PDA

View Full Version : The BEEEEEPS coming from the kitchen

sasvermont
12-01-2002, 06:23 AM
I am simply amazed at how many kitchen appliances beep at you when they are finished doing what you asked them to do: washer, dryer, microwave, stove and coffee maker. They all have their own little sequence and sound but after a while they all sound alike to me - and then they sound familiar - and then I don't notice them at all. Not good! Things will burn that way.

Not only do they beep when they finish, the stove beeps when it is finished preheating, when the timer goes off!

Beep. Beep.

P. S. And then there is the alarm clock beep, but we don't want to talk about that.:(

jenluckenbach
12-01-2002, 07:05 AM
ha ha... the preheat beep......Charlie always askes "what's done?" when its just the preheat....
besides all those appliances with beeps, I have a manual timer that rings so loud that the cats and I jump out of our skin when it goes off......but it does get your attention.

sasvermont
12-01-2002, 08:30 AM
Jen, I too have the standard loud timer that I bring with me to the computer if I am cooking. I sometimes don't hear the kitchen beeping......so I have the nasty loud one to remind me too!;)

Pam
12-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Hehe! I had never actually thought about all of the 'things that go beep' in the house. Don't forget the car! Lots of things beeping in there too. I guess the manufacturers of things think we are all idiots (that we need all of these reminders) and maybe we are! :D

All Creatures Great And Small
12-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Let's not forget the chirpy beep when the smoke alarm battery starts dying.....I once ripped the smoke alarm right off the wall when I couldn't figure out how to get the battery door open:mad: :p :rolleyes: . My dryer had such a loud scary buzz when it was done, I about wet myself if it went off while I was standing next to it:D :D - I finally opened up the electrical part, took out the buzzer, and replaced it with a doorbell. But - since my dryer is in the basement, and I'm upstairs doing other stuff, I never hear the bell ring - so, I bought a cheap baby monitor; I have the transmitter sitting on the dryer, and I carry around the receiver when I'm busy upstairs, so I don't get wrinkled clothes:p :o . (I am kind of weird, I admit.)

As far as the alarm clock beep - do you ever just incorporate it into a dream you're having? And how weird that my husband and I have identical alarm clocks, but he gets up an hour earlier and I never hear his go off, but always hear mine.

Cookiebaker
12-01-2002, 10:45 AM
And how weird that my husband and I have identical alarm clocks, but he gets up an hour earlier and I never hear his go off, but always hear mine.

I only hear the alarm if it's set to the radio & really loud & a song is playing that I want to hear. Otherwise Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :rolleyes: Mark gets pretty frustrated with me sometimes.

COCatMama
12-01-2002, 10:54 AM
I set the alarm to a rock station, I once made the mistake of setting it to some 'soft' station and I slept right through it!

Randi
12-01-2002, 11:38 AM
LOL! We only have one timer in our kitchen and I use it for boiling eggs, potatoes or something in the owen. Oh, and also for when the washing is done, that's in cellar next door. We hardly ever use an alarm clock to get up, we have a telephone which goes beep beep for about 10 seconds (rather quiet) - but every five min. - and I hear it!! Years ago, when I had to use one of these clocks you wind up, I had to put it in another room or in a drawer, not to hear it ticking. That one we usually dig out when we have to get up real early - like when we have to be in the airport before 8AM! :D

Edwina's Secretary
12-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Thank goodness for this post! I just remembered I turned on the oven to preheat it for a pie. Must be careful with this multitasking......(the iron is on too!)

Edwina's Secretary
12-01-2002, 01:46 PM
Here's my beeping story. EVERYTHING in our house seems to do some kind of beep. We have an alarm that beeps when any door is open, detectors that beep when batteries are low, CO detectors (when we bought the house it had a furnace for one part of the house that made me very nervous), washers, stoves, and who knows what all else. I find the beeps instrusive at times.

Don was out of town. For some reason I was very edgy. While eating dinner there was a power surge. Then a beeping began. Every 45 seconds -- this beep. The beep was like a door being opened. I was becoming edgier and edgier.

I called the alarm company....the guy tried to walk me through some disconnect process. I found the box but it was locked. He said the key was usually on top. It was....until I knocked it into the locked box in trying to retrieve it (use ladder next time!)

Now I was stuck waiting for a technician. Waiting...waiting with beep every 45 seconds. It would be after 11 pm before they could send a technician.

This beeping was making Edwina REALLY crazy. She was crying, pacing, being wierd.

I went to my bedroom to read as it seemed furthest from the beep. I heard a noise in one of the other bedrooms. A rustling noise. (This is going to be embarrassing but you need to understand how unnerved I was at this point.)

I called the police before realizing it was Edwina trying to burrow under some bags. (You cannot UNCALL the police. They come anyway....)

No technician and it is almost midnight. I called. Their computer system had gone down. They sent a technician. He got the key out. He unplugged the CO detector from the wall that had shorted.

I paid the $100 and slunk off to bed feeling very blond, very embarrassed, and very dumb.

Cookiebaker
12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Oh Edwina's Secretary, I HATE when that happens!!! I'm all too familiar with that feeling of paranoia?? I hate being alone at night!

Cataholic
12-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Let's see..I have a new oven and microhood that beep, but I seem to remember them most often.

When I moved into this house two years ago, there was a strange beeping that I couldn't locate. I looked everywhere! And, just couldn't identify it. I thought it was coming from outside..so, out I go, looking around, listening very carefully. So, my neighbor sees me, and asks what I am doing, and he, too, starts listening, listening. We are cirling my house, then we move inside.....listening, listening. I begin unplugging things, no help. He suggests we go start switching off circuits. So, down to the basement we go, through the garage to the circuit panel. While standing next to the cicuit panel, he asks me what the motor to the pump is all about. I tell him it is my sump pump...and he says, well, that noise is from the battery being dead, and it is warning you of it! I never felt so silly. I had been all over the house, inside and out, sure it was a bomb of some sort..nope, just the sump.

I unplugged it and QUIET~

RockyRoad
12-01-2002, 03:12 PM
I HATE my dryer! It will go off in the middle of the night for no reason and wake everyone up!! It's sooo loud! And of course I sleep right through my alarm clock so I have no clue how loud that is :rolleyes:. Dishwasher is really not that big of a deal except the humid mist that comes out of it! Hot Hot HOT!! :D And the microwave beeps too, even though that is the only thing in this house that isn't new.

popcornbird
12-01-2002, 03:21 PM
OHHH THE BEEPS!!!! LOL! The microwave, the dishwasher, the oven, the smoke detectors when the battery is dying (my worst one.......it always happens in the night! :eek: ), the telephone's message machine, MSN messenger!!!!! Even the birds :rolleyes: (that's the only "beep" I enjoy hearing) LOL! And how can I forget the printer and the car and the iron and treadmill and ............."sigh" I can go on forever. Imagine if someone from the old days (1000 years ago) came back to the new world of beeps. They would think us people today are drunk. :rolleyes:

Nomilynn
12-01-2002, 05:45 PM
These stories are very funny :) The only thing in my kitchen that beeps is the microwave. The oven doesn't beep - even when I set the timer (which doesn't work anyway so I never bother) it doesn't beep - it buzzes. My watch beeps, but I'm so used to it that I don't even notice anymore. My washer and dryer don't beep either. My car, which is very old and has a personality, doens't beep all the time either - just when it feels like it!! LOL :D

12-02-2002, 02:18 AM
BEEP ???? My son Jo has no idea what that sounds like ... hahaha ! If he is asleep and you want him to wake up , you almost need an explosion to succeed ... ! Then , IF you are lucky , he opens one small eye (he is Korean , so he has asian eyes !!) and asks : What's up ????????????

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhh !!!:mad: :( ;)

kohala
12-02-2002, 06:20 AM
I swore I heard a rooster one day at work. I asked one coworker if she heard it, and she thought she did. Oh, well. A few days later, more of us heard it. We couldn't figure out WHAT it was!!??! This went on for many days, always in the afternoon around three-thiry. One afternoon I happened to have my purse out of the desk drawer I keep it in, when I heard a loud cock-a-doodle-dooing, coming from my purse!! I searched it and found that the rooster we were hearing was a small clock for the visually impaired that had belonged to my mother. It has a button you push that will announce the time, and an alarm. Apparently I had fooled around trying to set it, and it got set to go off at 3:40 p.m., with a previously unknown capability to make a rooster sound!! I left it that way for a long time, as we always knew when it was nearly time to go home - the rooster would crow!! I finally have reset it for the morning.

jenluckenbach
12-02-2002, 07:01 AM
so Kohala, your purse is a "black hole" too ?!?!?!

ramanth
12-02-2002, 09:36 AM
And here I thought you were going to talk about the OTHER beeping that comes from the kitchen... the @#$%*& kind. LOL!!!!! :o :D

kohala
12-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
so Kohala, your purse is a "black hole" too ?!?!?!

Oh, yeah. I should have different beepers for all the things I can never find in there!!! Y'know, keys, license, money (sometimes). All that stuff you can never find.:D