PDA

View Full Version : Sour Milk uggh! Any ideas?

dab_20
10-27-2012, 01:09 PM
So, my car started smelling really gross and for the life of me I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from for TWO weeks. My fiance mentions maybe I should look in the trunk, which I hadn't. There was a ROTTON gallon of milk in there, and I realized it was the milk that I thought the grocery store did not give me and went back to get a couple weeks prior. (Pregnancy brain to the next level??:rolleyes::confused:) Anyways, the milk had exploded all over my trunk and back of my back seats. For the LIFE OF ME I can't get the smell out!! I took it to the car wash twice and completely sprayed out the trunk with soap and high powered sprayer and put a large fan in there to fan it out. My car still stinks so bad, I just don't know what to do :( What sucks the most is I just bought this car a few months ago dang it!

Any tricks or ideas from anyone out there? I've got to figure out something!

Taz_Zoee
10-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I just googled it (love that "google it" is a household term nowadays:p) and found this (http://voices.yahoo.com/getting-rid-unbearable-sour-milk-smell-your-1459447.html) site that has some ideas. The ideas are further down in the article. They say coffee grounds, or vinegar and water, and the one that seems the most promising is borax laundry detergent.

Catty1
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
The milk would have left protein and fats in the trunk, so you need stuff to break it down. Check the link that Taz_Zoee found.

Also - you might check with professional car cleaning places and see if they will steam clean it. The advantage is that the stuff gets sucked back into the cleaning machine.

Let us know what works!

Karen
10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Good luck - the site Taz_Zoee found has a good article, I like the idea it gives of letting an odor absorber it in the car overnight, then a good cleaning afterwards. A couple of boxes of baking powder ought to do it!

Many years ago, a certain brother of mine spilled a banana Fribble - so ice cream, banana and milk - in my car. Try as we both might, the msell never reallly did come out. After one attempt with a really strong cleaner, it DID change from smelling like old banana on humid days to smelling like chemical bananas on humid day .... thankfully, it was an old car, and eventually died one night on the streets of Somerville, MA, although I am sure in whatever junkyard it ended up in in Southern Worcester County, on humid days, the smell of chemical banana still wafts through the air.

happylabs
10-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Sell the car ... :D

mon
10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Great advice, you wanna buy it?:D

Roxyluvsme13
10-28-2012, 12:32 AM
All I can say is that sounds disgusting, LOL. Hopefully that link will give you some ideas, because I know personally I wouldn't be able to stomach the smell! I'd spray tons of Febreeze until you got the smell out!

Lady's Human
10-28-2012, 12:50 AM
1) bring it to a detailer, explain the situation and see what they can do.

2) disassemble the interior (trunk carpeting, seat backs, etc) and replace them.

A gallon of mil broke in my mother's car years ago, and we never did get the smell out of it. It gets into the carpet, the sound deadening under the carpet, etc. and is in general a PITA to remove.