PDA

View Full Version : Any Pro's or Con's about the Underground Fence for your dog ?

ilovehounds
03-29-2001, 12:53 PM
Does anyone have any Pro's or Con's about the Underground Fence for your dog ?

I have a three year old beagle, who up untill this spring has never even thought about leaving the yard. But latly her nose takes her further away from our NO CROSSING LINE (a spot in the yard she has always known not to go past)

I was just looking at our Canadian Tire catalogue and they have a pet containment system, an under ground fence. It says "an electric underground fence to keep your pet in the yard".

I thought it would be perfect because we live on 22 acres and the fence covers 25 so I would have more then enough to cover the hole property and she will be able to play freely without me worring about her getting on the road, wondering away, or going over to the train tracks. Right now she can only stay outside if Im out with her, or Im not busy and can keep an eye on her or she is chained (which I hate doing because she likes to run and play and do the beagle thing)

I don't know anything about this so I was hoping maybe someone uses one or has a friend that uses one.

Could you also tell me if $179.99 to $200.00 canadian is a resonable price. That includes the transmitter, collar/reciever, battery pack, wire, and 50 flags.

Installing it would be no problem my father and I could handle that I hope, if her doesnt mind digging up the outside of his property :0)

mruffruff
03-29-2001, 02:33 PM
Underground fences consist of a thin wire run a couple of inches under the ground in a complete loop. This is connected to an electrical outlet with a control box. The collar fits against the dog's throat. The dog needs to be trained to stay within the flags at first. When the dog gets close to the wire, a buzz warns the dog not to go further. If the dog continues to go toward the wire, a mild shock is felt. Most dogs learn where the limits are before they feel a shock (like static when you touch a metal object). The drawbacks are:
1. Other dogs can cross into your area
2. You have to check the wire and batteries in the collar to make sure they are always working
3. Some dogs will cross the wire anyway, sometimes not crossing back. For instance, in the heat of chasing a squirrel they cross the wire and when the squirrel is gone and the dog is calm, the dog won't ignore the buzzes or shock to get back in your yard.

Usually, a dog can be let out without the collar after training has really, really been ingrained.

I still prefer a real fence. Chain link or solid wood. Keeps the neighborhood dogs (and kids) out and my dogs in. It's better for me too, because I often foster dogs for short times and I don't have time to train them.

mruffruff
03-29-2001, 02:35 PM
The price is about right. Extra wire is easy to get and inexpensive if you need more than they give you in the kit.

ownerof3dogs
03-29-2001, 02:48 PM
I think that the underground fencing i good for small dogs or really easy going dogs. But I know if I got that fencing to my dogs they would be gone in two seconds!

RachelJ
03-29-2001, 03:11 PM
My neighbors on both sides have it and it works well for them. They both have labs. But I have friends whose little dog will go right through it.

I tried it for Hannah and it terrified her. She didn't even want to go outside. When I forced her outside she stuck right up next to the house. I decided this was not for my dog, so had them take it out during the trial period. A problem can occur if there is a break in the line. Then you'd have to find the break and fix it. We finally had our back yard fenced in. We used a spit rail with a wire mesh attached. Works beautifully and I call it the best money I've ever spent. RuffRuff is right. Keeps the other dogs and kids out.

Anja Bear
03-29-2001, 05:44 PM
Sunday I ran into a couple who we in Anja's puppy kindergarden class and I usually see them on our Sunday runs to the pet stores. I ask them how their dog was. They didn't have her with them. They told me she was hit by a car the week before. She bolted thru the "fence" to chase a squirrel. Save your self the heart ache and put up a regular fence.

------------------
It's not much of a tail but I love it.

Logan
03-29-2001, 07:07 PM
I have to say that I would go for the regular fencing too. I think $200 Canadian is a bit low to install the invisible fencing on 23 acres too. Maybe its because you plan to do your own labor. But, I have talked with those who use this product successfully. Every one of them had to work on a consistent basis for quite a while to train their dog what to do when they hit the "shock" zone. And that is to turn back into the yard. Of course to teach this, you have to shock them, and I hate the though of that. Have you thought of fencing a smaller portion of your acreage instead? I would definitely consider above ground fencing, although even that doesn't work for everyone.
Good luck, what ever you decide.
Logan

ilovehounds
03-29-2001, 07:36 PM
I have tried chain linked fence I guess its called and she climbs the fence like its a ladder and escapes. Im also afraid that she will get her legs stuck (when climbing) and hurt herself.

Training is not a problem, she is a good dog and a quick leaner, she was trained to stay in the yard and not to pass a certin point but latley being a beagle she listens to her nose and not her training.

The story Anja Bear told was very sad, we do have ALOT of squirrels around but Hannah doesn't really bother with them. I don't really like the idea of shocking her either, but I do like the fact that she wouldn't be in a pen and she would have all the space she wanted ???????

I guess I have alot of thinking to do, I love my dog very much and only want the best and safest things for her :0)

Daisy's Mom
04-01-2001, 07:50 PM
Daisy's boyfriend, Moe, is a Brittany Spaniel belonging to my best friend. They live down the street. When Moe was a puppy, they had an underground fence installed for him, and after a few years they took it off him and he has never once left that yard. He is fourteen now. My family is also looking into this because of Daisy's truck chasing habits.

ilovehounds
04-04-2001, 01:23 PM
After alot of thinking, I have decided to go with the underground fence. My fathers friend told me that they have the fence for their GSD and it works wonders.

We already have a rail fence across the front, and down one side (the side that the train tracks are on) and down the back of our property so he said to run the underground fence right tight beside the rail fence then she won't take the time to climb the fence because she will be getting shocked. That way she is not running right through the fence hardly feeling the shock. The side that has no fence runs up to the creek which she won't cross because its to deep and fast moving.

So with both the rail fence and the underground fence it should be pretty safe and escape free.

I have ruled out the chain link fence because theres a chance that she will one day climb it get her leg stuck and snap it, or get it stuck and be hanging by her leg.

For now untill the ground thaws out she will have to be tied up, and let loose only when Im able to keep an eye on her.

Reba'sDad
04-07-2001, 02:05 PM
I can't believe that my favorite little Hound Hannah is testing her property line.
Electric Fences are one of the best investments you will ever make if you train your wonderful Hounds properly when you first install the fence. See, I share my life with a Shorthair (a more energetic and curious dog you will not find). She completely understands her property boundries and has never once tried to escape the invisible fence line. She can run freely and play whenever she wants. It's rare that I will even use her invisible fence collar. Once a month I put it on her just so she can hear the sound when approaching the property line.
Now, I'm not sure that you can buy a satisfactory product for under $200. Mine was installed a highly recommended company along with initial training and tips (most important). $200 seems low for a good invisible fence. With 25 acres you need to make sure your transmitter and wire are strong enough to send a strong signal around your property line. Good Luck ilovehounds!

ilovehounds
04-07-2001, 04:34 PM
Hey Reba's Dad :0) you found us !! I have decided to only take our rail fenced part of the yard wich is about 6 acres and run the fence along side the rail fence, that should be plenty of space. We will not be putting it in for awhile the ground is thawing and will be very wet.
Im now not sure that $200 is the right price, I didn't read that little tiny writing at the bottom of the advertizment, its says its $200 for the kit and 500 feet of wire additional wire will have to be bought. But money is not an issue I just want Hannah to be safe and Happy :0)
Glade you joined us Reba's Dad give Reba a big hug for me :0)