PDA

View Full Version : eye floaters?

caseysmom
11-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Has anyone had eye floaters? Just started having these tonight, I felt crappy and headachy today so maybe its a type of migraine?

Karen
11-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Had the first one a few years ago, freaked out about it, but turns out it is just bits of the vitreous fluid in your eye that have solidified. The big ones (mine was "spectacular" according to the eye doc) will break up in time, but it is just, I was told, part of getting older. The migraine may just mean you are noticing them more.

Flashes of light in your eye are different, THAT is something worth worrying about. I am VERY nearsighted, so every time I have a check-up they ask about that, as they worry about retina detachment, and that can be a sign of that.

caseysmom
11-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Had the first one a few years ago, freaked out about it, but turns out it is just bits of the vitreous fluid in your eye that have solidified. The big ones (mine was "spectacular" according to the eye doc) will break up in time, but it is just, I was told, part of getting older. The migraine may just mean you are noticing them more.

Flashes of light in your eye are different, THAT is something worth worrying about. I am VERY nearsighted, so every time I have a check-up they ask about that, as they worry about retina detachment, and that can be a sign of that.

Thanks Karen that makes me feel better.

pomtzu
11-03-2012, 06:12 AM
What Karen said. I've had them all my life - or as far back as I can remember anyway. My ophthalmologist said I could have been born with them if I can remember them as a kid. Most got "sucked out" when I had cataract surgery several years ago, but I still have some, or have developed new ones. You can also be born with cataracts too - my granddaughter was born with a small one, tho it doesn't affect her vision and hasn't gotten worse.

Face it Granny - you're not getting any younger! :p:D

moosmom
11-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Face it Granny - you're not getting any younger!

I couldn't have said it better. When I hit 30 and started getting floaters, it really bothered me because I also suffer from dry eye. My dr told me it was age. I felt insulted. But he was right. My reading vision is horrible and keeps going down hill every year. I know understand why my aunts all shared each others glasses. :rolleyes:

Whoever said "Life begins at 40" is so full of donkey doo.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.:p:rolleyes:

sasvermont
11-03-2012, 10:46 AM
When it first happened, I thought I was going blind and it only happened to me. But after mentioning it to a couple of friends, they too have had them off and on for years. Right now I am free of them, but every now and then, I get a few floating around. Usually in my right eye, not the left. Getting old. My feet hurt now too, but that's another story!:rolleyes:

Randi
11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I had one a few years ago and I freaked out, too. Even called my doctor. She explained what it was and also said, that only if you get flashes of light, there's reason to worry.

At first I thought my glasses were dirty, but no. So I got an appointment with an eye doctor and he found out that I have the beginning of a cataract in one eye, too.

Getting old sucks, but I suppose it's better than the alternative. :)

AvaJoy
11-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I've had them for decades, and my Opthamologist says it is nothing to worry about. Can be annoying, I know. And as we age, they increase, at least that has been the case for me.

caseysmom
11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
In the middle of the night I had a few little white ones not sure if that is a flash of light? I may call the advice nurse just to be sure but thanks everyone.

pomtzu
11-03-2012, 02:04 PM
In the middle of the night I had a few little white ones not sure if that is a flash of light? I may call the advice nurse just to be sure but thanks everyone.

Doubtful. The flash of light is just what it sounds like - a bright, quick flash - bright like an LED light, and usually appears to be in the outside corner of your eye. You would recognize one if you had one - it really gets your attention! I've had numerous ones and the doc says in my case they are rather harmless electrical impulses, but anyone that has them should have them checked out to make sure that it isn't a more serious issue.

caseysmom
11-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Doubtful. The flash of light is just what it sounds like - a bright, quick flash - bright like an LED light, and usually appears to be in the outside corner of your eye. You would recognize one if you had one - it really gets your attention! I've had numerous ones and the doc says in my case they are rather harmless electrical impulses, but anyone that has them should have them checked out to make sure that it isn't a more serious issue.

Thats a relief I am due for my annual exam I will make an appointment.

Asiel
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I had floaters for ages and they did disappear with the cataract surgery. Had nothing to do with the cataracts but it's sort of nice not to be bothered by them anymore--- harmless but annoying at times.

mrspunkysmom
11-03-2012, 08:09 PM

I have floaters in one eye, but mine are a different kind. Some of the iris material loosened during cataract surgery so I see bits of iris material even 20 years later. They look like amoebas with grommets at either end.

It's disconcerting but doesn't interfere with actual vision.

Kirsten
11-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I have lots of them, for many decades now. When I look against a white wall, it looks as if I was taking a look through a microscope and see all kinds of germs. :) It's distracting, and I try not to focus on it. My ophthamologist told me these are agglutinating collagen fibres, swimming inside the vitreous body of the eye. I'm been told it's very common for Hashimoto patients (which I am), and it is also related to Ehlers-Danlos (for which I was recently tested).

pomtzu
11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I have lots of them, for many decades now. When I look against a white wall, it looks as if I was taking a look through a microscope and see all kinds of germs. :)

Great description. That's exactly as I have always seen them.

Kirsten
11-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Great description. That's exactly as I have always seen them.

Yup, mine mostly look like filoviridae, those that cause Ebola... ;)