PDA

View Full Version : The first pictures of Ebony!!

ChrisH
12-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Yes, she`s here!!:D I don`t think she is too impressed though!

Who are you?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p16d0fe445bd1513db7764b59556c71ae/fcf8e11a.jpg

Do I really have to stay?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p9c3c850e48be5bf1e9cf066407265499/fcf8e119.jpg

I put her in my junk room/Dannielles playroom, hence all the toys. She did come out of the carrier once and had a little look around half the room, should have had my camera ready then! Anyway, I stayed in there with her for about an hour, just not doing anything really, just sitting and reading the stuff the shelter gave me. I was VERY tempted to try to get her out, (I want to fuss her!) but I didn`t, I know I have to be patient.
Bob has seen her, in the carrier that is. I put her on the kitchen table when I came in and of course he jumps up to take a look and sniff, I am not sure what she did but there was a noise like she bashed the carrier door, I told him leave, which he was already doing, lol, and sent him to his bed and that was that. They sort of watched each other while I got a cup of tea and put some shopping away.
Well, thats the story so far. Be sure, there will be updates and pictures galore!!
Got to go see if shes ok:D

Edwina's Secretary
12-04-2002, 10:06 AM
What a lot of toys she will have to play with (just kidding!)

She is a beauty and lives up to her name!

She'll come around, I'm sure! (Now whisper a message in Bob's ear for me...."come on big boy! make her welcome!")

Uabassoon
12-04-2002, 10:08 AM
She's so pretty. Congrats on getting your new cat!!

Ann
12-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Aw, she's really pretty! Congrats on your new addition to your family :)

Vermontcat
12-04-2002, 10:32 AM
Congrats on bringing her home Chris! She is beautiful!!!
Give her time to get used to her new surroundings and don't be surprised if she decides to play with some of those toys in the middle of the night when you are trying to sleep.:D
It sounds like she may already have the upper paw with Bob, maybe she will be the boss of the two of them.:)

ramanth
12-04-2002, 10:37 AM
She's adorable!!! Congrats on your new addition. :D

Barbara
12-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
It sounds like she may already have the upper paw with Bob, maybe she will be the boss of the two of them.:)

In most of the cases: kitties rule!
She's so sweet.
A little scared but curious. Give her time!
What a beauty!

Cataholic
12-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Ebony, you are beautiful! Don't be scared that you are staying in a room that resembles Santa's Workshop!!! He he he...

Be patient, Chris, Ebony will come to love and trust you in no time!

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Oh! Ebony is gorgeous!!! I am in love!

She'll come out eventually...she is just scared and is unsure of her new surroundings. Lots of soft talking to her will calm her....as well as one of those feather toys. Play with it by yourself and she'll come out. :)

Let us know how it goes.

There is another Ebony at the shelter we help out at that has stolen my heart. She looks just like your Ebony...and is a huge sweetie. I really think I would take her home in an instant...but, alas, she hates other cats. :(

ChrisH
12-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone. She has come out of the carrier and gone into hiding!:) She is under the sofa bed, lying on top of a deflated Teletubbies tent :D and the funny thing is that Id put pillows on the sofa thinking maybe she`d like to get comfortable on it.lol. I plan to leave her be, just go and sit in there now and again, read a book or something.

Originally written by Cataholic
Ebony, you are beautiful! Don't be scared that you are staying in a room that resembles Santa's Workshop!!! He he he...
That is closer to the truth than you think, there are even more in other parts of the room!
Ive been meaning to sort it out for ages, in fact I told Dannielle we should do it before Ebony came. As we haven`t, yesterday she asked if maybe it would delay Ebony coming and could she help me clear some out! She was very happy when I told her it was ok.
Back later!:)

Tina
12-04-2002, 12:16 PM
She is so beautiful!! Congrats getting your new furbaby!!

AmberLee
12-04-2002, 03:23 PM
What a beauty! And she's starting to come out of her shelter already -- great sign. Keep in mind that we love photos as she explores more and more.

:D :rolleyes: :D

lynnestankard
12-04-2002, 05:18 PM
Oh Hurray you got her Chris. Isn't she gorgeous? She looks a little like Bagel and such a cutie-pie!! She'll settle in very soon no doubt. Enjoy having such a beautiful furbaby,
{{{{Hugs}}}}

Lynne

Miss Meow
12-04-2002, 05:58 PM
I can see how you fell in love with her, what a beauty :) Look forward to seeing more pics as she settles in. I'm so excited for you!

jenluckenbach
12-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Ebony is lovely!!!! Don't be surprised if you can't find her later. I had one hide so well once, I thought he escaped.....even though I knew that was impossible. But you are doing all the right things. Just staying in their quietly with her, she can see, hear (if you talk to yourself....and you should) and smell you and get used to all those things. Can't wait for updates.

SANDY FROST
12-05-2002, 12:55 AM
She truly is is a beauty. I think Bob and Ebony will
be friends.
:D Sandy Frost

koxka
12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Hurray , another furbaby to enjoy at Pettalk (pictures included) ! And a black beauty! CONGRATS! CONGRATS!

BTW How old is she?

ChrisH
12-05-2002, 09:41 AM
Thanks all.:)
Well, she has been here for 24 hours now and has been hearing a lot of noise she maybe is not used to. Simpson, the dog next door has been doing an awful lot of extra barking to make her feel welcome, lol, two cats were fighting right outside last evening and during the night - 5.45 this morning which is still night to me:) - the water pipes made an almighty racket, woke me up! No wonder she is still in hiding under the sofabed!
She did eat a bit and use the litter tray yesterday, which I thought was good. In the shelter she was fed dry food in the morning and meat food in the evening. I planned to keep her to just dry food but this afternoon I went and got some meaty food too, in the hope that she may begin to like to see me come in with that meaty smell!:)
Bob has been ok, I think he realises she is in the room but he hasn`t tried to get in there or been sniffing around the door sort of stuff, well, while I have been awake anyway. :)

Everybody, I am thinking about changing her name. I should think it is a bit easier to do with cats than dogs, isn`t it?
I like Ebony well enough it is just that the dreadful song Ebony and Ivory by Paul MaCartney & Stevie Wonder keeps running through my head all the time! (apologies to those who may love it!) I was thinking of something a bit upercrust like Milady (she has got that sort of air about her, you know what I mean!), or maybe Liza or Beth (Elizabeth) or something Egyptian, Cleo or a cat god name! All suggestions welcome.

koxka, she is 3 years old.

Edwina's Secretary
12-05-2002, 09:54 AM
I am glad to hear you are considering to change her name. Ebony seems a bit ....well...obvious. Beth is nice and goes nicely with Bob!

Randi
12-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Congrats Chris! She is beautiful! I can hear you're on the right track with her. :D She'll soon be so curious that she'll come out. :)

Barbara
12-05-2002, 10:18 AM
Difficult to mix into linguistic problems if you hardly know the language but isn't Beth a little too common? She looks like a real beauty and not like any Tom, Dick or Harry:D

It is very difficult to judge names in foreign languages. In your own language, a first name tells you the age of a person, the cultural background and the area (e.g. a Florian over 50 will be from Bavaria only, under 10 he can come from everywhere in Germany) -in foreign languages you have no idea.

The only cat goddess I know is Bastet -but she's an Aby living in Australia. ;)

I am curious with what you'll end up.

jenluckenbach
12-05-2002, 10:45 AM
I would not consider Beth to be a common name, for a pet at least, and it sure does go well with Bob. But I personnally like 2 syllable names, something like Shimmer or Mystic.

All Creatures Great And Small
12-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I had one hide so well once, I thought he escaped.....even though I knew that was impossible. Hee hee - the boy kitty I grew up with once disappeared into the middle of a box spring on one of our beds - the fabric was ripped on one side, so he crawled into the hole and wound himself between the coils until he was somewhere in the middle - we kept hearing this muffled meowing, but couldn't figure out where it was from! Eventually we had to rip the heck out of that box spring to get him out:D :p - it was an old junky one anyway.

Oh, is Ebony-for-now a beautiful girl!!!! (And yes, that Paul McCartney song IS annoying, LOL) As far as names, we always start out naming a kitty something, but it mutates into so many goofy nicknames, that eventually we forget what the heck the kitty's "real" name even is! I think inspiration will just strike you one day as you are gazing on her lovely little face, or observing her behavior.

catland
12-05-2002, 11:07 AM
Go ahead and change the name. My Sidney's shelter name was "Elmer". He just didn't seem like an Elmer to me so we gave him his new "forever" name of Sidney.

Also, there's no rush. Back in 1984, when I adopted a cat , I didn't even name her for a few weeks until I was certain that I had the right name. I named her Lucy, after the Peanut's character, because she had the same personality.

Enjoy your new kitty!!!!

Edwina's Secretary
12-05-2002, 11:12 AM
I like Beth as it is a nickname for (Queen) Elizabeth! How about Nefurtiti (don't know if that is spelled right.) A black queen!

12-05-2002, 12:38 PM
What a beautiful black cat !! I hope you will find a suitable name fot her . I like Ebony , but of course , it is your cat ! We also renamed out Maya when we got home with her from the shelter . They had named her "PITOE" ,; but as she didn't even react tot that name , AND because "Pitoe" is a doggie-name here , we chose for "MAYA" !!:D :eek: :D

ChrisH
12-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Ebony came out from under to eat the meaty stuff! I just sat on the floor a little way away and watched her, I did think of stroking her but resisted for now. She ate what she wanted and sat a minute then strolled back under the sofa. And I didn`t have my camera with me! I will go back and sit for while later on and I`ll take it with me, bet she won`t come out and get her picture took though! :)

Edwinas Secretary, I really like Nefertiti :) and Jenluchenbach I really like Mystic too. I also thought of Lisbet which was another Queen Elizabeth nickname. Okay, so far I have Beth, Nefertiti, Mystic and Lisbet. :)

Chris

Vermontcat
12-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Chris, I was under the impression that maybe you chose her because her name was kind of similar to your RB bird Bonnie...
Ebony... Eb Bon eeee...Bonnie!
But I do like the name Mystic too, maybe wait for her personality to come out as she gets less shy,
maybe she will be a Shadow or Slinky or Velvet( when she lets you pet her):)

ChrisH
12-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Vermontcat, yes, maybe the RB Bonnie connection is there. I can`t actually call her Bonnie though, it somehow doesn`t fit right, that name is my little bird, I see her when I hear it or think of it. Does that make any sense?

Bit of fun tonight when I went to sit in with Ebony. I saw she`d used the litter tray so I went to scoop out, talking to her all the time, and I just glanced toward under the sofa and I couldn`t see her! Now I didn`t panic (not really, lol) cos I know she couldn`t have got out, but where was she? I looked in likely places, twice! No Ebony. then out of the corner of my eye I saw the curtains move and a little head poke out! Logical place really. :rolleyes: She didn`t want me to pet her though so I left her there and began reading my book, after a few minutes she came out, walked to one side of the room then walked back to her hiding place. This is her on her way back, not a very good picture though.

Vermontcat
12-05-2002, 03:40 PM
You will find the right name for her,
I wasn't saying to call her Bonnie, that didn't seem right but I noticed it did sound similar and it does go with Bob's name ok.

I was wondering if she had a window with a view in the room, of course she would love to be up there to look out on the world especially at night I bet!;)

She looks nice against the red rug, black cats look nice with red, there is a pettalker who has a red room for her cats, I think it is 2kitties.:)

AmberLee
12-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Yippee! Good progress. She is a beauty!

I was playing around with Black Beauty, B.B., BeeBee ... not sure if this appeals to you at all. As others have said, the name will come with time. Thyme? Rosemary? Cinnamon??? I'm getting punchy.

Anyway, Good luck to you and your darling furkids.

jenluckenbach
12-05-2002, 05:20 PM
In the new picture that shows her walking across the room she looks calm, not cowering or racing. She is sniffing the carpet, I believe, so she is checking everything out.:) Looks good to me.:D

Vermontcat
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Amberlee, Chris and I both noticed in another thread how much Boscibo's Abby looks like Ebony, she said she likes the name Abby too and it still has that BB sound in it too!:)

SANDY FROST
12-05-2002, 05:59 PM
I like the name Ebony but if you have to chance it how about
Midnight.:)

krazyaboutkatz
12-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Chris, Ebony (or whatever name you choose for her) is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure she'll let you pet her very soon. You could also call her Magic as in Black Magic. :)

Nomilynn
12-06-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Chris, Ebony (or whatever name you choose for her) is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure she'll let you pet her very soon. You could also call her Magic as in Black Magic. :)

oooh I like Magic.. it's kinda mysterious!! :D

Congrats on such a beautiful kitty!!

shais_mom
12-06-2002, 01:27 AM
I love her! She is gorgeous!!!
Black kitties are my favorite!!!
I like the name Mystic!! Or Jinx. One of my best friends had a long haired black cat with bright green eyes named Jinx.

ChrisH
12-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Hi everybody, thanks for the encouragement and name suggestions, a few more to add to my list :) Another one that popped into my head last night was Sheba.
She is back in hiding today but last night she was came out quite confidently. I sat on the floor for a while as she walked around, then laydown doing all that stretchy stuff, showing her belly (lol) and sitting washing her face a little. She still moved away when I went to pet her though. And no, I didn`t have my camera with me and when I did go and get it I just got the one pic then the flash on the camera wouldn`t work cos the batteries are low :mad: and of course today she won`t come out in the daylight. Oh well.
This pic isn`t great and she has flash eyes but if you look close you can see the little white spot on her chest.

Rocky'smomma
12-06-2002, 07:11 AM
She is beautiful!!!

Edwina's Secretary
12-06-2002, 08:12 AM
She showed her belly!!!!! Wow...that is fabulous progress. That is a sign she is getting comfortable with you and trusting of you.

When she sleeps in your presence - you're in!

Way to go!!!!!

lynnestankard
12-06-2002, 08:30 AM
Chris - sounds like you're doing all the right things - on these photos she looks quite happy and content. Reckon you'll have a lap cat before too long! Hope so!

Lynne

2kitties
12-06-2002, 09:06 AM
Ebony is beautiful:D
Taz says he'd like her phone number if she's single.
Looks like a really fun place to live, I'm sure she'll be out and about in no time. Congrats to both of you.

smokey the elder
12-06-2002, 10:03 AM
What a pretty black kitty Ebony or Little Miss Whatshername is. She looks a lot like my TicTac.

Good luck with your new addition!

Cataholic
12-06-2002, 07:22 PM
When I adopted Tex, he was called Tux..I don't know why..:D
I wanted to change it a little, so I switched it to Tex..which became Texas....
With that in mind, what about Ebby? Close, but not really. It 'goes' with Bob...

If you don't like that, what about Ireland? Or Spade?

sasvermont
12-06-2002, 08:21 PM
How about the name Ebeth...I had a friend named that....short for Elizabeth....

She seems to be making great progress. And what a great room for her to consider home. Lots of things to "get into".... LOL!

Keep us posted!:)

ChrisH
12-07-2002, 09:20 AM
Cataholic and sasvermont - you have just given me my shortlist (I think! lol)! if I don`t stickwith Ebony her name will be either Ebby or Ebeth. Thanks :)

jenluckenbach
12-07-2002, 03:47 PM
If we can vote, I like Ebby. That is real cute.