PDA

View Full Version : Holistic pet care

Uabassoon
12-02-2002, 04:43 PM
I've noticed that a lot of the people I sit for use holistic medicines and supplements on their pets. I was wondering if anyone else did that or if it was just an Arizona thing. Holistic medicine is very popular here in Arizona for both pets and people. Here in Tucson there are two Holistic care pet stores that sell supplements and food. I stopped by one today and picked up a holistic vitamin supplement for Corkscrew since he had that coronavirus a while back I still worry about him. There are even vets that practice holistic as well as traditional medicine. My friend took his cat in to get accupuncture. Anyone else practice holistic medicine on their pets?

BastetsMum
12-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I go to a registered veterinary naturopath because some herbs and vitamins can be extremely toxic to our pets! I always ask for alternative therapies to the ones that are commonly offered at my vet but I would never go and *experiment* on bastet AT ALL!

Other than that catnip is the only holistic therapy she gets. As for me living with an abby .... :D :D :D

Lillycat
12-03-2002, 07:05 PM
indra, nevvie and baby washy looove your holistic "catnip therapy!!! ;)

RICHARD
12-03-2002, 07:09 PM
i took eddie to the groomers and the kid who gave him his first
trim remembered the experience.....he said eddie went 'freakazoid' when the clippers were turned on.......
(not the thing that a proud parent wants to hear!) altho he was bathed, he still had bit of a problem being at the groomers.

the kid suggested that i bring him in more often and also suggested giving him some Kava root or something of the sort, to calm him down (i guess tequila and Quaaludes are out of the question....just kidding!).

I can't see w/o my glasses but saw the word 'kava' on the bottle.
has anyone had any experience or knows about how this works on cats?

Thanks!

Uabassoon
12-03-2002, 08:17 PM
It's called Kava Kava, I've never used it before, but I know some of my clients use it. It seems to work well, it's like a person drinking a cup of chammamile (sp?) to calm down or relax. It works in the same way. A lot of people have said that kava kava also can help with behavior problems in dogs such as excessive barking, anxiety and stress. It's safe for both cats and dogs, but if you are nervous about giving to him you should talk to your vet.