PDA

View Full Version : Ode To A 17yr Old Dog

lizbud
01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
I love this story.:love::love: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/old-man-doug-an-ode-to-our-17-year-old-dog

pomtzu
01-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks for making me cry, Liz!:(

Myndi will be 17 on Thursday, and tho she is still sharp as a tack most of the time, she has her "senior moments". Her hearing is still good and she has cataracts but still sees well in spite of them. The legs are pretty wobbly, but she never misses a chance to run (trot) to get in the middle of any activity that she thinks she should be included in. I just enjoy her every day that she remains with me....:love:...for sooner, rather than later, it will all come to an abrupt halt.:( How very lucky I have been to have her in my life for so long.

lizbud
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry Ellie.:( I thought the story could not be described as sad, but maybe bittersweet. No doubt about it, Doug is a much loved pooch no matter what his age.:love::love: (just like your Myndi) :love:

maid25cats
01-21-2013, 08:08 PM
That was a beautiful story.
nice to know that he's that important that he goes with them
or they don't go at all.

I seen something on criagslist a few month ago saying their kids were grow now
and they wanted to travel. So it was time to give away their 16yr old cat :mad::mad::mad:
did I say:mad::mad::mad:

Doug is a lucky, much loved dog:love::D bless him family:love:

Steve Arnold
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I just about lost it reading this. Oberon is now just three months from his eighteenth birthday, and so much of that article hits so close to home.

chocolatepuppy
01-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Very nice story.:love: Blessed is the person who knows the love of an old dog.

pomtzu
01-22-2013, 05:46 AM
I thought the story could not be described as sad, but maybe bittersweet.

Bittersweet it definitely is - way more than sad. It actually does my heart good to read stories such as this, because I know that the dog was very much loved and well taken care of, or it wouldn't have reached such a wonderful old age.

I'm just overly sensitive and the tears come on easily - with Myndi being so old and also having lost Sparky only a few months ago. As Steve Arnold said in his post: "so much of that article hits so close to home".

I really wish sometimes that I wasn't such a big softie........:(

Twisterdog
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Awwww. Lucky is fifteen and Pepper is sixteen, although, except for their white faces, you would never know it. They are still full of all things terrier.