PDA

View Full Version : Ask a Vet!

Karen
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Anyone have any questions they would like me to ask a vet for them? This Friday I will be recording a radio show with Dr. Jeff Werber and Dr. Ernie Ward, celebrity vets for Rachel Ray and Dr. Oz - so the more questions the better! You can see their pictures and bios here - http://allpawspettalk.com/experts/ just scroll down a bit!

I'll get the recording afterwards and let you know what they say!

I will already be asking them about Epilepsy in kitties ...

Randi
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Karen, these people seem like a nice and knowledgeable bunch. I'd like to ask some questions about Fister... what to do to get him to eat more, and drink. He has lost weight lately and I'm worried. Do they need specific questions? I can tell you what I have done so far, tomorrow, if you think they can give me some advise.

I have posted about his problems in Cat Health, where you can see his numbers for the tests.

I love him so much, so I'll do anything possible to perk him up.

Karen
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Karen, these people seem like a nice and knowledgeable bunch. I'd like to ask some questions about Fister... what to do to get him to eat more, and drink. He has lost weight lately and I'm worried. Do they need specific questions? I can tell you what I have done so far, tomorrow, if you think they can give me some advise.

I have posted about his problems in Cat Health, where you can see his numbers for the tests.

I love him so much, so I'll do anything possible to perk him up.

Sure, tell me what you have done, specifically, and I will ask them for you!

Randi
01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
OK, I'll get some info and questions together for you for tomorrow when you wake up. Thanks! :)

Karen
01-09-2013, 06:16 PM
So, anyone else?

3Catcondo
01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Sure, here's one. Do Thundershirts work on cats? I have a 3 yr old orange girl Willow who is skittish, I don't know why, it's just me and the cats and she gets along with them all, and it's a quiet household with no children. She was picked up at a young age (3-4 wks prob) as a stray by animal control and then fostered until 8 weeks when I got her. Is it from her time as a stray? I would've thought by now she would realize she is in a safe comfortable home...:rolleyes:

Karen
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I will ask!

3Catcondo
01-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Thank you!
:)

Laura's Babies
01-09-2013, 10:14 PM
LOL! I got several for you to ask.... It's about Caramella. You know the story of how I got her, how young she was and I was the only Mom she ever knew.. She was my first time raising a infant kitten and it seems there was something I overlooked teaching her in re: potty training... :rolleyes: She does not clean her butt after she goes and it really shows with that white fur of hers.. I try to clean her from time to time and she don't fight me about it but she makes a funny meowing noise when I do it... HOW do I teach her to clean herself at the age of 2 1/2 is she to old to be taught that?

Another question about her... Her tail annoys her! It is so funny. She will be calmly relaxing and flipping her tail all over the place... Suddenly, she spots that tail flopping all around her and she gets mad at it... She'll growel at it, slapping at it with her paw.....When it won't stop, she will really growl and attack it like it is attacking her. She has bitten her trail so hard she has let out a yelp more than once.. It is the funniest thing I ever saw and I've tried many times to video it but by the time I get the camera and turn it on, she is over it.... I have never seen a cat do this before.....she really gets MAD :mad: at her tail!! Anyone ever heard of that before?

Karen
01-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Laura, I will ask those! :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2013, 01:40 AM
I've been wondering why some cats love to play in water even though they don't like taking baths. My kitten Rory loves to jump in the bathroom sink or kitchen sink after I've finished using it. He'll get his paws all wet and he'll also lick some of the water. He will also sometimes play in the water bowls and make a big mess. Why do cats sometimes put their toys in their water bowls?

Why does my cat Alani always want to shred any kind of paper, plastic bag, or cardboard product? If he sees a napkin lying around his eyes light up and he goes crazy. It's almost like it's catnip to him. I thought he would outgrow this but he'll be 3 on April 30th so I really doubt there's much chance of that.

Why do female cats seem to be more territorial than male cats? As you know, I now have 10 cats and both of my females still don't like their younger brothers and they only tolerate Sky. They need their space and seem to do better in a one on one situation with me as opposed to being in a group with me and the other cats. They love me but don't really want anything to do with their brothers.

My cat Pearl also loves to play with her tail. I don't think that she's ever bitten it or hurt herself while playing with it. I used to think that only dogs played with their tails. Maybe she's just bored.

Karen
01-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks everyone! We didn't get to all the questions but they answered the ones we did VERY thoroughly. Randi, I will need to send you the audio file, as there was too much for me to take notes on! Amy, they said Thundershirts are iffy for cats, they either work okay or are disastrous, it depends on the cat in question. But they would first try a Feliway diffuser and see if that will help ...

Laura, of Miss Caramella, they both recommended a "hygenic trim" around her backside, to make it easier to keep clean, and were actually concerned about her biting her own tail - I will email you the audio file as well, okay? They said it was more serious, from the sound of it, than just playing like it sounds like Pearl is doing, Tracy! They talked extensively about the ages kittens learn ceratin things, especially bottle babies, which was interesting.

They were very nice and talked a lot about the questions we did get to, and I even threw in Frito Feet at the end, and got an interesting answer (We only had a minute of time left)!

Randi
01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks a lot, Karen, I will look forward to hear the audio file. :)

Laura's Babies
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
LOL! I can just imagine how Caramella will like a "trim" back there but I will have to give it a try!! You would think that she would realize I clean it and eventually realize "it" needs cleaning and do it herself..

Her regular vet wasn't concerned about her with her tail but I didn't mention it to him again this year... It is facinating to see her act like that, she gets that shocked look on her face like "WHERE in the H*** DID YOU COME FROM?! LET GO OF ME!! LET GO I SAID!" Cant wait to hear what they had to say about that..

Karen
01-12-2013, 10:07 PM
LOL! I can just imagine how Caramella will like a "trim" back there but I will have to give it a try!! You would think that she would realize I clean it and eventually realize "it" needs cleaning and do it herself.

Apparently that's one of those things that a kitten needs to learn by a certain number of weeks old ... oh well! Yes, I look forward to being able to send you the audio file, will remind my producer if I don't get it by Monday!

Laura's Babies
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I never thought about how they learn something like that or at what age they needed to learn.. I always cleaned her afterwards until she got (what I thought) was old enough to do it herself and thought the rest just came naturally to them...

She was my first bottle baby and I knew I would make mistakes..LOL! Never thought about this though..

Karen
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
I never thought about how they learn something like that or at what age they needed to learn.. I always cleaned her afterwards until she got (what I thought) was old enough to do it herself and thought the rest just came naturally to them...

She was my first bottle baby and I knew I would make mistakes..LOL! Never thought about this though..

People know a lot more know that they did years ago, but it is good she is a loved kitty regardless!

Karen
03-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Anyone have a question they would like to ask a Veterinarian? This week I will be recording a show with 3 eta, one a nutrition guru of sorts, one traditional, and one holistic and traditional. So anything goes, let me know!

zippy-kat
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Too late to ask a question?

Karen
03-16-2013, 12:34 PM
No, as we are doing another "Ask a Vet" show next Wednesday! Ask away!

zippy-kat
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
My question, in reference to my horses:

How accurate is hair analysis for mineral deficiency/toxicity?

Karen
03-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I will put that at the top of the list! :)

Any more questions, folks?

Randi
03-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Karen, I'm disappointed you never sent me that audio file with the vet's answers, you said you would. Of course, it's too late now - Fister has gone. :( I had taken some time to think about and write those questions, and express myself the best I could, and I really would have liked to hear what the vets said. Well, I guess some are more important than others. :(

Karen
03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Karen, I'm disappointed you never sent me that audio file with the vet's answers, you said you would. Of course, it's too late now - Fister has gone. :( I had taken some time to think about and write those questions, and express myself the best I could, and I really would have liked to hear what the vets said. Well, I guess some are more important than others. :(

Sorry, Randi, I thought I had - the engineer* is sometimes tardy getting the files back to us after the show, and that one took far too long to get back to me. I could still dig it out and send it to you if you want ....

*nice person but ....

Karen
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Bumpity!

Moesha
03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I thought of a question. Let me know the next time you'll be doing the show so I can ask it.

Karen
03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay, I will!

Karen
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
My question, in reference to my horses:

How accurate is hair analysis for mineral deficiency/toxicity?

Both vets agreed - hair analysis is excellent and accurate, best taken from the mane or tail, somewhere where it grows continually, and they can give you the history of any deficiency or toxicity as well. It is best to have a vet do the collection both to make sure they get the root ball, and so, say Princess Pony will hate the vet instead of you, who has to deal with her on a daily basis (think of how annoying it is if someone yanks a piece of hair from your head!) but this is often the best way to tell with horses, especially if there are not other gross symptoms. It depends what part of the country you are in what they need to test for, of course. Does that help? I'll email you the audio files when I get them, but wanted to tell you that part, in any case!

zippy-kat
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Both vets agreed - hair analysis is excellent and accurate, best taken from the mane or tail, somewhere where it grows continually, and they can give you the history of any deficiency or toxicity as well. It is best to have a vet do the collection both to make sure they get the root ball, and so, say Princess Pony will hate the vet instead of you, who has to deal with her on a daily basis (think of how annoying it is if someone yanks a piece of hair from your head!) but this is often the best way to tell with horses, especially if there are not other gross symptoms. It depends what part of the country you are in what they need to test for, of course. Does that help? I'll email you the audio files when I get them, but wanted to tell you that part, in any case!

Awesome, thanks and I look forward to the audio files! Out of curiosity were these the holistic vets or the traditional vets?

Does it help? Sort of! lol It was more out of curiosity than anything. Summer went through a REALLY rough patch 2-3 years ago (issues with ulcers and a few other things) and while she is 200x better, she's still not quite right. The traditional equine vets I've had her to agree something's not quite right but, even through various tests, can't diagnosis anything concrete. Her chiropractor and message therapist brought her further along but I still feel like we're missing a piece of the puzzle. A friend recently mentioned hair analysis (none of my vets have mentioned it) and I was just curious how accurate it might be. It's a fairly cheap test so it might be worth a look.

I'm interested to hear if they mentioned anything about the process. I thought the hair was cleaned, incinerated, then tested. Apparently not if they are able to give a history! Interesting!

Thanks, Karen!

Karen
03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Awesome, thanks and I look forward to the audio files! Out of curiosity were these the holistic vets or the traditional vets?

Thanks, Karen!

Dr. Carol is very much a holistic vet, and Dr. Cathy is as well. I'll email you the audio files in a minute, see what you think, and if you have any follow-up questions, I can give you email addresses for them!

And for everyone else, we are doing "Ask the Vets" again next week, but at a new time, and this show will be live so if you are at a computer you can listen next Thursday at 3 .p.m. Eastern as we record the show!

Moesha
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be working at that time and unable to listen, but I would like to know what the vets say regarding Oscar's problem mentioned in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?181267-EOSINOPHILIC-GRANULOMA-COMPLEX-any-advice. I haven't found anything on the Internet that mentions removal of all teeth to stop the problem once it progresses past the steroid treatment stage. My vet didn't think it was caused by a food allergy but rather an allergy to bacteria in the mouth. So, I guess I'd like to know if that is common or if there is a way to determine what is causing Oscar's allergy and if any of them have heard of or tried for themselves removing all of the teeth. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to be more clear.

Karen
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be working at that time and unable to listen, but I would like to know what the vets say regarding Oscar's problem mentioned in this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?181267-EOSINOPHILIC-GRANULOMA-COMPLEX-any-advice. I haven't found anything on the Internet that mentions removal of all teeth to stop the problem once it progresses past the steroid treatment stage. My vet didn't think it was caused by a food allergy but rather an allergy to bacteria in the mouth. So, I guess I'd like to know if that is common or if there is a way to determine what is causing Oscar's allergy and if any of them have heard of or tried for themselves removing all of the teeth. I hope that makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll try to be more clear.

Got it!

Karen
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Anyone else have any questions for the vets this week?

krazyaboutkatz
03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
I have one. I know that herpes eye virus in cats can't be cured and that lysine will sometimes help. What other things can I do to help prevent an outbreak of this in my cats? Since I now own 10 cats, they've been having many more eye infections than they ever used to. I got rid of the Chlamydia infections but then all of my younger cats broke out with what my vet thinks is the herpes eye infection. First it was Finnegan, then Radar, then Rory, then Reece, and then Colby. Right now they all seem fine again but for how long. I also know that stress will cause outbreaks. I was told by the pharmacy tech that it's happening because they are young cats so their immune systems aren't as good.

Karen
03-26-2013, 12:37 PM
I have one. I know that herpes eye virus in cats can't be cured and that lysine will sometimes help. What other things can I do to help prevent an outbreak of this in my cats? Since I now own 10 cats, they've been having many more eye infections than they ever used to. I got rid of the Chlamydia infections but then all of my younger cats broke out with what my vet thinks is the herpes eye infection. First it was Finnegan, then Radar, then Rory, then Reece, and then Colby. Right now they all seem fine again but for how long. I also know that stress will cause outbreaks. I was told by the pharmacy tech that it's happening because they are young cats so their immune systems aren't as good.

I will ask!

Karen
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
By the way, this week we are doing the show on Thursday, at 3 EST, so I can still take questions up to that point!

Sowa
03-26-2013, 08:03 PM
After Clover was spayed (like the day she was home) she drank a bunch of water until she had a large belly and I started to limit it for her a little. I assumed it had to do with her belly hurting. Anyway, she still gets this now and then where she just won't stop drinking. It's happened a few more times, and again today - her belly is bloated looking. I looked up symptoms for bloat, but she seems fine other then the large belly and thirst. If it's just an upset belly then is there something I can do to prevent her from over drinking? Is it harmful to drink that much?

Karen
03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
I will ask that, I take it she's otherwise acting normally, gums are healthy and pink, etc?

Sowa
03-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I will ask that, I take it she's otherwise acting normally, gums are healthy and pink, etc?

Yeah she seems fine other then that. I came home from work this evening and she greeted me with a wagging tail and excitement like always.

Sowa
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Actually, I just noticed she had very runny diarrhea.

I also gave her a fish oil pill last night...I gave them to her before without a problem but she hasn't had one in a while. Could that cause the diarrhea?

Karen
03-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Actually, I just noticed she had very runny diarrhea.

I also gave her a fish oil pill last night...I gave them to her before without a problem but she hasn't had one in a while. Could that cause the diarrhea?

I'll ask the vets on Thursday, I'll mention that!

phesina
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Karen, would you please ask your vets if they have any thoughts on how I can get Sparkler OUT from inside the bedsprings-box where she has been hiding so much of the time?

There is more info about all this in the thread I've been posting in Cat/Health about Sparkler: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?181578-Sparkler-s-appetite-is-off .

Thanks,
Pat and Sparkler and the other kitties :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Will do ...

phesina
03-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Thank you.

Karen
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I have lots of answers for folks, I will post tonight what I remember, and will also email folks the audio files when I get them, probably tomorrow!

Moesha
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Thank you! Have been looking forward to seeing the answers you got for all the questions.

krazyaboutkatz
03-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks.:)

Karen
03-28-2013, 09:41 PM

They were both aghast at the mention of removing all Oscar's teeth, and would never recommend that. This is a very common condition, and the first thing to do is change his diet. It is nearly always caused by food allergies, so start with a simple one-ingredient food - cooked chicken is a good place to start, then you can try adding in other things, but getting his diet under control and figuring out the allergies is tedious, but WAY preferable to removing his teeth, in both vet's opinions. There's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Will email you audio file when I get it!

krazyaboutkatz
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
They were both aghast at the mention of removing all Oscar's teeth, and would never recommend that. This is a very common condition, and the first thing to do is change his diet. It is nearly always caused by food allergies, so start with a simple one-ingredient food - cooked chicken is a good place to start, then you can try adding in other things, but getting his diet under control and figuring out the allergies is tedious, but WAY preferable to removing his teeth, in both vet's opinions. There's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Will email you audio file when I get it!

Yes, my Pearl also has this autoimmune disease and my vet has never suggested that we remove her teeth. Hers also seems to be from a food allergy and she does best on a grain free diet. Good luck.:)

Karen
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM

They both agreed that making sure everything is completely disinfected - all surfaces, etc., while everyone is healthy, and then work on adding immune-boosting supplements to their diets. They mentioned several different over-the-counter type ones, and next time an outbreak happens, get it tested to be SURE it is the herpes virus, there ARE tests for it, and if it is or is not, there are different methods of treatment. Again, of course the audio files have more.

After Clover was spayed (like the day she was home) she drank a bunch of water until she had a large belly and I started to limit it for her a little. I assumed it had to do with her belly hurting. Anyway, she still gets this now and then where she just won't stop drinking. It's happened a few more times, and again today - her belly is bloated looking. I looked up symptoms for bloat, but she seems fine other then the large belly and thirst. If it's just an upset belly then is there something I can do to prevent her from over drinking? Is it harmful to drink that much?

Drinking that much is not necessarily harmful, but it is a clear sign that something is wrong. They worried about her liver function, which if it is off can make her *think* she needs to drink to cool her tummy off. It is a cause for a vet trip, and probably a blood test. Dr. Carol mentioned that, because it started right after her spay, the anesthesia may have done some liver damage, it happens in some dogs.

Also, yes, the fish oil capsule could absolutely cause the runny poop - get her checked out, and certainly don't give her another until everything checks out okay!

Karen, would you please ask your vets if they have any thoughts on how I can get Sparkler OUT from inside the bedsprings-box where she has been hiding so much of the time?
Thanks,
Pat and Sparkler and the other kitties :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Both vets agreed that, given everything that going on with Sparkler, you need to get her out from there, even if you have to pull her (gently) out, and keep her for the time being in a small, confined space, usually a bathroom works best, so you can see her, and administer meds as needed. Later in the show we talked about aromatherapy for horses, and lavender was mentioned as a calming scent/oil for all mammals, so some lavender stem or a lavender candle, or lavender scent dabbed onto your hands while you pet her may help calm her, and help the transition form in the boxspring to her new convalescing spot.

We also talked about Slick's Merlin's diagnosis, and what she can do, and about Spot's facing chemotherapy and his cancer, so I'll be emailing audio files to them, too!

Hope this helps!

Moesha
03-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you, Karen!

Karen
03-28-2013, 10:33 PM
You're welcome!

phesina
03-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Thank you, Karen, and thank you to the vets. I suppose the bathroom is an idea.. it's very small and there isn't really anywhere she could "hide" in it. She really needs a lot of safe space around her. In the bathtub, maybe, if I keep the shower curtain pulled across.. I wonder..?

Sparkler has been lying in the "hammock" made by the sagging fabric more, and I can reach in and pet her, and she purrs and purrs. And I can give her food there, and she eats it.

And, mirabile dictu, last night she climbed up on the bed while I was about to fall off to sleep and laid down near me so I could pet her and pet her more and she could purr and purr more!

This morning she was out with the other cats waiting for her food.

Maybe the Convenia has finally taken effect and she has turned the corner? Please, God?!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
04-02-2013, 12:45 AM
So sorry folks, the engineer will get me the recordings hopefully by Wednesday, he apologized for the delay.

Anyone have any questions for this week's show? We'll have a different veterinarian on this week, a guy from the Denver area, but any and all questions are welcome!

Karen
04-02-2013, 03:48 AM
I (unexpectedly) got the audio files tonight, and emailed them to folks, let me know that you got them and were able to listen, okay?

Moesha
04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
I got the files. I don't have time to listen to them this morning, but I did start one of them to make sure it worked. Thank you very much!

phesina
04-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi Karen, I got the files, and I just listened to them. They came out fine. Thanks!

Sparkler is doing MUCH better now. She comes out from under the bed sometimes, she eats, she LOOOOOOOVES me to pet her and love on her and purrs loudly in response!

Pat

krazyaboutkatz
04-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks Karen. I got the files but I won't have time to listen to them until tonight.:)

Karen
04-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Okay, and folks, any questions for this week, le me know!

Karen
04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
So did anyone get a chance to listen yet?

phesina
04-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Yes, I listened to them all! These vets are very good and generous to contribute so much time and thoughtfulness and expertise.

Please tell them how much better Sparkler is doing. Also, please thank them for their advice. Sparkler is out from her hidey-hole or in her hammock most of the time now. I give her a lot of hands-on loving.

Karen
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
So, anyone have any questions for the vets this week? We will have a new voice on, Dr. Don Kanfer, so another opinion!

aTailOf2Kitties
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I've noticed here lately when Toby jumps up in my lap for an evening nap, after about 5 minutes he becomes totally limp. Sometimes his ears, whiskers, or feet will twitch slightly like a dog does when they're "dreaming", but not enough to scream "seizure" (to me anyway) He is hard to awaken when he is like this. After several seconds of prodding and talking to him, he will first retain rigidity and then eventually open his eyes as if I have disturbed him. I free feed him dry food, so it's not like he ate a huge meal and then passed out.

Is this just a DEEP sleep, or do I have a problem?

He's 5 years old, neutered, Snowshoe Siamese, and has no other health problems.

Karen
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I will ask!

Karen
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Okay, show's over for today, and I can give you what feedback I remember and will email everyone the audio files when I get them! aTailOf2Kitties - they said if this is a brand new behavior it might be worth a vet trip, but as it is only happening when he's asleep it could just be a happy, deeply asleep kitty.

They mentioned hearing - do you try to wake him vocally, and maybe he doesn't hear you? They all agreed that, as it only happens when he's asleep they doubt it is any kind of seizure, they mentioned a few other things, I'll send you the audio file when I get it!

aTailOf2Kitties
04-05-2013, 05:08 AM
not sure if this is brand new behavior. I only know he's like this when he's sleeping on my lap, and he's only a lap kitty in phases. He's more likely to jump up on me when it's chilly in the house and I'm all wrapped up in a blanket myself. Even then he'll jump down if I pet him too much or get too fidgety. I usually talk to him softly when trying to wake him. His hearing is fine- I just called to him in the other room and he looked up at me.