PDA

View Full Version : any ideas for helping cats to adjust?

toughCookie
11-29-2002, 11:06 PM
I will be moving soon, and I have been thinking of ways to help the kittycats adjust to the new place. here's the ideas I have so far, does anyone else have any other ideas? this month's cat fancy had some ideas, one was to bring something from the old house home to the current house so the cats could get used to the new smell. well I'm still looking, have not found a place yet, and how do I bring something from there home? there will be nothing removable in there....:confused:
the magazine also said to bring familiar things to the new house, well I had thought of that, I am going to have some of their toys, and the cat trees, probably most everything before they see it, and I will arrange things as close to how it is now as possible.
but, I wonder, they will be upset as they see things getting moved out?

Nomilynn
11-30-2002, 02:56 AM
I think that starting them out in a smaller space to begin with is better. When we moved a LOOONG time ago our two cats were confined to one room while we arranged furniture and stuff. Cats done like change so when they can explre the new house it would be best if it was arranged the way it will stay.

They will likely be upset, and they will sense your anxiety too (moving always causes anxiety I think!! :rolleyes: ) so just keep reassuring them and spend lots of time comforting them! :D

Best of luck to you! :)

jenluckenbach
11-30-2002, 05:15 AM
During our 1st move we had one of the shiest cats in town, and I thought she'll never adjust!!!! But even though the house was different, all her "things" were there. All the familliar smells. She did fabulous, to our amazement...

Starting them in a smaller space (vs. the entire house) is good, just as it would be for a new cat. During our last move, the cats were moved over first, put in a bedroom that the door was NOT to be opened at any cost, and we moved. See, no cats under foot and they spent the day exploring a new space. Then when it quieted down, we opened up to put some things in and let them come out if they felt comfortable. They loved the new place!!! It has stairs for the first time. I think all will go well. Good luck.

smokey the elder
11-30-2002, 09:01 AM
When we moved 6 years ago we only had Smokey the Elder and Mobius. We confined them to the library that no one was to open on pain of death (j/k). Then after the hubbub was done we opened the door. Smokey made herself right at home, while Moby tried to hide under the radiator!

In a few months I may be moving 7(!) cats to Pittsburgh, but I'll do the same thing. One house we are looking at is a 6 br Tudor so there will be plenty of places to stash the cats!

Miss Meow
11-30-2002, 04:07 PM
I agree with Jen and Naomi, close off some rooms so the cats have a smaller space to adjust to. Once they're settled in, they'll have a great time exploring the new rooms :)

If you can, I'd think about boarding them for a couple of days while you unpack, set up furniture etc. All the uncertainty and noise can be very unsettling for cats. It might be stressful for them at a cattery, but I think it's much less stress than sitting in an empty house that's being unpacked.

When you first bring them to the new house, make it a time when you have a few hours free so you can sit peacefully near their things and help calm and pet them. It seems to help them settle more quickly.

Good luck!

Jen, don't cats love stairs!!! Mini and Jasmine used to have a daily happy hour racing up the down the stairs in the old place. This house has no stairs boohoo, but it's bigger so they have a longer distance race now :)

catland
12-03-2002, 01:19 PM
The best smell that you could give them would by you. You can do this with your laundry or bath towels. My cats love bath towels. One that smelled like you would be the best reassurance they could have.

boscibo
12-03-2002, 02:54 PM
I have moved 7 times with my cats, and what has helped is time off work to be with them (if you can swing it). I was getting really good at moving, and had a routine. My cats were always the last thing to move (and litter boxes, food & water bowls), and I had already set up all my furniture at the new place before they got there.

The worst was when the carpet cleaners came shortly after I had moved my cats - they were supposed to do it before I moved in! I had to put my 2 displaced cats into a strange bedroom and keep them there until the carpets dried - they were not happy and neither was I.

I never had a big problem after moving - once my RB cat Boo peed in a box of magazines (this was at the carpet cleaning disaster condo, shortly after) but overall they adjusted very well to all my moves.

jenluckenbach
12-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by catland
The best smell that you could give them would by you.
true
I have been known to leave my sweatshirt in the room with a kitty if they needed to be alone. and they would love to lay with it.