PDA

View Full Version : The FLU

robinh
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

pomtzu
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Cannot believe it. I caught the flu. Kept hoping I was going to get better but after Sunday and Monday feeling so bad, I went to the doctor this morning. I have Tamiflu and cough syrup - whoopie. Also told I may not be able to go back to work until next week - lovely.

Has anyone else had the flu lately?

Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu??? Yup - it's keeping me company this week. Glad this appears to be a mild case tho - I've had a whole lot worse. And of course I didn't get a flu shot this year, and I normally ALWAYS do. :rolleyes:

Karen
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh, my sympathies. I got my flu shot this year, as I do every year, so have not had it, thank goodness. I only ever had it once, caught it on my way out of the hospital from brain survey many years ago, so I thought some of the misery was just part of my recovery process until I went to get my stitches out, and the resident who removed them said, "No, you have the flu!" like I should have known that!

Freedom
01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.

kaycountrygal
01-08-2013, 09:23 PM
No, I havent had the flu but I had cough, sore throat, laryngitis and a few days later I had pneumonia diagnosed on 12.25.12 (sick as a dog as the saying goes) and stayed 3.5 days in hospital. Just today for the first time in weeks I felt halfway normal. Take care of yourself.

robinh
01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Do you mean this???: cough-cough, sneeze-sneeze, runny nose, too fatigued to move and you just want to sleep 23 hrs per day, feel like you got run-over-by-a-bus-ache-all-over feeling, chills, no appetite and nothing tastes right ~~~~that kind of flu???

YES, that's the one!! Would like to say I'm glad I'm not suffering alone, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Taking care of the dogs is interesting too.

Sad part - I had the flu shot, but my doctor says this is one not covered....great. Not sure the cure isn't worse than the disease. That Tamiflu is mean stuff.

Now SO has it. He'll start his Tamiflu and cough syrup today when he picks it up.

Alysser
01-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Sorry to hear your part of this epidemic, it doesn't sound very fun at all. :( Feel better soon!

I am being forced to get my Flu shot today thanks to Good Ol' Mom. -__- Not terribly excited about it, she always sneakily plans these things. According to her, it's more of a concern because I have a heart condition.

sasvermont
01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I hesitate to go out to the store on a whim, knowing that each time I enter the germ zone, I am putting myself at risk. I did have a flu shot, earlier this year. I have never had the flu and I am in my 60's. I can't believe I haven't been exposed to it. Maybe I am just lucky.

They claim the secret to this game is to wash your hands repeatedly and to keep you hands away from your nose, eyes and mouth.

When I worked in an office, I would walk around with antibacterial swipe/wipes and wipe off the copier, light switches, desk tops, phones etc. and I always kept sick people out of my space.

If you are sick, stay home or at least keep to yourself at work.

I know that my Mom is always at risk so if I am not feeling well, I will not visit her at her nursing facility. The flu goes through that place like a wild fire. They keep the temperature at 80 degrees it seems and they all still wear sweaters and have lap blankets on themselves all the time. Drives me crazy to see it all, but maybe I will become cold when I get old.

So for all those folks with the flu, stay home, rest, take care, drink lots of fluid and go to the doctor if you are not feeling better in a few days. People do die from the flu, so it is important to keep it to yourself while you are taking care of yourself.

There is always Pet Talk to hang out on..... and surfing the net.....watching TV.....reading.....knitting....sleeping..... and then go back to work.

Hugs and get well wishes to the ill ones!

:love::love::love:

Sas and her campers

pomtzu
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
There is always Pet Talk to hang out on..... and surfing the net.....watching TV.....reading.....knitting....sleeping..... .

Retired - so that's my everyday routine anyway. :p

I've had the flu a few times in my 60+ years, and this one isn't all that bad, at least not compared to the Asian Flu that I had when a senior in h.s. That was so horrible that I wished I would just die so that I would feel better. Yes - it was that bad !

I have a routine doctor appointment tomorrow anyway, so maybe he'll end up prescribing something for me to feel better. I need something to improve my mood most of all. I can't believe how crabby and grumpy I am and I don't even like myself the past few days. :(

robinh
01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I know I'm normally one of those people who will try to work through being sick. Not that I was tempted this time, but the doctor told me that "your co-workers do NOT want you there". I don't have the energy to get cleaned up to go to work so it's not even an option.

When other people are sick in my office, I'll go clean their desk, keyboard and chairs with germ killing wipes (I wear rubber gloves) and spray the area with germ killer. Then I'll go to the bathroom and scrub my hands. Hope someone returns the favor.

sasvermont
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
When other people are sick in my office, I'll go clean their desk, keyboard and chairs with germ killing wipes (I wear rubber gloves) and spray the area with germ killer. Then I'll go to the bathroom and scrub my hands. Hope someone returns the favor.

Sounds like what I used to do! I was one of the few people doing so though. I didn't get sick all that often. I also am a believer in hand washing....big time.

Oh well. Germs are germs. Can't avoid them.

Get well soon!

mon
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I cannot believe that I am in this club too :( I can barely function. Cleaning the cat litter however is THE WORST. Gotta be done, have not projectile vommited in the litterbox yet. I deserve an award :( Sicker than a dog fer sure...yuck

Karen
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Oh, Mon, our sympathies!

mon
01-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Thak-you!

krazyaboutkatz
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I hope that everyone gets better soon. Please take care and rest as much as possible.

I've been getting flu shots every year for many many years now so I haven't had the flu in a long time. Last year I did get a very bad cold which then turned into a long lingering cough that would keep me up all night. I did end up continuing to go to work even though I felt horrible. Mainly because we were so busy at work and also because my boss thinks that unless we're dead we should go to work. I hope to be able to remain healthy this year.

mon
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I usually get a flu shot. That was on my to do list, I can't believe I forgot. I REALLY can't.

mon
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Just gonna puke, sweat and crap all day. Not much choice. Ya drop the ball, sometimes ya gotta pay the price. No ones perfect. xox

robinh
01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Sad part is I got the flu shot. Doctor said this strain was not covered by the shot....lovely.

Now SO is so sick. Actually sicker than I've been. Feel so bad for him and I'm still not well.

mon
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I am SO sorry honey. I feel ya, this s SO GROSS! If I live through this, it'll be a miracle. Only good news I got, hummingbird is back. Just managed to stop hurling enough to fill up the feeder. Rainbow colored, very beautiful :love:

robinh
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I think we'll all live through it....but my doctor said to expect it to take about 3 weeks to phase out of your system. Wow, sounds like fun?

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-11-2013, 07:28 AM
It's many years ago now since I got the FLU. Lucky me hey!!
I get my anti-flu injection every year; this winter I got it early December.

Grace
01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Got my flu shot, missed the flu. Did get my regular tonsilitis though, was sick 11 days with that. Sore throat, fever for the first 2 days (and chills), miserable feeling. Saw the doc, she almost laughed as she said, you know exactly what this is, right? I get it twice a year. Sigh.

Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Why don't you just have the tonsils removed? My d-i-l had hers out when she was almost 40. She was like you - more than one episode/year. The doctor told her all those strep bugs were living in her tonsils, and the only sure way to get rid of them - take out the tonsils. She's never regretted it.

I agree. I used to have tonsilitis a lot too but I was only about 5 or so when I finally had my tonsils removed. They actually had to postpone the surgery because I got it again right before I was supposed to have the surgery. Both of my brothers were a bit older when they had theirs removed so their recovery time was a bit longer than mine. I would ask your doctor about this since it seems to be a reoccuring thing with you. Good luck.:)

pomtzu
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I too wondered about Sandie still having her tonsils - and dealing with the tonsillitis so often. I had mine out on my 5th birthday!!! - yup - it had been scheduled twice before and had to cancel when I first came down with measles, and the 2nd time it was mumps! - in the olden days before they had vaccines for everything! My son used to get deathly sick with tonsillitis and ear infections, and they had to yank his out before he was even 2 yrs old, tho they don't like to do it that early. My ex was in his late 20's when he had his out. Boy - was he one miserable so-and-so recovering from that!

Hope everyone still fighting the flu is starting to feel better. I saw doc yesterday and mine is just a nasty head and chest bacterial infection, so I'm on meds for that and starting to feel a little better.

Grace
01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I was also 5 when my tonsils were removed. Ellie, we were living in Cranston then, and the doctor took them out in our kitchen!!

My brother also had his removed at home - about 6 months after I did.

The only thing good about the entire experience - all that ice cream I got to have post-op :)

pomtzu
01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
I was also 5 when my tonsils were removed. Ellie, we were living in Cranston then, and the doctor took them out in our kitchen!!

My brother also had his removed at home - about 6 months after I did.

The only thing good about the entire experience - all that ice cream I got to have post-op :)

OMG - that thought makes me cringe. I can just picture you on the kitchen table with that as the operating table. LOL!! At least I had the benefit of the hospital for my procedure. Yup - ice cream and jello made it somewhat worthwhile. Now they encourage roughage to speed up the recovery time, instead of babying the throat with the good things that we had, at least they did with my son after the first day post-op. Makes sense I suppose, since medical practices and ideas have changed so much. I can remember my mother telling me that she was in the hospital for over 2 weeks when she gave birth to me - and that was common practice at that time.

robinh
01-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I still have my tonsils. My mom tried to get me to agree to have them out when I was 17 - NOPE. I'd had one stint in the hospital with pneumonia as a child and watched several kids come in to have their tonsils removed. That convinced me to keep mine.

The flu is on it's way out for me. My poor SO is a few days behind and still suffering pretty bad. I think because he is not able to take the Tamiflu (he's allergic to some component of the medication), it may be a long haul for him. He's still running a 100+ degree temp.

Hope everyone stays well. This stuff going around is terrible.

Karen
01-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I still have my tonsils. My mom tried to get me to agree to have them out when I was 17 - NOPE. I'd had one stint in the hospital with pneumonia as a child and watched several kids come in to have their tonsils removed. That convinced me to keep mine.

The flu is on it's way out for me. My poor SO is a few days behind and still suffering pretty bad. I think because he is not able to take the Tamiflu (he's allergic to some component of the medication), it may be a long haul for him. He's still running a 100+ degree temp.

Hope everyone stays well. This stuff going around is terrible.

Hey, robinh, do you have a pharmacist you trust? maybe you could ask if they have something like Tamilflu, but without the things in it you SO is allergic to? (Make sure you bring a list of his allergies with you!)

Asiel
01-11-2013, 07:08 PM
So far so good here. I actually never get the flu. Even a cold doesn't happen often.....I've never taken the flu shot and probably never will. Anything free from the government I don't trust. My doctor prefers I don't take it so I'm happy with that.

happylabs
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear that you are sick. Hopefully you mend quickly.

I remember when my son was little, probably about 18 months old. My husband at the time and I both got the flu at the same time and our son did not. My husband took the recliner and I took the couch and we blocked the little guy in the room with us with furniture so he couldn't wander aimlessly through the house. Oh the good old days!

robinh
01-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Karen, he talked to the pharmacist at the VA Hospital where he gets his treatment. They came up with an alternative - it's not as effecive as the Tamiflu, but supposed to do something similar.

His fever broke last night, so I'm hoping he's on his way. Poor guy looks like death warmed over. I'm making tea with honey in it to help his throat and trying to get him to eat to build his strength. After that it's a waiting game, at least it was for me.

Donnaj4962
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I went to bed New Year's Eve feeling perfectly fine.... woke up at 3:30 feeling like I was coughing up a lung! Yes, it came on THAT fast! By the second day, I had the flu-like symptoms in addition to the fever/chills/stuffiness/cough! I finally went to the doctor and was told I also have bronchitis and was in stage one of walking pneumonia! This is certainly not anything to mess around with! Please, everyone stay healthy and if you DO start showing signs, please get to the doctor or ER immediately! My doctor told me that this specific strain is sitting dormant for a week to 10 days and then BAM! There it is!

I got a z-pak, and am starting to feel better.... just have this lingering cough! Ugh!

chocolatepuppy
01-12-2013, 09:51 AM
This is the first winter season I got a flu shot. Never had the flu in my life but felt I might be pushing my luck.;) Seeing how bad it is this year I'm really glad I did!
I hope all of you that are sick recover soon.