PDA

View Full Version : my dog, the vegetable picker..

squeesan
09-05-2001, 09:20 PM
I have a 100+lb malamute mix who loves to pick veggies. Whenever I grow cherry tomatos, he picks them off the vine, and brings them inside to play with, and eventually, smush them with his big giant head. I followed him outside yesterday, and watched him go up to the apple tree, pick an apple off, and start throwing it around the yard. He only has 200 toys to play with, so I guess he just wants to get his veggies added into his diet...

Daisy's Mom
09-05-2001, 09:48 PM
LOL what a cute sight that must be! Welcome to Pet Talk, by the way :)

kobieeli
09-05-2001, 11:51 PM
Greetings, squeesan!

We have a plum tree in our backyard, and both dogs LOVE plums! Kobie waits for them to fall, rot, dry out, and get ants in them before selecting the delicacies and enjoying them on the lawn, while Eli has been spotted standing on his hind legs picking ripe ones off the branches. They both eat the entire plum, too--pit and all. Their poop is very interesting looking in the middle of summer, let me tell ya!

Fruits and veggies are great for dogs, as I've heard. Just no onions or grapes--those can be toxic.

tatsxxx11
09-08-2001, 05:52 AM
Welcome squeesan! I can't believe there's another veggie "hog" out there! My lab and husky (x) picked through my veggie garden by mid-July, pulling up every carrot, picking every bean, pea and even the lettuce, including motoring their way through the raspberry patch, not minding the thorns one bit! And now, they have carefully plucked all of the apples off the lower branches of our two trees! They like nothing better than to stretch out on the lawn with a crunchy apple. With the rest of the apples out of reach, they sit beneath the tree and give a "yelp" until I come pick off another treasure! I guess we should be pleased they love their fruits and veggies! Welcome again to Pet Talk!

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

KayAnn
09-08-2001, 01:52 PM
Simba HATES fruits and veggies, the only veggie he likes is potatoes. :rolleyes:

ilovehounds
09-10-2001, 01:35 PM
Ha ha Hannah does the same thing.

For the past two years my dads apples have been disapearing off his trees and we could not figure out what was taking them, we thought maybe a deer but with two hounds they would have told us a deer was in the yard.

Then one morning this year I heard my dad yell you silly little hound you have been stealing my apples all along. I ran outside to see hannah walking out of the apple orchered carring an apple, she took it to her dog house where she enjoyed the juicy treat.

Now he has his 6 little trees guarded like they are gold :D

C.C.'s Mom
09-22-2001, 05:39 AM
My Golden Retriever puppy eats anything that falls down from the fruit trees in our garden (and from the neighbors as well...). Favorites are plums and wild cherries. She also goes for any flower and plant (as a result my garden now looks more or less like a mudpool with lovely holes for future swimmingpools). She also loves any veggie we eat, including pickles and olives. She's not allowed to get any snacks from us, but sometimes she just seems to get her paws on them anyhow.

Daisy's Mom
09-23-2001, 08:05 PM
That sounds so cute! I hope we can see some puppy pictures :) Welcome to Pet Talk!

NoahsMommy
09-26-2001, 11:03 AM
That is too funny!! I love hearing about the antics of dogs!!!

My aunt has a 2 year old Lab who LOVES to eat carrots!! (She likes almost all people food! :) )

I would LOVE to see a dog picking fruits or veggies....how totally cute!!

jackiesdaisy1935
09-26-2001, 11:44 AM
Welcome Squeezsan, I heard about everyone feeding their dogs vegies to I tried it with Perry and Daisy and found out they love carrots. You learn something new every day.
Jackie

Rita
09-29-2001, 09:08 AM
I found out both my dogs (Shih Tzus) love carrots. I was making a stew and chopping the carrots and they were all over me and I couldn't figure out why. (I have the battle scars on my ankles to prove it) I tossed them both a piece of carrot and they were in heaven. So now everytime, I have carrots, of course, they get some too! Who knew? :rolleyes: null

ktreva52
10-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Welcome to all the new members! I've been off line for so long and the site looks really great.

We used to have a beagle mix that would eat the windfall apples and I regularly give my two girls (JRT & JRx) carrots. Helps with doggie breath and they'll eat anything! I used to have a Cattle Dog mix that would even eat pickles. Green beans are supposed to be really good for them, too. Just don't go overboard and when they're adding to their diets like that, you might want to decrease their regular food so they don't get FAT!