PDA

View Full Version : DOG PARKS

jackiesdaisy1935
01-10-2001, 08:48 PM
I am curious to know how many of you have Dog Parks in your area? San Diego has a Dog Park at the ocean which is open with no fence, we have been in Palm Springs to their Dog Park and they have a large area fenced for big dogs and a small area fence within the big area for small dogs. They have tennis balls to play with, pooper scoopers, and hydrants all through the area. Its great!

ownerof3dogs
01-11-2001, 02:29 PM
we have a dog park. It is set on a big feild/wooded area. it has at leat 10 acres. But it was almost shut down because a dog attacked a small dog and killed it. But luckly enough people fought for it. also in after Oct 1st dogs are aloud on the beach intill April 1st

[This message has been edited by ownerof3dogs (edited January 11, 2001).]

Angels3
01-12-2001, 03:04 AM
Yes, we have numbers of dog parks scattered thro' the suburbs in our city. They're called Leash-free areas because everywhere else dogs are required by law to be on a leash.
One leash-free park in Sydney has its own coffee shop. It's called Cafe Bones & it serves coffee & food for the humans, and special treats for the dogs. They make a special drink for the dogs called a Pupaccino. There's a low bench where the dogs' food is served, and there's lots of tables & chairs for the humans.

Genia
01-12-2001, 06:06 PM
Angels3, that sounds so nice. We have an "area" in my community where dogs can be without leash. Nothing but green grass. That's great for me now because the city is in the process of burying cable ( protection against hurricanes, tornados, etc.) and my back yard is partially torn apart. So, whenever they go out it's always on a leash. I try to take Bandit and Jeffrey to my parents home almost every weekend. They live in the country and have lots of wide open space. It's funny because I believe Jeffrey recognizes the scenery. As soon as we get into the country he practically gnaws at the car window. Freedom and no leash! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Angels3
01-13-2001, 12:30 AM
My 2nd post of this topic. I meant to say that we also have special dog beaches in australia. The one close to our city is at a place called Nudgee. These beaches have none of the restrictions on dogs that all the other beaches have. They serve the same purpose as an off-leash dog park, but also allow the dogs to have all the fun of swimming in the sea & playing in the sand.

LabLover
01-30-2001, 07:44 AM
We don't have a dog park, but mabey we could get one! Jojo and boxerlover and I could mabey get city hall to build one if we get a petition signed! There is plenty of free land and I'm sure a farmer or someone would let us use some land.

wolflady
01-30-2001, 11:55 AM
We have all dog leash free parks up in San Francisco! San Fran is actually a pretty neat place to have a pet, because the city is pretty pet oriented...after all, it's named after St. Francis, the patron saint of animals! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

BoxerLover
01-30-2001, 02:27 PM
Good Idea LabLover! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif Actually, since Lablover, me, and JKRJG24 all live on the same street, we could just make the sand dunes across our street into a dog park!

AdoreMyDogs
01-30-2001, 02:50 PM
BoxerLover and Gang,

Signing a petition (get LOTSA' people to sign, the more the better!) will increase chances of turning a non-dog park into a dog park in a flash! The large park near me, it's about 25-30 acres, not sure, did not allow dogs to run off lead and they had No-Poop signs up all over the place. It was obvious that it was not a dog-friendly place. Some saint decided to get a petition going around and with several hundred, maybe even in the thousand signatures we got it converted into a dog park! It's been a dog park for about 5 years now. We have dog groups there, most of the dogs who attend the dog groups (every Wednesday at around 5:00 and Sunday's starting at 10:00 AM and lasting for up to 3 hours) are regulars, we know all the dogs by name and all the dogs have their favorite friends. Graham's best friend is a young lil Pembroke Corgi named Teddy and Cassie's best friend there is a petite young dalmation named Heidi. And every dog there has a best friend. It's something great to do for them, and it's something I recommend starting in your community. You may even end up being someones hero for starting a dog park in your area!

Also, I am not sure how your city is, but when I go to get their licenses at the town hall they give out a printout list of dog parks when they give you the license in my city. You may have dog parks in your area and not even know about it! Some of the dog parks in my list I had never known were dog parks! One of the parks has a huge lake and several wooded trails! I had no idea it was even there! As soon as I got that list from the town hall I took Graham (this was pre-Cassie) and let him swim to his heart's content! We had been hoping to find a water park in our area that allowed off-lead dogs. We struck gold.

Just something to think about http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif