PDA

View Full Version : Too soon???

Cookiebaker
11-25-2002, 07:58 PM
In case you missed it, we lost our very dear Azure-birdie last Wednesday evening. :( Now I'm in a muddle because we are thinking of getting another bird. Rilla is so lonely now, and doesn't sing very much. She's just kind of sitting there like a bump on a log. Is it too soon to be thinking of getting another?? I'm so torn...I'm not sure that I am ready, but is that being selfish??

TheAntiPam
11-25-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm far from a bird expert, but I would think that getting a companion bird for your Rilla would be a high priority. Maybe someone more experienced can say for sure. Lonely animals don't fare very well, in my humble opinion.

As for the human factor - There is no perfect waiting time after the loss of a beloved friend. If circumstances indicate you need get a bird, then go right ahead. The love you show a new birdie will be a reflection of all that love you got from Azure.

Don't get caught up in "should" or "shouldn't" - listen to your Rilla's needs - and you'll do the right thing.

Best wishes to all that miss Azure!

anna_66
11-25-2002, 08:22 PM
I think if you feel like your ready, then you are. Some people need another pet right away & other don't. If you feel like it's time, get another!

Vermontcat
11-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Cookiebaker, how long have you had your two birds together?
If you had your Azure bird first and Rilla has never been an only bird I am sure he is missing his feathered friend.
Does Rilla perk up for you when you interact with him now or not at all?
I would say if not for you, but for your bird go ahead and get a new bird. I think that a new feathered friend may perk up your lonely bird.
I have a feeling that Popcornbird will also tell you to get a new birdie.;)

Uabassoon
11-25-2002, 09:34 PM
I went through the same thing when my cat Zasper died. Corkscrew was so lonely, and he would walk around the house looking for her, it was so sad to watch. And I was scared that it was too soon to get another cat, but I decided that I would look around not rush into anything but I told myself that if I found the right cat for me I would get it. Then I found Tibby and just knew that she would be the perfect cat for me and Corkscrew, and I was right. When I first got her home I was really sad because I felt like I was replacing Zasper, but then I realized that I wasn't replacing her instead I was getting a new friend. While I may have gotten a new cat shortly after her death I know that it was right for me.

jenluckenbach
11-26-2002, 05:53 AM
The bottom line is that only YOU can decide if it is too soon or not.....but, I say if you look for a possible buddy for Rilla and some sweet little birdie calls out to you "Take me home!" then the time is right. I believe you will both benefit from some extra companionship.

Cataholic
11-26-2002, 08:05 AM
I am sorry for your loss. I have so little experience with birds, that I don't know what to say. Something seems missing, though, if you had two, and now only have one. Birdies are flock animals..so, if it is in your heart, maybe the time is right:confused: :confused:

NoahsMommy
11-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Please DO get another bird. Birds are companion animals and they need another bird with them....unless you have an amazing amount of time to spend with sweet Rilla. I bet it would really make her happy.

An example on how sensitive birds are...I grew up (the teenage years) with a cockatiel named Murphy. He was my buddy. When my mom moved to a bigger house, she gained an attitude that when people came over, Murphy should be in the garage!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I hated seeing him treated like that. Anyway...I moved out to get married and he died a week later...I was the only one that rescued him from the garage, fed him, watered him, cleaned his cage and talked to him every chance I got. It was so sad when he died....but it was a better place. I even tried to take him with me, but she didn't want me to. Poor thing. :(

popcornbird
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Cookiebaker, PLEASE go and get Rilla a friend. If she seems this lonely and won't sing or anything, she may be VERY upset. Did she witness Azure's death? If she did, you never know how heart-broken she is. Birds are VERY sensitive animals and if they lose a member of their flock, it can have an effect on their health. Also, PLEASE take RIlla to the vet to be examined in case Azure was ill. She did live in the same cage as him so its best to get her checked. Poor Rilla baby. :( I would also advise to get a cockatiel instead of a parakeet, because a parakeet that has never been around cockatiels may be afraid because of Rilla's size. Rilla may also be more happy to have a friend of her own species but of course that's a decision for you to make. Rilla was used to a parakeet so I think she'll be happy with one, but it might terrify a parakeet that has never met a cockatiel. I have a friend who has a parakeet, and I once took my birds to her house to visit her bird. As soon as my birds saw the parakeet, they went in his cage to greet him, but as for him..........he screamed and flew out of the cage, and didn't return until we left! :eek: Whatever you get, please get her a friend. Its not good for her health to stay lonely like this after having years of companionship by Azure. In the meantime, try to give her the most attention as possible. Talk to her, let her out of the cage, buy her new toys, buy her treats that she loves, and get her a feathered friend as soon as possible. If possible, tell Malone to keep her company (under supervision of course) when she's in her cage. :) Getting another bird will NEVER be replacing Azure. Getting a new bird will be something to help heal Rilla's heart and make her her jolly self again. Getting a new bird is the least self-fish thing you can do because despite your grief from the loss of Azure, you are getting a new baby for the wish of Rilla baby. Keep her company in the meantime and let her know that her human flock members are still with her. Popcorn and Muffin send her cockatiel hugs. :)

11-26-2002, 02:23 PM
oh no , Cookiebaker , you are NOT selfish at all :eek: !
The best way to deal with your loss , is getting a new birdie !
When my Sydney died , lots of Pettalkers advised me to get a new kitten ; I did get Maya , and I can tell you , that was the best thing to heal the fresh wound !! Maya made sure that mommy wasn't crying to much , by giving headbumpies and nose-licks !!
Sydney is still my sweetie and I will never forget him ; but the coming of Maya made it all much more bearable !!:)

So , go go , of to the petshop for a new birdie ..;;) :D

my sweet Maya !

ChrisH
11-26-2002, 03:52 PM
Cookiebaker, my advice is simply to do as your heart tells you. I am sure Rilla misses Azure and if you feel that it will help her and you then get her a little friend. If however, you don`t feel ready then wait for if and when you do. I am sure Rilla will be okay, she still has you and I am sure you interact with her a lot and that is the most important thing for a single bird. I believe whichever way you choose will show a loving heart never a selfish one.

hugs