PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the D-E-E-R

Smilla
10-25-2000, 06:27 PM
(Not quite a "game" per se, but boy do they love it.) My dad began taking our dogs Katie and Sugar out with him to put corn in the deer feeders. It just so happened that he'd do this every day at around 4. Now, if he runs late, Katie sits at his feet and growls, and as soon as she can get him out of his chair she runs to find Sugar so that she can come along (Sugar doesn't have quite the internal clock that Katie has). We have to be careful when we mention the D-E-E-R or Katie thinks we're going back outside. Trouble is, she's beginning to learn the spelling, too.

karen israel
10-26-2000, 09:39 AM
That is so CLEVER! and CUTE! and TRUE! People think I'm nuts. I cannot even spell v-e-t, o-u-t, b-o-n-e, c-a-r without an ears up and reaction! Your dad needs to get on the ball! It's 4PM no excuses!! Out of that chair pronto! That is just so adorable! Your dad just HAS to love it!

karen israel
10-26-2000, 09:39 AM
That is so CLEVER! and CUTE! and TRUE! People think I'm nuts. I cannot even spell v-e-t, o-u-t, b-o-n-e, c-a-r without an ears up and reaction! Your dad needs to get on the ball! It's 4PM no excuses!! Out of that chair pronto! That is just so adorable! Your dad just HAS to love it!

karen israel
10-26-2000, 09:41 AM
SORRY TO SUBMITTING TWICE....Hearing from me once is quite enough, I'm sure!

RachelJ
10-26-2000, 10:08 AM
I work in an office in my home. Four pm is quitting time and time to take Hannah and Tucker outside to play. Well, don't let me have to finish some task because as 4:00 pm nears, I have the two of them at my feet, Hannah with the kong in her mouth. There is no waiting patiently either, she starts dropping the kong (not laying it down, but bouncing it) picking it up and dropping it over and over again at my feet until I get the message it is TIME TO PLAY!

teena
10-26-2000, 10:18 AM
My dogs seem to know when the weekend comes. We usually take them to the l-a-k-e every weekend to go s-w-i-m-m-i-n-g. Another word we have to spell is c-o-o-k-i-e and what's really scary, is that they know what THAT means now!

dogncatluvr
10-26-2000, 05:27 PM
We have to spell c-o-o-k-i-e also as well as p-a-r-k, m-i-l-k, c-a-r, g-o_o-u-t. We've resorted to saying only the first letter to try to outsmart them! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
10-27-2000, 11:44 AM
Chances are, they will catch on to 1st letters too!!! So true about weekends! And don't forget how they know your car is pulling up when it's nowhere in sight!

AdoreMyDogs
10-27-2000, 12:18 PM
YES, THEY DO LEARN LETTERS!!! I don't even have to spell w-a-l-k, I just say "W" and he's ready to go, his lil stubble tail's going a million miles an hour! As a matter of fact, I don't even have to talk about walks, all I have to do is think "I think I'd like to take the dogs for a walk" and my dog Graham is ULTRA excited! Once the thought of going on a walk enters my head.....I had BETTER be ready to take a walk!

karen israel
10-30-2000, 08:19 AM
LOL! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif So true!! All we say at our house is "God..how does he know!" Yeah, I'm doing dishes thinking,,,when I done, we'll take a walk and a millisecond later he is next to me with tennis balls in mouth and waggy tail. My dad is handicapped and he sure as hell knows when a fall or problem is about to happen. He gets fidgety and paces. We just can't believe it! No training at all. We caught on to what he was doing and it certainly confirms our love for Cody even more!!!!

AdoreMyDogs
10-30-2000, 08:53 AM
Isn't that amazing! How do they know? How are they able to read minds/thoughts? To be able to communicate mentally, without words seems high on the evalutional scale if you ask me...very few humans have that skill, and if they do, it's not as strong as a dogs'. I am amazed at the ability of a dog's mind! I think alot of people underestimate the things dogs can do!

Breezybabe01
11-07-2000, 08:00 PM
That is so cute!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif My dad would love that! He just loves deer. He would love to do that with my dog, but she looks like a deer, and she would probably chase them all away! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

Raz_Taz_88
11-07-2000, 08:47 PM
Our dogs no the meaning of out side so when you Say out they go crazy they even know when we spell it

ktreva52
11-14-2000, 11:31 PM
Ours learned o-u-t and t-u-o so now we spell it u-t-o and Shiloh acts like she doesn't know what that means, but bye-bye in our house gets the most reaction, so we just call it the B-word. Otherwise, it's excitement city.

*BaSim*
01-13-2001, 02:41 PM
I cant say the following words or spell them out because Simba has learned how to spell them..... Bath, Toy ,food, dinner, snacks, ride (going in the car),outside, nite nite (going to bed , his most favorite time of the day), and the worst one CAT.....

Daisy's Mom
01-13-2001, 11:40 PM
Oh yah, CAT! Daisy knows that one. When she was a little baby she got scratched on the nose by my neighbor's big old mean cat, and then again last summer. Poor angel wasn't even doing anything!!!! Anyway, if you say "cat," no matter what she is doing, she will run to our big glass doors and bark and howl and cry until we let her out the front door, and she will go flying around the yard. And that's what she does even if there isn't one there. If there is actually a cat outside, she will run right at it barking, and then when she gets too close to it, she pulls a big U-Turn and runs right back into the house!!! LOL and the cat knows she is going to turn away so it just sits there to tease her!!!! My poor Daisy!