PDA

View Full Version : My "Wild America" Friday....

ramanth
11-25-2002, 10:23 AM
Since the road leading into town has been under construction, I've been walking Kia down a nearby country road. All dirt with cow pastures, fields and woods as far as the eye can see.

I get out of work at 5 and as some of you know, with day lights saving in effect it gets dark about 6. So I strap on Kia's orange safety vest, equip myself with a flashlight and we're off.

Kia loves the smells as there are a lot of creatures out when we take our walks.... snakes, deer, raccoons, possums.... and something else that I was suspicious of but had no proof of it's existance in the area.

I'm over a half mile from home when I hear it. A strange noise coming from a grove of trees to my left. I stop, and only then do I realize that Kia is ridgid.

Is that a siren? No..it's a coyote. Then not one, not two.....but 5 voices join in.

The hairs on the back of my neck raise and I'm frozen in place.

I shine the flashlight in the direction of the noise in panic and see a glint of eyes.

:eek:

I've never been so scared in my life. I scream at Kia to run and she needs no second urging. Another howl and Kia darts in front of me and only succeeds in tripping me with her leash. A few choice words and I'm scrambling back to my feet and running.

Glancing behind me I think I see something moving in the ditch. I can't hear anything anymore other than my beating heart and the gasps I'm making. Kia's dragging me along, not willing to stop.

I slowed down at the train tracks, but still felt vunerable and sprinted off towards the apartment complex.

Once safe inside, Kia became velcro dog, I tended to my bruised knees and iced my now swollen and possibly sprained wrist.

I am never walking down that road again at night.

I love nature.... I just don't like being that close to it. :p ;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-25-2002, 10:52 AM
That was close, huh?! I am glad that you and Kia are Ok. How are your knees feeling? And your wrist?

Walking on dirt roads in "the wilderness" can be fun. But I only go during the day. If it's dark, which it always is for our morning jog and evening walk, I wear a headlight and Drake and I both have reflective belts.

ramanth
11-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Knees and wrist are feeling a lot better. I pampered them all weekend. :)

Of course the coyotes most likely would of ran if I made noise or gestures at them, but I wasn't going to stick around and find out. :D

As I was running I could see the headlines "Girl mauled by a pack of coyotes while dog flees to safety." LOL!

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

As I was running I could see the headlines "Girl mauled by a pack of coyotes while dog flees to safety." LOL!

He!He!He!

Don't you just hate how it gets dark so early now!!

Logan
11-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Whew!! I would have had a heart attack, right there on the spot. Down South, we don't have the coyote problemm, but I still prefer to walk my girls in the light of day! :)

mugsy
11-25-2002, 02:28 PM
So, Kimmy, I guess I shouldn't contact Marty Stouffer for a guest spot on Wild America?? lol

I'm glad all is well. Tell Kia she's a weenie!! lol j/k. I agree that the coyotes would have probably run from you, but better safe than sorry since Kia was with you and they may have attacked her.

ramanth
11-25-2002, 02:49 PM
I sure do Souraya. :)

Molly, LOL! No thanks. :D

Mom said that if the coyotes did get me, Kia would of ran back to get the keys from me so she could let herself in the apartment. :rolleyes: :p ;)

I've known Kia is a weenie ever since Dad hid behind a tree and ran at us in the dark. I still can hear the sound of her nails scraping on the blacktop as she desperately tried to flee from the evil scary man running at us. LOL!

Cincy'sMom
11-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

Mom said that if the coyotes did get me, Kia would of ran back to get the keys from me so she could let herself in the apartment. :rolleyes: :p ;)

LOL!! We knew Kia was a smart girl!!

Cataholic
11-25-2002, 03:57 PM
YIKES!!!! Now that I know you two are safe and sound...I wonder what can be done in the future, in the event of a repeat appearance?

I am thinking that turning and running isn't the 'best' idea...it sets the chase in motion. But, I dont know this for certain. I know I don't run away from dogs when I am out running, instead, I avert gaze, use stern voice, and back away...I just don't like the image of you, your dog, and five coyotes...you know?

Since it is dark for most of us after work, and we do walk/run/exercise our kids..can someone tell us what is the best thing to do????

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-25-2002, 04:10 PM
I bought myself a head lamp by Petzl a year ago for about $40.00. It is now for ONLY $28.00! http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/regularimages/668271.jpg

There some that are even cheaper. This EverReady one is only $10.00 (a bit bulkier than the Petzl).
http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/regularimages/627886.jpg

Some may say it is goofy, but your hands are empty (except for the leash) and you don't have to worry about dropping etc...

Stay away from abandoned roads and such. I always carry my cell phone with in case of an emergency.

lynnestankard
11-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest

Don't you just hate how it gets dark so early now!!

Absolutley!! It gets dark about 3.45pm here now! Urgh!

Ramanth - so glad you escaped the 'wild beasties' and that you had Kia to protect you!!!!

Lynne

Cookiebaker
11-25-2002, 05:09 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I had a heart attack just reading what you wrote. :eek: This past summer, we were camping in upstate NY, and that was first time I had ever heard a coyote howl. We were in a tent, and they seriously sounded like they were 25 feet away. Errrk...its the eeriest sound ever!

ChrisH
11-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Wow, how scary! :eek: Glad you are ok.

As Lynne said it gets dark around 3.45 in the UK, and where I live it is not the wild animals I have to worry about when out in the dark, it is the two legged.... I was going to say animals but that would be demeaning the animals..... anyway I think you get my drift!

Lillycat
12-08-2002, 06:32 PM
what a worrisome experience.....glad the ending was positive....that was downright scary!

moosmom
12-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Kim,

I guess the coyotes are scavenging for food so that's why they're out. I'm glad you're okay. That's scary. I'm glad I don't have to walk my cats!! :rolleyes:

luckies4me
12-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Hahahahahah! All you guys make me laugh! Coyotes are not how you all think they are. They are very timid, rarely ever chase and are pretty much wimps. I know because I had one. Ah, my sweet Daringer, how I miss your sweet face, your bushy tail and funny sense of humor.

They do follow though, and will come right up to you. But if you so much as raise your hand they are off. In Whitter California when I lived in the hills, we had so many coyotes. This one in particular, a bitch, would always follow me home. She was the funniest thing. I would be walking and then stop, turn around and she would then turn the other way to pretend she wasn't interested. She would follow mw all the way to my porch, and then sort of beg for attention in only a way a coyote could. They twitch their ears and put up their nose. They are halarious. But they are not too dog friendly so do be careful. Of course, not all coyotes are friendly, this has just been my experience. Daringer was a sweety.

Matthew, our pure white wolf was also very loving. I wouldn't suggest keeping a wolf in your house though, theyare very destructive. Mathew was the sweetest pooch though, so very thoughtful indeed. He was the runt of the pack and the rest of the pups chewed his ears off:eek: , but what's funny is that when he grew up he was he biggest of them all, and began the alpha male. His grandmother was stolenfrom the San Diego Zoo in the 70's. Idon't know anymore info on his past but that, and not it wasn't us who stole her!!!!

But again, they are wild animals and precautions must be taken at all time. They could carry rabies so it's wise to have a light and also a long stick.

COCatMama
12-08-2002, 09:59 PM
I was walking Juneau today in BROAD daylight and a coyote was following us on the path!!!! I threw rocks at it and stuff scared half to death for my dog, Coyotes can and will kill dogs and like to eat cats. I don;t know if that coyote was just curious, hungry or wanted to hurt my dog but I wasn't taking any chances!!!

ownerof3dogs
12-08-2002, 10:02 PM
I don't know if I would call them wimps LOL. I mean they are wild animals. And can be dangerous if cornered or something like that. In our town we are having a big problem with them. They are coming into peoples yards while they're playing with their little dogs and the coyotes are stealing and killing peoples dogs AND cats.

So now the town wants to trap them all! I don't agree with it at all though. The coyote doesn't know that dogs/cats are pets!

So in Ramanth case. Kia could have been attacked if the coyote felt that Kia was trespassing in their territory. Or for some reason they felt that she was a good meal. You never know what could have happened.