PDA

View Full Version : Killer Bunny!

Splash
11-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Whenever my brother and I want to play with our bunny, Freckles :D (In case you remember him from being pet of the day) We stick our hand in his cage and he lunges at us and bites us! :mad: can anyone help me ? :confused:

Karen
11-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Don't stick your hand in his cage! That's invading his space. Open the door and let him approach you. Then don't pick him up, just pet his nose, stroking it up nose to ears. Do this for a whole, then let him come out on his own and play with him out there, where he's not in territory he feels he needs to defend.

Daisylover
12-02-2002, 09:35 AM
Karin gives excellent advice, always let a bunny come to you and never force him in or out of a cage or carry case, let him come and go on his own, even if it takes a bit longer than you would like.

Also you need to know that while bunnies have excellent vision, they do have a blind spot and that is directly in front of their face... If you come swooping in at him, he is going to know something is there and since bunnies are a prey animal (food for humans and other predators), he may think you are going to harm him. Try to approach Freckles from the side where he can see you. You should also know that most bunnies DO NOT like to be picked up off the ground. It's the predator thing again and when they are up in the air - even though you know they are safe - they don't. Bunnies are ground-loving animals and naturally their best means of escape is to run away.

Good luck with your bunny and let POTD know if you have any other bunny questions...there are several of us who have had bunnies for a number of years so we have a lot of experience with them.