PDA

View Full Version : Michelle / Kittycats_Delight is home from hospital

Freedom
11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Just received an email from Michelle. Some will recall she prepared our PT calendars earlier than usual this year, as she had surgery pending. I will just copy and paste as this is all the info I have, lol.

I got home from hospital late Sunday. I have not been up to much but wanting to sleep since I got home. I am on my last legs here now but wanted o drop you a quick line. I am still having pain and have a huge amount of meds to take daily. Doctor said the first month would be very hard. After that it will become easier within the second month and so on. Would be nice to wish away the time along with the pain but that isn't possible. Just wanted to let you know I made it through surgery ok and am recovering. I will post on PT when I can. If you want to you can go ahead and let folks know. I had Bilio-Pancreatic Diversion (surgery name) and it was to cure my diabetes first and foremost. It will also cure my hypertension and knock off weight. I can fill in more when I post. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts. (((HUGS)))) <3 Michelle

Karen
11-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Good to hear she is home, and we look forward, with her, to a healthier life once she recovers! Thanks for posting, Sandie!

Taz_Zoee
11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you for updating us Sandie. I was wondering how it went. Good to know she is well, at home and recovering. :)

Pinot's Mom
11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Prayers for recovery! Thank you for posting.

cassiesmom
11-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Big prayers for Michelle! I hope and pray for a smooth recovery from the surgery.

Felicia's Mom
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to Michelle.

phesina
11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Prayers and warm healing energies are being sent to Michelle. Take it easy and heal comfortably, sweetie!

Thanks for the update, Sandie.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Lilith Cherry
11-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Loving wishes for a swift recovery for Michelle:love:

mrspunkysmom
11-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Hugs and Prayers for a smooth recovery and excellent outcome!

Alysser
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Hope the recovery quickens its pace! We miss you, Michelle! :love:

kittycats_delight
12-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Thank you all for the well wished. They are much appreciated. I just posted on FB a little bit to Tracey (krazyaboutkatz) about the surgery and thought I should do the same to those who might like to know here.

The surgery I had is called bilio-pancreatic diversion. It's a bariatric surgery. It was to cure my diabetes, which I might add is now in the normal range always, without meds and no matter what I eat, but it is used more widely as an obesity surgery for desperate cases. It was invented to cure diabetes though originally and so my case was a test book case for the surgical team. The surgery went well..my surgeon said basically it was by the book.

My surgeon said the first month post surgery is extremely hard and I can attest to that but also the second month will be quite difficult as well. It gets a little easier and a little better each day. My diet is mainly protein. In my first 6-12 months I will need to eat 50 grams of protein a day after the first year it increases to 100 grams a day. Only a portion of the calories (vitamins, minerals, fats, cholesterol etc) I consume are absorbed from my foods unless it is simple sugars like sweets, fruit etc...all those calories etc are absorbed so those things need to be limited. I have my 1 treat of simple sugars a day. Usually a scoop of ice cream and I'm quite happy with that. I have never been a big eater of sweets. It will be nice when I can eat pasta & veggies again but I won't be able to do that for many months, 6-8 to be exact. A lot of things I liked before I don't like any longer and same goes for things I didn't like before I like now. I need things with lots of flavor because, atleast for now, can't really taste any mild flavors. Not sure if that will change once the 'new car' gets a few miles on it and things equal out. LOL The term 'new car' refers to my new digestive system and the father (inventor of the procedure) called it this to me when he came to reassure about the operation. It was quite funny. Anyway, I could give you all the gory details of what was done but will spare you.

I did enjoy pizza for the first time last night since my surgery and I tell you the first taste was heavenly! I was surprised actually as I ate 2 piece, 1/3 of the pizza and I wasn't bloated. It has been normal for me to eat very small amounts but feel bloated all the same. I was very happy with the results. This morning I had my treat for the day for breakfast, ice cream. 1 scoop of strawberry/lime. It was so good. I simply can't get over the flavor of the lime. Anyway, before I go on and on and on I will stop here.

Thank you for all the kind words and the encouragement. much :love:
Michelle

phesina
12-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Welcome back, Michelle! So glad to hear that all went well and you enjoyed your first post-surgical pizza! The ice cream breakfast sounds delightful too.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::l ove:

Pinot's Mom
12-01-2012, 07:37 AM
So glad to hear from you! Wonderful news on the surgery and prayers things continue to go well! :love:

Freedom
12-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Glad you feel well enough to post again, that in itself is a big thing -- at least for all of us, your online cyber friends!

Continue to heal and feel better! :love: I agree, pizze last night, ice cream today for breakfast, sounds good.

Karen
12-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Sounds like all is good! Enjoy the new tastes! I have been delighting in things I can eat after parting with my gall bladder.

chocolatepuppy
12-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Happy to hear you're doing well Michelle and good to have you back!:)

kittycats_delight
12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
hehehehhe...thanks guys!!! Hubby now loves to see me eat. LOL He watched me not eat a bite for basically 5 days after surgery so now he delights in it even when it is things he thinks is nasty. He is bringing me home Popeye's fried chicken on Monday because I have been craving deep fried chicken. I know this might sound gross but it isn't really the chicken I am craving so much as the deep fried battered skin!!! Hubby hates the skin of the chicken but was all giggles and smiles when I told him what I was craving so he offered to bring me home some after work on Monday. I crave meat now like something crazy. I am making bbq steak with mushrooms and onions tonight and can't wait to get it into my mouth. hehehhehe It is so insane for me. I have never had craving for anything before, not really, but now the cravings are almost obsessive. When I get a craving I can't stop thinking about it until I get it. Speaking of, there is some cold chicken in the oven that is calling my name now...mmmm....with mayo and cheese....yep, I NEED a snack and that will be perfect! It is so awesome I can eat all these things and I have no restrictions on the food I can eat once everything is up and running. (Now, it's not pasta & veggies but that won't be forever) I have lost 8 kg (about 18 lbs) since the surgery about 3 weeks ago and that is super cool. I can't wait for my new digestive system to reach full functioning capacity. I am very excited about the possibilities. :) Off to grab a small snack now. Thanks again guys. You all ROCK!!! :love:

Catty1
12-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey Michelle!

Glad you are eating tasty stuff!

I looked this surgery up - did you have the 'duodenal switch'? ;) It is pretty serious surgery but YOU rock and that's great!:D

mrspunkysmom
12-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Glad you are back. Positives vibes for continued good health. :love:

kittycats_delight
12-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey Michelle!

Glad you are eating tasty stuff!

I looked this surgery up - did you have the 'duodenal switch'? ;) It is pretty serious surgery but YOU rock and that's great!:D

hehehehe...it is a pretty serious surgery but I had the best team in the world. I mean that literally. The doctor that did the surgery is the head of Professor Scopinaro's team. Professor Scopinaro (the father of this procedure) is no longer able to perform surgery due to a very serious accident where he is lucky to be alive. He now walks with canes and shakes a lot as well as has speech issues. Nothing wrong with his brain though as he is like a god there and has received numerous prestigious awards all over the world as well as in the United States. He teaches at Mount Sinai in the US and the surgeon I had teaches at the hospital in Genova.

As to your question Candace, no I did not have the duodenal switch. That is not part of Professor Scopinaro's procedure. While they do perform that operation also at the same hospital where I was it is performed by another team.

The team I had was Professor Scopinaro's first team. My surgeon actually doesn't do many surgeries but I was one of the exceptions. He was very excited to do mine as he said 'This operation was MADE for you.' First and foremost I was diabetic before gaining any amount of weight and not the other way around. So to perform my surgery was to perform the surgery for the purpose it was created for. My surgeon told me that was very rare. As about 90% of the cases are for severely obese persons who became diabetic due to the obesity. Anyway, I have to stop because I tend to go on and on. I will bore you all stiff. LOL

Thanks again everyone. Much love, :love: Michelle

pomtzu
12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
So glad to hear that all is going good - and getting even better. Keep it up, girl. :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I missed this thread the first time so I'm glad that it was bumped up.:o

Michelle, I'm so glad that everything went well and that soon you'll be able to enjoy eating what you want without having to worry about diabetes.:) I hope you recover quickly. Take care.:)

kittycats_delight
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a little update. It has been just over 2 months since my surgery. I had my first follow up appointment with my surgeon on December 20th. All my blood work was good and the surgeon told me to keep doing what I am doing cause everything is looking great. On December 20th I had lost 8 kg (nearly 18 lbs) from the time of my surgery. I have lost a total, as of January 5th (2 months exactly post surgery) of 13 kg (almost 29 lbs). I am eating more than before but according to Guido I am still eating like a bird. There are many things I ate before that I liked that I no longer like or don't digest well. I was having a bit of an issue hitting my target of 50 grams of protein a day so asked my surgeon about trying protein shakes and bars to reach it. He said to give it a try but it may not work for me because they are made with milk protein and milk protein has a tendency to cause nasty cramps and icky #2s. Luckily for me they have worked in my favor and I have had no ill effects from them. So now I am hitting my target of 50 grams of protein everyday. :-) So all in all things are going well. I am right on schedule with the weight loss and my numbers are all good. So far so good. :-)

:love: Michelle

Karen
01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Good to hear! My sister learned to figure out her protein first, then factor in other food, but she's very math-minded, so it went okay for her doing it that way!

Randi
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Michelle, I'm so glad to hear you're doing well - keep it up! :)

kittycats_delight
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Good to hear! My sister learned to figure out her protein first, then factor in other food, but she's very math-minded, so it went okay for her doing it that way!

I eat very little of anything but protein. I just don't have the stomach size for it yet. So, that is what I do too. I basically know what foods have what amount of protein per 100 grams of product. I only eat twice a day. I can't do anymore. I can't eat more than 100 grams of meat in a sitting either and they have only 20 grams of protein. The only way I was hitting 50 grams was by eating a 2 egg omelette (no milk) or 2 eggs scrambled (no milk) which gave me 40 grams and then I could have 50 grams of proscuitto crudo and I was good for my 50 grams that day. But I just couldn't go the 2 eggs every day route. With the protein shake (250 ml/8 oz) I am getting 25 grams of protein and I can still eat my 2 meals at different times. I do my protein shake for breakfast at about 8 am when I take all my vitamins and other meds. Around 1 I will have some cold cuts and then I eat supper which consists of 100 grams (small chicken breast, 1 loin chop, small salmon steak etc) with some potatoes of some sort (still can't eat rice or pasta or hardly any veggies) usually mashed or roasted an I am good until the next morning. And with these foods and the protein shake I am right on target. I had to factor in the protein first because it is what gives me everything I need to be productive....everything else is just extras and I only absorb about 25% of it's nutritional value whereas I absorb all the proteins nutritional value so it was necessary to make the protein intake top priority.

Catty1
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Glad you are feeling and doing so well! HUGS!

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well.:)

Freedom
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I just read your 2 recent posts, Michelle. Sounds like things are going well overall, what a nice thing! Sending you cyber hugs - do a happy dance around the room! (It will drive the pets crazy, ha haaa).