PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else hosting Thanksgiving this year?

Cookiebaker
11-23-2002, 05:48 PM
This year, it's our turn to host Thanksgiving. I have only ever done 2 turkeys in my life, and this is the first time for my in-laws. Besides that, I have to work M-W, though there is a possibility that I can get out at noon on Wed. But I am feeling so much pressure, I am about ready to explode. It all built up last night, and I couldn't sleep at all. I have cleaning, organizing, menu-building, shopping, cooking etc. etc. etc. All day today, we were helping my in-laws move, and tomorrow we are getting together with friends and that's the weekend completely shot. Anybody else feeling this, too???

COCatMama
11-23-2002, 05:54 PM
nope, thanksgiving was awhile ago for us :D and my mom cooked it
hehehe

Cataholic
11-23-2002, 06:29 PM
Oh, I hate holidays like the one you might be having..so stressful! Why don't you just clean the important areas? The bathroom and eating area. The rest, just a quick vacuum. I haven't ever done a turkey. Mom always takes care of that. I can't stand touching the rawness of it.

Put together a 'time to do this' list, and stick to it! I hope you asked everyone to pitch in and bring something!!

Best part? You get the best leftovers...yummy.

sammi
11-23-2002, 06:42 PM
I don't envy you! I have done it many times and it makes a person a wreck. The last time I had a big meal with relatives (the turkey dinner thing) I did as much as I could the night before -like all the things ready for the dressing just need to mix it in the am - I always have trouble getting it all done at the same time! Its the gathering of loved ones that makes the day. Easy for me to say we are going out to eat this year!

RockyRoad
11-23-2002, 07:08 PM
I eat the food, not make it lol. But I cannot host it anyways because I'm sure I'd ruin it~ :rolleyes: But my grandma does it every year, but my aunt and my mom all help out while my dad and my grandpa and my cousins watch football(rugby), and me, well I am sneaking turkey downstairs to Lady and Sally(and of course I try to get some carrots for Floppsy. Oh, FYI- my grandparents live on the 2nd floor of our house and we live on the bottom, so that is why Lady and Sally and Floppsy are there. Anyway good luck with the hosting!;)
PS-sorry I couldn't help

jenluckenbach
11-23-2002, 09:06 PM
I don't host, but I do the cooking. But it is small. My Dad, Honey and me.

Cataholic
11-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I don't host, but I do the cooking. But it is small. My Dad, Honey and me.

AND....???? Aren't you forgetting someone??? I mean someones????

mugsy
11-23-2002, 09:38 PM
We're supposed to be going out for dinner!! YEAH!! No cooking and best of all NO CLEAN UP!!

Good luck...it doesn't sound like too much fun prepping!

Tina
11-23-2002, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking about doing a dinner for just Kaitlynn ,my husband,myself,and of course my silly furkids. But I'm not for sure yet. Of course no one else in my family has said anything about Thanksgiving Dinner. If they don't like it cause we don't show up. Oh,well I guess they'll just have to get mad cause they didn't call us ahead of time.

AdoreMyDogs
11-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Yup, hosting it, and yup, getting stressed out :) I am done grocery shopping as of today. I am going to cook most of the dinner and all of the desert, while my mom will make a couple of little things, and my younger brother may make another couple of things.. I have pre-cleaned my house and I have done all my grocery shopping. My house will just need some touch-ups on Wednesday. I am going to make the pies (apple and pumpkin-hazelnut pies) this weekend. That is two less things I have to worry about on the big day.

This is my second year hosting Thanksgiving. The first time was at my old apartment last year, where the kitchen was even more crowded and cramped then my new kitchen is. It was stressful, but the end result was fantastic. I enjoyed it very much.

Cincy'sMom
11-24-2002, 08:25 AM
I had thanksgiving for the first time last year. Wasn't too bad, just Ralph's paretns, brother and niece. This year his sister is having it!

Instead, I am having my family on Saturday. Don't know yet if I am cooking, but today's major project to to totally clean my house! I am not much of a neat freak, so it will be a real challenge for me!

anna_66
11-24-2002, 08:33 AM
We never host it, we always go to Mark's moms. All the kids, grand kids &great-grand kids, pile together in one small house:eek: Ours is even smaller, so it would never work (thank goodness:p)
I do usually make quite a few things and bring them, and so do his sisters. So it's not too bad for us.
Don't get stressed, it's just food, and who cares if the house isn't spotless! People should be more into having a good time than looking to see if you house is clean! GOOD LUCK!

shais_mom
11-24-2002, 10:48 AM
We usually go to my parents or my Aunt's. The last couple years we have gone to my aunt's. We save going to my grandma's for Christmas. And we haven't been to my mom's youngest brother's for YEARS due to marital problems. And my mom's sister usually has her own as her psycho husband has had a family fued for about 25+ years with our side.
:( :mad: :o

So we all do get together at Christmas.
I usually donate the turkey b/c I get a free one at Christmas time from Work and My oven isn't big enought to fix it. (apartment size stove - I can't wait to remodel!!!) But apparently I didn't get on the ball to tell anyone in time and my aunt bought one, so we will save mine for Christmas. I usually donate it so I can have the leftovers, guess I won't be getting them this year!!!!

I am going to make apple dumplings and maybe some crab dip or spinach dip to take.

Leslie, that pumpkin hazelnut pie sounds delicious!!!

Edwina's Secretary
11-24-2002, 11:23 AM
I'm having 8 (0r 9 -- still not sure about step-son????) Menu is planned, recipes gathered, groceries bought, turkey ordered, assignments given.

Today I will set the table.

I'm not very domestic but I AM an organization freak!

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-24-2002, 12:54 PM
We always have Thanksgiving with Andrew's family. But this year, I am having it at my house. His parents are going out of town and this may be the last Thanksgiving I will be able to spend with my 2 brothers. So, I will be having them both over with their girlfriends and Andrew. My brothers and I are all vegetarians, so I will stuff a chicken for Andrew and the girlfriends. We will have all the other side dished though.

Uabassoon
11-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Ihosting Thanksgiving, it will be my 2nd time hosting. I'm very excited. My landloard is working that day so I'll be able to use her oven as well as mine. My roommates mom and sister are comming into town so I will be cooking for them as well as any of my friends that want to come so they aren't alone in their apartments. I'm glad I love to cook because I'm going to make a turkey breast for the meat eaters (there won't be enough people for a full turkey) homemade pumpkin pie (from a real pumpkin not a can) and a whole bunch of other yummy stuff.

mugsy
11-24-2002, 02:20 PM
I just called and made reservations at the Back 40 Junction. It's a buffet and they have WONDERFUL food. We went there last year and really enjoyed it. The only downside is that my dad, who is 84, is virtually an invalid, so Mike, Mom, and I take turns filling his plate for him and we just guess what he'd like.

It sounds like everyone is getting ready!

Sara, you are TOO organized!! lol

Uabassoon, what a nice person you are to cook for those who don't have anywhere else to go. Sometimes, it's more fun to have friends than family, depending on how well your family gets along!

Uabassoon
11-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Uabassoon, what a nice person you are to cook for those who don't have anywhere else to go. Sometimes, it's more fun to have friends than family, depending on how well your family gets along!

I like to surround myself with friends during Thanksgiving, because it's the time of year I miss my family the most. I always get so sad because I can't go home and I really miss my family. But when I go home for X-mas I usually get there a few days early and we celebrate a late Thanksgiving. When I get off the plane and get home my dad always has a belated Thanksgiving dinner ready for me.

mugsy
11-24-2002, 02:35 PM
What a nice dad you have!! Where are you from originally??

anna_66
11-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I am going to make apple dumplings

What time should we be there? I love apple dumplings;)

Uabassoon
11-24-2002, 02:38 PM
I'm from Texas, that's where all of my family lives. And I'm in Arizona going to school.

And umm... what's a dumpling?

mugsy
11-24-2002, 02:47 PM
OH MY, what have you missed??? An apple dumpling is an apple wrapped up in a pastry dough but you put butter and cinnamon on it before you wrap it up and then you bake it until the apple is tender and serve it with whipped cream or ice cream! YUMMY!!

mugsy
11-24-2002, 02:47 PM
OH I forgot, the sugar too! lol

HoRsELUvR
11-24-2002, 02:54 PM
we hosted it last year,but it was just us.still,i know how you feel.

Lillycat
11-24-2002, 06:56 PM
i really enjoyed this thread....its very interesting to me how and why we celebrate and w/who. for those w/o family near it is wonderful to invite others to share w/you.....thats what this harvest time of year is all about....to give thanks and share in the abundance....happy thanksgiving to all of you ......and thank you for all the fun that has been mine through coming to know all of you..!!!!;)

Logan
11-24-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
Yup, hosting it, and yup, getting stressed out :) I am done grocery shopping as of today. I am going to cook most of the dinner and all of the desert, while my mom will make a couple of little things, and my younger brother may make another couple of things.. I have pre-cleaned my house and I have done all my grocery shopping. My house will just need some touch-ups on Wednesday. I am going to make the pies (apple and pumpkin-hazelnut pies) this weekend. That is two less things I have to worry about on the big day.

This is my second year hosting Thanksgiving. The first time was at my old apartment last year, where the kitchen was even more crowded and cramped then my new kitchen is. It was stressful, but the end result was fantastic. I enjoyed it very much.

Oh, Leslie, how much fun it will be for you and your family to celebrate Thanksgiving in your new home!!! :) I know you have a lot to be thankful for this year!!! Graham is healed and doing beautifully, Kersey and Minnion joined your family, and Cassie is doing somewhat better, plus you have that new home that you wanted so badly!! I'm so happy for you!!! :D

We have decided to stay in Greenville for Thanksgiving, and it will be just Scott and me. We figure we have many more Thanksgivings ahead where we can have everyone in our new home, so this year, just 3 short weeks before our wedding, we are going "out" for lunch. I think it will be as close to perfection as we can get without our children and families to join us. And best of all, no one got mad at us!! They all understood. We'll have a special treat (don't know what) for all the furry and feathered ones because we are thankful for them too. :)

Cookiebaker
11-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Oi help me! I just got home from shopping. I was pleased it wasn't as expensive as I had originally thought. :cool: I have my menu all figured out, and the next thing is to come up with a schedule. I was going to start making quick breads tonight, but honestly, I'm pooped. As of now, we are expecting 9 people, and I hope I'm not going too overboard. But that's half the fun, isn't it?

Soledad
11-24-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm planning a Thanksgiving in New Zealand for all of my curious Kiwi friends. We bought an ENORMOUS turkey from the butcher, and he's going to thaw it for me, so there's one thing I don't have to worry about. I'm having eight people around, and it's going be an organisational nightmare, but plenty of fun!

Dakota's Mommy
11-25-2002, 08:06 AM
Well, this is the first year that Brian and I are so far away from our families that we really can't go home for Thanksgiving! I guess we could have headed over to his mom's but now we have a couple of guests coming that we're really excited about. Plus, being on a Military Installation there are a couple of Brian's friends who have no place to have Thanksgiving. So, we are hosting two visitors and two of his friends for Thanksgiving. However, since Brian used to always work with his dad to cook, he's going to be doing the majority of the cooking and my job is just to be there to help and clean up afterwards. However, I didn't get nearly the amount of cleaning I wanted to get done this weekend so MOnday and Tuesday night are going to be full since he picks our visitors up from the airport on Wednesday! I'm excited about them coming though. :) :D

Tina
11-25-2002, 08:55 AM
Well looks like our plans changed we are going to have Thanksgiving at my parents. Of course I'll be helping. My mom told me she is going to cook the turkey. So I guess I'll bring some other goodies. I told her we were going to stay home and have our dinner but I guess she didn't like it to well. I'm still going to get a small turkey and cook it for Rob,Kaitlynn,and myself. So well have it for the weekend. She said something about going to my aunt's too. Afterwards so I guess we'll be going there too. I don't know yet. Usually they don't have much food anyways so it don't matter if we eat before hand. Seems like everytime we go to dinner(my mom's side of the family) they have already started to eat before we get there :rolleyes: its like they can't wait. Oh,well I guess that's our plans.

mugsy
11-25-2002, 09:51 AM
I made reservations yesterday for the Back 40 at 3:30, so no cooking for us, nor is there any cleanup...OH DARN! lol

mugsy
11-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Please excuse my blonde moment....I already posted out plans! OOPS!

Stenograsaurus
11-25-2002, 11:31 AM
We'll be driving to my brother-in-law's house. It's about two hours away. We'll prob. drive down Wed. night and stay overnight. There will be about 16 relatives there. He hosts it every year. We usually alternate one year with my family and one year with my hubby's. And they do all the cooking. :) The only bad part is we don't get any leftovers. And for some reaon, I seem to crave turkey a lot with this pregnancy. Maybe I'll bring some leftovers home with me.

catland
11-25-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm doing the Thanksgiving host thing this year. My mom used to do it all the time but her health is starting to fail and she just can't pull it off anymore. So she's "helping" me, so that she can still feel like a part of it.

I'm cooking the bird (22lbs!) and she's going to bring over the potatos, cranberries and assorted other goodies.

There will be a total of 18 people in my house (gasp). I've got most of the major cleaning done. One bedroom is going to be "off-limits" because we've been using it as a storeroom and its a mess.

Of course the kitties are helping. Our kitchen floor needed to be cleaned and waxed, and they helped me by showing that it wasn't dry yet by leaving their little kitty-foot prints on it.