PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful 17 y.o. Bartie has cancer

moosmom
01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Bartie had his check up on Tuesday. His blood work came back with elevated white cell counts. He's been vomiting and has diarrhea. He lost 2 pounds in less than 5 months. The vet says he's got intestinal lymphoma. She said in order to definitively rule out IBD, a biopsy would have to be done. Given his age, frailty and weight, it would be way too invasive. So, he's on steroids, strong antibiotics, along with his other meds. She said he's not in pain. All I can do now is keep him comfortable. He's down to 5.3 lbs and is skin and bones. He's been pooping in my shower, which I believe is due to dementia. I don't mind as its easy to clean up. He sleeps 23 hours a day and has lost his hearing. I've only had him for 2 years but I ADORE him. I had a chat with him and told him that I love him, but it's okay to "go" whenever he wants to. I am beside myself. I find myself checking to see if he's still breathing. Could I ask everyone to keep my old man in your prayers?

kaycountrygal
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh My! I am so sorry to read about your boy. I know you'll do your best to keep him comfy. It is so hard when our beloved pets get sick and cant be cured. I went through it with my Luke and toward the end I actually prayed that he would go naturally because he was so weak that he couldnt walk...just crawl. I couldnt stand to see him like that any longer (I prob waited too long) and took him to vet to be PTS. He went so easy. If you have to do that, I know your Bartie will understand and know that you're helping him. You're both in my prayers.

phesina
01-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Prayers and loving good wishes and comfort are coming from us to your dear beloved Bartie and to you too, Donna.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Freedom
01-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Bartie has had 2 marvelous years which he would not have had with you, Donna. Remember that as you move through this.

Poor boy, his quality of life is not very good from the sounds of it. Prayers from RI for both of you.

Karen
01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
You and he will be in our prayers.

Purr-tender
01-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Donna, I hate to hear this. I know how you feel. I am going through the exact same thing with my Mo, who is 16 and has been my big boy since he came into my life at 2 months old. He did have the scope done and biopsy. He was diagnosed with IBD. The treatment is the same as for lymphoma. He has not responded to any of the meds they have tried. He went from a honking 20 lbs down to 9. He eats constantly but stays so thin, you can feel all his bones. He even wakes me up during the night to feed him and has stopped using the litterbox to poo (which is diarrhea) but does use it to pee.He started with the vomitting but we do have that stopped. If Bart does have IBD it isn't curable, but it is treatable. I hope your vet's treatment plan works for him.

cassiesmom
01-18-2013, 12:21 AM
You and he will be in our prayers.

From here, too (((HUGS)))

And a candle http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=17722671

katladyd
01-18-2013, 03:09 AM
Moosmom, sending virtual hugs to you and Bartie!! My Mac is getting up there in age and was also losing weight. Thankfully, he had hyperthyroid, which is treatable. I hope that Bartie responds to the meds and lives the rest of his life peacefully and without pain. Sending up prayers for you both.

sasvermont
01-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Donna, I am sorry to hear about your kitty. It is always a difficult time. Decisions, decisions.

When my Miley girl was going through the later stages of her intestinal problems, the vet told me that the reason she stopped using a litter box was because she associated the litter box with the pain that was happening when she had a bowel movement. That is why she would go in odd places and seldom in the litter box (toward the end of her illness). It made sense to me. That was when I allowed her to go to RB and be out of pain. If I were you, I would make sure your vet is on target with the level of pain your kitty might be in. Cats are so darn stoic and often don't give strong indications about their level of pain.

Anyway, it is a sad time for you I am sure. It is difficult to see anything go down hill. I usually take an early step in total pain relief when it comes to my pets. Maybe I am too early, but once I get the diagnosis, I act pretty quickly and make the dreaded appointment with the vet. The less discomfort they have, the better off they are, in my opinion anyway.

I hope your time with Bartie is good and he is not in much discomfort. Hang in their Bartie. You are loved.

:love::love:

Queen of Poop
01-18-2013, 07:30 AM
You are both in my prayers. :love::love::love:

Catty1
01-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I hope the steroids and antibiotics help Bartie feel better. HUGS to you...this is just such bad news. Feel more comfy Bartie and snuggle up to your Mom. She loves you very very much.:love:

catmandu
01-18-2013, 09:28 AM
We are so sorry to hear about Bartie, its a shock when our Cats become older and fall prey to illness.:(
We always want them to be well and there is such a feeling of helpnessness when we cannot make everything all right as we could when they were young.
WE pray that Bartie can get better , that he is not in pain.
All of our prayers are coming for Bartie from the Found Cat Hotel.:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and Bartie in my thoughts. At least he is in the best home ever for his last years.

smokey the elder
01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry your oldtimer Bartie isn't doing well.

Grace
01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Donna, I'm so very sorry to hear about Bartie. Prayers and positive thoughts headed your way - hugs all around :love:

pomtzu
01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
it's difficult watching them get old and their good health fail them. Hugs to you and Bartie.

Myndi will be 17 next week. Amazing and sad at the same time.

lizbud
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
What a sad time for Bartie and for you. Prayers of comfort for you both Donna.

Barbara
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Bartie. I am totally with you when you say that you don't want a biopsy. we had one done with Tigris ( who was only 13 then) but he never recovered from it as it was major surgery and he had to go one week later. He would have been more comfortable if we hadn't done it:(
All the best for you and Bartie.

Cataholic
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Very sad news, and no correct decision to be had. I hope the time you have left, no matter the length, is precious.

moosmom
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Bartie also has hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure. Thank you guys for being there for me. It means a lot. I pray that he'll go peacefully in his sleep.

phesina
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Donna and Bartie,

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: to you from us.

Kirsten
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that! I will keep him in my thoughts... :-(

I totally agree with you on that biopsy thing; I wouldn't go for that option either!

gini
01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Oh Donna, I feel your pain and fully understand all that you are feeling having been there with Rascal.
You have my prayers and of course, Bartie does as well.

krazyaboutkatz
01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( It's so hard to watch our pets get older. When my old boy Storm went downhill, I just couldn't bare to watch it any more so I knew that it was time.:( I hope that you're able to make Bartie as comfortable as possible. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

maerlyn
01-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Prayers coming for both you and Bartie. I can add nothing to what all the others have said except this: whatever happens, Bartie is yours forever and always; the love you give to him has ensured that. Remember: death is not an end at all; it is merely the transition to a beautiful form of life we are not yet permitted to know. When "the day" comes, you will be consumed with grief and pain, but Bartie will pass into a glorious life, perfectly healthy and blissfully happy. Try to think of that. Cry for yourself all you need to, but force a smile, no matter how slight, for Bartie. (The most beautiful smiles are those that must break through tears.) May Bartie's Creator bless you with the faith, the courage, and the strength you will need.:love:

ramanth
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Such sad news. :( I pray that Bartie stays pain free.

cassiesmom
01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
How is Bartie doing, Moosmom? Could you give him some gentle lovies for me, please.

phesina
01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
How is Bartie doing, Moosmom? Could you give him some gentle lovies for me, please.

Same from us, Moosmom!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

carole
01-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry I have only just seen this ,how is Bartie doing Donna,I went through much the same with ash and his renal failure and Ellie with her cancer,I know how heart breaking it is,but bartie is lucky he has the most caring kind loving meowie you could find,keep us posted,we are all thinking of you and bartie,hugs.:love:

moosmom
01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Bartie is doing okay. He's not in any pain and sleep 23 hours a day. All I can do is make sure he's happy and comfortable.

Hope things are going well with you Carole. Xoxo

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Ouch.... that's no good news......, I'm so sorry......!
Please give Bertie a gentl hug from me :love: