PDA

View Full Version : Once upon a time on Pet Talk

Karen
12-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Just was thinking of Pet Talkers we have lost over the years, and miss this time of year.

Today's Pet of the Day reminded me of Corinna, a wonderful, caring lady, and friend to many. She used to have Angora rabbits, and would spin yarn from their fur. There are Pet Talk families who have quilts she made, sewn together from squares people sent in. Her beloved grand baby is growing up, and I hope her family is telling how much Corinna would have loved her.

That also made me think of others, Sammi - whose given name was Molly, a wonderful lady from North Dakota who was at the first Pet Talk gathering in Texas. She was a petite lady, Harley rider, great friend to dogs, and loved her Labs very much.

And of course Randi's Jonza, his many posts and threads of cat adventures, and his intelligence and sense of humor are missed.

And Phred, whose remaining dogs are safely living out their lives with Diana (Four Dog Mom), but who posts in Cinder and Smoke's "voices" made us all smile, laugh, and sometimes cry. Phone calls with him were also treasured. He cared so very much for so many Pet Talkers, and was a stalwart, thoughtful member, and organizer of the Findlay gatherings. And firefighters everywhere have a fonder spot in all our hearts because of him. He retained his sense of humor through it all. And I am sure is having a grand time, trading stories with all the members above listed.

And this fall, we lost, quite suddenly, Daisy and Delilah's mom, Terry. It's still hard to remember she isn't just away from the board for a few days, but has joined the gabfest up past the Rainbow Bridge. I have her address in my list for Christmas cards still, and had to not send one, which gave me pause. Every year, the song I think of as their "theme song" - the old pop tune "Fire" - which in my brain got adapted long ago to "Romeo and Juliet, Daisy and Delilah ...."" still popped into my head when I got to that spot in the list.

There are many holiday memories involving all of them, and other memories I just thought I'd start a place to share them if anyone would like to add their own. And memories of others - even non-Pet Talkers - just once upon a time stories - are of course welcome.

I have the urge to bake Stollen, gingerbread (not the cookies, the cake), and get roll dough going, thanks, Ma, and Grandma!

Lady's Human
12-24-2012, 01:07 AM
I enjoyed talking the Phred the few times he called, and we still have the kitty mugs Corinna sent us one christmas.

If you're going to toss out gingerbread (dittos the thanks to Gramma Peterson) you have to toss in the one allowable use for cool whip, which is to top the said gingerbread.

cassiesmom
12-24-2012, 02:16 AM
What a great thread! :love: Phred helped me replace my first fire extinguisher, which I received as a housewarming gift, after it "aged out". He told me to take it to the local fire station for disposal and gave me instructions on how to replace it with a better one.

I was at the supermarket yesterday. At the front of the store they have a display of "Holiday Items". On the top shelf - bottles of clam juice, which is forever linked to Phred in my mind :)
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?15656-Dear-Phred&referrerid=14351

Karen, I'm going to think of Terry every time I hear that disco song now! Romeo and Juliet ... Daisy and Delilah ... :love: :love:

pomtzu
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Great thread, Karen. I only "knew" Terry, and not the others, and felt honored that she called me "friend". My only regret is that I never got to meet her in person. She was such a lovely, caring and kind soul, and I miss her presence here. She will never be forgotten.

Scooter's Mom
12-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Great thread, Karen.
I didn't know any of the PT'ers mentioned here all that well... but it still saddens me that they are no longer with us.

Karen
12-24-2012, 10:25 AM
For those who didn't know Phred, but would like to, here's one of his iconic threads/stories Cinder wants to keep the Stray she found (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?3850-Cinder-wants-to-keep-the-Stray-she-found)

Scooter's Mom
12-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I knew Phredd, I just wasn't close to Phredd.
Thanks for the link to that thread, it's a great heartwarming read. I remember reading that and of how Phredd came to keep Bowser, who was the childhood pet of another Pt member but had been living with her grandfather (is that right?). Phredd was such a good man.

mruffruff
12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Phred's posts were the first thing that brought me to PetTalk. I'll always remember him. He was a great guy.

I miss a lot of the older members and hope to renew my aquaintances with those still around. I've been gone for a while, but still think of everyone.

Mary

chocolatepuppy
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Pet Talk is a wonderful place we can all call home.:love: Thank you Karen and Paul!

momoffuzzyfaces
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Phred has been on my mind lately too. Here is a pic of him with Cinder and Smokey also of a Christmas card he sent me. :love:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/MOFF55/Phred-1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/MOFF55/f0f0e8ac.jpg

Barbara
12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I got in contact with Phred first when Filou started to be in renal failure-he sent me all the threads about Boots who had passed away from the same disease.
And of course I will never forget having met Jonza-what a special man! Both their threads are pieces of literature, about as good as the web can go.
These people are part of my life.... Forever.

zippy-kat
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I knew Phredd, I just wasn't close to Phredd.
Thanks for the link to that thread, it's a great heartwarming read. I remember reading that and of how Phredd came to keep Bowser, who was the childhood pet of another Pt member but had been living with her grandfather (is that right?). Phredd was such a good man.

Kind of. Bowser never belonged to me - he was always my grandpa's dog. I didn't get to see either much, just during vacations. I did get to see/play with Bowser as a pup though and have a few pictures of him growing up, too.

Of those mentioned, I knew Phred the best. Staci and I talk of him and "blame" things on him frequently. ("Blame" as in the dog that keeps running away from it's owner and showing up on my door step is probably his handiwork. He always thought I needed a dog. Lol)

I often think of Wanda and Ritzy. "Everything's better with a Ritzy on it... or in it."

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank you zippy for mentioning Wanda and Ritz! Debbie and I had dinner with her - she was delightful - as was John aka Jonza. We visited Munich and Barbara and Siegmar with him, Randi, and Vio.

Phred and I talked on the phone on a rescue attempt in 2002 and corresponded often.

So many memories!

Alysser
12-24-2012, 09:26 PM
People tend to forget that holidays are sometimes sad reminders of what we lost, but in light of all that, we must remember that NONE of these members would want us to be sad.

I "knew" Phred and Corinna, but not very well. I remember reading about Bowser though, that's how I originally joined. It pretty much inspired me to join, I suppose.

I LOVED chatting with Terry, she LOVED my Sassy and welcomed me with open arms, she was soooo sweet and so genuine. She loved dogs and people alike and she always always always had something nice to say, something to donate, prayers and thoughts. :love: I thought of her the other day actually, I miss her a lot. Her posts were great. :love:

Karen
12-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Yes, Tonya, thanks for mentioning Wanda and Ritzie - I think of her, of course, whenever I pass the display of her crackers at the supermarket! I knew there was someone I wasn't remembered when I typed it, thanks!

Catty1
12-25-2012, 09:02 AM
If I recall correctly, Wanda's husband posted a few times after she passed away, mostly to let us know. I think there was an update on Ritzy also. I hope they are both doing well...and that maybe he may post here now and again.

gini
12-25-2012, 11:54 PM
I think one of the things I have been able to do that made me the happiest - and that was to go back to Findlay for one of the picnics - when I also got to meet Phred. If there was anyone who ever made you want to just jump up and give him a big hug - it was Phred. You simply loved him - he was such a wonderful man who did so much for so many - human and four leggers too. He called me after I broke my femur and I was in the hospital. He called a couple of times and he was such a great support and cheered me up so much.

Karen thank you for starting this thread - because it is you and Paul that have given us the opportunity to meet such wonderful people and pet owners. I will always be eternally grateful.

Lots of love to all..................from Gini, Annie and Emma

Randi
12-26-2012, 08:52 AM
I miss them all, especially John, of course. He was fun and inspiring to be with, and always very helpful to all of his friends. I SO miss him! It was sad that he didn't live long enough to attend the 3rd BBQ at Gini's - he would have enjoyed it so much! He talked about hiring a car and planned to drive to many places in CA, and even visit Arizona.

Phred was a really special guy and such a big help to everyone who needed advise, whether it was about "plumbing" problems in cats, fire extinguisher info or other things, and he had exceptionally good organizing skills. Because of Phred, many PTalkers met at Findlay.

Wanda, I think about when I see this thread that John started - Ritzy was part of that: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?42305-The-Cruise-Of-The-Good-Ship-quot-Feline-Princess-quot&highlight=feline+princess

And Corinna was a really nice lady. She made some fantastic things out of wool she spun herself, hair from several PT furbabies.

Molly, I didn't know that well, but Terry was a big part of PT and it's not so long ago we lost her.

May they all Rest in Peace! :love:

Bibette & Lulu
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you, Karen, for bringing Phred to life again. This is not my favorite time of year, even though it was his. We have lost too many family members his time of year, including him. I loved reading the story of Smokey's adoption and naming. The PT side of John was one that I was not aware of until I met the PT attendees at his funeral. This is a special site for me, as it brings me closer to the brother I never really knew. Best wishes to all for a healthy and happy New Year.

Nancy (Phred's sister and mom to Bibette & Lulu)

Karen
12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Good to hear from you, Nancy! Hope you and the kitties stay warm and safe during this storm!

It's funny

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?" is traditionally a New Year's Eve song, but I was thinking of them all at Christmas time, and still am.

MoonandBean
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Sadly, I'm just now finding out about Terry. I'm not on here much but I do treasure all the posts from members I've grown to "know". As for Phred, I will always believe that his Pup Pawrayers during Bean's absence is what helped guide his way home :love: That post made me laugh and cry at the same time sitting at my desk at work...my co-worker thought I was nuts :love:

shais_mom
12-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Mary - MruffRuff!

and Hi Nancy!

yes what a great thread! Tonya and I sure do talk about Phred often but I think both of us were glad that he was there to welcome our 4 pets that passed this year. And I am fairly certain Phred had a hand in a certain little brown dog that has his head on my lap as I'm typing this. :)

Happy New Year my (our) old Friends - you may be gone but you will never be forgotten!

Karen
12-31-2012, 06:21 PM
And I will think of them all again tonight, whoever I hear "Auld Lang Syne" and think of the many family members and friends who have gone before us.

maid25cats
01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Karen
I have seen posting on here about Phred
Thank you for putting the link of the cinder thread
I really enjoyed reading it. It was very funny and heartwarming :love: :D
Those pups kept him on his toes and everyone else entertained

Karen
01-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Karen
I have seen posting on here about Phred
Thank you for putting the link of the cinder thread
I really enjoyed reading it. It was very funny and heartwarming :love: :D
Those pups kept him on his toes and everyone else entertained

And are still keeping laps warm - see photographic evidence in this thread! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?180473-Happy-Birthday-Cinder-and-Smokey!)