01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Not sure if this is the right board, but my puppy whose name is
Petey is being on neutered Wednesday. Can anyone tell me if neutering
helps at all with potty training? At this point potty training doesn't seem
to be on the top of his list, jumping on any unsuspecting animal that walks
by does :). Anyway if anybody has any answers .please let me know

Taz_Zoee
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
I do not know about the neutering helping with potty training. But I thought I'd share the hand-out we include in adoption packets where I volunteer.

daisybee
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
QUOTE=Taz_Zoee;2457517]I do not know about the neutering helping with potty training. But I thought I'd share the hand-out we include in adoption packets where I volunteer.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the potty training handout. I've pretty much been doing what the handout said since I got him. I've had dogs my whole life and he seems to be
the most difficult. I guess with time he will catch on

Karen
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Time and consistency! And stubbornness on your part, willingness to stay outside or keep walking until something happens ... Neutering won;t have any effect on potty training, but it will make him less likely to feel he has to "mark" things.

Asiel
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Some breeds are harder to housebreak than others and it could depend on how he was raised while at the breeders. If he was kept on flooring this might be a bit ingrained in him but with time and patience (no getting mad at him) he will get the idea. Neutering has never made much difference in any dogs that I've known.

Freedom
01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
How old is he? What breed is he?

Have you taken any puppy training classes with him? I highly recommend it, as this helps with bonding, helps you learn to communicate clearly to him and he learns to want to follow your lead and please you. Then all this carries over to the potty training.

daisybee
01-12-2013, 09:06 AM
How old is he? What breed is he?

Have you taken any puppy training classes with him? I highly recommend it, as this helps with bonding, helps you learn to communicate clearly to him and he learns to want to follow your lead and please you. Then all this carries over to the potty training.

He is six months old and he is part bichon and part shih tzu, I've heard both breeds tend to be stubborn, so I guess this is just going to be a waiting
game. I've had dogs my whole life and I've never had this much trouble with potty training, if fact my dog that just died in september was the same
mix and I didn't have as much trouble with him. anyway thanks for the suggestion

Freedom
01-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I knew it! Part Bichon! Bichons are very busy doggies, and potty training rarely even makes it on their 'TO DO" list, lol. They often are not reliably potty trained until 12 months. So just be patient and consistent, you will get there.

Bichons are not stubborn! Not sure where you go that idea.

daisybee
01-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I knew it! Part Bichon! Bichons are very busy doggies, and potty training rarely even makes it on their 'TO DO" list, lol. They often are not reliably potty trained until 12 months. So just be patient and consistent, you will get there.

Bichons are not stubborn! Not sure where you go that idea.

I wasn't saying anything against bichons, my last dog was part bichon and my daughter has bichons
I know they are sweet loveable dogs. I just mean't he's not doing what I want him to do, so he's stubborn :)
I guess when I think about it busy would probably be a better word for him because he reminds me of
a typical little boy, always getting into something and always busy