PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane or Saint Bernard?

DogMania
12-01-2002, 10:04 AM
Ok, I posted a thread that said "Which would you rather have a Great Dane or a Chihuahua". All of the answers were Great Dane.
The people who replied said they like big dogs. So heres the question for you Great Dane or Saint Bernard?

mugsy
12-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Still Great Dane, although I love Saint Bernards too!

Uabassoon
12-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Great Dane I think. Maybe it's just some sort of sterotype stuck in my head, but St. Bernards drool a lot, more than great Danes. Not sure if this is true or not because I've never had either. But I don't like a lot of drool, I think it was that Beethoven movie that got it stuck in my head, but when I think of a St Bernard I think drool.

Crikit
12-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Hmm that's a tough one. They're both really big, they both drool and they're both to big for agility equipment..one track mind at times sorry... If it was a saint bernard like the one that a friend has I would go for that but other wise probably a great dane...though if I really had to choose I probably wouldn't choose either. I like the big breeds buy much prefer the medium sized ones.

primabella
12-01-2002, 03:41 PM
great danes...i don't know why. st.bernards are cute too..oh, i don't know http://images.bravenet.com/brpics/smilie/guilty.gif

aly
12-01-2002, 04:04 PM
I love both breeds so much. Both are so gentle and fun loving that I'd never be able to make a choice. Gimme both!! :D :D

Karen
12-01-2002, 04:16 PM
How about a mix between! I've owned both - my family has at least. Some St. Bernards drool a lot more than others, and our Great Dane and other Danes I know didn't drool (except in the presence of a candy cane, in Gracie's case.)

So maybe a St. Dane - or a Great Bernard - would be big but not drooly! :) Both breeds are sweet, great with kids, good at warming your feet (of the whole family) on cold mornings ...

I can never choose bwteeen dog breeds - love 'em all for their own reasons!

Aspen and Misty
12-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Saint Bernard!

ownerof3dogs
12-01-2002, 06:54 PM
I would choose a Great Dane. Not sure why I just like them better. St Bernhards are cute too though.

Dakota's Mommy
12-02-2002, 09:36 AM
I'd have to say Great Dane because now that we've got one, I never want our house to be without one! I love this dog, she makes me feel very good about the breed, especially since everything she does I hear other dane owners say there's does too. St. Bernards are beautiful dogs and the one I met had a great temperment and was a great dog. However, I'd have to do a lot more research before I decided to get one of those. Of what I do know, they drool more than most other dogs, including the dane, and they're fur is so long and full that they shed a lot and even if they are brushed often. So, I'd definately without hesitation have to reply that I'd go with the dane!:D :D :cool:

CathyBogart
12-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Actually, there were at least three people who said Chi. I said I might get a dane if I had a bigger property, but I think Stella the Chi is a perfect little canine. ^_^

As for a Dane or a St. Bernard.......Both are too big for my taste. I guess I'd have to say Dane.

Corinna
12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
I have tosay hinetly can't decide. I have had 2 Bernes that didn't drool(dry mouth) 3 newfys that didn't but one who was the drool king of the world. tThe danes I have known didn't eather.

Dogz
12-02-2002, 06:49 PM
I would have to say... Great Dane!!!
I don't know why I like them better... I just do!

WDog
12-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Id go for Great Dane

that_figures5
12-06-2002, 11:44 AM
I still pick Great Danes! I want a fawn one sooo bad! But I have my Basenji:D.

Desert Arabian
12-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Um........um.......GREAT DANE! Ever since I got chased up the street by two St. Bernards and a Greyhound, while walking my neighbors GSD- I have a grudge against St. Bernards (NO OFFENE BERNARD OWNERS! ;) ).

p.s. my pants were extremely wet afterwards (lol-just kidding)

RockyRoad
12-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Saint Bernards!! I can deal with the drool. I have a long history with Great Danes, but a few weeks ago I was at a party and a great dane was there! Her name was Cleo and we were letting her and she was laying on our laps!! Boy that pup was heavy!

firefox2
12-18-2002, 12:21 AM
I would have to say a St. Bernard, since I have owned 5 of them in my life, I just have loved all of them, they are wonderful dogs :D

wolf_Q
12-18-2002, 12:42 AM
I'd have to say Great Dane. I love the Harlequin! St. Bernards are beautiful too! I really prefer the short-coated bernards vs. the long-coat.

Actually my favorite of the larger breeds is the Bernese Mountain Dog. Landseer newfoundlands are also adorable!

I'm not sure if I could handle the drool either....and I'd definitely have to get a new vehicle, it's bad enough with a 45 lb husky! :D

firefox2
12-18-2002, 08:43 AM
I had 2 shorthaired Saints, and they don't drool at all, they are known as dry-mouths :)

wolf_Q
12-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by firefox2
I had 2 shorthaired Saints, and they don't drool at all, they are known as dry-mouths :)

Huh, there was a beautiful shorthaired saint bernard that came into be groomed a few days ago, and she certainly drooled! lol.

firefox2
12-18-2002, 09:29 AM
It might have been mixed with a long haired for the size. A lot of people want larger shorthaired saints, so they cross them with the longer haired saints. The Shorthaired aren't nearly as large. It all depends on the breeders too, a good breeder will produce them so that they don't drool.

wolf_Q
12-18-2002, 10:04 AM
She was very big....but not as big as a normal St. Bernard. I thought she was a puppy! How big are the shorthaired ones normally? I thought they were the same size, I guess I was wrong!

Just curious...how exactly do they breed them so they don't drool? What causes drool? I thought it was more to do with the shape of their mouths.....I don't really know, I've never had a dog that drooled.

firefox2
12-18-2002, 10:14 AM
hmmm, kind of hard to explain the size, as every dog is so different. I guess I could safely say that they are anywhere from the size of a chocolate lab (short and stocky) to the size of a black lab. I'm not sure how they breed them not to drool, but obviously it's in the shape of the mouth. I remember when we were looking for one though, many people through the Canadian Kennel Club told us to be careful and to make sure the dog isn't crossed with a long haired. The female short haired are quite small though, the males are much larger.

wolf_Q
12-18-2002, 10:17 AM
I didn't think chocolate labs vs. black or yellow labs had any difference in size, it just depends on the dog. Anyway, this St. Bernard, was definitely bigger than a lab! I've never seen a St. Bernard that small. All of my dog breed books list them together, you'd think if there was that much difference in size, they would be a separate breed.

Desert Arabian
12-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I didn't think chocolate labs vs. black or yellow labs had any difference in size.
That's because there is no such thing. The average height for a dog is: 22 1/2-24 1/2 Bitches: 21 1/2- 23 1/2. That is...according to the AKC.