PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeep!!!!

NoahsMommy
11-26-2002, 03:36 PM
We were at the shelter last weekend and were sitting, playing with four cats in the outdoor cat run when a "woman" (she looked about 12) came up the the fence. She was complaining that the shelter wouldn't allow her to adopt a kitten until Tuesday (today...eeep!). I explained to her that the kittens were still bonding with their mothers, learning how to be a kitten...blank stare. I then told her that kittens had to be kept for a certain amount of time before they were adoptable...another blank stare. Next, I explained that they may be too young...blank stare again. Finally, I told her the kittens may be S-I-C-K (no sense wasting my time explaining URI to her) and she finally got it. :rolleyes: This "explanation" didn't seem to put any understanding into her, she was just as annoyed and walked away. About five or ten minutes later, she brought her son-who looked high energy and just as "not all there" as his mother-over and asked if he could come in and pet the cats we were with. We are still new and don't know if they were allowed in, so my hubby said what we were told, that the cats were agressively loving, that they scratch and hold onto you with they lick your hands....blank stare from both of them...away they go.

About ten more minutes later on of the staff came over and we were talking (our new friend! :) ) about cats and the shelter. I asked her about people coming into the outside pens. She said it was OK as long as we were there, regarding children, its OK as long as the parent is close by. I asked about this specific parent/child and she rolled her eyes. This lead to me asking how easy it was to adopt a cat at the shelter. She told me its not too hard to qualify, but that they would refuse an animal if the family was questionable. Hopefully this girl and her son wont be able to get a kitten...I would be really, really scared for it. :( :( :(

NoahsMommy
11-26-2002, 03:43 PM
hee hee....I just called the shelter and warned them not to give this person a kitten....

That wasn't mean, was it?

moosmom
11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Noah'sMommy,

I always go with my gut instincts. And I'm glad they're looking out for the furbabies in their care. As far as the kid is concerned, does Jeffrey Dahmer ring a bell?????? :eek:

As far as calling the shelter, I think you did the right thing. At least you gave them a heads up on those people. I'd rather have a disappointed family with no cat, than to read about a dead cat in the paper.

Lillycat
11-27-2002, 01:45 AM
what a day for concern at the shelter!

NoahsMommy
11-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks! You've made me feel better...I needed input from a fellow kitty/animal lover. :)

I do feel I did the right thing, all I have been thinking about is the sweet, baby, long-haired calico that I held last week. Her face was absolutely precious! Glad she wont be going to that home.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-27-2002, 12:27 PM
I don't think you were wrong for calling them... hopefully that lady will come to her senses and buy her kid a stuffed animal..;)