PDA

View Full Version : Life without Twinkies?

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 01:54 PM
What are we to do??? Hostess is going out of business!!! How do we live without Twinkies, Wonder Bread, Devil Dogs, Snowballs??? No more Snowballs????? :confused::eek: - I love those things! I've eaten the generic brands of them, but somehow, they are just not quite the same. Such sad news....:mad::rolleyes:

caseysmom
11-16-2012, 02:10 PM
What are we to do??? Hostess is going out of business!!! How do we live without Twinkies, Wonder Bread, Devil Dogs, Snowballs??? No more Snowballs????? :confused::eek: - I love those things! I've eaten the generic brands of them, but somehow, they are just not quite the same. Such sad news....:mad::rolleyes:

Can't remember the last time I had any of those yuck!

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Can't remember the last time I had any of those yuck!

:eek::eek: I was never a really big fan of Twinkies - but Snowballs and Devil Dogs was another story. Maybe it was a chocolate thing with me. I love chocolate cake, but can do just fine without chocolate candy. I know - I'm weird........:p

caseysmom
11-16-2012, 02:30 PM
:eek::eek: I was never a really big fan of Twinkies - but Snowballs and Devil Dogs was another story. Maybe it was a chocolate thing with me. I love chocolate cake, but can do just fine without chocolate candy. I know - I'm weird........:p

Well I am not judging you are skinny and I am not thats just not my poison:)

Karen
11-16-2012, 02:38 PM
I am sure some other company will pick up the patent ...

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh goodness - I forgot Ring Dings - another chocolaty favorite.
I wasn't always skinny - yet I ate these forbidden treats anyway. I've been hooked on them since I was a teen! And yes - Hostess really did make them way back in ancient times when I was still a kid.

Seriously tho - now 18,500 people are out of work - and that is sad.

caseysmom
11-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh goodness - I forgot Ring Dings - another chocolaty favorite.
I wasn't always skinny - yet I ate these forbidden treats anyway. I've been hooked on them since I was a teen! And yes - Hostess really did make them way back in ancient times when I was still a kid.

Seriously tho - now 18,500 people are out of work - and that is sad.

Yes it is quite a few in my area...

happylabs
11-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Oh no! Who makes Funny Bones? :eek: Hope it isn't them. Gotta check. Okay Drakes makes them. Whew!

Remember how Archie Bunker loved Twinkies?

I admit I do partake of these type things on occasion. There are times when I just barely make it through the work week and head to the A+ Sunoco for junk food.

We will have to find you a replacement for the Twinkies :)

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh no! Who makes Funny Bones? :eek: Hope it isn't them. Gotta check. Okay Drakes makes them. Whew!

Not so fast, Ms Funny Bones. Drake's is owned by Hostess! :p I wonder if they will shut down too? :eek:

lvpets2002
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
:) I Loves Zingers Was Always My Favorite.. Special Of The Raspberry.. Hey They Had A Recipe On FB Yesterday Of How To Make Everything.. Its Pretty Simple..

cassiesmom
11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I am sure some other company will pick up the patent ...

I hope so. One of the Chicago area bakeries is about a 10-minute drive from my house. And without Hostess treats, we can't have this...

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/15259/17_2007/twinkies3.jpg

kaycountrygal
11-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh My! I rarely eat any of those little cakes anymore but I used to eat them alot. It's hard to choose my fav, probably Snowball or Twinkies. I'm diabetic and really shouldnt ever eat them again but they sure did taste good to me. I bought some Twinkies at a bread outlet a month or so ago when clerk said Twinkies etc was closing... thought I'd have some for old times sake... sad for everyone involved. I hope some company takes over and makes all of them again.

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I hope so. One of the Chicago area bakeries is about a 10-minute drive from my house. And without Hostess treats, we can't have this...

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/15259/17_2007/twinkies3.jpg

WOW!!! Snowballs, Ring Dings and Devil Dogs. I would be in heaven with that trio all rolled into one masterpiece!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-16-2012, 05:04 PM
When I was little my dad worked for a construction co and took his lunch. He had snowballs for his dessert and always saved me one. Another childhood icon bites the dust. Maybe Lil Debbie will buy the recipe. :love:

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Hostess products for me go in the same category as peanut butter and jelly. I have never eaten any - not a Twinkie or a Snowball. (That is not to say there are not lots of other sweet and disgusting things I've eaten!) It is about the texture.

Hostess has been losing market share (and money) as healthy eating has become more of an emphasis. It is hard to make the case for a healthy Twinkie.;)

MOFF - the story of your dad brings a tear to my eye...such a sweet memory!

pomtzu
11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Hostess products for me go in the same category as peanut butter and jelly. I have never eaten any - not a Twinkie or a Snowball. (That is not to say there are not lots of other sweet and disgusting things I've eaten!) It is about the texture.

Goodness - you don't know what you're missing. Like how that gummy, rubbery marshmallow coating on the Snowball just sticks to the roof of your mouth.....:p And for some reason, the pink ones were always so much more appealing than the white ones! :eek::rolleyes: Go figure...........

RICHARD
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Grab an angel food cake baked in a bundt pan.

Grab some cool whip and add a little vanilla then stuff the middle of that bad mother.

----------------------

The best parts of a Sno-Ball?

Peeling the top off, eating it separately - then scraping the cardboard for the extra cake and frosting.

--------------

Ho-hos and a cold glass of milk.......

---------------

Pink or White?

mrspunkysmom
11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
might be healthier! Richard has the best idea. At least you can control the ingredients. You should watch the show about what's actually in a twinkie.

Sorry for the people losing their job.

Grab an angel food cake baked in a bundt pan.

Grab some cool whip and add a little vanilla then stuff the middle of that bad mother.

----------------------

The best parts of a Sno-Ball?

Peeling the top off, eating it separately - then scraping the cardboard for the extra cake and frosting.

--------------

Ho-hos and a cold glass of milk.......

---------------

Pink or White?

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
...that gummy, rubbery marshmallow coating on the Snowball just sticks to the roof of your mouth.....:p ........

Just as I suspected! Yuke! ;-)

kaycountrygal
11-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Oh My Goodness! I reallllly reallllly want a Hostess SnoBall now that I've read all the posts. Pom, the pink ones were my fav also; I dont even remember the white ones. I found some pics LOL.

Freedom
11-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I have not eaten any of them in . . . must be over 30 years.

Pinot's Mom
11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, the writing was on the wall. Given the fragile state, and the fact the company informed the employees the company could not withstand what they were demanding (or the legal battle it would entail), someone needed to take a step back.

Believe me, more than you know, I understand the frustrated position of the employees. I do not remember my last raise, even given several changes to my position. Our company has had salary reductions, having them reinstated, but not in a long time increases.

If a company is borderline it is not the time for a strike. These companies CAN NOT afford a shut down. Employees will lose all, as is the case with Hostess.

Steve Arnold
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
It's unfortunate all the way around; bad for the employees mostly. One of the plants is only an hour from here. Personally, though, I hate Twinkies and Wonder Bread. The first thing I thought of, though, when I heard the news, is that fact that Twinkies are a prop in the play Best Christmas Pageant Ever, which I have directed twice - LeRoy Herdman steals two Twinkies from Charlie and eats them onstage. It's a pretty iconic product to make it by name into a popular children's book and play. The last time I directed the play I even put a loaf of Wonder Bread on stage in Mrs. Bradley's grocery bag. Alas.

RICHARD
11-16-2012, 09:48 PM
might be healthier! Richard has the best idea. At least you can control the ingredients. You should watch the show about what's actually in a twinkie.

Sorry for the people losing their job.

Dribble some Hershey's on it.;)

----------

There was something evil about the cake inside of Sno-Balls and the cup cakes. I think they had put heroin or some other addictive ingredient in them.

pomtzu
11-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Oh My Goodness! I reallllly reallllly want a Hostess SnoBall now that I've read all the posts. Pom, the pink ones were my fav also; I dont even remember the white ones. I found some pics LOL.

When I used to buy them in my younger days, they came packaged 2 per pack - one white and one pink. I always ate the white one first, and saved the best (pink) for last. :)

And the ingredients I saw listed on t.v. last night, truly are disgusting. But the ingredients in most other foods we've eaten - and still eat - are pretty disgusting too!

They came in other colors thruout the year - depending on the holiday being celebrated too. I've seen them in purple and green, tho I have to admit the green did look rather nauseating.

RICHARD
11-17-2012, 08:46 AM
When I used to buy them in my younger days, they came packaged 2 per pack - one white and one pink. I always ate the white one first, and saved the best (pink) for last. :)

And the ingredients I saw listed on t.v. last night, truly are disgusting. But the ingredients in most other foods we've eaten - and still eat - are pretty disgusting too!

They came in other colors thruout the year - depending on the holiday being celebrated too. I've seen them in purple and green, tho I have to admit the green did look rather nauseating.

School/learning is what ruined any kind of snack cakes for me.

Supermegareddye#5hydrolyzedcoconutoilmonosodiumglu tamate will eventually kill you.

But, it sure is a tasty way to die?

---------------------

Dad: "I wish I had a Twinkie......"

Son: "Isn't twinkie a slur?"

Dad: "At one time America was great, we made the best %#*%@! snack cakes on the planet......"

Freedom
11-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Goodness Gracious! I just saw a posting on the RI Craigslist, for one 10 count package of Twinkies, for $29!!!! :eek:

pomtzu
11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Goodness Gracious! I just saw a posting on the RI Craigslist, for one 10 count package of Twinkies, for $29!!!! :eek:

That's a bargain. :p I saw on t.v. last night, that they are going for hundreds of $$$ on eBay. And I don't doubt that there will be idiots that will buy them...........:rolleyes:

Pinot's Mom
11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
That's a bargain. :p I saw on t.v. last night, that they are going for hundreds of $$$ on eBay. And I don't doubt that there will be idiots that will buy them...........:rolleyes:

They're TWINKIES people - REALLY?? You can also probably make them if you're going to go into withdrawal. ;)

maid25cats
11-17-2012, 02:34 PM
OMG
I saw them on CLNJ last night for $20 made me laugh
I just saw Pomptzu post and had to check ebay myself.
that is CRAZY what they are bidding for them :eek:
I dont like any of those because I dont like cream filling
I dont like oreo cookies either because of the cream filling

But I LOVE Funny Bones BIG Peanut Butter fan :D
once people realize Drakes is owned by Hostess
they will be on ebay too :rolleyes:

pomtzu
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM
OMG
I saw them on CLNJ last night for $20 made me laugh
I just saw Pomptzu post and had to check ebay myself.
that is CRAZY what they are bidding for them :eek:

These crazies that will buy them, probably think they will make a killing on them in the long run. Buy them, freeze them, hold on to them for a while till there are no more to be had anywhere, and then sell the individual packs at a huge profit. Hmmmm - I think they will end up getting stuck "holding their Twinkie(s)"! :eek::D Will serve them right.......:p

happylabs
11-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Not so fast, Ms Funny Bones. Drake's is owned by Hostess! :p I wonder if they will shut down too? :eek:

Oh dear. I should have researched this better.

Well, I make a pretty darn good Hershey's cocoa cake from scratch with peanut butter icing. :p

carole
11-17-2012, 07:58 PM
aww the kiwis will be so disappointed, we have only just been getting all the american candy, including snowballs, twinkies, etc from a store here called united sweets, we get the full range including reeses etc, cannot say i have tried any,but i know my daughters boyfriend just loves those twinkies.

krazyaboutkatz
11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I won't miss any of these sweets because I never ate any of them before.:) I love sweets but I just never ate any hostess sweets. I'm sure that there are plenty of things out there to help fill the void for all of the people with a sweet tooth.

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Don't know if I can live without Snoballs, especially the holiday colored ones.:( I have a box of globalls, they're orange for Halloween. The rest I could live without.;)

Kirsten
11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I read about this on Facebook, what the H*** are Twinkies?? lol :D

Must be something incredibly delicious when everyone's so upset about this! ;)

pomtzu
11-18-2012, 09:35 AM

You're not really missing anything Kirsten. And "incredibly delicious"??? - that's a matter of opinion. :p I was never crazy about them - Snoballs with the marshmallow coating were much more to my liking - and they were CHOCOLATE too!

Twinkies are a sponge cake with a cream-like filling - really too sickening sweet for my taste.

Kirsten
11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
You're not really missing anything Kirsten. And "incredibly delicious"??? - that's a matter of opinion. :p I was never crazy about them - Snoballs with the marshmallow coating were much more to my liking - and they were CHOCOLATE too!

Twinkies are a sponge cake with a cream-like filling - really too sickening sweet for my taste.

Interesting. We don't have anything like that over here. :)

But probably too sweet for me anyway. And not vegan, of course. ;)

luvofallhorses
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I hate twinkies.. they are gross. But I love the sno-balls!

chocolatepuppy
11-19-2012, 05:10 AM
I hate twinkies.. they are gross. But I love the sno-balls!

I ate my last globall last night.:( I wonder if there's any left in the store?

Alysser
11-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Is is sad that I've never eaten a Twinkie before? I've had some Hostess snacks, but never a twinkie.:p

pomtzu
11-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Hostess goes Mexican????

Seriously - I heard on the news this a.m. that a Mexican company is buying Hostess out - or is considering it anyway.

Does this mean that chopped jalapenos will be mixed in with the creme filling in Twinkies, or perhaps Snoballs will be sprinkled with chili powder rather than coconut??? :confused::rolleyes::p

Oh my!!!!!..............:D

momcat
11-19-2012, 07:55 AM
I've been following this on the news, it's sad to see Hostess go after growing up with them. We knew Wonder bread by the red, yellow and blue balloons on the wrapper, I loved the Snoballs, chocolate cream filled cupcakes, and the orange cupcakes when I could find them. And no more Devil Dogs? I can remember when the Snowballs and cupcakes went for a dime and Devil Dogs cost a nickel.

smokey the elder
11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I used to love that stuff as a kid. Then I became a chemist...:p:D

RICHARD
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
With one dollar - made up of bottles we redeemed - we could by a 35 cent ham submarine, RC Cola and a package of Sno-Balls.

There was music that was the soundtrack of our youth, but Hostess Sno-Balls were the treats to grow up on.

You spent a good while sucking the coconut outta your teeth after a package.

Yummy!

RICHARD
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I've been following this on the news, it's sad to see Hostess go after growing up with them. We knew Wonder bread by the red, yellow and blue balloons on the wrapper, I loved the Snoballs, chocolate cream filled cupcakes, and the orange cupcakes when I could find them. And no more Devil Dogs? I can remember when the Snowballs and cupcakes went for a dime and Devil Dogs cost a nickel.

We didn't have Devil Dogs in California and if we saw one?

It was neutered....;):eek::D

RICHARD
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Who created this mess
the end of our beloved Hostess?
Twinkies are gone
To the delight of some moms
And the end of all of the rest...

Devil Dogs euthanized
Sno-balls excised
from the planet for good?
It doesn't help out my mood!
Ho-Ho's disappear from the streets
Never to seduce us with their sweet
Call to seduction
With the reduction
Of the chocolate treats......

The news has done said
That twinkies will made
Not send to limbo
Should they be made by Bimbo
And from out hearts they will not fade.......

(bad rhymes, but i was inspired....)

Kirsten
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Obviously, there's still hope for those who love them: ;)

Twinkies May Not Die: Hostess, Union Trying To Resolve Issues (http://www.local12.com/News/Local/story/Twinkies-May-Not-Die-Hostess-Union-Trying-To/d9awgdstSkGSmqOfbEkeLQ.cspx#.UKqjiZORKag.twitter)

RICHARD
11-19-2012, 05:20 PM
If it's true, will Twinkies die?
But what about the Hostess pies?
The fruit stuffed pastries, flaky dough
Made of ingredients we don't know!
The icing sweet, why does it linger?
and the crumbs all on my fingers.
the filling sweet, so gooey too
Just one bite, elevates my mood
If they disappear I'll really scream
And then drown my sorrow with Krispy Kremes.......

pomtzu
11-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Take the yuckie Twinkies, but PLEASE - not the cherry pies!! :mad:

RICHARD
11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Could this be a real swan song
For my chocolatey sweet round Ding Dongs?
Iced sweet puck of Devil's food
If they go, will I brood?
Cry a river, drown in sorrow
We'll have to wait until tomorrow....
The judge will try to mediate
Will his work be too late?
I pray for reprieve please don't take
My all-time favorite chocolate cake......

chocolatepuppy
11-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Is is sad that I've never eaten a Twinkie before? I've had some Hostess snacks, but never a twinkie.:p
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hostess goes Mexican????

Seriously - I heard on the news this a.m. that a Mexican company is buying Hostess out - or is considering it anyway.

Does this mean that chopped jalapenos will be mixed in with the creme filling in Twinkies, or perhaps Snoballs will be sprinkled with chili powder rather than coconut??? :confused::rolleyes::p

Oh my!!!!!..............:D

Oh no, I don't like spicy food! Spicy snoballs?:confused:

momcat
11-20-2012, 07:32 AM
According to today's news, the Bankruptcy court judge has ordered both side to go to mediation and try to work things out. Not sure but I think it's scheduled for Tuesday with another court hearing set for Wednesday. Store owners are saying that Twinkies are literally flying off the shelves.

Lady's Human
11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
After poking around for details on this whole mess, I found some info that hasn't been widely reported in the media.

The reasons for the strike and refusal to go back to the table stems from Hostess (which is under control of a corp. raider venture capitalist) negotiating severe wage cuts a few years ago (48K to 35K for a senior baker) and benefit cuts. THey agreed to it at the time because they were promised no more cuts would be made.

Now, after the corp scavengers have been doing nothing for new product development or marketing for a few years (read....making no attempt to modernize or actually spend money on the corp to make it viable......because in reality all they want to do is sell the IP rights and real estate and take the money and run) they went back to the table to demand more cuts ($35K to $25K for the baker in question) and more cuts in benefits.

I think I'd strike as well, because while $35K might be livable (barely) for someone who's made 40-50K for years, $25K is a slap in the face and a severe cut in wages.

smokey the elder
11-20-2012, 09:50 AM
And meanwhile the CEO "voted" himself a giant raise (at least that's what I heard.)

Bonny
11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
There is always the Little Debbie Nutty Bars that can appease the chocolate lovers cravings. Although the rest of Little Debbie's sweets are kind of ugh.

Lady's Human
11-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Little Debbies just don't cut it, too much of their stuff is the consistency of school paste. Their brownies are TERRIBLE!

Bonny
11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Little Debbies just don't cut it, too much of their stuff is the consistency of school paste. Their brownies are TERRIBLE!

Have you tried the Little Debbies Nutty Bars? They are right up there with Hostess Twinkies & Cupcakes only with the peanut butter in the center instead of the creamy marsh mellow center. Either way they give a person a boost of energy to complete your day & taste good too. :D

RICHARD
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Little Debbies, for those with taste
Come off as thick as school paste.
She doesn't come off with the mostest
Like the our pal, the old Hostess.
But when it comes to really sweet
Little Debbie can't be beat..
Well you can, if you choose!
Would that be 'snack abuse'?
But if Hostess goes, How I will long
to keep a hold of my Ding-dong?

moosmom
11-20-2012, 12:08 PM
DAMN RICHARD!!! You should've gone to work for Hallmark!!

Cataholic
11-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Golly- what some of you eat! If I am going to go crazy- it has to be decent quality crap that I am eating. LOL. I haven't had any of those products since my high school years. They just aren't that tasty.

As to the closing of the plants- it is sad. But, businesses have the right to make money. Even lots of money. There are so many people out there that haven't had a raise in years (I don't think I had had a raise in 7 years...), and were required to pay more for their 'entitlements' each year, all the while coverages were less. Unions were great- a long time ago. They have outlived their usefulness, IMO.

Bonny
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Little Debbies, for those with taste
Come off as thick as school paste.
She doesn't come off with the mostest
Like the our pal, the old Hostess.
But when it comes to really sweet
Little Debbie can't be beat..
Well you can, if you choose!
Would that be 'snack abuse'?
But if Hostess goes, How I will long
to keep a hold of my Ding-dong?

ROFL! Richard your poetry sure beats the crap out of what we had to read & figure out in school.

It is to the point & makes sense. :D

You should be working for Hostess in their advertising department.

Catty1
11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Rumour has it that a Mexican company is looking at buying Hostess, or parts of it.

Twinkie Tamale?

Lady's Human
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Golly- what some of you eat! If I am going to go crazy- it has to be decent quality crap that I am eating. LOL. I haven't had any of those products since my high school years. They just aren't that tasty.

As to the closing of the plants- it is sad. But, businesses have the right to make money. Even lots of money. There are so many people out there that haven't had a raise in years (I don't think I had had a raise in 7 years...), and were required to pay more for their 'entitlements' each year, all the while coverages were less. Unions were great- a long time ago. They have outlived their usefulness, IMO.

I think it might be time for you to take a business ethics course......

Yes, they have a right to make money. However, the employees also have rights, and along with rights go responsibilities.

The Westboro Baptists are operating within their rights......doesn't change the fact that their actions are completely reprehensible.

In addition, I'd hardly call a negotiated benefits package an entitlement. Nice attempt to compare a hard earned benefit with welfare. I'd get into why Unions are still needed in the workplace in detail, but I'll simply leave it at this:

I don't write or deal with petty grievances. Nor do most of the stewards I deal with. Yet we somehow still manage to deal with very real issues on a routine basis. Safety, workplace climate issues, and others, as well as run of the mill contractual issues.

They are very much needed, and I think American businesses are going to be in for a rude awakening over the next few years, starting with Wal Mart Thursday night.

Even Henry Ford realized that he had to compensate his workers well and treat them fairly.

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM

In addition to the $1 mil+++ the CEO is getting...

Hostess Brands is looking to give their managers a bonus of up to 75 percent of their annual pay so they will stay on and help close down the company, but the U.S. Trustee, an agent of the U.S. Department of Justice, said the plan for bonuses was improper.

Cat - as for unions outliving their usefulness...I hear that thrown around all the time. I have spent a good part of my career helping companies avoid unions. Doing things the right way so people don't want or need a union. But I will tell you - some companies deserve unions. Companies get unions because they do not treat their employees equitably. They play favorites. It is not money that drives people to unions (sure the union promises them more money) it is - I avoid the word "fair" but it is about management and how people are treated. I have been in a number of campaings to keep unions out and every time it is the same thing.

Just recently I had situations with two clients. Both involved employees at different levels. In both situations one employee was a friend of the boss. The other employee in both situations was a low level "worker bee." Same behavior - different consequences. The "boss friends" got a pass on behavior that got the worker bees fired. I had to push very hard on both clients for there to be ANY consequences for the boss friends.

There is still a need for a level playing field. Of course companies should make lots and lots of profits. That is not the issue. It is possible to do both - make lots of money AND treat your employees right.

RICHARD
11-20-2012, 06:48 PM
how many ding dong wrappers would it take to make a suitable foil hat?

Cataholic
11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I am sure some companies deserve unions. But what a commentary that phrase is. Companies "deserve" unions. Because unions punish the hello out of companies. Some employees deserve to sit in the umeployment line, too. And, but for the safety net their union provides them, they would be like many of us- toiling, striving to do more with less, and not whining because "boss man" asked them to do something outside their typical job description. Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.

Asiel
11-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Ha ha-- I guess I'm with you on this one Kirsten-- I've never eaten any of those things either...don't think we even had them around here. I think we had Hostess potato chips, something I haven't eaten in yrs.
I sure wouldn't be writing cheques for those crazy amounts that people are asking... unless they were made of gold :D:D

Lady's Human
11-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I am sure some companies deserve unions. But what a commentary that phrase is. Companies "deserve" unions. Because unions punish the hello out of companies. Some employees deserve to sit in the umeployment line, too. And, but for the safety net their union provides them, they would be like many of us- toiling, striving to do more with less, and not whining because "boss man" asked them to do something outside their typical job description. Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.

Want some tea with that party line?

Edwina's Secretary
11-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Lots and lots depend on the side you see. And, I see it all the time from the aggrieved workers side, and really cant understand the perspective.

I see it from both sides. Yes, there are some employees who just deserved to work elsewhere. Need to go away. But I believe very few people wake up in the morning and think..."i can't wait to go to work and do a lousy job!" Nor do I think most people go home and the end of the day thinking "I can't wait to get home and tell my family what a horrible job I did today!" And I think most employers want to do the right thing by their employees.

Just this week I had an employee call me. Gave me a long list of safety violations at his location. Has told the boss. Fears losing his job but also fears losing his life or the life of someone else because of the safety. This manager has had many complaints against him by employees. The big boss goes and give him the talk about "leadership." And thinks that fixes everything. When so many employees complain about a boss...well, there just comes a point. I have protected one of his employees he wants to fire because she takes too much time off to take care of her child with downs syndrome. Then I check her time records and it is maybe ten hours a month. I have no doubt this guy needs more than the "leadership" talk. But when I call his boss (and old friend) about the latest allegations I get a rant about "what are these people trying to do to him" etc. etc.

And the guy who called me is in a union.

I am not a fan of unions. I agree they make it harder to do business. They get in the way and protect some who should not be protected. But I also know why they exist.

Catty1
11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Here are recipes for homemade Twinkies: http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/homemade-twinkies-recipes-light-hostess-bankruptcy-185448195.html

According to the article, Canada still has Twinkies as we have a different manufacturer/distributor - Saputo.

What am I bid? ;):D

carole
11-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Yep saw them in the shop yesterday here .

Lady's Human
11-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Congratulations to the execs at Hostess.

They get to reap the monetary rewards from the liquidation of the company that they purposefully made non-viable, (spending no money on advertising or product development for a decade) and get bonuses while they finish their job.

Of course, it's all proper, after all, they're just getting their slice of the pie....

pomtzu
11-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Congratulations to the execs at Hostess.

They get to reap the monetary rewards from the liquidation of the company that they purposefully made non-viable, (spending no money on advertising or product development for a decade) and get bonuses while they finish their job.

Of course, it's all proper, after all, they're just getting their slice of the pie....

A Hostess pie, no doubt!!! A lot of now unemployed former Hostess workers would probably like to tell these execs, just where to shove those Twinkies, too! :eek:

oops - sorry!

Lillycat
12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
.....but isnt krogers in the bidding to buy them out?

carole
12-13-2012, 06:04 PM
The supply is running out in NZ too

cassiesmom
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Has anyone had a "new" Twinkie or other Hostess product? I saw boxes of Twinkies on display at the supermarket, almost bought one :)

pomtzu
07-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Has anyone had a "new" Twinkie or other Hostess product? I saw boxes of Twinkies on display at the supermarket, almost bought one :)

I won't even be tempted - never really did care for Twinkies much. I was a Snoball person - and creme filled chocolate cupcakes where the icing always stuck to the wrapper. :p

chocolatepuppy
07-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I like Little Debbie 'twinkies' better. I thought I read that they won't be making snoballs anymore.:(

momcat
07-20-2013, 09:07 PM
I thought I read that they won't be making snoballs anymore.:(

What?!? No Snoballs?!? :eek: How dare they do such a thing - Snoballs have been my favorite for years :(