PDA

View Full Version : favourite Christmas carols/songs/albums?

Nomilynn
12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
I was listening to Christmas music in the car today, and I was trying to figure out what my favourite Christmas music is. I realised I don't really have one favourite!! :D

But I was listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra today, and I also love any Christmas stuff by Manheim Steamroller. For albums, I like Alabama, Dolly and Kenny, Garth Brooks, the Statler Bros, Oak Ridge Boys, and Larry Gaitlin bros. I grew up with country Christmas music so it's my fave. I also really love the Neil Diamond Christmas album (the first one, not the second one so much). I am very much a traditionalist - I don't like the new pop Christmas songs about relationships gone sour on Christmas eve and all that stuff!

My favourite carol is "O Holy Night" :D

So what are your faves? :D

All Creatures Great And Small
12-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Hmmmm.... the older stuff, like the 40's and 50's swing-type Christmas songs - Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc. And I LOVE silly Christmas parody songs. I also don't care too much for the newer pop or hip-hop type Christmas songs. (But I'm an old broad anyway...;) :p )

Soledad
12-02-2002, 09:33 PM
I like that one really ethereal one that a lot of Catholic choirs do. I don't remember the name, but it's the song on Home Alone where Macauly Culkin is sitting in the church and then starts running out.

It's like...dum dee dee dum, dum dee dee dum....DING DONG, DING, DONG.

Hehe...have fun guessing what the heck I'm talking about.

Nomilynn
12-02-2002, 09:34 PM
That's Carol of the Bells :)

And I didn't get the Home Alone reference.. your dum dee dums were very expressive :D

Soledad
12-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Wow, you're good...

:)

Nomilynn
12-02-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm actually a bit of a Christmas nut :) In high school we had a Christmas trivia game, and my friends and I entered. We called ourselves the snowflakes (how original :p.. we didnt' know we needed a "team" name until the last minute!!). Anyway, before the game we all came over to my house and studied through my family's extensive collection of Christmas books. And we won!! It was great fun :)

wolf_Q
12-03-2002, 12:31 AM
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by U2! Duh hehehee

I really like that song with Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah Mclaughlan (ok no clue how to spell that...)

Some of my mom's albums that we listen to are Manheim Steamroller (I do enjoy that), Disney and we also have some really corny ones like The Osmonds, Johnny Mathis, Kenny Rogers, etc. bleh

I guess some of my other favorite songs are O Holy Night, Silent Night, and ummm...some others that I don't know what they are called...I like a lot of the Christmas songs better in german, lol. We used to sing them in my german class.

neko1
12-03-2002, 05:49 AM
Ok everyone I know completely hates this cd- but my fav is the Jingle Cats!!!

jenluckenbach
12-03-2002, 05:59 AM
I can listen to the music from the ballet the Nutcracker FOREVER !!!!!!
I also like the Carol of the Bells (especially when it is done with the bells)

mugsy
12-03-2002, 06:52 AM
Oh Holy Night and What Child is This are my 2 favorites.

iceyshiver21
12-03-2002, 12:13 PM
I like that one really ethereal one that a lot of Catholic choirs do. I don't remember the name, but it's the song on Home Alone where Macauly Culkin is sitting in the church and then starts running out.
I got it at the ding dong ding dong part. Me and amanda laugh so hard at that part and the worst thing is we don't know why,I love that song
WAIT HERES THE LYRICS!!!!!!!
Hark how the bells,
sweet silver bells,
all seem to say,
throw cares away

Christmas is here,
bringing good cheer,
to young and old,
meek and the bold,

Ding dong ding dong
That is their song
With joyful ring
All caroling

One seems to hear
Words of good cheer
From ev'ry where
Filling the air

Oh how they pound,
raising the sound,
o'er hill and dale,
telling their tale,

Gaily they ring
while people sing
songs of good cheer,
Christmas is here,

Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas,
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas,
On on they send ,
on without end,
their joyful tone to every home
Dong Ding dong ding, dong Bong
I also like Santa Baby, in that kinda betty boop voice

TheAntiPam
12-03-2002, 12:36 PM
My favorite Christmas albums are both with John Denver - one is his Rocky Mountain Christmas and the other is the Muppet Christmas. I'm not a John Denver nut, but I still find it hard to believe he's gone... *sigh*

I like Mannheim Steamroller too - I saw them in concert once - terrific! Now, where are those Christmas CD's????:rolleyes:

Logan
12-03-2002, 12:59 PM
I simply love them all.........really. Celine Dion's Christmas CD is wonderful (especially love "The Prayer" with Andrea Bocelli), and I also love my Kenny Loggins Christmas CD. We have two local radio stations that are all Christmas music right now and I enjoy listening constantly. I love the old traditional Christmas hymns, the old classics like Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Andy Williams (are any of you old enough to remember his Christmas specials on tv every year.....we loved them), plus Martina McBride's Christmas cd is wonderful too. And Amy Grant has two great Christmas cds! See?? I told you I love them all!!! :o When Helen was three years old, she knew how to go straight to song #7 on the Amy Grant CD (her first Christmas cd) and play Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, over and over. I think we would start playing it in July!! LOL!!! :)

Chinadoll
12-03-2002, 01:21 PM
My favorite Christmas song is Santa Baby sung by Eartha Kitt
Here are the lyrics:
Santa baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me
I've been an awful good girl
Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Santa baby, an 54 convertible too, light blue
I'll wait up for you dear Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Think of all the fun I've missed
Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed
Next year I could be oh so good
If you'd check off my Christmas list
Boo doo bee doo
Santa honey, I wanna yacht and really that's
Not a lot
I've been an angel all year
Santa cutie, there's one thing I really do need, the deed
To a platinum mine
Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight
Santa baby, I'm filling my stocking with a duplex, and checks
Sign your 'X' on the line
Come and trim my Christmas tree
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's
I really do believe in you
Let's see if you believe in me
Boo doo bee doo
Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing, a ring
I don't mean a phone
Hurry down the chimney tonight
Hurry down the chimney tonight

I think the song is hysterical. I also love Christmas/holiday parodies(Adam Sandler comes to mind)...but nothing beats a really good choir singing traditional Christmas carols without any instruments. It just sounds so beautiful.

edited because I had to change some of the lyrics because I just copied and pasted off a website and realized they got parts of the lyrics wrong

iceyshiver21
12-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Thats the one thats the one!!! right up there yes yes thats the one!!
http://C:\Documents and Settings\06kgoslar\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Catalog\artgal50.mmc

Chinadoll
12-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Thats the one thats the one!!! right up there yes yes thats the one!!

lol Isn't it great?! I have to play it while I'm decorating the Christmas tree. It wouldn't be Christmas unless I played that song.

Dakota's Mommy
12-03-2002, 03:04 PM
I guess I never thought about what my favorite was. However, last year I remembered that when I was a kid, I had a Seseame Street Christmas tape that I loved as a kid, felt I grew out of, and now that I want to find it again, I have no idea where it's at. I probably though it away in those crazy high school years when that kind of thing is out, but I wish I could find it because it was a funny tape!

Last year, when I asked Amy about it though, she showed me a few of the Christmas albums that she has and we made me a copy of the Looney Tunes Christmas CD, LOL. :D :D

Dixieland Dancer
12-03-2002, 03:27 PM
I'm like Logan... I love em all! I like the old traditional versions and yes I remember the specials on TV with Andy Williams. What a wonderful voice he has. And Bing Crosby and White Christmas! My favorite song though is Mary's Song also known as Breath of Heaven, which can be found on Amy Grant's Home for Christmas CD. It gives a perspective from Mary's view about why God chose her to carry his son. In church last year I sang this song as a solo on Christmas Eve and dressed like Mary probably would of been dressed so many years ago. It was very moving!

Christmas is a magical time of year and I love everything about it especially the Christmas carols. We start early playing them so we can get the full benifit of these rich and meaningful songs. We also have sheet music of most of the more traditional songs and practice playing them so we can have sing alongs around the piano on Christmas eve!

Logan
12-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
I'm like Logan... I love em all! I like the old traditional versions and yes I remember the specials on TV with Andy Williams. What a wonderful voice he has. And Bing Crosby and White Christmas! My favorite song though is Mary's Song also known as Breath of Heaven, which can be found on Amy Grant's Home for Christmas CD. It gives a perspective from Mary's view about why God chose her to carry his son. In church last year I sang this song as a solo on Christmas Eve and dressed like Mary probably would of been dressed so many years ago. It was very moving!

Christmas is a magical time of year and I love everything about it especially the Christmas carols. We start early playing them so we can get the full benifit of these rich and meaningful songs. We also have sheet music of most of the more traditional songs and practice playing them so we can have sing alongs around the piano on Christmas eve!

Oh yes, Candy!!! Helen and I were fortunate enough to take in Amy Grant's Christmas concert two years ago. And when she sang that song, which we had listened to, over and over on the cd, we both had tears. It was very, very moving.

Logan

catland
12-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Bruce Springsteins - "Santa Claus is coming to town"
The Chipmunks Christmas song.

and many of the older, traditional songs, Silent night, What Child is this, Do you hear what I hear?,I'll be home for Christmas...

gee, its hard to pick a favorite.

momoffuzzyfaces
12-03-2002, 04:01 PM
:D I found a new favorite last year. It's called 'Warm and Fuzzy' by Billy Gilman. I love it.

I like almost all the songs especially the more traditional ones. There are two that drive me absolutly nuts. I cover my ears when I hear them. One is the 12 days of Christmas and the other is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. That song always makes me feel like someone just shot my dog!

I love Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear? and I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, and Silver Bells, and....

Well you get the idea.
:D

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Al ot of good CD's and songs already mentioned so I'll try to add some new ones...

My favorite Chritmas CD is Chritmas Even on Sesame Street...esp. Osacar's I hate Christmas! Then probally Garth Brooks The magic of Christmas

Others:
Kathy Troccoli A Sentimental Christmas
Yule b'Swining (Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin etc) and
Blue Yule (George Throughgood, John lee Hooker etc)

Chinadoll
12-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by catland
Bruce Springsteins - "Santa Claus is coming to town" <snip>

oooh you are so right. I forgot about that one. This thread inspired me to make a CD for Christmas of all my favorite Christmas songs...I'll add that one to the list. I also forgot...I love to hear a choir sing Carol of Bells.

Karen
12-03-2002, 06:05 PM
I have sung "Carol of the Bells" so many times I can do it by heart. That said, the sopranos have SO MANY words to sing that it's nearly impossible to stop and breathe!

But a couple years ago we did it in my handbell choir - that was cool!

I love almost all Christmas music, I go to a Messiah sing every year with my family, I sing carols in my head much of the year ...

Because I love snow, I love

"In the Bleak Midwinter"

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

It's got a lovely, hushed tune, and though I know it probably was NOT snowing in Bethlehem, I love it still!

Lillycat
12-03-2002, 06:42 PM
mannheim steamroller......yes!!!!! great christmas music

Cookiebaker
12-03-2002, 06:49 PM
For the country music lovers out there, maybe you will recognize this. On my way to work this morning they played a song about a little boy and shoes. It was really touching, though I have no clue who sings it or what. It is a gentle reminder as to what the Christmas season is all about.

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
For the country music lovers out there, maybe you will recognize this. On my way to work this morning they played a song about a little boy and shoes. It was really touching, though I have no clue who sings it or what. It is a gentle reminder as to what the Christmas season is all about.

That song is a tear jerker!! I don't know who it is by, but it is called "Christmas Shoes". It is also a book and a made for TV movie

mugsy
12-03-2002, 09:12 PM
I forgot one...O Come O Come Emmanuel

Aspen and Misty
12-03-2002, 09:30 PM
My fav christmas song is Noche Sagrada.Its O Holy night in Spanish but it is sooo much prettier in Spanish, you would be suprised what a language will do to a song. I mean not that its not pretty in English but it is just the most prettiest song you have ever heard in Spanish.

Ash

Nomilynn
12-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Another really great song is "Santa Please" by Bill Medley. I LOOOVE that song!!! :)