PDA

View Full Version : Why Does My Cat . . . Head Butt Me?

phesina
11-12-2012, 09:33 AM
I thought this was so interesting and thought you would too.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/why-does-my-cat-head-butt-me?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_10041732

moosmom
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Think of it as fist pumping between humans. Sort of a feline version of it. Bad @$$ Buddie does it to me all the time. It's to show me he loves me (and either did something wrong or wants a treat).:p:rolleyes:

momcat
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Very interesting article. Groucho does that a lot, especially in the morning when I'm running late and trying to get ready to leave for work.

pomtzu
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
My RB Sherbie always head butted me when he was feeling extra lovie, or wanted more attention than I was giving him.

cassiesmom
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I :love: headbumpies! Kitties, please give your beloved purr-sons some headbumpies from Cassie!

Catty1
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
If I am writing at the kitchen table, Oscar almost always jumps up, purring, and wants to give me tons of head bumps. Of course, he also manages to sit on my work! Cole will head bump my hands. Zoe...she might manage one on the fly, hyper little thing!:love:

Randi
11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Fister does it mostly in the mornings and I love it, even though I'd like to sleep a bit longer. I'm sure it's a sign that he loves me. :love:

snakemama
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Kyubey gives the best head-bumpies. Sherpa doesn't do it as often, but he can give you a concussion if you aren't ready for it!!

catmandu
11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
I think that Our Cats have glands of the side of thier headsand by rubbing thier hedas on us they can put thier scent on us and are then able to
mark us as thier friends . We are flattered at the Found Cat Hotel as My Cats have exchanged head butts all the time.:love::love::love:

ramanth
11-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I like their definition of it as trusting the person or environment. Logan doesn't head bump as much as Zam, so I take heart the few times he has nuzzled John's leg. :)

smokey the elder
11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Diamond loves to rub her face against my hand while I'm watching TV, demanding to be petted. Marnie head-butts at feeding time!

Freedom
11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
So head butting is really bunting. Somehow, I don't this the PT family is going to change their term ha ha haaaa.

Some of mine do, some don't. Usually they seem to do this when I am intent on doing something! Maybe they pick up on our mood / attitude and want to verify that it is really me?! And mark that I am safe, even intent on something other than them ha haaaa.

Lady's Human
11-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I just wish Patch would be somewhat more......subtle (okay, so the word isn't in his lexicon) about it. That head to the chin can be a rude awakening!

Cataholic
11-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Many of my cats do this, and like LH, some of them I wish weren't so enthusiastic! Dakky can knock my hand (with coffee cup in it) about three feet. And, well, OUCH and CRUD at the same time.

I love kitty buntings. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes, several of my cats also do this. Sky gives hard head butts so I have to watch out for his.;)