store, stole a car and fired at gun atn another car on the freeway in an apparent road rage incident.

I laughed and thought that was really a ROAD RAGE incident.

-------------------

Coming from California, we only 'rage' if the window of the car is down.

This guy must have been REALLY ANGRY if he rolled down the window of the car while it was about 10-15 degrees -and the wind blowing past at 55 miles an hour?

That's almost -61 degrees.

I don't think I could muster enough anger to pull that off?

katladyd
01-25-2014, 12:30 PM
The past two weeks it's been between 75 - 80 degrees. Everyone is going to the beach and wearing t-shirts and flip-flops. I LOVE IT HERE!:love:

Randi
01-25-2014, 01:30 PM
We have approx. 21F, but it's windy, so it feels a lot colder. Ugh!

RICHARD
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM
The past two weeks it's been between 75 - 80 degrees. Everyone is going to the beach and wearing t-shirts and flip-flops. I LOVE IT HERE!:love:

haha, There are people all bundled up and sledding right around the corner!!!!!!:p;)

Karen
01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Positively balmy here - currently 36°F - though it "feels like 27F" and the temp will be dropping now that the sun is down, but we're supposed to get snow! Just a little ...

Karen
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Boy, today, I looked at the temp before the leaving the house, thought, eh, it's 20+ degrees, don't need to put on hat and gloves, it'll be fine, but stepped out the door and got hit with a gust of wind that made me go back and get them! The biggest challenge was after church, we were moving a whole bunch of tables in - they had been borrowed by the Watertown site for a huge gathering, and were coming back home to the Belmont site. They are big molded plastic tables with metal legs that fold up. They are light enough for one person to carry a six-foot-long one, but as I was halfway to the door with one, I nearly got blown over, as the wind shifted at caught the table like a sail! It also blew all my hair across my face, so I was blinded temporarily! Thankfully, a barrel full of sand was in position to keep me from going too far, but with my lack of good balance, I decided I'd better stay inside and help put table on stacks as they came in, instead! Safer for everyone concerned!

The "feels like" temp must have been well below zero when those gusts hit!

chocolatepuppy
01-27-2014, 05:25 AM
Looks like I'll be moving back from the 'snow' thread to the 'how cold is it thread' tonight. :rolleyes:

Bonny
01-27-2014, 06:33 AM
-11 this morning with a wind chill of -35 & 35-45 mph wind gusts I still like winter :eek:

Karen
01-27-2014, 08:26 PM
It was warmish today, but the temperature is dropping quickly, and is already back down to 25 but is predicted to go down to 7 tonight!

chocolatepuppy
01-28-2014, 05:24 AM
-12°f feels like -24° :(

chocolatepuppy
01-28-2014, 05:44 AM
-12°f feels like -24° :(

No wait, it's getting colder! :rolleyes:
-13°F feels like -25°

RICHARD
01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Earlier this week the igniter went out on the HVAC unit. We went on a 'thermostat watch' for a few days, when the indoot temp hit 53, we knew there was something wrong.....

Seriously?

THis weather sucks.

carole
01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Having the strangest weather down under .jan/February out hottest months,however mornings and evenings have been like seven or eight degrees Celsius ,during the day about 24 ,which is more like our march weather,however I am loving it,I hate the heat,looking at 26 today,getting hotter.,hardly used our air con this year,so good saving on the power bill.

Karen
01-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Earlier this week the igniter went out on the HVAC unit. We went on a 'thermostat watch' for a few days, when the indoot temp hit 53, we knew there was something wrong.....

Seriously?

THis weather sucks.

Oh, Richard, welcome to what the rest of the country lives with - you sure got spoiled living in California! ;)

momcat
01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Right now it's 5 degrees not counting the wind chill. When my son left for work this morning it was -4. Now they're saying more snow is on the way but no word on how much. I'm loving this weather and get outside as much as possible. I thought it might be fun to record or tape these weather reports of sub-zero temperatures then play them back during the inevitable summer heat waves.

mrspunkysmom
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
29 and snowing. It will get colder

chocolatepuppy
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Already -5* at 9:30pm. :rolleyes:

cassiesmom
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
It's a good day. 21F, not too windy and bright sunshine. i'd have gone to the car wash but it is supposed to snow tomorrow and Wednesday. I'd take more days like this.

phesina
02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
How are you Canadian folks making out with all this?

It's been miserable around here (southeast Michigan) as far as I'm concerned, but you guys are SO much farther north. How are you doing? (Or is this just, ho hum, another cold snowy winter, and you Yanks are SUCH wimps!)

Catty1
02-05-2014, 11:04 AM
This has been the coldest winter for most of Canada in some time. Locally we had bad wind chills in November - last year just a couple of days in December. The wind chills lately are lasting at least a week.

This morning in Cochrane, AB is was -33 C at 8 am; the wind chill made it -43C. That's -27.4 F and -45.4 respectively.

At 9:30 am it warmed up to a balmy -30 C with the chill of -40 C. That's - 22F and - 40F. (Numbers are the same at - 40).

But it's nice and sunny out! :D

lizbud
02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
This has been the coldest winter for most of Canada in some time. Locally we had bad wind chills in November - last year just a couple of days in December. The wind chills lately are lasting at least a week.

This morning in Cochrane, AB is was -33 C at 8 am; the wind chill made it -43C. That's -27.4 F and -45.4 respectively.

At 9:30 am it warmed up to a balmy -30 C with the chill of -40 C. That's - 22F and - 40F. (Numbers are the same at - 40).

Dang. That makes me cold just thinking about it. Please keep it up there , ok?

phesina
02-05-2014, 07:56 PM

YOW! :eek::eek::eek:

How many seconds does it take for any exposed skin to get frostbitten?

chocolatepuppy
02-06-2014, 07:12 AM
4*F right now. Don't think anything of this cold anymore.:rolleyes: