PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays #510 - St. Nicholas Day!

cassiesmom
12-06-2012, 12:43 PM
It's Dec. 6 - St. Nicholas Day! I'm Czech on my mom's side, Polish on my dad's side; so we note the day in my family. From what I have read it is a tradition of northern and eastern Europe. On Dec. 5 children place their shoes beside the door at bedtime. In the morning they find goodies tucked into their shoes - little gifts, fruit, and candy or cookies. (Or a lump of coal, if they've been naughty) When I was little there was an orange in my stocking every year. Most years there would be a Father Christmas cookie like this one. At the Czech bakery they're not baked in a mold, but they are wrapped with a colored picture of Father Christmas on top. They are yummy, gingery, similar to Dutch Spekulaas (sp?) cookies. In Czech he's called Pernik.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HW5gcMyH7e4/R1IjMv5tVbI/AAAAAAAABAM/sLgzvPsUL3s/s400/100_2572.jpg

I had St. Nick on my calendar for the wrong day! Thought I was supposed to hang up my stocking tomorrow night and find it filled on Saturday. Whoops! So -- how about a piece of gingerbread with me?

Happy Saint Nicholas Day,
Elyse

RICHARD
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for opening the bar...I think I am going to put on a pot of water to make some tea, coffee and maybe a chocolate.

---------

Gingery cookies always remind me of winter and Christmas.

DOne!

gini
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Wow - oooo - it is so quiet in here, where is everyone? Maybe out doing some Christmas shopping.

It looks like Richard has already put the lights on the tree - what a great job he did. So I will start to put the ornaments on the tree - sure hope someone shows up to help me.

Hmmm, I wonder what is available at the bar to drink.

Karen
12-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I'll get some hot cocoa going - with or without cinnamon, as desired! And Richard's got the kettle on for tea - and Gini, I think there might be some of Slick's Bailey's around here to spike the cocoa with if you'd like?

I'll help hang ornaments, but am not allowed on any ladders, for safety's sake!

Pinot's Mom
12-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Sorry I was absent! I was out on the town with the girls.

I have a pot of coffee on and I'll fix a batch of cinnamon buns - y'all in?

Karen
12-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Cinnamon buns sounds perfect for a December morning! I'll have some! And even share a nibble with Miss Pinot, if she'd like one!

momoffuzzyfaces
12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry to be late to the party!!! Cinnamon buns sound lovely. I'd like one with some hot chocolate if there are any left. :love:

cassiesmom
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh boy, I just got home from doing some errands and the traffic was a mess! I'm putting on water for tea, and I'm going to spike mine with just a bit of rum to help wash away all the December Saturday drivers!

pomtzu
12-08-2012, 04:28 PM
It's a crappy and damp and chilly day here, and I ended up taking an afternoon nap. Son and DIL had been out shopping, and they got home right before I woke up. I went to the kitchen to fix myself a hot drink, and there on the counter was a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced rum. I don't think son would mind if we spiked our drinks a little, Elyse. You up for a nip??? ;)

RICHARD
12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
It's a crappy and damp and chilly day here, and I ended up taking an afternoon nap. Son and DIL had been out shopping, and they got home right before I woke up. I went to the kitchen to fix myself a hot drink, and there on the counter was a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced rum. I don't think son would mind if we spiked our drinks a little, Elyse. You up for a nip??? ;)

I'm in.......I have been away too long here and think it's time to fire up the hearth.

I am also putting up stockings for everyone.

Done!:)

----------------

Cinna-man buns used to be my stage name.....

momoffuzzyfaces
12-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm in.......I have been away too long here and think it's time to fire up the hearth.

I am also putting up stockings for everyone.

Done!:)

----------------

Cinna-man buns used to be my stage name.....

WOW!!! Look at the size of Orc's stocking!!! Santa will have a hard time filling that one!!! I bet an entire reindeer will fit in it. :D

It's cold and gloomy here today. How about a refill on the hot chocolate with extra mallow? :love:

Pinot's Mom
12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Ravens lost, weather's damp (but not chilly), I need a drink. Spike away!

How about some beer bread with dip? It's really good.

smokey the elder
12-10-2012, 10:54 AM
4 rainy days in a row. I'll have hot chocolate spiked with peppermint schnapps, please. I've got a copy of Polar Express we can watch, to get us in the mood!:)

pomtzu
12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
A Foggy Day in London Town would be a much more appropriate song than White Christmas for this part of the country right now. I wonder if the sun will shine again any time soon. I'm tired of dreary and damp and drizzly. It's not cold, but the dampness give me a chill.

I'll have a big mug of that hot chocolate to try to warm these old bones! Thanks......:)

Karen
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Would you like cinnamon in it, or marshmallows, or both? I give you one of the X-large mugs, good for warming hands with!

pomtzu
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Would you like cinnamon in it, or marshmallows, or both? I give you one of the X-large mugs, good for warming hands with!

Marshmallows, please. And the x-large size sounds great. Thanks!!! :D

RICHARD
12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Refills, marshmallows, Bailey's and fire for the fireplace!!!!!!

My favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard.....the original....:D

Lady's Human
12-13-2012, 01:15 AM
ANyone want some food?

We're having part I of our maintenance Christmas party tonight, and we all brought enough food to feed a small army.

We'll share!

Lady's Human
12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Speaking of genetics (ref HuskyMom's thread) why is it that I find it impossible to make a small batch of ANYTHING?????

Karen
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Speaking of genetics (ref HuskyMom's thread) why is it that I find it impossible to make a small batch of ANYTHING?????

This relates to the family trait of taking in strays. We were trained as children to do a headcount before setting the table, as we kinda never knew who would end up being there for dinner, or breakfast! That's one reason it was a good thing that when Paul and I were first married, we had housemates who were good eaters, as cooking for just two people was almost inconceivable!