PDA

View Full Version : Walnuts

CoraNewf
07-26-2001, 11:23 AM
I'm going nuts! Literally!!!! Sometime within the last couple of days.... our Walnut tree has started dropping walnuts in our yard. This is nothing new! Kira, on the otherhand is new... and has decided that her main goal in life is to harvest every one she can.

You can't blame her.. they do look rather like tennis balls!!! So far, I've confiscated a half dozen from her.... It's going to be a long late summer/autumn. :p :D :rolleyes: :D :p :rolleyes:

Daisy's Mom
07-26-2001, 09:42 PM
Ha that's cute! Kira is so adorable. Good luck getting all the walnuts from her. I bet in the spring you will find secret stashes ;)

Sudilar
07-26-2001, 10:16 PM
The squirrels are gonna be mad at her!! LOL :mad: :D

Rottie
07-28-2001, 08:30 PM
You think you have a problem with 1 walnut tree. I have at least 40 in the side yard! :eek: We didn't plant them, the people who lived here before us did. I don't know what was going through their heads when they planted 40 walnut trees!!! We have more squirrels, (and twisted ankles, they are the worst thing to have laying on the ground) than any where around. :rolleyes: But I know exactly how you feel. Too many walnuts!!!! :)

CoraNewf
07-31-2001, 03:53 PM
LOL!!! I was working on the computer this weekend, which is in the corner of my bedroom. There is a window on each wall, and Kira was keeping me company while I worked on our Newf Clubs newsletter.

Suddenly, she jumped up, and started pacing and whining. She went to one window, then the other. I was so engrossed in what I was doing that at first I didn't really pay attention.... the WHAM... she jumped up against the window and started barking.

Why? Why??? Because the squirrels were out in the yard harvesting Kira's walnuts. She was outraged. Why she didn't go through the glass is beyond me. Oh Brother!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

BeeTrixPotter
07-31-2001, 04:14 PM
I can relate to your problem. We also have a large walnut tree in our back yard. Yesterday, unfortunately we had to let our Coc-a-poo of 16 years go. But, it was about 8 years ago, he was chasing our new Dalmatian guest.(she has now become a family member.LOL)..around the tree, and he let out a huge yip, and then came hobbling over to me. Well, he had slipped on one of those walnuts, as you said, they are just like small tennis balls, with that, we made a trip to the DR, and he had to have a very costly Knee surgery. Dr. said it was the same as an athlete has. He came made it thur the surgery fine. And had many more happy years. But, from then on, the walnuts had to be cleaned out of yard. What a job. I just thought you might like to know. (rather early for walnuts though, at least here in Michigan they are not dropping from trees yet). :eek:

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: BeeTrixPotter ]

Sudilar
07-31-2001, 04:28 PM
BeeTrixPotter, was that the dreaded "cruciate ligament rupture"?

So sorry about your cockapoo. After 16 years, it is especially hard to let them go. Try to remember all the good times you had together. Can you tell us a little about him/her? Hang in there. We are here for you.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

CoraNewf
08-02-2001, 04:13 PM
BeeTrixPotter,

I am so very very sorry for your loss... I know this must be a very difficut time for you and your family. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers....

Annie

BeeTrixPotter
08-03-2001, 08:24 AM
:) Thank you all for your kind words. Yes, it has been hard, but, it was much harder seeing him so weak, and frail. We know he is in a much better place. We know he is still around us. He really was a great companion, right to the End. He lived a very full long live. The Dr. said he was one of the oldest dogs he has treated. Again, thank you all for responding. This is such a great place. I am so very thankful I found it.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: BeeTrixPotter ]

Eudora
08-03-2001, 09:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that! :( But he is in a place where he will be so happy and will never be hurt.