PDA

View Full Version : Please read

Aspen and Misty
11-26-2002, 09:02 PM
My sister is giving me a HUGE tank. Not sure how big but could fit like a dozen rats in there :D . But, My dad has alreayd odered me a nice big wire cage for them so I have a new huge tank and a very big heart and am considering adopting a new animal. I want something fun. I don't care how much work it is, I'm used to work so a hard to care for animal would be fine. I open to all and any suggestions. I was thinking a hedge hog. But I don't know much about them so I'm on my way to do research. I would like ot hear what ya'll think. I really want a skunk but my dad is refusing. I will have to work on it!

Ash

PS: Thank you in advance to those of you who take the time to post.

Fuzzy317
11-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Do I recall that you can have a skunk de-stink? Maybe if thats possible, perhaps your dad would think again?

Uabassoon
11-27-2002, 02:10 AM
I don't think you can keep a skunk in a tank. There's really curious and they like to run around, i don't think it would be happy in a tank. It's kind of like having a cat, they need to run around. And yes they can have their glands removed to keep them from spraying. What about a Chinchilla (sp) or a guinea pig?

Kater
11-27-2002, 02:40 AM
Some ideas from our very own pets of the day....
http://petoftheday.com/archive/1999/May/08.html
http://petoftheday.com/archive/2000/August/22.html
http://petoftheday.com/archive/2002/November/10.html
http://petoftheday.com/archive/2002/July/07.html
http://petoftheday.com/archive/1999/April/09.html

or snakes...but if you have rats maybe that is sort of a conflict of interests. Some people like 'em, some don't.

....granted I haven't done any research as to whether these creatures fair well in aquariums. I'll let you do that part!;)

jenluckenbach
11-27-2002, 06:16 AM
If you aren't thinking about more rats, then I would like to suggest guinea pigs.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:26 PM
First off skunks cannot be kept in a tank! Period! They are very curious critters and they need a huge amount of space, like your whole house, hehe. They usually roam the house and are kept in a kennel at night, like those that you sometimes see kittens in at the petshop, the wire ones. Skunks are VERY hard to take care of. You need to have exactly the proper diet or there is risk of obesity and diabetes. Yes they can be descented and this is usually done before they are sold, while still young. They must also be spayed or neatuered before you purchase one. DO NOT buy an unaltered skunk! Females if not bred when in heat will die, and males become overly agressiv and territorial. Trust me I have had a bunch of skunks and know them all too well. Not a kids pet at all. They need attention 24/7 and you have to always be on guard with these guys. They need a specific diet which is pretty spendy. Do you know how big they get? Most are bigger than cats. Can you imagine keeping a cat in a tank? Not such a good idea.

;)

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:35 PM
As for degus, these eas easily maintained in an aquarium type setting. However you need to provide a solid running wheel and the tank needs to be more than 15 gallons. A twenty gallon would be sufficient for a pair. They also need to have branches to climb on and chew. They CANNOT have sugar because they cannot digest it, however apples they can have but in moderation. Sugar causes diabetes and also cataracts in degus.
You need to be very careful of their tail because it can be 'skinned" which means if you grab the tail the skin will slip. It will come off exposing the bone, flesh and muscle. You will then need to amputate it.

Hedeghogs also would fair fine in a tank. They need to stay very warm though because if they get too cold they can go into hybernation and die. You must not let your hedgehog get too cold. I provide an undertank heater during the winter time as well as lots of fluff and extra protein such as chicken and ground beef.

Duprasi can also be kept in a tank. Their tails are the same for the degu as well as gerbils, which I would also highly recommend. If you like the more exotic pets, maybe some zebra mice or spiny mice? Sugar gliders would not be a good idea because the need a tall wire cage which allows them to glide, one that can fit plenty of branches.

It is also a good idea that you get same sex pairs and also make sure you check with your local Fish and Wildlife to see whether keeping certain exotics are legal in your area. I would suggest getting the same sex for exotics because you need to be USDA licensed if you live in the US to sell or breed exotic pets.

But yes guinea pigs are also a good idea. What about a rabbit?

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Chinchillas would not be good either as they need to have stories in the cage to climb.

Here is a pic of one of my degus.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Another degu pic.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Gerbils

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Chinchilly Willy

Desert Arabian
11-27-2002, 03:15 PM
To me Degus look like little mini Capybaras (sp??), with long tails.

I think I rabbit would be a good critter to keep in a HUGE tank.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
To me Degus look like little mini Capybaras (sp??), with long tails.

I think I rabbit would be a good critter to keep in a HUGE tank.

They do! Their faces are almost exactly alike, only that they are about five times smaller, hehe. :p

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Here is a pic of my guinea pig. :D

You should get one of these!!!! I love my guinea pigs, they are absolutely the cutest things ever and they love to communicate with you.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Forgot the pic lol, Here it is.

Aspen and Misty
11-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
First off skunks cannot be kept in a tank! Period!

;)

I was not planning on keepin a skunk in a tank. We have a spare bedroom with nothing in it that would be the perfect place for a skunk. It has no where to ecape and the closet would make a nice den with a little bit of work. THen during the day it would be aloud to roam free in the house. BTW, they make Cat cages, some people do keep cats in cages, not in tanks, but they are cages. The tank is a 30 gallon tank. I was thinking about Guine pigs, but again I have not done my reserach just yet. I wanted to see what animals ya'll thought might do well in a tank. I want something that will sit kinda still in my lap while I watch tv. I really want a guinie pig and my pet store has the cutest ones right now. I'm off to do my research on all the animals you posted. THanx everyone!

Ash

ps: Thanx for Bringing to my attention that Skunks can not be kept in tanks. I love that about ya'll, I know this sounds strange but I love the fact that you guys will very sternly state what you can and can not do to an animal. Its so great.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty

I was not planning on keepin a skunk in a tank. We have a spare bedroom with nothing in it that would be the perfect place for a skunk. It has no where to ecape and the closet would make a nice den with a little bit of work. THen during the day it would be aloud to roam free in the house. BTW, they make Cat cages, some people do keep cats in cages, not in tanks, but they are cages. The tank is a 30 gallon tank. I was thinking about Guine pigs, but again I have not done my reserach just yet. I wanted to see what animals ya'll thought might do well in a tank. I want something that will sit kinda still in my lap while I watch tv. I really want a guinie pig and my pet store has the cutest ones right now. I'm off to do my research on all the animals you posted. THanx everyone!

Ash

ps: Thanx for Bringing to my attention that Skunks can not be kept in tanks. I love that about ya'll, I know this sounds strange but I love the fact that you guys will very sternly state what you can and can not do to an animal. Its so great.

Well I am glad to hear that. I did mention that they have those wire cages in a post.
"They usually roam the house and are kept in a kennel at night, like those that you sometimes see kittens in at the petshop, the wire ones. "

It would be awesome to get a skunk and I like them a lot better than cats..... They have very ncie colors such as platinum! But again if you get a skunk do plenty of reasearch, which I am sure you will. And ah, missy!, you better post plenty of pictures when you get your new pet/pets! :D

You know how I like those cute little critters.

Hedgehogs are sort of cuddly if you get them as babies. My hedgie is very friendly. Guinea pigs would be really good. Oh hey! How about a tortoise like a sulcata? I have a tortoise also. hehe

Oh I know! You should get some geckos or a bearded dragon. hehehehehahahha. Man that is a tough decision. I would want everything imaginable, lol. I think you should get a cute wittle bunny too. ;)

Aspen and Misty
11-27-2002, 08:22 PM
I think I am getting a Bunny. I can't resist! Everytime I see those cute bunny faces on here I want one myself! So. I am going to be getting a baby one, they have them at a pet store around here. I am going to have to keep it in the tank till I have it litter trained but after that it has the run of my room and probly the house if Chewy can adjust. I just think a bunny is a great choice for me and they live fairly long. Thank you for all the help!

Ash

pa: I'm going to start another thread to get some info from Bunny owners or people who know alot about them. I want to know the basics, what kind of treats they like, things like that.

primabella
11-28-2002, 06:17 PM
awww...your so lucky!! :D:D i would so go for the hedge hog!! lol..they are so cute! :):)

HoRsELUvR
12-01-2002, 12:49 PM
a bunny sounds nice too,and much easier than a skunk.they are very cute and you are very lucky.guinea pigs are nice too.actually you have lots of good pet choices open to you.good luck with your new pet!

ChewmonkeyBC
12-19-2002, 06:12 PM
Rabbits are neat,I had two......if you want one that wont get too big get a dwarf rabbit.....i had a California Meat Rabbit named Alexa and she was really sweet,but if you want one to keep inside you might want to get a dwarf rabbit.........if you have any questions feel free to ask!Id love to help!

-Kay

FCR:)