PDA

View Full Version : Rememberance Day Service

fritz03
11-14-2012, 07:55 AM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/1/1133242/service.JPG
A picture from the wreath laying ceremony at our Rememberance Day services at the cenotaph next to the town hall Sunday morning.In front of me is the Bowmanville Sea Cadets and next to them is the Clarington Air Cadets.We have this every year to honor our war dead from the 1st and 2nd World War,the Korean War and Afghanistan.Names were read of local men who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can be here today.Wreaths were laid by schools, service organizations,businesses,people themselves and soldiers.We sang two hymns, O,God Our Help in Ages Past and Abide My me also sang O,Canada and God Save the Queen.One of the speakers told a story of a soldier 7 of his air crew who bailed out of their Lancaster Bomber over the North Sea and Parachuted down and had rubber Dinghy to sit in before they were picked up by a boat and taken to a port in North East England,he said it was the most peaceful feeling he had ever had.At the end of the service we found out who it and and it as a man from our church Cliff Trewin,this was World War 2.it was put on by our Legion,we wear Poppies to honor those who lost their lives overseas.Last Post was played and In Flanders Fields was read.My Dad's Uncle Herb Macklin was in World War 1 and most likely was at Vimy Ridge when we took it from the Germans in 1917,he came home and Mom's Grandfather Peter Walker was in a tunneling Company in World War 2 stationed in Surrey England and they dug tunnels in France.He went in as a Private and when he came back in 1946 was Sargeant.