PDA

View Full Version : Knotty problem

Valerie
12-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Hope somebody out there has a solution. My darling old (20 years) cat is a semi-long hair with fine fur and a fine undercoat. Last year we took her to the vet to get her clipped because she had so many tangles on her tummy. (She won't let us brush her there.) Anyway, they ended up shaving her because the tangles were so close to her skin. The fur's grown back in and despite my best efforts, she has more tangles. I don't want to put her through the misery of getting her shaved again. When I try to work the tangles out, she attacks me (she has all her claws). I think the problem may be bothering me more than her and at her advanced age I don't want to cause too much stress. Any solutions?

jenluckenbach
12-05-2002, 11:45 AM
To be honest, shaving is the best. Here's why: Even though some knots have the ability of being combed out, it does pull and an older cat's skin will probably be more sensitive to this (as shown by her attacking) Shaving does not hurt the cat, but they may need to be placed in a semi-uncomfortably position for a few minutes (Most cats don't like to be laid on their back). Now, if you just ignore the knots, they will not get better. They will only get worse. The tighter the knots, the more pain to the skin. Air cannont reach the skin either. I have seen such bad matting (I am a groomer) that the fur literally peals away from the skin. I would find a vet or preferably a groomer who will do only the bare minimum needed to make her comfortable (vs. the whole bath/brush routine) have the knots shaved away and sent home. This is more humane than allowing the mats just grow until she passes away.

Valerie
12-05-2002, 11:50 AM
Yikes! I never even thought of all the ramifications of just leaving the knots. Thanks so much for your input.

jenluckenbach
12-05-2002, 12:09 PM
I am embarrased to say, but I should have said WELCOME first. Guess I got carried away......so

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME
and good luck with the kitty.