PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash their toys?

Sowa
11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Most of the dogs stuff toys have squeakers in them. I want to wash them but I'm worried the squeakers won't work anymore. So how do you wash them?

happylabs
11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Funny you should ask. I just washed all of Casey's old toys over the weekend that Zoey plays with.

I put them in the washer on gentle. When they are done I put them in the dryer. I had to run them through about 2 or 3 cycles until they were almost completely dry. Then I lay them out on a towel until they dry completely. The squeakers still work too. :)

Taz_Zoee
11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Yup, I wash toys with squeakers and they come out just fine. The only reason they wouldn't is if they are very old and tattered, possibly.

pomtzu
11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
That was never a problem in this house. Within minutes of getting a new toy with a squeaker in it, Myndi (aka Jaws), had it ripped open and the squeaker removed! Then I had to sew them back up, and it would take her a while to decide that she need to take the stuffing out too. :rolleyes: No more stuffies or squeakies, tho she still has a toybox full of unstuffed body parts that she amputated from the original toys. :eek: :D

happylabs
11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
That was never a problem in this house. Within minutes of getting a new toy with a squeaker in it, Myndi (aka Jaws), had it ripped open and the squeaker removed! Then I had to sew them back up, and it would take her a while to decide that she need to take the stuffing out too. :rolleyes: No more stuffies or squeakies, tho she still has a toybox full of unstuffed body parts that she amputated from the original toys. :eek: :D

Casey was like that when she was younger, but then she decided she loved the sound of the squeak. She would carry a toy in her mouth constantly squeaking it. Apparently my grand-puppy Comet likes to squeak toys too. :D
Zoey doesn't chew thing up but her sister Sunshine does so they aren't allowed to have squeaky toys in their house. :p

Sowa
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks :) They're in the wash now so we'll see what happens!

Sowa
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
So they came out smelling better but they're still kinda dirty D:

kaycountrygal
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm with pomtzu. My girls, delicate as they can be LOL, tear up toys rather quickly. I've never washed a toy for either one of them because they tear off the legs or heads or something and the stuffing starts coming out. Periodically I make a trip to Petsmart and get new toys and try to get ones that wont fall apart quickly but .....

pomtzu
11-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm with pomtzu. My girls, delicate as they can be LOL, tear up toys rather quickly. I've never washed a toy for either one of them because they tear off the legs or heads or something and the stuffing starts coming out. Periodically I make a trip to Petsmart and get new toys and try to get ones that wont fall apart quickly but .....

LOL!! In all of Myndi's years, I only ever had one toy for her that she couldn't destroy - tho she calls it rough play! :rolleyes: I found it in a mail order catalog - it looks like and is the size of a baseball (so she can't get it in her mouth to chew), and it's a hard plastic. It's like a "bump and go" toy and it rolls all over, and when it encounters an object, it takes off in another direction. Myndi loves it!!! - and still barks at it and chases it around and tries to kill it! Even toys that I bought for her and marketed "for the toughest chewers", she could destroy with no problem at all. That's how she got the nickname of "Jaws"! :D I tried to find that baseball for another PTer, but have never seen one anywhere again - not even in the same catalog that I ordered it from.

sasvermont
11-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I usually wash Prue's toys each season change. I toss them in the washer but do not dry all of them there. I am afraid some will melt. She is SO gentle with her toys that they seldom fall apart or get destroyed. I know I am lucky. She has toys from when I first brought her home! I bet she has 100 toys. Guess who bought 9/10ths of them?

I wouldn't hesitate to use strong detergent if they do not come clean. I would be careful with the dryer..... as mentioned above.

Good luck!:D

Jessika
11-10-2012, 02:49 PM
So they came out smelling better but they're still kinda dirty D:

Yeah that happens with Jamie's "most loved" toys as well. The whites are permanently brown, it seems, and eventhough a majority of them are completely disemboweled now, you can tell some of the nastiest ones are her favorites and I just can't bring myself to throw them away...