PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 Diabetes?

Sowa
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Does anyone here have type 2? Can you tell me about it? Pretty sure my Dad has it. I've been doing a little research on it but I'm still not sure about how bad it is or not.

I know it's not the same disease as type 1 but my brother has that and I know it can be life threatening if he doesn't take care of himself. (which he does not) So I'm worried about my dad. I don't want anything to happen to him. I'd at least like to know more so maybe I don't have to worry so much?

RICHARD
11-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Does anyone here have type 2? Can you tell me about it? Pretty sure my Dad has it. I've been doing a little research on it but I'm still not sure about how bad it is or not.

I know it's not the same disease as type 1 but my brother has that and I know it can be life threatening if he doesn't take care of himself. (which he does not) So I'm worried about my dad. I don't want anything to happen to him. I'd at least like to know more so maybe I don't have to worry so much?

It's better to get him to the doc and let him figure it out.

That is the best way. Good luck to both of you.

Grace
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM

I was diagnosed back in 2005. I control with diet, exercise and Metformin. Your dad needs to see an MD for definitive diagnosis, and treatment options.

One thing I can recommend - a book. The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed by Gretchen Becker

Freedom
11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
My Dad has Type 2 -- he has lived with me for the past 12 years. Due to his dementia, I have to manage all his medical issues.

We took DOE classes - Diabetes Outpatient Education. It was covered by insurance. VERY helpful! Learned SO much. Maybe you have something similar in Canada. The person who prepares meals needs to take the course with the person who has diabetes, as both of them will need to know the ins and outs.

Since your brother has it, you have a good basis already. You know diabetics have to monitor their carbohydrates. (Lots of folks think they just have to watch sugar which is false). You know about insulin. Depending what stage your Dad is in, he may use insulin or he may only need pills for now. My Dad started on pills, but because he did not control it, the disease progressed rapidly and within 4 years he had to go on to insulin shots. My friend's mom has tight control and has been on pills for 12 years. She is the same age as my Dad, so that is not the difference between the 2 of them.

With Type I, the pancreas does not produce insulin. With Type II, either the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, OR the insulin is there, but the cells are resistant to it, or both. So there is not that much difference between the 2.

Scooter's Mom
11-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I was diagnosed in January 2010.
Like Grace, I control it with diet & Metformin. My A1C has been in the 5.0 & 5.1 range for the last year... which is very good.

The information you have been given is all good. The American Diabetes Association has a lot of information - I try to keep my #'s below what they recommend, for my own personal reasons.

aTailOf2Kitties
11-09-2012, 05:34 AM
I was diagnosed Type 2 just over a year ago. It was scary at first because my doctor wasn't very informative, even though it was at a diabetes center. What helped me more than anything was going to a registered dietitian. She helped me to read labels and balance what I ate to control blood sugar spikes and crashes. I was clueless about nutrition before then- I ate like a college student all the time and really really felt terrible while trying to figure it out on my own. Now I am on Metformin but since I lost 30 pounds and am closer to my healthy weight, they are considering cutting back or eliminating the Metformin. The stuff is uber-cheap ($5 with insurance), but i'd still rather not take it. It is well known to cause digestive woes at first. I had some problems when I started taking it, but they took me off of it for 2 weeks and I was sloooowly able to wean myself back on it without any issues.

I got lucky and figured out how to balance my meals to prevent spikes and crashes pretty well, but I know it is harder for some people. It really surprised me how well I did it. I still feel bad on occasion but for the most part I live a normal life, now that I've established an eating routine. I always keep snacks close by and do a little preventative snacking to keep everything stable between meals.

I know its scary at first, but in time it all gets easier, I promise!

momcat
11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm type 1. You can find a lot of helpful information through the American Diabetes Association website. Just enter American Diabetes Association then hit search.

smokey the elder
11-09-2012, 10:29 AM
November happens to be Diabetes Awareness month. This is nothing to fool around with but can be controlled. Read, read and read some more, find a support group. There are heaps of web sites. Good luck!

kaycountrygal
11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm Type 2 and have been for 30 years. I take the max dose of metformin AND insulin at bedtime + I walk 30 minutes every day (3 walks of 10" each when we take the girls out) + I try to eat properly.

For the past few years I've done better eating properly and walking. However, during the first years I didnt do as I should have and I have damage to the nerves in my feet and my eyesight is affected some. Sometimes even now I have trouble sleeping at night because my feet tingle and/or feel cold even though my feet are warm. Every night before I go to bed I soak my feet in warm water and then put on warm socks for sleep.

Years ago I lost alot of weight and my diabetes went away. Yes, it is possible because it happened to me... no meds, no shots. Then guess what? I gained the weight back and the diabetes came back. Even now I am pretty sure if I lost a lot of weight, my diabetes would more than likely correct itself. Losing weight is so much more difficult as you get older... I keep trying though.

If your father hasnt seen a doctor, he should and get diagnosed and get some meds. It might be possible for him to control his diabetes (if he has it) with med and diet and exercise. Good Luck!

Sowa
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
He has seen the doctor. He is waiting for his blood work to come back but he's been checking his own blood for a month or more now and it's been 7+ at the lowest. (4-5 is normal.) I think it got up to 13 or more sometimes. Last time he had his blood glucose test it was like 6.4.

My brother does have type 1, but it's not the same disease at type 2 from what I understand so what he does isn't going to be the same as what my dad does.

mrspunkysmom
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
With Type I, the pancreas does not produce insulin. With Type II, either the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, OR the insulin is there, but the cells are resistant to it, or both. So there is not that much difference between the 2.

You are the first person to admit that the Type 2 is all diet and exercise related. I know for me that I have to be active and exercise. I am on Metformin but it's not enough. I don't think my pancreas has produced enough insulin for a long time. That's my opinion. I knew 30 years back I had a problem and ate and exercised accordingly. It's taken this long to get treatment and confirmation.

Exercise and physical activity is important. he doesn't need to body build. A good fast walk several times a week will do it. Limit the grains. Limit processed foods. See a doctor. High blood sugar can affect blood flow.

Freedom
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
You are the first person to admit that the Type 2 is all diet and exercise related.

LOL, it's not that I admit it; that is what we were taught in the DOE program. ;)

carole
11-10-2012, 03:04 AM
My mother, my father and my only sister all have type 2 diabetes, so i am very high risk, i am doing all i can to try and not get it, my father was about 70 and my mother only recently at around 76 and my sister at 56,neither of them are hugely overweight, especially my mother,father and sister are both on medication, but my mother so far has avoided that as she tries very hard with her diet and has a daily walk, she just had her tests results back and they said she was still ok, so i just try and follow her example and do the same.

I am sure your dad will be able to manage his diabetes and keep it under control with the help of the doctors and nurses, i was once told you can get yourself off the meds if you really watch your diet and exercise, you are still considered a diabetic though, not sure if that information is correct, but it is hopeful isn't it, if so.

Try not to worry too much, so many people have it, it is like an epidemic they are saying, and they are very close to finding how to either stop it happening or cure it, fingers crossed.

I must go and get myself some bloods to continue to make sure i am ok, blood pressure seems more my issue,so neither are good.

Just get as much information for your dad as possible and try to support him as best you can, good luck.