PDA

View Full Version : New Dog Visiting - Need Help

BoxerLover
03-24-2001, 09:30 PM
My cousin's dog is going to be staying with us during spring break while they are on vacation. I will be completely responsible for her care. Her name is Rosie, she is a Irish Setter/Golden Retriever cross. She is five years old. Nikki and my cats have met her before. Nikki and her seem to get along all right, exept when they are on leashes. Oh, and sometimes Nikki steps on her hair or eats her toy or gets petted and they start fighting. Same with Rosie to Nikki. I dont know how to make them get along. I am afraid if I leave them alone, they will fight. Please help. My cats on the other hand, HATE Rosie. They hide and hiss and growl... If you know anything to help soothe the relationship between them, please post also. Thank you for reading, please help me in any way that you can.

------------------
~Erika and Nikki~

Logan
03-24-2001, 09:52 PM
Hi Erika (and Nikki)!
You know what, I wouldn't worry too much. They will "check" each other out, and then probably be fine. At least that's the way it is for Honey and Lilly when they meet someone new. What I have found is that my dogs tend to fall down and let the other dog check them out first.
You will know quickly whether they will be ok, but give them a chance, and I'll be they will be fine. But by all means, do NOT try to break up a fight by getting in the middle of it. You might get bitten or worse, and that would be terrible.
Once they get to know each other, they will get the "respect" each deserves and will be ok. At least I hope they will.
Logan

BoxerLover
03-25-2001, 05:04 PM
Thanx Logan!
Rosie's the kind of dog that falls back while Nikki checks her out. Nikki tends to be the dominant dog of a pair. I know not to get in the middle of a fight, when Nikki got in a fight with a dogg down the street, I sprayed them with a hose and they seperated. I will keep a squirt bottle handy when Rosie comes. Thank you again!

------------------
~Erika and Nikki~