PDA

View Full Version : Looking for INformtion on Puppymills and Backyard breeders

Aspen and Misty
11-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone. I'm looking for information on Backyard breeders and Puppymills. If you have an opionion please state it but please Put your name and What State you live in so for instince I cna say Ashley is Pennsylvania thinks puppymills are cruel. Or whatever. I am giving a speech at my school and church and if I do good I might do other schools. Chewy is going to be there once we get him under controlle. He is a perfect example of why you should spay and nuter your pets, he and his litter mates were bein giving away at 2 weeks old.
Any info is welcome!!!

Thankyou so much,
Ash

Karen
11-28-2002, 09:42 PM
For info, there are reams and reams of it out there, go to Google and type in puppy mills, just be sure you have a strong stomache.

And my opinion of "back yard breeders" if you mean people who just breed there dog for money, not love, is the same as puppy mills, just slightly less sickening.

If you mean people who don't spay or neuter, but otherwise love and care for their pets, well, they need education. The earlier you teach children to spay and neuter, the better!

Even Miss Hoppy is spayed, though we have no "eligible bachelors" around the house for her!

Aspen and Misty
11-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Thanx Karen.

What I ment by backyard breeders are people who breed there dogs without thinking about the puppies. Like Chewy's moms onwer. She obviously did not think about the puppies because she treid to give them away at 2 weeks. I have been looking at puppy mill sights and have found alot of good ones. I was just wondering if you guys had any "favorites" (if you can say that).

Ash

11-29-2002, 06:03 AM
Sorry for asking , but WHAT is a puppymill ?? NO no , I am NOT going to look it up in Google ... I'm scared to see the pics ..:eek: :confused:

mugsy
11-29-2002, 06:49 AM
Ash, try www.prisonersofgreed.com and www.nopuppymills.com . Those are 2 of them that I know of.

Cincy'sMom
11-29-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by lut
Sorry for asking , but WHAT is a puppymill ?? NO no , I am NOT going to look it up in Google ... I'm scared to see the pics ..:eek: :confused:

In short, puppy mills are places of mass production of puppies, often in dirty, disease filled kennels. They breed several different breeds. They do not breed for anything but money, paying no attention to the fitness of the dog...it could have all kinds of health problems and is bred anyway, and usally everytime the female dog goes into season. Unfortunatly, this these are the dogs usually sold at pet stores. Once Female can't produce any more litters, they get rid of her, and not to a happy home. Basically, it has nothing to do with dogs and everything to do with Money

Karen
11-29-2002, 09:11 AM
Puppymill dogs are usually kept in wire cages, often outdoors. They are fed, but not cared for medically. They often have sores on their feet from the wire cages. They end up sitting in their own excrement, disease is rampant. Inbreeding is rampant, no attention is paid to the dogs by human beings. They end up not knowing love, kindness, care, or the feeling of grass under their feet. Females are bred continously, until they can't physically do it anymore, and are then disposed of. It is a sad and miserable existence, all for the sake, as was said, of money.

Happily, we have had stories of puppy mill rescues who have gone on to become loved family members. See Buster's story ...

http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/1999/May/23.jpg

here. (http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/1999/May/23.html)

luckies4me
11-29-2002, 10:44 AM
Aww I am so glad he's found a home! It is very funny to hear those tiny dogs snore. ;)

Aspen and Misty
11-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Thanx eryone! You guys are such a big help!

Cookiebaker
11-29-2002, 01:40 PM
Oh what a cute Pug!!! How could anybody look at something as cute as that, and treat him soo bad?!?! :mad:

Best of luck, Aspen&Misty, in your project! Good for you to get the word out there!!

sammi
11-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Here is also a very good site.
http://www.hua.org/Prisoners/Puppymills.html

I think what you are doing is great and good luck with your project.
;)