PDA

View Full Version : Computer Wiped Out EVERYTHING :*(

RockyRoad
11-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Hi I know Popcornbird lost her computer last night, and now I am a member of the club.:( Last night the comp. was fine, but this morning my dad could not start it. After a five-hour conversation with a Dell guy, he told my mom and me how to do it. Now everything is wiped out. So the first thing I did was get the internet back. So there goes all my files, pictures, essays, reports and everything. :( I don't know why I'm posting this but I just felt I had to vent somewhere.:eek:

slleipnir
11-23-2002, 05:39 PM
That happened to my moms once, her hard drive died :[ It sucks, cause I lost all my pics I had on it, all my webpage stuff too. Atleast I have a burner on this comp to back stuff up..I haven't gotten around to it yet..but I guess I should be safe and do it. :[ Sorry about your comp :[

kohala
11-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89
Hi I know Popcornbird lost her computer last night, and now I am a member of the club.:( Last night the comp. was fine, but this morning my dad could not start it. After a five-hour conversation with a Dell guy, he told my mom and me how to do it. Now everything is wiped out. So the first thing I did was get the internet back. So there goes all my files, pictures, essays, reports and everything. :( I don't know why I'm posting this but I just felt I had to vent somewhere.:eek:

So sorry to hear that, FLS! I had that happen this summer, it was soooooo frustrating. Did you get the Holiday card lists? Do you want copies? I could PM them to you. Ko

RockyRoad
11-23-2002, 06:02 PM
I did not get the e-mail list Rottie sent, but I have had the snail-mail list for weeks. Since my parents are not home, they are counting on ME to get everything back again!:mad: This is so hard! Luckily all my pics were on imagestation! At least I can go on the internet:) . I also lost the program I make my signatures on, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Works, all that stuff. Since I lost the CDs to those things they are gone forever. Which means the only things I can type reports on now are wordpad and notepad and they do not let you change colors or anything. Well anyway I'm gunna stop complaining. At least I HAVE a comp. right?

jenluckenbach
11-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Sorry about your crash....but you guys better not jinx me. I wouldn't even know where to begin if this happened to me. I'd probably just go back to BI (before internet) Which for me was 7 months ago. (yeah, I am that out of date...):(

kohala
11-24-2002, 08:21 AM
"Mr. Putercorn" - that is tooooo cool - LOL!!!! After having the same thing happen last August, I have learned the alue of "saving to floppy or diak". Don't do it much, yet, but I know I should. As we all should, I guess!!!!

anna_66
11-24-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Sorry about your crash....but you guys better not jinx me. I wouldn't even know where to begin if this happened to me. I'd probably just go back to BI (before internet) Which for me was 7 months ago. (yeah, I am that out of date...):(
Same here! Don't jinx me either! This is just happening to too many people the last couple of weeks:(

HoRsELUvR
11-24-2002, 08:59 AM
that sux i lost my computer too last spring.its very annoying.

RockyRoad
11-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I jynxed myself when I read about Mr. Puttercorn and was thinking, "oh god what if that happened to me", and then it did!:eek: Well I guess everything is installed again except all my files are empty and of course I have some more pics I just took to make up for the lost ones, but at least we can still look at them from imagestation. Whoever made imagestation is a genius!:D

RockyRoad
11-24-2002, 02:23 PM
It was a virus:( . We got it running like 5 hours later because my mom called up the Dell people and they told her how to re-install the computer and everything. It was still going on, but it was saying this message: We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start properly.....blah blah blah...then it has you choose whether you wanna go to safe mode or regular mode and then instead of going to the one you chose it just went black. Weird. Well anyways my parents left ME home to install everything so of course the first thing I did was get AOL and go on here:p . Then I got all the stuff I needed. BTW- on Windows XP you can have like a different desktop for each user, so I had my own like desktop and files-it's almost like having 5 computers but only having one. And you can have a password and stuff and you log onto your computer and it is so cool! I dunno why that matters I just wanted to add that in:) .

RockyRoad
11-24-2002, 02:26 PM
BTW Microsoft Picture It Publishing was unable to be recovered so I cannot make my signatures anymore:( :( .

iceyshiver21
11-25-2002, 12:11 PM
At least you guys could get your started again last spring mine got hit by Lighting, luckly for me insurance covered it and didnt want the comp back and it would only cost 100 dollars, thanks too a good friend of my dads and my dads mechanical now-how(too bad it wasnt computor know how, i had to put the game files on the destop so he could find them!:rolleyes: ) So now we got too comps! HEHEHE for me!

All Creatures Great And Small
11-25-2002, 12:40 PM
2 programs you should absolutely have on your PC, that have saved my life numerous times: Norton AntiVirus, and GoBack by Roxio. I have only accidentally downloaded a virus once in 2 years of having my PC, and Norton AV detected it immediately and flashed a warning on my screen. The GoBack software lets you revert your hard drive to the way it was before the virus got in, so I did a GoBack revert and the virus was gone. GoBack is also great for when stuff just generally gets screwed up and you wish you could "go back" to when your PC was working properly. It doesn't erase saved documents or anything like that. I always scan anything I download from the Internet with Norton AV before I install or open it, since I download a lot of music files and "shareware" programs, and that seems to be the source of the viruses. Norton AV can be had for about $30.00, and there are usually rebates available. The GoBack came with my PC, so I'm not sure of the price, but it would be worth ANY amount of money, as far as I'm concerned. (Windows XP has a similar program preinstalled, called System Restore, but it doesn't have the capabilites that GoBack has, as far as precisely pinpointing when the problem occurred.)

Drop some hints around the house - these would make great Christmas gifts for computer users.......:p

RockyRoad
11-25-2002, 02:59 PM
OK I know some people have WXP but I was just adding that in:).
ACG&S- My dad just installed Notrton AV yesterday. I guess before that we never thought of a virus coming to us.

I know Dell is like one of the worst companies!! My mom & dad will not let me get our old Windows 95 in my room only because I don't have a phone line that can go to it. I wish they could get another one just like that but it is not that simple(as you know). That way I could type my reports on that one and on here I could go on the web! I know it doesn't make sense.:rolleyes: