PDA

View Full Version : stuffing is good for you, so eat it with your turkey this year!

luckies4me
11-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Here is something I got off AOL that I thought may be of interests to you all. It is very interesting. :)

Stuffing Rich in Antioxidants

By Jeanie Davis
WebMD Medical News

Nov. 8, 2002 -- Stuffing yourself with holiday stuffing may actually have some health benefit. Turns out, bread crust is loaded with cancer-fighting antioxidants.

A group of German scientists published these findings in the Nov. 6 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Previous studies have suggested that bread contains compounds that have cancer-fighting potential. However, most of the focus has been on dietary fiber, writes study researcher Thomas Hofmann, PhD, professor at the University of Munster in Germany.

This is the first study to identify a cancer-fighting compound concentrated in the crust, says Hofmann in a news release.

To test their theory, the researchers first baked a conventional sourdough bread containing rye and wheat flour. They then analyzed the bread crust, bread crumbs (the paler, softer part of the loaf), and the flour for antioxidant content and activity.

In the crust, they found eight times more of an antioxidant called pronyl-lysine than in the crumbs. The original flour contained none of the compound.

Pronyl-lysine is formed during baking in both yeast-based and yeast-free bread.

To see if pronyl-lysine is absorbed in the body, researchers tested it with human intestinal cells. They found that pronyl-lysine significantly boosted the level of certain enzymes that play a role in cancer prevention, studies show.

The next step: To determine whether bread crust and pronyl-lysine actually boost antioxidant levels in the blood. The German researchers are currently conducting those tests.

The antioxidant is likely to be more abundant when bread is broken down into smaller pieces and baked, as with stuffing, because the smaller pieces contain more surface area on which these reactions can occur in comparison to larger bread products, like loaves and buns, Hofmann says.

Dark-colored breads (such as pumpernickel and wheat) contain higher amounts of these antioxidants than light-colored breads (such as white bread). Strong over-browning of bread, however, reduces the level of these antioxidants, he adds.

© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Interesting eh? Do any of you guys eat stuffing?

NoahsMommy
11-27-2002, 12:18 PM
I don't really like stuffing, but I do eat toast...so it works for me too. :)

I bet it gets even healthier when cranberries, apples, raisins are added. Cool.

catland
11-27-2002, 01:51 PM
The stuffing is my favorite part of the entire meal. http://www.plauder-smilies.com/square/bigsquaregrin.gif

Thanks for sharing the information.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 03:38 PM
I don't like stuffing when there is celery in it, I hate celery!:p

However this year I am going to make some with apples and peaches, sourdough bread and pupernickle. Should taste good, I got the recipe from my dad and he's a chef so it better taste good!!!

The Cat Factory
11-27-2002, 05:37 PM
I like stuffing, but not Turkey:eek:

neko1
11-27-2002, 05:49 PM
thank god there's other people who don't like stuffing! I thought I was the only one!

Soledad
11-27-2002, 05:55 PM
I find most stuffings to be pretty gross. My mom makes a meat stuffing that is delicious, though.

NoahsMommy
11-27-2002, 06:11 PM
People here at work were talking about cooking turkeys and stuffing and gravy...all made with the innards. YUCK!

But then, I'm the type of person that tells herself that the chicken, turkey and beef I eat comes only from the grocery store...not animals. ;)

mugsy
11-27-2002, 09:45 PM
I like MOST stuffing. I don't care for sage dressing simply because I don't particularly like sage. I'll have to tell my dad that, he LOVES stuffing with LOTS of onions, the more the better.

RockyRoad
11-27-2002, 10:27 PM
I looove stuffing. As long as it does not have garlic or onions in it I'm fine. I HATE Garlic and Onions!! Yuck! Smelly! Lol. Infact, it's my favorite part of Thanlsgiving!!:) Heh, I saw that article too!:)

Soledad
11-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Without garlic and onions food would be EXTREMELY boring to me. Must be my Spanish upbringing.

luckies4me
11-27-2002, 11:34 PM
I love garlic and love it in food, yummy! I hate onions though, they are the grosest thing ever, lol.

Innards!:eek:

I cook those for my pets. :D

Nomilynn
11-27-2002, 11:38 PM
I love stuffing.. it's so yummy. It isn't thanksgiving up here though so we already had Thanksgiving :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-28-2002, 12:23 AM
I love the kind of stuffing that my Mom makes. I have tried a few that I didn't like though.

COCatMama
11-28-2002, 08:31 AM
i LOVE my mom's dressing (that's stuffing for you guys) she makes me a big batch of it that wasn't in the bird and it's meatless....yum dressing and mashed spuds and brocolli with CHEESE SAUCE on it
i also looooooovvvvvvve cranberry sauce, and not the yucky canned stuff but home made.......drool

lynnestankard
11-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Ooohhh Stuffing - gorgeous!! While you're all enjoying you're Thanksgiving Dinner - spare a thought for us poor Brits., who have to wait 'til Christmas Day for our BIG Turkey Dinner!! I have to make THE biggest amount of stuffing imaginable - and thats just for myself and Don!! Anyway not long to wait 'til Dec. 25th!!
Enjoy your Thanksgiving everybody over in USA!

Lynne

mugsy
11-28-2002, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry you have to wait another 3 weeks for your turkey dinner. Just think, if the Pilgrims hadn't raised such a ruckus about the Anglican Church, we Americans wouldn't be celebrating either!! lol

luckies4me
11-28-2002, 08:45 PM
I love canned cranberry sauce, it is soooo yummy!!!:p

krazyaboutkatz
11-29-2002, 12:52 AM
My Mom makes the best cranberry relish. It's to die for. :D

AmberLee
12-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
My Mom makes the best cranberry relish. It's to die for. :D

Any thoughts about posting her recipe in the recipe thread?

HINT *** HINT *** HINT

Hee, hee, hee

krazyaboutkatz
12-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee

Any thoughts about posting her recipe in the recipe thread?

HINT *** HINT *** HINT

Hee, hee, hee AmberLee, I'd need to get her recipe first. I've never made it before. I don't really cook much. :)

luckies4me
12-02-2002, 11:20 AM
OOh, please get it and post it! I would love to know how to make it myself. :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
OOh, please get it and post it! I would love to know how to make it myself. :) Okay, I'll ask my Mom for the recipe. I think you need a food processer though to chop it up fairly fine. I guess a blender would work too. :)