PDA

View Full Version : Please help prospective novice cat owner - Me!

ChrisH
11-28-2002, 12:59 PM
After giving getting a cat some serious thought I decided to go to the cat shelter today. Some were already reserved, including a real sweet grey one, but there were still a few on view. I found the criteria of a cat that would happily live indoors and get on with dogs was a bit difficult to fill.
There was only one that was already an indoor cat but it was very doubtful that he would tolerate a dog, one other possibility, Clover, a black and white cutie full of purrs and head butts, got on well with dogs but they were sure would not take to being a house cat. It was while I was holding Clover that the girl came back and asked, "How about having two cats?"
To cut a long story short, there are a two seven month old littermates called Suki and Suzi up for adoption but right then they were out at the vets along with some of the other cats getting their shots, check-ups etc. They think that as they are not used to being outside they will be fine to be indoor cats and also that being young they should get on okay with my dog. So I am going back tomorrow morning, God willing, to meet them and, of course, for them to meet me.

Ok, Pet Talkers, that is the background, now for the questions:)
Just one I think for now. Do you think I will be doing the right thing in adopting them given my absolute zero experience of living with cats?
Chris

(got to tell you that I already got two littertrays and some food bowls, and been to talk with David, who delivers my pet stuff, and arranged delivery of food and stuff if I do decide the answer is yes. Although, even if it is I doubt if I will be able to take them home until next week..... guess you can tell how excited I am getting! LOL)

TheAntiPam
11-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Don't be afraid!! Twelve years ago, I adopted my first ever cat, picked with the help of a friend, and I haven't looked back. You have covered just about every question - except how about your dog? How will the dog deal with the cat? Likely the answer is JUST FINE!

Getting two kitties is no more work, in my opinion, than having one. But you will definitely have twice the fun and love.

Adding a family member of any flavor always brings questions, but don't be worried - if those two little sisters work their magic on your heart, then go for it!

Best holiday wishes to you and your growing family!

aly
11-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Cats are very easy to take care of because they will be SURE to tell you if you do anything wrong :D :D

I think its a great idea to get a cat, and an even better idea to get TWO! Thanks for going to the shelter instead of a breeder :)

That surprises me they have so many outdoor cats there :confused:

Expect the kitties to be scared at first of the new environment and of the dog. But they will come around. Give them a place to hide (under a bed, a covered box, etc) and they will come out and explore as they start to feel comfortable. Be sure to put their food and water and litter box near where their hiding place is. But they also might not even need to hide!

Valerie
11-28-2002, 02:07 PM
I think it's wonderful that you're adopting not just one but two! They sound like they probably get along well together, so that's half the battle. You'll have to give them lots of love, and don't forget to give your dog extra lovin' (try not to scold him too much if he acts up when you get the kitties home).
Good luck, God bless you all.:)

ChrisH
11-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks to you all for your encouraging posts. I have to admit I am a little scared! lol. I have had loads of experience with dogs but cats are whole new area for me. We did have a cat when I was young, his name was Scobie (and we had a Jack Russell dog, named Lester, at the same time too) but it is so-o-o long ago. besides they were my Mums pets really and she took the most care of them.

aly - it was no surprise to me that most of the cats are outdoor, or maybe I should say indoor/outdoor, it is the norm in this country for cats to be left to roam at will. For example, in my corner of our block alone, there are six indoor/outdoor cats. I know most of my cat owning nieghbours most likely will be of the opinion that I am weird or cruel, or maybe even both :) to want to keep a cat indoors! Having said that, the idea is becoming more and more popular, slowly maybe but getting there.

TheAntiPam - how my dog will be does worry me a little, I think he will be ok, he seems to be more curious than anything about the cats that come in our garden, he has never got close enough to check them out though because they have always run off, as cats do, then he runs after them as dogs do!

Thanks again everyone. As Arnie said, "I`ll be Back"! I will have loads more questions for you and I have an idea you are all going to be groaning `oh, not again!` when you see my posts appear!

aly
11-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Oh :o I didn't realize you were in the UK :o

Well I'm glad you're going against the norm and having indoor only cats. They will be much safer that way!!

Good luck!!!!! :)

Vermontcat
11-28-2002, 04:19 PM
ChrisH I am so excited that you are going to get not one but two cats!
You have been a great dog mom and bird mom, I am sure you will do fine as a cat mom as well! I think cats are easier to care for than dogs and you already know how to care for a dog.
About the indoor only thing, it will be easier if they are young but have you looked into leash training the cats or do you have a fenced in yard for Bob that the cats would be safe in under your supervision? Those are two choices to consider in case they are not happy as indoor only cats.
I would suggest when you first introduce Bob to the cats have him on a leash or in his kennel until you know what his reaction will be to them. I am sure other pet talkers who own both dogs and cats can help you with more advice on how to introduce them.
Please tell us more about Suki and Suzi. What color or breed are they? Do they resemble any pet talk pets? I am so excited for you!:D Don't worry about asking too many questions, pet talkers are here because that is what we like to do, talk and talk and talk about our pets!:)

lynnestankard
11-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Wow Chris - great news!! Two baby furkids no less. I'm sure they will be good indoor cats being so young - just ignore whatever your neighbours say!! They'll get on so well with the dog I expect most youong cats I've known have no problem with dogs - it's when they get a bit older and 'set in their ways' and if they are upset at first - they'll come round in time - don't worry.
Is the dog a great big softy? They normally adore cats.
Let us know how things progress - keeping fifngers crossed here for you.
Lynne

ChrisH
11-28-2002, 05:34 PM
Vermontcat - my yard is fenced/hedged and keeps Bob in but I know the cats would be able to get out, the neighbourhood cats get in easy enough! lol. I have seen cat leashes for sale and have thought about it briefly, but I am not too sure on that one...oh, to have some cash and be able to make one of those real cat escapeproof gardens... thanks for the advice about introducing Bob, I was wondering about how to do that.
Lynne, I wouldn`t call Bob a big softie, but he is good natured and friendly. He is, however, quite an excitable dog in play and greeting and that is a bit worrying.

I haven`t actually seen Suki and Suzi yet so I can`t describe them, I have been told they are black and white but in what proportion I don`t know. All being well I will see them tomorrow and be able to decribe them properly....

I am getting a little scared here, it is a big responsibility I am taking on, I so want to do the best for them and Bob, and me. Is wanting them a good enough reason?

wayne0214
11-28-2002, 06:01 PM
ChrisH, I do not think that you will regret getting your furkids, and kittens at that! Although I have never attempted to integrate cats and dogs, I have been very fortunate about judging a cat's nature in order to get along with other cats. All of mine get along with each other fairly well.

When I adopeted Amy, my little tuxedo, she is somewhat of a loner, but affectionate when she wants to be. Since she was a street rescue, no one knew of her background. Last month I let her outside for a while, and I saw her playing with 2 of the neighbor's dogs! This is something that the animal shelter did not know about........her ability to get along with dogs!

.............wayne

Cataholic
11-28-2002, 06:22 PM
ChrisH,
I think you are worrying too much. Cats are really much easier than dogs. My father breeds/trains dogs, and I have been around them always. I now have six cats-and can say they are way way easier, even in numbers.

If I might give you some starters, please be sure to confine the kitties to one room for 24 hours. Let them acclimate to the smells, the new surroundings, the sounds of your house,etc. It is helpful if the room you close them off in has some hidey places..the closet, underneath the bed. Although you will be so excited to interact with them, I would hold off on it for a little bit, again to let them acclimate.

It also helps, if you have a permanent place for the litter box, to put it there NOW! That might mean you need two pans- one for the room you enclose them in, and one for the permanent spot, but, it is easier to litter train if at least one box is always in the same place! It is easier to get rid of the other box, to revert to a one litter pan house, if you can close off the one to the room, by shutting the door, and know the cats know they have one more pan..does that make sense?

Remember, Bob may like the litter pan and the cat's food. So, being able to put the pan someplace Bob can't get to would be good. Same with the food.

The kitties might cry the first several nights...Bob may be problematic for a few days, but, cats and dogs get along fine. I babysit my sister's shephard and rottie, and I have no problems with either.

Good luck!!!

jenluckenbach
11-28-2002, 07:01 PM
Yes, 2 cats are great!!! they will have each other and younger ones will adapt better to you, your home and your dog. I am also very glad that you plan to keep them indoors. I feel it is really a better option. I would add though that maybe more than 24 hours alone may be in order. You can tell by their amount of curiosity. Some need more time in a small area because a large area (an entire house) can be overwhelming. And introducing them to a resident pet should only be under supervision at first. You can always come here for answers to any questions. You'll get a lot of points of view. Can't wait to hear if you decide on them after you see them.

Pam
11-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Chris, everyone is a novice cat owner at some point because at some point everyone has a 'first cat.' For me it happened later in life too - 1993 to be exact. Before that I had absolutely NO cat experience. I think the kittens will do just fine with Bob. They are young enough that they will grow up with him and not think anything of the fact that he is not 'one of them.' LOL! My question would be, how do you think Bob would be with them? I have read that certain breeds of dogs don't do well with cats. I remember reading that terriers, and particular Jack Russells, should be avoided in a kitty household. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I just thought I'd pass it along. The article didn't mention spaniels at all but you would be the best judge because you know him best.

My dogs were very interested in Trevor in the beginning which caused Trevor to do a lot of hiding, after all the ratio at the time was two of them to one of him! :) We only let them all mingle in the evenings when there was a lot of supervision and often Trevor would just run under the sofa if their interest in him was too intense. LOL! Eventually he got a little braver and now he is just fine.

My only other comment would be to plan now where the litterbox will be. As mentioned in another thread, dogs enjoy the contents of litterboxes, as disgusting as that sounds. If you have a basement, as I do, you might like to install a cat door and keep the kittens' food and litterboxes down there. It works well here and the kitties can eat at their leisure without a dog breathing down their neck :rolleyes: and they have some privacy when nature calls. Don't worry about asking questions. That's why we're here and it shows that you are a very responsible pet owner and thinking things through. I wish all people would do the same!

moosmom
11-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Chris,

Before I got Mollie Rose over 8 years ago, I was CLUELESS about cats. What I would suggest is getting a book or going online and doing a little research on cats, their dispositions, care and upkeep, etc. The key is to gradually introduce the pets (dog/cats). I learned by experience. Then I joined a rescue organization and learned a whole lot more.

Good luck in your quest for a happy pet household. Let us know how you make out. BTW, did you know that the average cat's care and feeding costs over $5,000 per year per cat?? And I've got 7!!!

Miss Meow
11-28-2002, 10:02 PM
Congratulations Chris! I can't add any more advice to what's already been said, so I'll just say that we brought two new furkittens home last week so if you have any questions along the way, feel free to PM me :)

shais_mom
11-28-2002, 11:26 PM
I know how you feel!! After I got my dog, Shaianne, and had her for about a year I decided I wanted to get a cat to share the love! I was going to get a kitty from a friend, but another friend had a cat that her Boyfriend (now husband) didn't like and wanted to find it another home. So I took her. I totally didn't know anything about having a cat let alone an indoor one!! That hadn't been around dogs!! But I bit the bullet and took her on what I thought was a temporary basis. Now there is no looking back. After she had been with me less than a month I knew she wasn't going back there to be abused.
I say go for the 2 kitties that way they will get used to the dog easier.
I certainly have never had indoor kittens either but I would definatley say whatever you did to puppy proof your house, do it again on a higher level to kitty proof it!!

krazyaboutkatz
11-29-2002, 02:01 AM
Chris H, I just want to say that adopting 2 cats is the way to go because then they'll always have a playmate. I also want to wish you good luck and hopefully congratulations. :) I'm sure that you'll make a wonderful cat mom.

jenluckenbach
11-29-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
BTW, did you know that the average cat's care and feeding costs over $5,000 per year per cat?? And I've got 7!!!
I've got 13!!!

But I don't think it really comes out to that much. I did a year long "Study" a few years (and a few cats) ago, and I found it to cost only $15 per month per cat (so $180/year) not including neutering, because you do not do that every year, and not including emergency care, because they are not sick on a regular basis.

11-29-2002, 04:02 AM
ChrisH , You are doing the best !!! Waw , 2 cats !! It is much better to take 2 cats instead of 1 ; I first got Maya ; a month ago I got Inka , and since then , Maya is much more active and that's healthier !!! Don't worry about being "novice" !! You will learn in no time . And hey , you have a huge "bunch" of Pettalkers ready to help you with everything ..;) :p !
You will enjoy it from day 1 !! Success !!

http://www.cindydrew.com/cats/free/gr54.gif

Barbara
11-29-2002, 04:06 AM
ChrisH: there is not much advice to be added. I also think that there are some dogs that have been bred for hunting. And among these breds there are some personalities who cannot forget that.
My parents first dachshund, Amsel, was like that. Although she had been a pet dog all her life she tried to chase whatever moved, squirrel, deer (my parents live very close to the forest and sometimes deer came in the garden!) cats. (She never got one of them.)
Their actual dachshund, Amber, is 100% different. She has met our cats and even exchanged nosekissies with Filou (who is very courageous). Then the cats retired under the bed. Then she went searching them (just out of curiosity) and Tigris gave her a nose scratch. Ok: this can easily happen because at the end of the day the cats will rule and most of the dogs will accept that.
Now tell us about Suzi and Suki. Have you seen them now?

smokey the elder
11-29-2002, 08:31 AM
Don't be worried about being a "cat virgin";). They are very easy to take care of. Getting two teenaged kittens is a good way to start; they will entertain yourself and each other and gang up on the dog (j/k). Teenage cats can be rambunctious so watch out for plants, coat trees, curtains, and other hanging or dangly things. Other than that, enjoy!:D

ChrisH
11-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Well, I went to see the two kittens/cats today (who were in fact called Sugar and Spice not Suki and Suzi:o) Anyway, they are really, really cute, both black and white, and maybe made even more cute by having those little lampshades on their heads to stop them picking at the stitches, they were so funny to watch, so friendly and mischievous too.
I talked a while to one of the staff there and she found out for me a bit more of their history. They came from a home with too many cats (no neutering done etc) and the owner could not cope with them all anymore and gave them, along with two other littermates to the rescue. It was a very busy household with a lot of coming and going with the kittens wandering in and out, mostly they think following the children about. The other two littermates were in the rescue too but they were going to new homes this weekend. I think Sugar and Spice are going to find a forever home very quickly. But not with me.
I feel sure that I wouldn`t be able to cope with them, really because they are so lively. I can just see those two and Bob winding each other up and running around having a fine old time, as for trying to keep them in....well, I have visions of having to go on cat patrol for two madcap cats each time I let Bob out or even opened the door. Oh, sure, they, and Bob I suspect, would be having great fun, while my already high blood pressure would be going off the scale! But the bottom line is I am sure I can`t give them the home they deserve or need.

I haven`t given up on having a cat though, oh, no! In fact someone will be doing a home visit within the week. I do have a cat in mind. Her name is Ebony, and as you may have guessed :D she is pure black with just a touch of white on her chest, and she is 31/2 years old. Her story is sad but only to common, she got pregnant and was dumped. She was neutered after the good homes were found for the kittens and she found, what was thought to be, her forever home back in June. Recently her new owner got a job abroad and couldn`t take Ebony, so she is back at the shelter.
I am not to sure about the indoor cat thing, if she would be happy with that, but I do know that her last owner, because there was a real busy road out back of where she lived, used to take her out back on a halter, so it follows that she must, at least recently, be used to being inside. How she would be with dogs raises a question mark, but I think that it is going to be that way anyway, whatever cat I look at. She didn`t object to being stroked or anything, but she is a bit standoffish and reserved but thats ok, she`s the boss! lol. Anyway, the jury is out right now, but I have to say that I have taken a real shine to her.

Although most of the cats in there are reserved, most will go to their new homes this weekend and new ones come in, the cat I wrote about in my first post, Clover, is still there. I felt so sorry for her because after I left yesterday someone had said they wanted her, then while I was there today, the person phoned up and said she didn`t want her after all. Poor Clover, she is such a sweet and loving cat, I hope she won`t be long in finding that new home.

Thank you all so much for your advice, help and encouragement. Be sure that I am going to carry on needing it too, with whatever kitty I choose! :)

2kitties
11-29-2002, 06:44 PM
yay! for Chris, Suki and Suzi! Don't be afraid, the cats will help you through it all. :)
I adopted a single but within 5 months, I had a second. Two is MUCH better than one. Many people consider cats to be solitary animals that like to be alone. That isn't really the case. Socialized cat will do much better in a set.

Consider these two: They have already lived as siblings for 8 months. That, to me, is very different than separating at 3 months. They are already a set. Oh how much fun you'll have.

You'll need to establish a relationship with a vet to finish their shots, etc. So take some of his or her literature and read up on the internet. Really, kitties are easy. All they need is food, water, lots of love, and complete and total control over their owners. No problem!!:D

Pam
11-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Chris it sounds like Ebony has made her claim on you. :) When I recently went to the shelter with my daughter she was there with the idea of getting either a solid black or gray cat (her husband's suggestion). Well as we passed by all of the cages a little solid white girl kept sticking her paws out of the bars and meowing. It was like she was saying "pick me! pick me!" To make a long story short, Dandy (as she is known now), short for DandyLion, has a forever home with my daughter. :) I think it is wonderful that you are thinking of adopting a mommy cat. It always makes me sad when the kittens and puppies get adopted right away but the mommies remain. Keep us posted!!

jenluckenbach
11-29-2002, 08:31 PM
Never feel guilty in not picking a particular cat, after all it is a life long commitment. Adopting older cats is just as rewarding, if not more so , then adopting kittens. You may still find a pair. Either ones that have been together or ones that don't even know each other. I have adopted 3 "pairs", two pairs never even met each other before coming home with me. Don't rush, you will know when it is right. It is actually a GOOG thing that most of the animals are spoken for. There will always be more (fortunately for you yet unfortunate for them....if you know what I mean)
Keep us posted.....I want to know when you decide!!!

Vermontcat
11-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Ebony and Clover both sound like lovely cats. I think it would be better for you as a first time cat owner to get an older, calmer cat rather than a couple of active kittens. I think Bob would probably adjust better to one cat close in age to him that is more independent and less demanding of your time than he is.:)
Now you need to decide which is more important, a dog loving cat or an indoor loving cat, or maybe you will find a third cat at the shelter who is both of these things.
Keep us posted on which one you decide on.

Miss Meow
11-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Good luck whatever you decide Chris. You will know when the timing and cat/s are right for you and your home. I hope you can get one or two though, they're great animals to have around :)

rosethecopycat
11-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks jenluckenbach and Cataholic- you save me a lot of time typing.

Chris H. let me just add:
You may let them swap scents first. Let the dog smell something of the cats, such as a blanket or a pile of fur, first, even before they come home. This works well when bringing new babies into housholds with pets.

Also, I'm sure you already know this but,
Please get them all their shots and please make sure they are spayed or neutered.:)

It is so nice to have two kitties. This is the first time I've ever had two, and they need each others company so much.

Best of Luck!

:D

Nomilynn
11-30-2002, 02:53 AM
I just wanted to add that making an outdoor cat into an indoor one isn't all that bad, especially if there is anohter cat in the house to keep him or her company. Tilly was six months old when I got her, and had been a stray so she was very used to being outside. But when I brought her home she didn't mind because she had Bassett to play with! (Nutmeg wasn't here at the time). My mom also had a stray that showed up at a year. He still tries to get out sometimes but he understands what "NO! GET BACK" means so he doesn't try to get out that much at all. In fact, all four of my mom's cats are outdoor cats made indoor! Just make sure there is lots of places to look outside - maybe have a bird feeder out a window to keep the kitty entertained, and lots of furniture and stuff so they have places to exercise. I think two cats are better for indoor because they chase each other around, therefore getting more exercise. I hope all this rambling makes sense.. I just finished a take home exam and I'm a bit fried!!! :D

Barbara
11-30-2002, 03:50 AM
I agree with Jen: You'll know when you meet the right ones. And the'll tell you, too. Read Jen's stories how she met her furkids. All the adjustment problems (dog, outdoors) will solve easier than you suspect.
And I have recently read that pets at home even can lower the blood pressure! (No joke). I think it is because they are so much fun. Never a day without LOL with cats. They are so comical.
So good luck.

ChrisH
11-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Once again, thanks to you all, you are a real help to me. Nothing new to tell today, haven`t had a home visit yet, should do before Wednesday though, so I can bring my cat, whoever it may be home then. I was very tempted to go to the shelter today but I have had too much I need to catch up with around the house, and tommorow too.
Got the food & food bowls, littertray & litter and a scratching post, a nice one too. David, who owns and runs a pet supplies business, and has been delivering the food and stuff I needed for, must be nearly five years, he is such a nice guy. He gone to a lot of trouble to help over those years, helping me find the right food for Bob and lots of things like that..... anyway, he picked out the food and stuff (he supplies the shelter) and, because he knows how I have to watch my pennies all the time, and that getting a cat is going to be stretching me to the limit, he got some money off coupons for the food and also suggested that I can pay for the post as and how I can. Isn`t that so nice of him?
Between his help and the help from you fellow Pet Talkers, I think I maybe I am going to be able to be one happy cat mom!
I will keep you all posted!

Pam
11-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Chris we look forward to you soon posting on the Cat Boards as a Cat Mom, whomever that kitty may be! ;)

sasvermont
11-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Chris, each and every cat has it's own little personality. Some are a challenge and some are easy as pie! You get what you get - but taking your time to getting to know this furry creature is the answer. I just recently adopted a 4 yr. old cat but have the luxury of knowing who he lived with before I got him. He seems to have adjusted but not changed dramatically. If I am not mistaken, you are intended on getting the Mom cat, right? 3 1/2....so she will be pretty well set in her ways. It will be fun for us to hear your take on the big adjustment. It may turn out to be easy, easy, easy.

I often bring dogs into my house with my three cats. The cats don't mind it and I usually keep the dog on a leash for awhile until I see that they will not eat each other!

Keep us posted. Can't wait to see some pictures of your newest member of the family!
;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
My family had cats when I grew up but a) they were ...like all the animals...my mom's! and b) we were out in the country where they were outside as much ...if not more...than inside. And...I'm allergic to cats! So when my husband wanted a cat....it was an adjustment!

I am so excited for you....and Bob.....you know I am in love with Bob...right???

Onward to adventure!!!!!!

SANDY FROST
12-02-2002, 02:06 AM
It's wonderful to get a cat for the frist time. You'll br great because yhou're a pet person. Get a good vet, a good hoew to cat book and subscribe to
a good cat magizine like Cat Fancy and ypu'll be fine. Cats are easy.
Nice home,good food and lots of love. I keep my indoors and they are happy and have no desire to go outdoors. IN fact they will be healthier in the
long run.
Sandy Frost:) :D

ChrisH
12-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Just to let you all know, I am getting the home visit in about two hours! I am so nervous, isn`t it silly! :) I don`t what I willl be like before going to get my cat on Wednesday! If I am approved that is. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Miss Meow
12-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Good luck! I know you'll pass with flying colours :D

ChrisH
12-02-2002, 04:04 PM
No-one came! :( I don`t know why. I know they are short-staffed because when I called to see if whoever was coming wanted directions I was at first told that someone was taken ill and I may not get a visit after all, then, after checking, I was told that a volunteer who lived fairly close to me would make the visit. Then nothing, no message, zilch. I did call but I just got the recorded message stuff. I will call again in the morning and try and find out what happened. To say I am disappointed is such an understatement...:(

Edwina's Secretary
12-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Keep the faith! Volunteer organizations (heck ANY organization) struggle so today to meet commitments with short staffs.

Maybe they have decided your reputation needs no validation and you're already approved!

Love to Bob....sigh

ChrisH
12-02-2002, 04:57 PM
Edwinas Secretary - yeah, I know youre right, I am just not feeling too good and you know how it is when you`re off colour, stuff sometimes feels worse than it is.......I didn`t mean it as a moan against the shelter people, they really do a great job.:)

What...oh yeah, Bob says to send you tailwags and a big slurpy kiss! :D

NoahsMommy
12-02-2002, 05:52 PM
ChrisH, Don't worry, the right one will come along...you'll see. We volunteer at the shelter on Saturdays and each week, there is a new cat that leaps into my heart. There are many special little guys and girls out there.

jenluckenbach
12-02-2002, 06:22 PM
I know how frustrating it is when people break appointments, but don't take it personally. Mostlt, they are overwhelmed with things to do, and emergencies (that need immediate attention) around every corner. Maybe this was for the best, if you aren't feeling the best, you may not show off your "true colors" in an interview.

BastetsMum
12-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Chris,

Don't be scared about getting a kitty. If they could they would look after themselves *laughs*. Cats are highly independent creatures with minds and characters of their own.

Bastet is only 2.5 years so I was a newbie 2.5 years ago too *laughs*. I went through all the problems too of her being lonely and away from her brothers and sisters and the fact she slept on my chest for 3 weeks! I let her because I knew that eventually she would know that I would always be there for her.

As for the indoor/outdoor debate - I beleive that having an indoor cat not only saves you the worry of roads and nasty people but also saves the wildlife as well. Bastet has a wonderful time inside. I hide toys for her and little pockets of food. She gets to see me when I get home. She has places to watch the outside world and really she is very contented.

I think its commendable that you are considering a shelter cat too! When I did work at the RSPCA here in Australia - it was always the older cats there that didn't find their forever homes. Some of those cats had the best personality! It was a shame at that time I could not take them all home and love them but I did go in whenever I could to sit and stroke them and be their company.

The older cats (not from my experience mind you) do not have any trouble adjusting to an indoor environment.

I wish you all the best!

SANDY FROST
12-02-2002, 09:35 PM
TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY! Had a rotten day at work but there was a dog tied up outside the store where I work. So I spent My break with the
dog huggy it and talking to her. I forgot about my bad day. HANG IN THERE!
Sandy Frost:(

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Chris, I just want to wish you good luck. I'm sure that you'll be approved and then you'll find just the right cat to adopt. :)

ChrisH
12-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone.
The person who did the visit yesterday went to the wrong house ! an empty one too! Never mind, someone else came today (I gave her directions). She was the nice lady I saw last week who found all about Ebony for me. She thinks that Ebony will be okay, as long as it works out with Bob of course. There was a bit of a sticky patch cos I don`t have a pet carrier to go get her, and I can`t afford to get one till next month, but the visitor had a word with the shelter manager and she said I can borrow one to bring Ebony home. Transport is a bit of a problem (I don`t drive or own a car!) it looks like I will have to get a taxi, but that should be okay. So, it looks like she will be here tomorrow.....unless I chicken out! :D (joke) Though I am still sort of scared as well as being excited, it feels a little bit weird!

Got something I would value your opinions on before I bring her home. I have two rooms to choose from for her to go in for the first day or/and as long as she needs.
First is my living room, I only use it to watch tv, of which I don`t do a lot, and I think I can keep Bob out of there pretty easily. The front door opens straight out onto the path and garden but I very rarely use it in the winter. The downside is that Bob may feel a lot left out if he can`t go in there when I watch tv and to look through the window when he wants.
Second is my upstairs spare bedroom, well, its more of a junk room, it is also a playroom for my grandaughter when she is here, but thats only once a week and she doesn`t always go in there anyway. It really does need clearing out but there is still plenty of room for a cat to be, especially as Ebony is not a kitten and I think, for the first few days at least, she won`t be looking to get into mischief. As long as I can be sure of the safety aspect it should work out grand, but it does get quite cold in there at night and I do feel I am sort of locking her away.
Any thoughts welcome!!!

sasvermont
12-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Well, first I would see how the dog and cat get along. Then play it by ear. If Bob doesn't car much about the cat, then I wouldn't confine the cat. I would keep an eye on both pets, especially Bob, so that the cat doesn't scratch him etc. Just let nature take its course. You may find that confining the cat is the best thing, then select a spot where it can watch but still be safe. Baby gates often work nicely.

I just wouldn't worry about it until you see how they do together....

My vet said that the best combination is a male cat and a female dog.... you have the opposite, right?

Keep us posted.

I can't wait to see a photo!:D

ChrisH
12-03-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks SAS. Yes, I will have the opposite, boy dog, girl cat. The baby gate idea sounds good, I do have one, well, two in fact. Sometimes I am glad I am a hoarder! lol.

jenluckenbach
12-03-2002, 03:25 PM
baby gates do not stop most cats. (99%).

I would definitely confine the cat at first, and then continue to do so whenever you are not home or cannot supervise (like when you are asleep) until you are POSITIVE that 1) Ebony feels comfortable and 2) you can REALLY trust both pets together. Confrontations can happen fast. I would chose which ever room you you wish her to retreat to if she feels threatened. I have found, that whichever room I chose to start a new cat in, the new cat will always go back to that most familiar place if it needs time alone. So if, for example, the spare room will have its door closed to her at a later date, then chose the living room (they can get scared if they cannot get back to that familiar spot.). Realize that some cats will acclimate faster than others. I've been through everything from 1 day to several months until the new cat felt completely comfortable.

Hope this helps more than it scares you LOL

ChrisH
12-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks jenluckenbach, yes, you have helped more than scared! :D I was thinking along the lines you said, for example if I put her in the spare room then later on cutting a hole in the door so only she could have access. And with the baby gate it would be to keep Bob out of the room rather than for keeping Ebony in, and then only when I could supervise. I am a worrier by nature, hence all the grey hair, lol, and I think that is why it is hard, I also know that no matter how hard you try you can`t cover every possibility. I have to find a way to strike a balance.

Pam
12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Chris, I can see from your other post that Ebony (name subject to change) is now yours! :) First of all, congratulations are in order and she is LOVELY!!!!! I just wanted to show you what my daughter has done regarding keeping her kitty's litterbox and food away from inquiring eyes. :) This is her little boy, and my grandson :) (15 mos. old) who we certainly don't want exploring the contents of a litter box :o just as I know you don't want Bob to do. :o She has a baby gate across the laundry room door opening and Dandy's food and litter are on the other side of the gate. Dandy is able to go underneath or leap over the top - something that little toddlers and dogs (Bob) can't do. Also it allows my grandson, and in your case Bob, to watch the goings on. Just a suggestion, and hopefully Robyn will forgive me for posting a picture of her laundry room! LOL!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pc114e0775967376aa972cc87ee6ef030/fcf7a8f7.jpg.orig.jpgp

Pam
12-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Looks like Imagestation is not cooperating. Let's try it this way.

ChrisH
12-05-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks Pam. I don`t have a small room/place like Robyn has....although I do have a pantry...that may work...what a good idea! I may try it out when she comes to live downstairs. Thanks again!:)