PDA

View Full Version : My first feral foster .... any advice?

kimlovescats
12-04-2002, 12:24 AM
Today I took in a feral kitten of about 4-5 months of age. I have him in our smaller kennel run ... that I use for quarantine. He is a gorgeous little orange tabby boy, but definitely very scared of humans. The lady who trapped him, worked with him about a week and could at least pick him up, and pet him a little .... but tonight he hissed and scratched my finger. He runs and hides at the back of the kennel whenever I come in the room. I really am determined to make friends with this little guy, and show him human love. He deserves to have a chance at a permanent loving home, and I just HAVE to make this little fellow realize that!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh, his name is Giles!

Barbara
12-04-2002, 03:02 AM
The best thing for him: Give him a place where he can hide (under the bed or something) and from where he can watch what happens. Kittens are so curious - he will come out at the end. My first cat Grisette from a feral litter , caught at about 3 months, lived under the kitchen cupboard for 3 weeks -just coming out for food and the litterbox.
Just let him time!

sasvermont
12-04-2002, 03:37 AM
Time, it takes time. Make sure this guy is not ill - I am sure you know to do that.

I too would give him a hiding spot. I would try to spend time playing with him with something so fun that he can't resisit. Maybe a peacock feather.....something like that....something on a string so you can be far away from him at first. Then, shorten the distance each day. Try bringing out some sort of smelly treat for him....He sounds as though he will be an easy one, for sure, since the original trapper had him calmed down.

Keep us posted.

;)

HoUsEkaT
12-04-2002, 06:03 AM
Go slow. A small, well lit room with short visits from you will help him out.

wayne0214
12-04-2002, 06:17 AM
Kimlovescats, kittens can be unpredictable at times, concerning their acceptance of humans, especially when they come from a background like the one you have. Give him time, a place to run and hide, and also give him something to eat that he cannot resist, like tuna. I have found that by giving a cat, in a strange place, with new people, some special treat, can do much to correct their behavior into what we are looling for.:)

.........wayne

moosmom
12-04-2002, 10:11 AM
kimlovescats,

You got great advice here. Another suggestion would be to put a nightlight in the room and a radio that plays soft (classical) music. Go in the room and putter, which will get him used to you being there. It will take time, love and alot of patience on your part. But kittens are alot easier to socialize than older feral cats. You are so great to do that. And I think your determination in making him a house kitty will prevail.

Another thing you can do when you have time is go in the room and read out loud to him so he gets used to your voice. Also, throw treats his way (bribery???) He'll come around. And the end result is so rewarding.

Handling him will also teach him that you aren't going to harm him. But give him time to get used to his surroundings first.

Good luck with your quest. Please keep us posted.

Cataholic
12-04-2002, 10:28 AM
You might want to check out my thred about Minnie the feral kitty that STILL lives under my bed, and I have had her since July. Progress is slow, but soooo rewarding.

good luck.

Lillycat
12-04-2002, 05:39 PM
such a challenge.....but the love at the end of the tunnel will be sooo rewarding!;)

kimlovescats
12-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Thank you all so much for the great advice and support. I was able to pet him for quite a while this evening .... and although he hissed alot, he closed his eyes for a while ... just couldn't resist that good loving! hehe .... I am very optimistic about this little guy, just nervous since this is my first feral!

No, I don't plan to keep this one .... he is just a foster .... hope I will be able to give him up if and when I get him ready!:p

NoahsMommy
12-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Kim,
Sounds like things are beginning to go well with little Giles...LOVE that name! :)

I would also try to temp him with the much coveted TURKEY...our furbabies will do anything for it. :)

jenluckenbach
12-05-2002, 11:18 AM
I have never had a feral, but I hae had the super shy. TIME is the key. So not too much advice from me, but LOTS of good wishes!!!