PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the election - POLL

pomtzu
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Who do YOU think is going to win the upcoming presidential election - and why?? - if you care to elaborate on it. :eek:

caseysmom
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I voted Obama but it is very close and who knows. I wish folks would remember we were on the brink of a depression when he took over, they tend to expect miracles and it takes time to undo the mess he had to clean up.

pomtzu
10-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I personally think that Pres Obama will be around for another 4 years, simply because too many people are too lazy to even take the time to really look closely at Mr Romney and see what he is all about, whereas they do have "some" knowledge of our present president. Apathy may prove to be a bigger factor than it should. :(

ETA: And who am I voting for??? It's not necessarily what it would seem from the above statement. Only me and my voting booth will know. :p

Alysser
10-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I honestly don't care anymore. That probably sounds bad, actually yeah it does sound bad, because I should care, but personally, I'm constantly sickened by the morals of some people whenever election time comes around. I "never" get excited about it and probably never will. I really just can't wait for it to be over, personally. :rolleyes:

caseysmom
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
When I said I voted Obama I meant your poll, I haven't voted for anybody yet.

Lady's Human
10-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I posted this prediction on another forum:

Pres Obama will narrowly win re-election.

43 seats in Congress will change hands, but it will either be a wash or a slight gain for the Democrats, yielding another 2 years of fools like Chairman Issa in control of the house.

As such, the hyper partisan atmosphere will continue, and absolutely nothing will change.

My longer term prediction is that in 2014, 50-75% of the electorate will simply forget that the actually important offices (those of the Congress) are up for vote again, and 25% of the population will again decide who has the reins of power, yielding another 2 years of stagnation by a group of supposed leaders mroe concerned with party than country.

Freedom
10-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Having lived through the Romney years in Mass, we are in BIG trouble if he wins.

Grace
10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
I have already voted :)

Michigan has 5 or 6 reasons for giving out absentee ballots - I fit in the age bracket. Personally, I don't think you should have to give a reason - why can't we just vote early? I heard on the radio today that Ohio residents have already cast over 800,000 votes.

cassiesmom
10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
From what I have heard on the news, the polling has them very close. I don't think I would want to be the next president if I knew that half of the people who voted, didn't vote for me. Early voting started yesterday in Illinois. I wish I could vote on line instead of having to go to the polling place and queue up for a machine.

aTailOf2Kitties
10-24-2012, 05:19 AM
I don't even care any more. I've been on this earth through 40 years and a lot of presidents. My family has never been homeless, hopeless, or broke, no matter who the prez was or how much the American public complained about them. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
10-24-2012, 06:28 AM
The point I was making above is that the President DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!

Laws passed by Congress actually run the country.

The amusing thing about Presidential elections is that we're arguing about what the drapes should be made out of while the roof is falling in due to a Congress who is more interested in delaying accountability for anything than coming up with solutions.

There is NO leadership in Congress.

Until there is. we're not solving anything.

mrspunkysmom
10-24-2012, 07:36 AM
I posted this prediction on another forum:

Pres Obama will narrowly win re-election.

43 seats in Congress will change hands, but it will either be a wash or a slight gain for the Democrats, yielding another 2 years of fools like Chairman Issa in control of the house.

As such, the hyper partisan atmosphere will continue, and absolutely nothing will change.

My longer term prediction is that in 2014, 50-75% of the electorate will simply forget that the actually important offices (those of the Congress) are up for vote again, and 25% of the population will again decide who has the reins of power, yielding another 2 years of stagnation by a group of supposed leaders mroe concerned with party than country.

I so agree. I wonder if a multi-party system would encourage more cooperation.

david p
10-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I think the election will be close, but Mit Romney I think will emerge the winner. A lot of people in this country have lost faith in Obama.

phesina
10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
The point I was making above is that the President DOESN'T REALLY MATTER!

Whoever is elected President in November is most likely going to be appointing at least one new Supreme Court Justice, if not more.

In other words, this time around anyway, it matters a great deal who will be elected President.

lizbud
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Whoever is elected President in November is most likely going to be appointing at least one new Supreme Court Justice, if not more.

In other words, this time around anyway, it matters a great deal who will be elected President.

Excellent point.:) SCOTUS affects our every day lives more than the President does.

lizbud
10-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't even care any more. I've been on this earth through 40 years and a lot of presidents. My family has never been homeless, hopeless, or broke, no matter who the prez was or how much the American public complained about them. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say that you & your family are very lucky people.;)

Lady's Human
10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
The President can nominate the SCOTUS judges, however, as we have seen with many nominations in the past, ideologically pure candidates don't normally make it through the Senate confirmation process.

If the President is handed a Congress with a narrow majority, or a minority in the upper house, then they have to moderate their choices for the court.

As several nominees who have been appointed to the court have shown, (Souter, Breyer) even those chosen by a President who has a majority in the Senate don't often stay on the ideological reservation.

The President could nominate Herr Schickelgruber to the SCOTUS, but that doesn't mean they're ever going to sit on the bench.,

happylabs
10-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I voted Obama but it is very close and who knows. I wish folks would remember we were on the brink of a depression when he took over, they tend to expect miracles and it takes time to undo the mess he had to clean up.

Having lived through the Romney years in Mass, we are in BIG trouble if he wins.

I agree with both of you.

Let us pet lovers remember that Romney is the man who placed his Irish Setter in a dog carrier on the roof of his station wagon for a 12-hour trip to Lake Huron. I COULD NEVER EVER vote for a man who did this to his pet no matter what.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/dog.asp (http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/dog.asp)

pomtzu
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
A lot of people in this country have lost faith in Obama.

But isn't that the way it always is? People vote in a new president, and then expect miracles to happen almost overnight, and when they don't (of course), then they get the mindset of "kick the bum out and get Mr New President in here and he'll do the job right". Oh sure.....:rolleyes:....don't we wish it was that simple??? The only thing that's simple, is the way of thinking of these people.

Karen
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I will be glad when the election season is over, and I get fewer calls for political robocallers, and this time around, I have even gotten junk mail - I mean ads - from both sides of the close Senate contest. I usually don't get much, as I am registered as an "unenrolled" voter, which when I first did it, meant I got virtually NO junk mail, which was great! For a short time, someone had mistakenly put me down as one party, and I got swamped, I quickly went to City Hall and switched back to "unenrolled" as in, "I'll vote how I want to vote, thanks!"

pomtzu
10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I will be glad when the election season is over, and I get fewer calls for political robocallers, and this time around, I have even gotten junk mail - I mean ads - from both sides of the close Senate contest. I usually don't get much, as I am registered as an "unenrolled" voter, which when I first did it, meant I got virtually NO junk mail, which was great! For a short time, someone had mistakenly put me down as one party, and I got swamped, I quickly went to City Hall and switched back to "unenrolled" as in, "I'll vote how I want to vote, thanks!"

I'm with ya, Karen, as I'm not registered as a Democrat or Republican either, so I get the junk mail and calls from all parties. And as far as who I vote for - I just say "the lesser of the 2 evils"! :eek:

david p
10-25-2012, 08:53 AM
I, for one, can't wait for november 7th because all those political commercials will FINALLY be off my tv screen!

Steve Arnold
10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I keep the television off most of the time now, the commercials are driving me crazy. Iowa is a swing state and the polls show a tight race here, so we are bombarded. It was reported that there are 1558 political commercials on Iowa television every day. Not to mention the fact that Obama, Romney, Ryan and Biden are all practically living here - all for six electoral votes.

RICHARD
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Pat Paulsen!

david p
10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Pat Paulsen!

RICHARD, Pat Paulsen would've beat BOTH of them!!

dab_20
10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Although I have not voted, I would vote for Obama. Being that I live in UTAH, I know my vote for Obama has no say, and honestly don't want to bother going to vote. I know, I know, I should exercise my rights. No way in h*ll would a Democrat be even close to winning a vote here in Utah, especially when a mormon is in the running :rolleyes:. This is also why I hate the electoral college process.

Although Obama isn't perfect, he certainly isn't bad. I don't like Romney, and I don't agree with A LOT of what he says.

I have no doubt that Obama will win. Too many people dislike Romney, especially among the younger generation.

Steve Arnold
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Although I have not voted, I would vote for Obama. Being that I live in UTAH, I know my vote for Obama has no say, and honestly don't want to bother going to vote. I know, I know, I should exercise my rights. No way in h*ll would a Democrat be even close to winning a vote here in Utah, especially when a mormon is in the running :rolleyes:. This is also why I hate the electoral college process.

Although Obama isn't perfect, he certainly isn't bad. I don't like Romney, and I don't agree with A LOT of what he says.

I have no doubt that Obama will win. Too many people dislike Romney, especially among the younger generation.

I read a couple of days ago that in Salt Lake City itself, Obama is actually leading Romney in the polls.

One of my worries is that Romney will win the popular vote but Obama will win the electoral vote. Although the last time this happened (Bush / Gore) there wasn't much of a stink; but I'll bet if Romney loses that way there will be quite ruckus. So in that regard, every vote counts when you tally up that popular vote.

As one who has long favored abolishing the electoral college, I've been told that "if the electoral college goes, no presidential candidate will bother setting foot in Iowa again ... " which, I can tell you, might not be such a bad thing!

Lady's Human
10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Without the Electoral College, a candidate could theoretically campaign in urban population centers and never give one whit of consideration to anyone outside a city.

The electoral college ensures that ALL states have a say in the election of the President.

As to not voting because "your vote doesn't count"? Find a 3rd party candidate you like and maybe help push that party over the (IIRC) 5% bar so they can get matching funding for the next election cycle.

By the by, I'll see your Pat Paulsen and raise you a Lyndon LaRouche.

Randi
10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Of course, I can't vote in the US, but if I could it would definitely be B. Obama! I'm glad to see that the American people I know here, will too. :)

RICHARD
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Taylor Swift has another broken heart and you are all worried about who is going to be prez for the next 4 years......

That's really creepy.

Karen
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Actually, on most ballots there are other matters to vote on, many affecting you locally, as well as Senate and House seats, local officials, etc. So please go vote, and even if you don't make a choice in the matter of the Presidential race, your votes will counts in other important matters.

Plus, personally I find it kinda sad when we have a low voter turnout, as people all over the world have to fight to vote, our ancestors had to fight to vote, our great-grandmothers and grandmothers had to fight to get women the right to vote ... we owe it to them to get our butts to the polls and vote!

JuniorxMyxLove
10-27-2012, 03:44 PM
I sent in my absentee ballot a few weeks ago c: This is the first time I voted! I was pretty pumped.
That said, I voted for Obama and I do really hope he wins. Mittens and I disagree on far too many things and I have far too little respect for him for me to ever want him as president.
I'm at a college campus that is overwhelmingly in support of Obama (which is to be expected, as I really only know one or two people in my age group who aren't voting for Obama). It's kind of awesome.

Buddy_Lee
10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Just a few observations.

Having a discussion with a Democrat is like having a discussion with your Ex-wife. If you say anything they disagree with you get cursed, called names (ignorant and bully are popular these days), then they run away in tears to plot your death.

If the Pentagon wants Battleships or an Ambassador wants protection, at the very least send them "horses and bayonettes".

The rest of the world wants a weakened U.S. Military too, just like our current president.

A precedent has been set, the POTUS now needs good knees. All that bowing to our enemies and such.

Thank You.;)

Lady's Human
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Just a few observations.

Having a discussion with a Democrat is like having a discussion with your Ex-wife. If you say anything they disagree with you get cursed, called names (ignorant and bully are popular these days), then they run away in tears to plot your death.

If the Pentagon wants Battleships or an Ambassador wants protection, at the very least send them "horses and bayonettes".

The rest of the world wants a weakened U.S. Military too, just like our current president.

A precedent has been set, the POTUS now needs good knees. All that bowing to our enemies and such.

Thank You.;)

There just aren't words for this level of ignorance.......

Grace
10-27-2012, 05:37 PM

Thank you, LH.

Lady's Human
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
By the by:

I'm not a Democrat,However, I'm not a republican either.

I think that after 20+ years in uniform one could safely say that the next day I "run away in tears to plot your death" would be the first.

Congress keeps ramming weapons systems through that the Pentagon doesn't even necessarily WANT, wasting money that could be spent on what they need.

I could take pages to refute this, but won't.

Just wanted to clarify a couple little niggling issues.

caseysmom
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Scary

Lady's Human
10-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Would Massachusetts keep the Senatorial race propaganda in Massachusetts , please?

I live in NY and both Sen. Brown and Elizabeth Warren are sending mer mail begging for my vote and contributions.

Karen
10-28-2012, 08:55 AM
I think there's just so much money pouring in from outside MA that we're so saturated its spilling over!

redbird
10-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Hopefully there will be no change in the White House this year.

Roxyluvsme13
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
My Pappy would roll over in his grave, but Obama for sure.

I don't like anything that's ever come out of Romney's mouth.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Doesn't really matter who I vote for, Kansas ALWAYS goes Rebuplican. :rolleyes:
I have little hope for things getting better no matter who is in the Oval office. The dems controlled the comgress for the first half of Obama's term: nothing got done. The Repubs controlled it the second half: nothing got done. Besides no matter who loses: it is all hurricane, Sandy's fault. It will mess up voting somehow. ;):love:

pomtzu
10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Besides no matter who loses: it is all hurricane, Sandy's fault. It will mess up voting somehow. ;):love:

Can't you just imagine the chaos if Sandy struck next week? Does anyone know if a natural disaster ever disrupted an Election Day? I wonder how that situation would be handled? Of course if I was really all that curious about it, I'm sure Google could give me the answer. :p.

Alysser
10-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Just a few observations.

Have you ever WATCHED fox news? I would assume you have, but you apparently don't pay much attention to the way Bill O'Reilly reacts the minute you go against him, yelling over the person until he wants to "End" the segment. How about the way Christine O'Donnell walked off the Pearce Morgan interview when he asked her a question she didn't like? Everyone has the heir that they are always right on FOX. Same with MSNBC, so stop acting all high and mighty. Radical Republicans are NO better in the way they act than the way Rad. Democrats react when their views are put down.

Gotta love hypocrisy.

RICHARD
10-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Have you ever WATCHED fox news? I would assume you have, but you apparently don't pay much attention to the way Bill O'Reilly reacts the minute you go against him, yelling over the person until he wants to "End" the segment. How about the way Christine O'Donnell walked off the Pearce Morgan interview when he asked her a question she didn't like? Everyone has the heir that they are always right on FOX. Same with MSNBC, so stop acting all high and mighty. Radical Republicans are NO better in the way they act than the way Rad. Democrats react when their views are put down.

Gotta love hypocrisy.

I am partial to Chris Matthews foaming at the mouth and spitting on his side of the tube.

Whoever wins? One side will be spitting, cursing and name calling.

The best part is AFTER the election when people are acting out like the losers they are on television.

Alysser
10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I am partial to Chris Matthews foaming at the mouth and spitting on his side of the tube.

Whoever wins? One side will be spitting, cursing and name calling.

The best part is AFTER the election when people are acting out like the losers they are on television.

Oh I know they all act like idiots. Well most of 'em..even the Democrats. It's always refreshing to see some that don't yell their opinions in the face of their guests, or yell until the segment ends, or get mad and have a temper tantrum on TV.

It just amazes me how one-sided his post was. You can't argue with a democrat...right but I forgot everyone on FOX is so calm.

LOL, that is the best part of the election.:D

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Please try. I am interested to understand your thought process.

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Thank you, LH.

You should try also.

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
By the by:

I'm not a Democrat,However, I'm not a republican either.

I think that after 20+ years in uniform one could safely say that the next day I "run away in tears to plot your death" would be the first.

Congress keeps ramming weapons systems through that the Pentagon doesn't even necessarily WANT, wasting money that could be spent on what they need.

I could take pages to refute this, but won't.

Just wanted to clarify a couple little niggling issues.

First, thank you for your service to our country. I mean that sincerely.

However, I do believe the Pentagon requested additional Battleships.

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
My Pappy would roll over in his grave, but Obama for sure.

I don't like anything that's ever come out of Romney's mouth.

Can you be more specific. Platitudes are not conducive to an intelligent exchange.

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Hopefully there will be no change in the White House this year.

Didn't you vote for Hope and Change four years ago?

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Doesn't really matter who I vote for, Kansas ALWAYS goes Rebuplican. :rolleyes:
I have little hope for things getting better no matter who is in the Oval office. The dems controlled the comgress for the first half of Obama's term: nothing got done. The Repubs controlled it the second half: nothing got done. Besides no matter who loses: it is all George Bush's fault. It will mess up voting somehow. ;):love:

Sorry MOFF, I couldn't resist.;)

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM
It just amazes me how one-sided his post was. You can't argue with a democrat...right but I forgot everyone on MSNBC is so calm.

LOL, that is the best part of the election.:D

HeeHee!

Buddy_Lee
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Gotta love hypocrisy.

I do not watch Fox news or any other television news cast for that matter. I read several respected publications and discriminate as to which reports I find credible or not. If you find my attempts of posting in an adult manner "all high and mighty" that is regrettable. I know of no other way to communicate my thoughts. Lastly, I for one do not love hypocrisy.

Hellow
10-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Speaking strictly in terms of statistics, Romney is gaining in popular vote against Obama, but Obama is predicted to take most of the major electoral college states, so he still holds the lead in those terms. The election will probably end up being where Romney wins the popular vote, but Obama wins the electoral college votes, and thus wins the election.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/romney-vs-obama-electoral-map?hw is my reference for this.

Personally, I don't necessarily like either choice. They both have major flaws.

Lady's Human
10-30-2012, 04:00 AM
First, thank you for your service to our country. I mean that sincerely.

However, I do believe the Pentagon requested additional Battleships.

The Pentagon hasn't requested battleships in decades, and the ones they did have were forced on them by Congress under Reagan to create the 600 ship Navy.

Next?

Congress's meddling combined with BuShips ineptitude wastes billion annually. Before they spend another dime they should fix the procurement system.

Lady's Human
10-30-2012, 04:04 AM
If you find my attempts of posting in an adult manner "all high and mighty" that is regrettable.

This is an adult manner?

LMFAO!

It just doesn't get much more juvenile than that.

cassiesmom
10-30-2012, 05:19 AM
The Chicago Tribune endorsed Barack Obama. I haven't read the whole endorsement, though. This is only the second time in the Trib's history that they have endorsed the Democratic candidate. The first time was also Obama.

Kirsten
10-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm just wondering to which degree hurricane Sandy will affect the election? I mean, with all this damage at the East Coast, power outage and everything and all these people who lost their homes, it would surprise me if the infrastructure could be restored right on time to carry out the election at all? :confused:

Bonny
10-30-2012, 07:06 AM
The Chicago Tribune endorsed Barack Obama. I haven't read the whole endorsement, though. This is only the second time in the Trib's history that they have endorsed the Democratic candidate. The first time was also Obama.

We received the Sunday Des Moines Register & there was a 5 page endorsement on Mitt & his family. There are 3 other major papers in Iowa that are supporting Mitt. We thought that next Sunday there would be an endorsement on Obama & his family too. It has been 40 years since the Register has supported a Republican candidate.

It is going to be a nip & tuck race.

caseysmom
10-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Didn't you vote for Hope and Change four years ago?

Yes I did and thank god we did get some hope and change, our economy was on the brink of a full depression thanks to president Bush, considering how you started your side of this debate I wouldn't think you deserve any response.

Alysser
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes I did and thank god we did get some hope and change, our economy was on the brink of a full depression thanks to president Bush, considering how you started your side of this debate I wouldn't think you deserve any response.

You go, Mom!!:D

caseysmom
10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
You go, Mom!!:D

Thanks daughter!

Buddy_Lee
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
The Pentagon hasn't requested battleships in decades, and the ones they did have were forced on them by Congress under Reagan to create the 600 ship Navy.

Next?

Congress's meddling combined with BuShips ineptitude wastes billion annually. Before they spend another dime they should fix the procurement system.

Please, isn't it shameful enough for Obama to blame George Bush for his failures. For you to blame Reagan is absurd. If you would like to dig up historic dirt, try remembering the presidential DNA of Bill Clinton and lying under oath.

Lady's Human
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
It's far from absurd to bring up Reagan, particularly in the context mentioned.

Pres. Reagan and Sec.Def wanted a 600 ship Navy.

The US didn't have the yard construction assets to make it reality, however, there were 4 perfectly good Iowa class hulls available sitting in mothballs.

Solution? Upgrade and restore the Iowas to service, giving the US the number of hulls Pres. Reagan wanted in the fleet. The Navy, however, did not want them. They are far too manpower intensive for their taste, but they were forced on the Navy by Congress and others.

You mentioned Battleships.

The only battleships in service since WW2 are the 4 Iowas.

That's their tale, Pres. Reagan was directly involved.

Please, converse as an adult and stop trying to twist statements. If you can't discuss issues in an adult manner without deriding people who disagree with you and can easily back up those disagreements with proof in the form of facts, maybe you shouldn't be in this discussion?

Buddy_Lee
10-30-2012, 05:55 PM

What you got was a 16+ TRILLION dollar deficit with nothing to show for it. The Democratic congress railroaded Bush into the unwise decision of relaxing the need for a good credit rating to qualify for a mortgage. When they all defaulted was when the recession started and was the cause of it.

My first post was a list of observations, not debate.

If you would like to debate I will entertain your wishes. But I expect you will respond by saying "I wouldn't think you deserve any response". This strategy gives you a fealing of taking the moral high ground while avoiding any serious discussion. A tried and true liberal strategy.

Buddy_Lee
10-30-2012, 05:59 PM
It's far from absurd to bring up Reagan, particularly in the context mentioned.

Pres. Reagan and Sec.Def wanted a 600 ship Navy.

The US didn't have the yard construction assets to make it reality, however, there were 4 perfectly good Iowa class hulls available sitting in mothballs.

Solution? Upgrade and restore the Iowas to service, giving the US the number of hulls Pres. Reagan wanted in the fleet. The Navy, however, did not want them. They are far too manpower intensive for their taste, but they were forced on the Navy by Congress and others.

You mentioned Battleships.

The only battleships in service since WW2 are the 4 Iowas.

That's their tale, Pres. Reagan was directly involved.

Please, converse as an adult and stop trying to twist statements. If you can't discuss issues in an adult manner without deriding people who disagree with you and can easily back up those disagreements with proof in the form of facts, maybe you shouldn't be in this discussion?

Please show me where I derided you. I merely disagreed. Are you overly sensitive to disagreement?

Lady's Human
10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Your first post in this thread was at once juvenile and derisive. After that, all posts are viewed in that light.

You also automatically assume that anyone who doesn't agree with your jingostic pap is a liberal.

Again, false, and to assume so (as you do repeatedly in your responses) is completely juvenile. I think you're missing the second hour of Savage Nation, so please, don't let us distract you.

caseysmom
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Please show me where I derided you. I merely disagreed. Are you overly sensitive to disagreement?

Can you read your above sentence? How immature is this?

And no what I got was a president that slowed the recession and stopped an economic collapse, he saved wall street, he saved the auto industry, he ended the war in Iraq, he relaxed anti american sentiment around the world and he is on the verge of passing universal health care.

Buddy_Lee
10-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Your first post in this thread was at once juvenile and derisive. After that, all posts are viewed in that light.

You also automatically assume that anyone who doesn't agree with your jingostic pap is a liberal.

Again, false, and to assume so (as you do repeatedly in your responses) is completely juvenile. I think you're missing the second hour of Savage Nation, so please, don't let us distract you.

I'll have to conclude that you cannot show me where I derided you then.:D

Buddy_Lee
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM

Can you read your above sentence? How immature is this?

And no what I got was a president that slowed the recession and stopped an economic collapse, he saved wall street, he saved the auto industry, he ended the war in Iraq, he relaxed anti american sentiment around the world and he is on the verge of passing universal health care.

Is it so unfathomable that I may have wanted to apologize if I had indeed derided that poster? I will let you answer your own question as to how immature it is to want to maintain a civil exchange.

pomtzu
10-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey Buddy_Lee --- did you actually vote in my poll or are you just using this thread to get up on your soapbox and spout off? Perhaps you should change "a little crabby", to "just a big old crab". :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
10-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I'll have to conclude that you cannot show me where I derided you then.:D

Your first post was derisive to everyone who disagrees with you. It basically stated that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, and can't back up an argument but will instead run away in tears without discussing.

Quit being a condescending, smarmy fool.

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM

Applause...applause!! Insulting women and people who disagree with you at once! Is "retard*" one of those names called?

One good thing about living in California - very few national political ads! But, and I can only speak for the radio, we are inundated with commericals for "initiatives". This baffles me. If you are going to elect people to govern - why all the initiatives? I totally do not trust any of the initiatives. I was once asked to sign a petition for a ballot initiative to change someone from having a defined benefit pension plan to a defined contribution pension plan. I replied I would sign it if the person could tell me the difference. They could not. They get paid for each signature they get! There is someone behind the initiative with a bunch of money who stands to personally gain from the initiative (in my non-aligned opinion!)

I was told when I registered to vote here eight years ago that if I did not register Republican the person doing the registration would not get paid. Haven't registered with a party since my first registration at 18 - not about to start now. Guess he didn't get paid!

*reference to Ann Coulter - extreme conservative "celebrity" who called the President of the United States a "retard" after the last debate.

Randi
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't understand the voting system you have... do you really need to tell someone who (or what party) you vote for? Here, everybody get a voting card by snail mail, you bring that to the school where you vote, queue up and give it to the person sitting by one of several numbered tables (it says on your card which table you go to). Then you give the person your card, he/she finds you on a list, you get crossed off and you get your list with all the parties, then you go into a box and put your cross. Outside, you put that in a big box, and someone is watching you during the whole procedure. That's how we do it.

caseysmom
10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't understand the voting system you have... do you really need to tell someone who (or what party) you vote for? Here, everybody get a voting card by snail mail, you bring that to the school where you vote, queue up and give it to the person sitting by one of several numbered tables (it says on your card which table you go to). Then you give the person your card, he/she finds you on a list, you get crossed off and you get your list with all the parties, then you go into a box and put your cross. Outside, you put that in a big box, and someone is watching you during the whole procedure. That's how we do it.

Yes we can register as democrat or republican so we can vote in those primaries, another words if you are a registered democrat you don't vote in the republican primaries which basically chooses who will run for president on the republican side.

Randi
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
What I don't understand is that you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Why should anyone know that?

pomtzu
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM
What I don't understand is that you have to register as a Democrat or a Republican. Why should anyone know that?

You don't have to register any party affiliation if you don't want to - you just have to be registered to vote tho. I am registered as "independent", tho not of the Independent Party. It simply means I will vote for who I think will do the better job, and not feel obligated to vote as a Dem or Repub - just because I registered as one.

ETA: Just to clarify a little further.........For instance - even if I was registered as a Democrat, I don't have to vote for a Democratic candidate - I can still vote for whoever I choose.

Edwina's Secretary
10-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Just a point - there are states with open primaries. Sometimes only one party has an open primary - which I believe is the case here in California. In Illinois it was all open primary. That means I do not have to be a member of the party in order to vote in the primary - but of course you can only vote in one primary! I would vote in whichever primary interested me.

Funny story with that...years ago my sister, who lived in Newark New Jersey was interested in the Republican primary. She asked for a Republican ballot at her polling place. Having never been asked for one before...they had a hard time finding one!

Randi, declaring a party means to get to vote in that party's election to decide who will be their candidate. In the primary there may be say ...five people who want to be the Republican candidate and four people who want to be the Democratic candidate. Rather than have all nine run against each other - the party holds a "primary" election to determine who will represent the party - one from each party. So it is a two step process.

Kirsten
11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Ahhh, I thought this was cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrthOPLAKM&feature=colike

Not everyone seems to be happy about the election! ;)

From what I read here, the entire voting system sounds a little confusing to me as well with these open primaries and everything. Here in Germany, it's pretty much the same as Randi described from Denmark, you don't have to register anywhere.

Buddy_Lee
11-01-2012, 12:52 PM

From what I read here, the entire voting system sounds a little confusing to me as well with these open primaries and everything. Here in Germany, it's pretty much the same as Randi described from Denmark, you don't have to register anywhere.

Awww, that little girl must have read this thread.:(

Buddy_Lee
11-01-2012, 07:25 PM

First NPR makes her cry, now Bronco's supporters say this:
http://twitchy.com/2012/10/09/new-civility-obama-supporters-threaten-to-riot-if-romney-wins/

Buddy_Lee
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Is "retard*" one of those names called?

I believe YOU just did.

Aren't you proud?

caseysmom
11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
In the last election I heard many people including my neighbros say if Obama wins I will move to another country....guess what...they didn't move.

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I believe YOU just did.

Aren't you proud?

Really? Who did I call that?

Aren't you silly?

Randi
11-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for explaining, but like Kirsten, I still find it a little confusing.

When we vote here, we can choose to vote on a candidate, or on a particular party. No party will get the majority of the votes, so they have to work with usually two other parties to get anything passed. There are 179 seats, so the parties who has 90 seats together will have to negotiate to get anything passed.

To start a new party, in principle it takes 20,000 signatures, but the system is so heavy that in reality it takes more like 60 to 80,000 signatures.

This will explain it a bit more detailed and you can see which parties we have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Denmark

phesina
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Wow, Randi! Is it hard to keep track of them all and what's going on, when it's time to vote in Denmark?

And do your political battles there get as nasty as they do here?

RICHARD
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Here? You vote for who you want to lead the country, they count the votes and someone else wins.

---------------------------------------

Political discussions rarely are civil.

I have seen rational people act like idiots because a point or side is challenged.

Ma had a saying and it fits the people who are so enamoured of an idea (person) that they cannot see any other point of view.

Por el culo, le miran el sol.

I don't own sunglasses, so I am immune to the idea.

-------------------------

A guy in the office was whining about the president and just being an obnoxious turd with his comments.

I told him that I wasn't happy about another president getting oral sex in 'my office'.

He stopped and asked me "Your office?"

"Yes, my office, my taxes pay for that office........" I answered.

He stopped the convo, walked around the corner and a few seconds later he said, "You A**hole."

I stopped typing and waited for the followup comments.

About a minute later, he said something like, "I didn't call you an a**hole, I was saying that to another person"

We were the only two people in the office.......

------------------------------

So?

I don't ever take anyone's political views/stance seriously anymore.

The "together we stand as Americans" idea is nice, but when politics enter the picture, all bets are off.

It's just an excuse to insult each other, act like fools and then carry on for the next 1300 days, like nothing ever happened.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The hope part stay eternal.

Buddy_Lee
11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Here's another little dose of modern American politics.

http://theulstermanreport.com/2012/11/01/valerie-jarret-after-we-win-this-election-its-our-turn-payback-time-wsi/

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2012, 11:19 AM
No party will get the majority of the votes, so they have to work with usually two other parties to get anything passed.

Randi - you have just defined the essential difference. Although there are small parties here that may appear on the ballot there are really only two parties - Democratic and Republican. One or the other will get the majority of the votes. And they do not - as we have seen the last four years in spades - have to work with any other party.

(p.s. - we can vote a straight party too - or candidate by candidate)

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Here's another little dose of modern American politics.

http://theulstermanreport.com/2012/11/01/valerie-jarret-after-we-win-this-election-its-our-turn-payback-time-wsi/

Thanks for the best laugh of the day....
This update was forwarded to me by Wall Street Insider who indicated they received it this morning via a direct source associated with Barack Obama’s campaign headquarters in Chicago

I heard it from someone who heard it from someone who indicated they heard it from their second cousin who heard it from a man on the street who heard from an allegedly well placed source.

:D:D:D

Buddy_Lee
11-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the best laugh of the day....

I heard it from someone who heard it from someone who indicated they heard it from their second cousin who heard it from a man on the street who heard from an allegedly well placed source.

It's your life. The least you could do is protect your pets. They shouldn't have to pay for your bad judgement.

Lady's Human
11-02-2012, 10:10 PM
It's your life. The least you could do is protect your pets. They shouldn't have to pay for your bad judgement.

Protect them from what?

The record levels of horse excrement?

Edwina's Secretary
11-02-2012, 10:25 PM

You are adorable! Rest assured I never travel with my dog - or cat - in a crate on the top of my car!

Thanks for my second laugh of the day!

Louie and me
11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I haven't commented in this thread because as I am not American I should mind my own beeswax. However, having read extensively both American and international media and academic analysis and watched all the US TV channels available to me. All I can say is, regardless of who wins this election, you have my sympathy.

Randi
11-03-2012, 10:55 AM
What makes you think that ES isn't protecting her pets? I can assure you that they are taken very well care of - better than most pets.

Randi
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Well, according to this, it looks like the majority on the West coast and the Northern East Coast will vote for Obama. :)

Take a look!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/2012_elections_electoral_college_map.html

pomtzu
11-03-2012, 12:15 PM
What makes you think that ES isn't protecting her pets? I can assure you that they are taken very well care of - better than most pets.

This crab obviously knows squat about ES. A lot of children should be so lucky to be treated the way the E's are treated.

Well, according to this, it looks like the majority on the West coast and the Northern East Coast will vote for Obama. :)

No matter who loses, they will find a way to blame it on Superstorm Sandy. How convenient! :rolleyes:

ChrisH
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
If I were an American this would really worry me.

As Ohio Faces Vote-Rigging Lawsuit, Are Dems, Liberals, Election Officials Ready to Safeguard Votes? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/mia-in-voting-machine-war_b_2054411.html)

momoffuzzyfaces
11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I never EVER never believe any POLLS. They are all slanted one way or the other. Most of them never even include Independent voters. There are LOTS of us out there too.

I did fight the urge to faint today when I got my mail.... not one "vote for" who every flyer in the box at all!!!! Dare we believe this nightmare is almost over? Well, the nightmare of electing a president; not the one of living with who ever is picked for the next four years. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
If I were an American this would really worry me.

As Ohio Faces Vote-Rigging Lawsuit, Are Dems, Liberals, Election Officials Ready to Safeguard Votes? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/mia-in-voting-machine-war_b_2054411.html)

What you don't see in teh UK is that these charges are brought by one side or the other in every federal election cycle, and all that happens is that money is wasted, no real issues are found, and immediately after the fact everyone gets amnesia about the whole mess so we can do it all over again in 2 years.