PDA

View Full Version : stuffed kongs! oh boy!

kobieeli
08-14-2001, 12:25 AM
Just to get something new started in this portion of PetTalk...

I wondered how many of you have dogs that love to unpack Kong toys that're filled with treats--either for fun or as a meal. If your dog digs this, what's his or her favorite stuffing recipe? How long does s/he take to clean it out?

Our ACD mix is far too serious to enjoy such frivolity, but our Australian Shepherd loves Kongs! I'm a novice Kong stuffer myself, so any new ideas would be great. Eli's favorite stuffing is raw baby carrots held inside with peanut butter and cottage cheese. Mmmmmm! (Kibble or biscuits are too easy for him to remove; he knows to just toss the Kong and let the pieces bounce out.)

Care to share your recipes and tips? :p

Angels3
08-14-2001, 03:27 AM
I recently saw an article in a magazine that had tips & instructions on how to stuff a kong. I'll see if I can find it & pass on the ideas.

carrie
08-14-2001, 06:05 AM
The Kong is the saviour of many a dog's sanity and one or two owners too!
For easy things to get out like biscuit pour on some water, almost to the top of the Kong and freeze it. Gravy and plain yogurt are good too and they love it on a hot day. If you usually feed canned food stuff the Kong and freeze!

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: carrie ]

joycenalex
08-14-2001, 06:21 AM
kong stuffing treats here are bananas, apple or pear slices,or oven dried out liver'jerky' strips held in by peanut butter. i've wedged crunchy dog biscuits into the top part of the kong then wedged a baby carrot the opposite way to hold it in place.
i started giving alex the wonder dog the kong as a puppy so he'd focus on the treat/food rather then me leaving. ;)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-14-2001, 08:03 AM
Our first two greyhounds, Paula and Buddy, have never shown any interest in the kong. When we first got Paula, I tried stuffing it with peanut butter, but soon found out that she really doesn't like peanut butter. I even tried yogurt, which she loves and will eat from a spoon. Buddy just doesn't like to lick things, or chew very much.
A friend who has a beagle gives it a stuffed kong each morning when she leaves for work. She has mentioned peanut butter, fat free cream cheese, and liverwurst as being the dog's favorite kong stuffers.

08-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Okay, I have no clue what Kongs are... can you all fill me in? My dogs must be missing out on some serious fun :eek:

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-14-2001, 10:04 AM
Here is a pic:
http://store5.yimg.com/I/petmarket_1643_2701400
They are medium-hard rubber toys that have hollow cores, to fill with treats or soft food. it's hard to get all the stuff out of the core (but possible!) so it gives dogs a project to focus on. It's supposed to be great for dogs with separation anxiety, because it keeps them distracted while you slip out the door!

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2001, 10:26 AM
Hi,Angel ~ Cinder & Smokey here ~ :D

Here's the link to The Kong Company:
http:www.kongcompany.com (http://www.kongcompany.com)
But that site doesn't work today; error message says site can't be found :mad:. They (used) to have a great site - good pictures of the products, huge picture gallery of pets (I was in there), tips on using the toys, etc. Dad even tried and couldn't get into the site :(.
Maybe try later??

Dad found this site that has some of their stuff:
http://www.toys4dogs.com/
Look in the left column for Toy Search
; Click on that then fill in "Kong" and it will list several different Kong products. Pix aren't great, but click on the small images and they'll blow up a bit.

If you have a favorite pet products site, almost all of the pet shops and E-tail sites sell Kong products. Just search for Kong - it's a Trademarked name. "The Kong" is a round, tubular chew toy hollow in the center - just right for "stuffing" with biskits or food. It's made out of rubber and is pretty hard to damage or destroy. Hmmm, where'd we leave our Kong? Maybe Dad will stuff a biskit in it :D.

kobieeli
08-14-2001, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Great idea to freeze liquids inside the toy--a Kongsicle! I guess first you have to plug up the smaller hole and freeze it upright. I'll have to try that.

I've heard of some dogs being such aggressive chewers that they can actually destroy a Kong (which would definitely keep them busy!), so the black ones are made of super-heavy-duty rubber. Tinier Kongs are good for small dogs and dogs that don't enjoy the challenge so much.

A Google search on "kong stuffing" brought up tons of sites. I'll have to get my butt into the kitchen and try some new things! ;)

Daisy's Mom
08-14-2001, 01:54 PM
Daisy has a Kong but I never even thought of stuffing it. What great ideas! I am going to try some today!

MHMama
08-14-2001, 07:06 PM
Do they come in very small? :) ;)

ownerof3dogs
08-14-2001, 08:08 PM
I come in very very small sizes. although they might be harder to find in a pet store. I've only seen them in cataloges

Eudora
08-18-2001, 02:52 AM
I remember! Sugar used to love it with half cup wet food and 3 1/2 cups dry food and a little bit of sugar added in- thus her name!