PDA

View Full Version : What is in a name?

RICHARD
12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I love 'acts of disobedience', love pranks and practical jokes.

I used to work in and office and when we got supplies from the storeroom, we had to sign a slip.

I would diligently sign my name and then thought, "is anyone really paying attention here?"

My signature turned into a scrawl, then a letter with a line behind it.

-----------------

No reaction.....

So, I began to write in people like George Washington....some famous, some obscurely famous and some infamous.....
That went on for a while until someone figured out that Charles Manson didn't work in the office.

-----------------

During the baseball and football seasons, people would "run squares" for the betting pools. You signed your name into a square, with your phone extension, and after the numbers were drawn, xerox copies were made and given out.

Everyone knew our extension - my dept ran the pools - so I was a huge proponent of putting a famous person's name into the square with the office phone number.

So, if we ever ran afoul of the rules, an investigation would lead to politicians, sports figures or the scoundrel of the day - Lorena Bobbit is one person that comes to mind...:D

--------------

Lately I have been a little bored and looking a way to have some fun.....

And I have found it!

There is a pizza place on the corner, not more than .5 miles from the house.

It makes no sense to order a pizza, wait 30-40 minutes for a delivery and have to pay the surcharge and tip the driver.

If you order on-line, you have to give a name to pick it up.

The first time George Harrison picked up his order, the guy behind the counter laughed and said, "Oh I see you are still alive...." I smiled and answered, "And still rocking!"

Tonight Roger Waters went in and the gal working the register looked, but didn't say anything....

---------------------

It makes me want to eat pizza three times a week, just to see how many people I can mention before someone says anything!

I am willing to take suggestions, but it will take me while to get around to them, pizza, more than once every two weeks is overkill?

mrspunkysmom
12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Who is Roger Waters?

Freedom
12-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Who is Roger Waters?

I wondered that too, used Google; founding member of Pink Floyd - them I sort of heard of, but never listened to them.

Richard, you are comical, glad I know ya! ;)

Karen
12-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Sorry Richard - Roger Waters left PF in 1985, so unless the girl at the counter was over 30, she likely was not paying attention to music when he was still playing! And Waters is a pretty common last name, you'd be better off signing as Adam Levine or Adam Lambert or, considering what state you live in now, Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney ....

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
I think we have seen the last few weeks just how fun and funny pranks are...especially for the unknowing/unwilling victim. You know...like Jacintha Saldanha?

Sorry...just don't see the humor.

Karen
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
There are fun pranks, then there are stupid pranks, and heartless people who don't take the time to consider any consequences. Richard's prank, no big deal. That radio station's prank? Worse than thoughtless, malicious.

smokey the elder
12-14-2012, 07:41 AM
When I was at Bubba Gump's in Orlando, they actually encouraged us to use a celebrity's name for them to call when our table was ready! I vetoed K's initial choice because it was sick, so we picked Springsteen.

A training I recently took used Presidents' and Founding Fathers' names as examples rather than the tired old John Smith and Mary Doe, which I thought was clever and creative.

A good way to foil hacks is to put fake names in security questions. I've been so tempted "mother's maiden name" Elizabeth Windsor (aka QEII)!:p

Edwina's Secretary
12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
There are fun pranks, then there are stupid pranks, and heartless people who don't take the time to consider any consequences. Richard's prank, no big deal. That radio station's prank? Worse than thoughtless, malicious.

Sorry Karen. I don't find laughing at people funny. Never have, never will. To me "pranking" is just bullying by another name.

ChrisH
12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Sorry Richard - Roger Waters left PF in 1985, so unless the girl at the counter was over 30, she likely was not paying attention to music when he was still playing! And Waters is a pretty common last name, you'd be better off signing as Adam Levine or Adam Lambert or, considering what state you live in now, Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney ....
You're right of course Karen, but perhaps some will recall his name after his appearance in the 121212 concert in aid of those affected by hurricane Sandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvqCIeZGGQ

RICHARD
12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
At the Kroger up the street there is a young gal - about 25? - who wears a Pink Floyd/Wall sweatshirt....

She's usually in the aisles stocking the shelves and knows me because when I walk by her I give her the 'devil's horn' with my fingers and say, "Pink Floyd".

She laughs and probably thinks, "Who is this old dude that listens to my music?"

:D

RICHARD
12-15-2012, 10:01 AM
THIS IS ONE WONDERFUL PRANK/JOKE/HOAX.....

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/14/indiana-jones-mysterious-mail-arrives-at-university-of-chicago/

I hate stuff like this because it's such a well thought out and brilliant joke.:D