PDA

View Full Version : Guinea pigs??

Tina
12-03-2002, 10:28 AM
I seen the most beautiful black Guinea pig the other day. I thought about getting it but I was afraid. But now I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Is it ok to keep in a tank if so how big should it be?? Any other info would be most helpful also. I've always wanted a Guinea Pig. I just want to find out some stuff before I get one or two.

Thanks
Tina

Tina
12-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Oh,and I'm going to try and find a cage too if I can.

Desert Arabian
12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
I used to have a black Guniea Pig...his name was Klein Hans. He passed away a couple of years ago. Haven't owned one since.
Yesterday, I was at the pet store and they had some Guinea pigs that looked like army tanks. They were huge!!PERSONALLY, I wouldn't get a tank. Ours lived in a LARGE wire rabbit cage. If you are 100% sure about getting a tank... I would get a 30 gallon or bigger, I can't stand to see critters in small cages! **Remember- the best way to make your Guinea Pig sick is to use pine and cedar shavings.** Here is a website on Guinea Pig care: Cavy Companions (http://members.aol.com/cavycompanions/index.html)

Tina
12-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the help!! I was all set to get the Guinea Pig but he/she was already gone:( Oh,well that gives me more time to find another Guinea Pig and find a cage. Maybe I can talk hubby into letting me have one for Christmas;)

jenluckenbach
12-03-2002, 08:13 PM
yes, a 30 gallon tank would be a MINIMUM for 1 guinea pig. But they would prefer to have a cage with ramps to a second level. But they cannot live on a wire floor.

ellensy
12-04-2002, 08:43 PM
here are some more sites....

www.guinealynx.com

www.caviesgalore.com

Tina
12-07-2002, 10:09 AM
Thank you so much for all of your help and for the links:)

HoRsELUvR
12-15-2002, 01:36 PM
well,its too bad the black guinea pig was gone,but maybe you can find another one.my friend had guinea pigs and i think she kept them both in one kinda big cage. i dont remember if it was a tank or not,though.just as long as you have good bedding for the guinea pig and holes to breathe through,it should be ok.