PDA

View Full Version : What sports do you compete in with your dog?

Rottie
09-18-2000, 02:31 PM
What sports do you compete in (or plan to compete in) with your dog(s)?

I have a 3 year old male Rottweiler that performs well in obedience. He got his 1st leg towards his CD in August.

http://www.freevote.com/booth/dogpoll

Please go cast your vote as to what sports you compete in. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited September 18, 2000).]

tatsxxx11
11-13-2000, 04:08 PM
Just saw this post. First CONGRATULATIONS to you and Carl! Yeah! That is really soo special. It takes a lot of hard work for such an achievement. Cudos to Carl. I just started agility training with my lab, Star. She has soooo much energy and is such a little athlete, I thought this would be a terrifc additional physical/mental challenge and outlet for her. It really is great fun and she even did the "see-saw" the first time! No fear here! I highly recommend it for all dogs. We've got all kinds in our group, from wee ones to an Olde English Sheepdog! It's also just a great way to socialize them, build their confidence and let them meet/play with other doggie friends in an informal atmosphere. I'd also love to try fly ball but haven't found a group around me that participates. Star will retrieve tennis balls at full speed for HOURS!!! Anyone else try agililty or flyball? Would also love to do therapy work. With my nursing background, I think we would be great with patients. All I need is the right dog! Star is tooo active and "silly" and my husky, who was very abused, is too shy around strangers. Maybe it's time for another rescue!!?

ownerof3dogs
11-13-2000, 09:49 PM
me and my dog Zues took agility training and I hope to get to compete when there is a competition in my area. i got him in to it because he can jump six feet with out touching the fence. and can make it over eight foot fences.

BoxerLover
11-14-2000, 03:40 PM
Hi!
I want to start competeing in flyball with my boxer, Nikki, next summer. I swear, she is perfect, she is so fast and she loves tennis balls! I already started doing some simple training, but the real training that you have to attend before doing the real thing starts in the summer, but it costs like 80 dollars and since I am 13 I don't have that kind of money. I'm saving up, though, starting Christmas. Nikki is going to be my flyball star! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

tatsxxx11
11-14-2000, 05:23 PM
BoxerLover! Good Luck! What a wonderful thing to save up for to have fun with your doggie. I'll be expecting updates. Good Luck to you and your Nikki!

BoxerLover
11-14-2000, 08:09 PM
Thanx tats!
There is a group around me that does flyball. Actually, if I am not mistaken, Michigan is one of the best flyball states in the U.S. I will keep you updated http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
11-14-2000, 09:48 PM
My Female Akita tried agility and she was to cautious/slow. It was funny to watch her go through the tunnel.
We did try Sheep hearding with her once.
The trainer took her out and was amazed
and said she was a natural.
She even had one of her regular students take
some film of my dog.
(I think only hearding breeds can compete in this sport?)
I am trying that Koehler training method on my male Akita.
If I can get my male Akita to behave around other dogs, maybe with a LOT of work I will see how he does in obedience next year at a
fun match.

ktreva52
11-14-2000, 11:06 PM
The current biggie in my family is "go-to-ground" with the terriers. My mother just got the first agility title on her 7 year-old Border Terrier and she also does flyball in Indiana (The Hurdlin' Hoosiers team). Ya just gotta watch out for the Border Collies in flyball --- they're fassssssssssst and loud. A variation on the main agility is jumps and weaves which I believe is a separate title.
For the herding Akita, yes only the herding breeds can title, but would you be interested in tracking or trailing with her? That's open to any breed, I believe. There is also pulling which she would be a natural at.
Tats, check out www.flyball.com (http://www.flyball.com) maybe they can help you find a team.
Boxerlover: most flyball teams only require basic obedience which you can do at your local PetsMart if there's one nearby. Otherwise, most teams train for flyball for cheap. I know the Hoosiers only charge $5.00 per session and then you pay your own entry fees for tournaments. Ask around.

KYS
11-15-2000, 09:09 AM
ktreva52
Congratulations to your mother.
My favorite sports to watch at shows,
is the obedience and the Agility.

My female Akita is upper middle age,
is starting to suffer from health problems.
(so far we hope minor), she also has a tendency to get pulled muscels on her right front leg/shoulder.)
So at this point I am concentrating more on my young male whom is a handful. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif
He does have quite a sniffer on him and
probably would be good at tracking.
He is a strong as an Ox, so pulling would
not be ruled out either.
But for now I want to concentrate on
obedience.

tatsxxx11
11-15-2000, 02:21 PM
Ktreva: Thanks for the info. Started checking out the site and it's terrific. So many great links, too! Let you know how it goes!

JKRJG24
11-15-2000, 03:44 PM
Check this out it is flyball and agility mixed togrther!! I just found the website so I'm still not so sure how it works so if anyone figures it out please tell me thay kindof wrote it funny!!!! The web site is http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mbutler/hurric.htm

ktreva52
11-16-2000, 07:49 PM
You're all welcome for the info. That flygility looks kinda strange. I may check it out further, but that's funny.
KYS: Thank you for the congrats. It took her a long time and since she's 74, it's not easy for her to get around the ring with Ben. There was one show that he jumped out of the ring to see his "auntie". He lives with the co-owner and the man's sister was sitting ringside watching and Ben jumped out and flopped over on his back at her feet. He's a registered Border Terrier, but he doesn't act very "terrierie".
Yeah, I know how it is when one of your dogs starts getting stiff and has trouble getting around. Hope your male likes all the interesting work. We know a woman that does pulling with her Rotties and uses them in all types of "people learning more about dogs" situations (they also run flyball).
Looked at that flygility site a bit more and it looks like they've combined flyball, agility and open obedience into one sport. Guess it was only a matter of time till someone did -- leave it to New Zealand to do it. I'll have to tell Mother about that when she gets back from shows this weekend. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited November 16, 2000).]

AdoreMyDogs
11-17-2000, 08:38 AM
Boxer Lover,

You and I are neighbors...I just noticed that you are in MI and our city's are very close. There are alot of flyball teams here. A friend of mine has his dog in a flyball team. He and his dog ADORE it! My dog, although he's mostly aussie, is not very tennis ball driven. He will retrieve it once or twice but he much prefers sticks or stuffed animals. I have him in beginning agility and he's quite a natural there...that's where he really shines. He has not shown any fear towards any of the obsticals (yet) and he has oodles of fun.

There are some pretty strange breeds in my agility class and the one that starts before mine. there's this huge, tall, gangely longer coated dog...I foget the breed name but I think it's borozi. He sure does look awkward going through the tunnels and through the tire http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif He's so tall, he reminds me of a giraffe bending down to get a drink of water...I bet in a full run he's very graceful. It really is a sport for any breed, although not all have the speed needed to win a competition, it's mentally and physically challanging for them and they enjoy that. All the dogs, even the unlikily agility breeds, have a great time.

carrie
11-18-2000, 11:13 AM
One of my favourite breeds is the Borzoi. They are also known as Russian Wolfhounds and were a favourite of the Russian Czar's.

Ryan
11-18-2000, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KYS:
I am trying that Koehler training method on my male Akita.
If I can get my male Akita to behave around other dogs, maybe with a LOT of work I will see how he does in obedience next year at a
fun match.>>>>>>>>

KYS
Don't get discourage. Training a breed such as an Akita is not the same as training a breed such as a Goldie or a GSD etc.
Where these dogs are pleasers the AKita
is always thinking "Why should I, and You should do it instead of me".
Very intelligent dogs and the rewards of training will be well worth it.

ownerof3dogs
11-18-2000, 02:50 PM
what is the Koehler training?

KYS
11-18-2000, 03:47 PM
ownerof3dogs:

Maybe Ryan can explain it better than me.
From what I know, William Koehler was a
well known dog trainer many years ago who trained several animals for T.V. and movies.
He wrote a book on his method of
dog training called "The Koehler method of Dog Training" he also wrote a book I believe on Guard dog training as well.
Part of his method of training is that your dog should be trained so the he will obey your first comand, no matter what temptations or distractions may be present. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

KYS
11-18-2000, 03:54 PM
Continued from above.

Just after the first 4 days using this
method, I no longer have to use a Gentle Leader collar on my male. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

ownerof3dogs
11-18-2000, 05:30 PM
I think that I'm going to have to get this book and try this training method

RachelJ
11-18-2000, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by KYS:

Part of his method of training is that your dog should be trained so the he will obey your first comand, no matter what temptations or distractions may be present. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

[/b]

Well, I'll have to get info on THAT.
"Come" to Hannah means "First think, is there anything else you'd rather do? If not, go to her because she'll give you one of the 'good treats', but as you go, keep your other options open."

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited November 18, 2000).]

ktreva52
11-23-2000, 10:16 AM
Teaching the come is very important -- here's how I do it and my JRT came everytime, first call. Call the dog ONE TIME ONLY. If the dog doesn't respond, go to the dog and take hold of the collar (use a treat, if necessary so the dog won't run off -- give a piece of treat if the dog stays) then, taking the dog with you, go back to where you called from and praise the dog all the way there. Act as though the dog did what you wanted and be very vocal about what a good dog he/she was. Then, give the treat and praise some more. You have to make sure that whenever you call your dog to you, you praise and NEVER call the dog to you for any type of discipline or you'll be sending mixed messages. Besides, if you don't catch the dog in whatever act you want to discipline, you've really lost the chance. By the way, something I learned from Barbara Woodhouse's "No Bad Dogs" is to use the word "What".... "What a good dog..." Don't know why, but it seems to impress the praise on them more. Tried it on my cattle dog mix after I read the book and she responded more to that than to just "Good dog." She was pretty hard-headed about stuff (working breeds have to think for themselves so much during worktime), but this really made her sit up and take notice (so to speak). Use this method everytime you call the dog to you (and a long lead, if needed for longer returns) and you'll find the dog wants to come every time. You don't always have to use treats (maybe just in the beginning), but an occasional one is appreciated and keeps the dog interested. You do, however, have to praise the dog like it just won a Nobel prize or something and is just the greatest dog in the whole world. They love it. Consistency is the other key to any type of training, so everyone around the dog must do the same thing. Get down low, clap your hands, encourage the dog the whole way -- whatever it takes, but do not repeat the command. Dogs can count and they will learn how many times you'll say it before you MEAN it, so mean it the first time. That's how they learn to spell, too. Good luck.

Daisy's Mom
11-24-2000, 09:43 PM
I would love to enter my dog in agility... but there are two problems... first, I guess you could say I live in the "boonies" and there are no teams or anything to do with it remotely near us... and second, my dog is a Basset Hound... she can be fast when she wants to... emphasis on when she wants to!!! And I doubt she'd be too good at jumping http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

RachelJ
11-25-2000, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by ktreva52:
Teaching the come is very important -- .

Hannah is 5 years old and I've had her since she was a puppy. We have practiced the "come command" every single day, inside and outside. Come is about the only command that is almost 100 percent rewarded with a treat, usually the BaaBaa Q's which are her favorite. Yes I have used ALL the principals you have recommmended and in training she does "come" perfectly. The problem develops when she is outside in the fenced back yard and I want her to come in and especially when she has started to bark at some distraction like a neighbor's cat or a squirrel. This is usually at the most inopportune time like first thing in the morning or last thing at night when I am in my pajamas. I call, "Hannah, come", and it is like she is deaf. Here is where I do resort to several calls. Now I am promising her cheese. Then I tell her Tucker is getting the cheese. (Sometimes this works.) If not, I go outside in my bathrobe and gloshes and try to coax her to me. Forget it! As soon as I get close, she zips away. She is still barking at the cat or whatever. Now, I have given up on the "come" and start with "in the house" which is another command she knows. Generally, I get her in after some effort, but this is not what I'm looking for. For three years we did not have a fenced in yard so whenever she was out, she was on a long leash, so "come" was enforced repeatedly. But she has deduced when it can be enforced and when it can't.

lhg0962
11-25-2000, 12:19 PM
I have the same problem with Honey. My yard isn't that large, but she has many places to hide that I can't get to her because of large bushes. I will admit she has been getting a little better about it, but she is not yet up to the standards I would have her be!

ktreva52
11-25-2000, 02:40 PM
Well, I'll try this again. AOL kicked me off just as I was doing this.
You might consider using cat treats to coax the dog inside. The favorite at my house and with many other dogs I've worked with is Pounce Drumstix (chicken and turkey flavors in one treat). It's amazing what dogs will do for this treat. I see two options to the "won't come out of the yard" problems:
A. When you're in a hurry, put her out on a tie-out so you can get her back in more readily. Also, feed her after she's been out so you can show her her feed bowl and encourage her to come eat. This should help on the mornings you are not "dressed" for public viewing.
Option B: I would recommend getting a long lead, such as is used in training field dogs (about 20-30' long) and let her out on it while you stay at the door. Make sure she doesn't get tangled on anything. Then, after she's had time to potty and play a bit, call her in. If she responds immediately, great. Praise and treat. If not, use the long line to "reel" her in, praising vocally all the time she's coming. After a while, when she's responding well to the long line, switch to a light line (like clothesline) and start again. This way, she is less aware of the line and thinks she's free. Also, do you ever do obedience work with her in the yard? It is a way to reinforce the idea that no matter where she is, you are to be obeyed, first time, every time. The trick is to make it more fun for her to come in than anything she finds outside, including the cats or birds or blowing leaves. If necessary, you may just have to take her lead out and hook her up. Always make the trip to the house exciting and fun so she comes to believe that that's the place to be. I've been known to throw on shoes and a long coat and the public eye be darned. My dogs learn that ignoring me is not an option and coming in is great. As I said before, too, only say "come" once. You can encourage her by using "let's go" and such like, but not "come". Use a high pitched voice (baby voice -- you know the kind) and clap your hands and get really excited/exciting and she'll soon get the idea. I hope all this helps.
One last thought: when you go out after her, call her to heel like you would if you were in class or wherever you normally train. This is where working off-lead helps. If you haven't gotten that far, start in the house and call her to heel occasionally and heel her around the house. Then release her. Then, carry the work to the back yard and with a combination of work and consistent patience, she'll be the best dog around.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited November 25, 2000).]

ktreva52
11-25-2000, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Daisy's Mom:
I would love to enter my dog in agility... but there are two problems... first, I guess you could say I live in the "boonies" and there are no teams or anything to do with it remotely near us... and second, my dog is a Basset Hound... she can be fast when she wants to... emphasis on when she wants to!!! And I doubt she'd be too good at jumping http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

You might be surprised!! The Hurdlin' Hoosiers Flyball team had a basset on the team and while she wasn't the fastest dog on the team, she did the jumps and ran the ball back. Besides, sometimes accuracy is more important than time as missing jumps or missing the right parts of obstacles can add time to a run and make it "more expensive" points-wise. Type in "www.askjeeves.com" (without the quote marks) and ask about agility. You might find something not as far away as you think. If nothing else, there are a couple of good books on the sport (do you have a PetsMart near? I got mine there) that describe the obstacles and how to make them. Then, you start low with all things you can and she should learn the "tricks of the trade" easily enough. I've seen Corgis and Chihuahuas do agility, so, what the heck. It's a lot of fun for you and the dog and reinforces obedience training. By the way, at an event, they'll adjust jumps and pause table for the size of the dog, so it should work. Just start her out slowly and safely and make it fun. Good Luck.

Daisy's Mom
11-25-2000, 07:06 PM
Hey thanks, I'll look around! Daisy is really energetic and would love to do it, I'll see what I can find.

Daisy's Mom
11-25-2000, 07:07 PM
Hey thanks, I'll look around! Daisy is really energetic (well, sometimes!) and would love to do it, I'll see what I can find.

ktreva52
11-26-2000, 12:35 PM
http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif You are quite welcome. My family has really enjoyed the variety of sports with the dogs that aren't your run-of-the-mill obedience/conformation things. Everybody gets so ring sour doing the same stuff all the time. Let us know what you find out and how it goes.

tatsxxx11
11-27-2000, 03:32 PM
Star, my lab, has been in agility for a month now. In class, we use clicker training and its INCREDIBLE!!! Star is very bright and knows all her commands by hand signal. "Come," however, is the one thing that she will hesitate to obey, at times, if there is anything more interesting!!! Boy, can I empathize with you, RachelJ! I have almost 2 acres fenced in, and it seems that it is ALWAYS at night, or early in the morning, when everyone is sleeping, that Star will start barking at a squirrel, or kitty or whatever. For this "fun" she would just totally ignore my come command and I would be out there in my PJS chasing her; ugh! I started using the clicker method, and now she comes instantly!!! I keep the clicker on my wrist and a treat bag on my belt when we're together in the house and outside, and she gets a click and a treat for each command she obeys. You have to use a really YUMMY treat, and only a very small piece. In class we use low fat hot dogs frozen, then chopped into tiny pieces and microwaved for 8 minutes. All the fat is cooked out and the pieces are sort of dehydrated. Star goes crazy for them. The command is spoken once only; no response, and she just gets IGNORED. Anyway, there's a lot to it, and I can give you the name of a great book on clicker training if you want. There's some great websites on it too. This is the method they use to train dolphins and whales! And Daisy's Mom: There are ALL KINDS of dogs in my agility class: A huge Olde English Sheepdog, Basset, Daschund, older dogs, young dogs, etc. The most important thing is that the dog is being socialized, getting exercise and having fun with her/his person! It's also a great way to build confidence. I would highly recommend it for you and Daisy!

tatsxxx11
12-11-2000, 05:40 PM
Yeah for Star!!! She "graduated" from basic agility yesterday! What a relief! Nervous, protective, defensive mother-of-lab that I am to my little "Spark-o-matic" 2000! We all got diplomas and special homemade "cookies" tied with bows. All the dogs were so sweet and we all reveled in each other's successes. Luckily, the class is held at the kennel where I work and we can use all the equiptment and practice over the winter Let's just say when Star was good, she was AWESOME; when she was bad, usually when she was tired at the end of class, she was really bad!!! (e.g. "I think it's easier to go UNDER the tire than through it!") Star says she's going to work on making Mom a better handler, and then her "Star" will really shine! Thanks for listening!

Daisy's Mom
12-11-2000, 07:58 PM
Hey that's great!!! Congratulations to both of you!!!!!!

Sudilar
12-11-2000, 10:35 PM
Congrats to you!! In January, my daughter is taking my 3 yr. old GSD, Shiloh, for beginning agility training. We're looking forward to it. Shiloh loves to play and I think it's going to be a lot of fun!! The class is at 8:30 at night, though. I hope she's not too tired http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif!

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited December 11, 2000).]

ktreva52
12-11-2000, 10:44 PM
No worries, Sudilar, once the dog gets an idea of what's going on, most of them get really revved up for an agility session. It should also help teach her to pay better attention to you because you'll be telling her what fun thing to go on next. Just start low and slow and you'll be amazed. Agility is one of the reasons I used to use a tunnel as a socialization exercise in my puppy classes. Some of the puppies would really balk at going into it, but once through, 99+% of them LOVED it. I even had one student that went and laid in the tunnel during the rest of class. He was a riot. I used a child's play tunnel for the class and it was big enough for most of them (except the English Mastiff and the Great Dane). Try it anywhere. Good Luck on classes.

Congrats, Tats, that's really something. I hope you keep up either through continuing classes or some competitions. It's really awesome to see some of these dogs do their thing.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited December 11, 2000).]

tatsxxx11
12-12-2000, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys! Yes, we hope to continue! Star does love the tunnel and "chute," after overcoming some initial hesitation the first class. Some of the dogs are sooo funny going through it. Laying inside it as you say, going half in, running out to get a treat, etc! But, by the end of the last class, everyone was doing well and having such fun. It's so great for socialization and exercise. I highly recommend it for all types of dogs and all ages. Thanks again for the encouragement!

karen israel
12-12-2000, 07:15 AM
Well, as I read this, I am so jealous and angry with myself for not doing more research on these things! Live and Learn! Next time I would continue obedience, do agility etc..not that Cody is terrible-he's clever in so many ways- but he would have benefited from all this fun stuff! I asked him if he wanted to be like Star and he just kissed, kissed, kissed me so I'm content! I'm so proud of Star, I feel I know her personally! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

tatsxxx11
12-12-2000, 03:15 PM
Thanks girlfriend!! Ditto! Me and Star feel like you're a real soul mate! She sends you guys big sloppy ones. I think Star might benefit by being a litte more like your Cody! Right now the "girls" are sitting on the pool cover enjoying a "velvet bone!" Mom gets some quiet computer time! Karen, I think Cody could still do agility, no? Dogs were all ages, sizes, temperments. One little Viszla (sp?) was sooooo scared; no confidence. But by the end of the class he was having such fun and managed even to go through the tunnel! Tell Cody Star thinks she's in love!

Sudilar
12-12-2000, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Ktreva, for your vote of confidence!! I think we are going to do fine. Shiloh will problably love it so much that I'll have to buy the tunnel and set up the weave in my backyard!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Since, I can't run so fast, I'll be the observer and I'll let my daughter do the running. This is going to be so much fun! I really can't wait! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

AdoreMyDogs
12-13-2000, 08:20 AM
Agility really is alot of fun. Graham just graduated his first agility class too, but they did not give us any neat gifts or anything. The place I took him, and I am taking him back to, was only $75 for 6 weeks which is a great price. Most of the other places were over $100 so I guess I shouldn't expect any cool graduation gifts for him.

They did strongly recomend we buy (or build) some of the more difficult obsticles as soon as the snow melts and the ground's not too slippery. I would like to continue this with Graham. I never had enough money to get his obedience titles, although it would have been easy because he's so smart. So agility it is. I am going to continue it, and eventually get Graham his first title http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

tatsxxx11
12-13-2000, 03:50 PM
Adoremydogs-Yipppeeeee for Graham! I'll bet he'll be a real champion in no time! Give him a big high paw from me and Star. Star's class was only 60.00 for 6 classes! I always thought everything on the east coast was the most expensive! I know you can buy the tunnels through the "tunnel man." He has a web site under agilitiy equiptment. Many of the doggy daddys in my class have built the jumps with pvc pipe; they're pretty easy and cheap to put together. The tetter-totter and "balance bean" too are pretty inexpensive to build if you know someone who is a bit handy with a few tools. I wish you guys GREAT SUCCESS!!! Please let me know how you guys are doing. AND, when Graham graduates his next class, I'll bake and send Graham a whole box of homemade doggy cookies!

Sudilar
12-13-2000, 10:17 PM
Congrats, Graham. Good luck on your next agility classes!! Isn't it great fun?

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

RachelJ
12-14-2000, 06:03 PM
Sorry I am so late with the congratulations for Star and Graham on their success at Agility. And Tats, thank for the clicker training suggestion to get Hannah to come. That is one thing I haven't tried with her. Ktreva, thanks for all your input as well. I have used them all in the past and some in the present. "What a good dog" is a much used phrase around here", and we have 15 ft. 20 ft. and 50 ft. leads as well as the light weight clothes line. But it all boils down her knowing when none of those things are attached and if there if something else of interest at the time the command is given. Lately although we still practice daily, I have gotten sloppy about enforcement. She's not a hard dog to live with most of the time. One stradegy that we have recently been employing is to call, give her ample time to obey, then just shutting the door and ignoring her. Our door squeaks when it is being shut, and now I have noticed a lot of the time, when she hears that squeak, she comes a running.

AdoreMyDogs
12-16-2000, 09:18 AM
Thank you everyone for the congrats...Tats, congrats on Star's "shining" performance in agility http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Isn't it fun? I wish I had gotten my yellow lab Beener into agility, but I am not sure if he'd like it. He was one of the unusual cases, he did not care for obedience training, although he'd hang in there for me. I only took him to beginner class, he just did not care for it, don't know if he would have liked agility or not. I think he would have.

Tats, a WHOLE bunch of homemade doggie cookies??? Well Graham LOVES you now! I told him that just because he did not get a doggie diploma or a special doggie cookie with this agility place, that does not mean he's not a good dog! He told me to tell you that it was as sweet as sugar of you to offer to send him such a yummy graduation gift http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif He wagged his stubble http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Ok, it's bragging time now http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Graham, surprisingly, was the only mutt in both his class and the class before his (which I arrived early to watch every week). There was even an American/Canadian grand champion Rod. Ridgeback in my class, as well as a full border collie and Graham, once again, outdid his entire class! He won best in class in every obedience class, and he was by far the best in his agility class once again! The trainers told me (in private, so we would not upset the class) that Graham could have skipped the next class and placed well in the class after the next one, but I needed more training (correct ways of handeling him) so they told me I should do the next class so I am able to learn all that I have to learn (I've been outsmarted by a dog!!!)

The last class (graduation) they had us run the dogs through all the obsticles (in the weeks previus we were split into teams, and only tackeled 2-3 at a time), and, to my surprise, Graham knew the names of all the obsticles. I was closer to the middle of the arina and I would call out the name of the obsticle and Graham went right to it! He knew the teeter, "climb it" (a-frame), table, tunnel, "walk it" (dog walk), shute and all the jumps by name. I called out what he has to do next and he ran to it without me next to him guiding him http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif My husband went to the last class and he was beaming with "proud daddy". He had never before been so proud and impressed of a dog. Graham had not shown fear once of any of the obsticles, but I did not know he actually knew the names of them all!

Sorry, had to brag about my boy. He was the only mutt and he was the best. I am determined to get his first title in agility because, not only is it oodles of fun, but also he makes mutts look good. I am not against purebreds, I absolutely love purebred GSD's, but when a "throw away" mutt does so well, it might promote more mutt rescues. I am so proud of him. He's so exceptional and I am SO lucky to have been the one to see him first and adopt him out of that aweful prison he was in.

P.S. Su, my agility class started at 9:30 PM, I hated that it was so late, I am an early bird, but I came to the class yawning every week and as soon as the class started I was wired! I ran and sweated and was more awake and alert then ever! My next class starts at 8:30 and I know that, once again, energy will intoxicate me and I'll, once again, be as awake as if it were a bright, sunny morning http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Daisy's Mom
12-16-2000, 10:21 AM
Congratulations Graham!

Love Daisy and her Mommy

tatsxxx11
12-16-2000, 03:43 PM
AdoreMyDogs!!! I'm just gonna CRY!!!! Nothing gets me more emotional than seeing anyone show how proud they are of someone they love, then SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD!!!! What a fantastic job, Graham. Nothing can stop you now. (Unless your Mom falls asleep in class!) I love all dogs, but "All Americans" are just the best. Their hearts are the biggest. Their eyes say, "Hey, look at me. Here I am. I can do it all." You must be soooo proud. No diploma or special treats needed here. No doubt Mom and Dad's pride, joy and love for their special kid knocked him over! I couldn't be happier for you. I know the joy you are feeling in seeing Graham "soar." My spirit soars with you. Still want to send you guys some treats; maybe some No-Doze for Mom!

I Love My Aussie
12-16-2000, 09:45 PM
Hello,

I plan to start training my pup to perform agility. He already knows how to jump over hurdles (in my case wooden boards) on command. If any one here knows any good sites or has any tips on agility training please e-mail me.

Thanx a lot,
Rachel n Bandit

------------------
*Get a Grip Get an Aussie*

AdoreMyDogs
12-19-2000, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone for letting me brag about my super doggie. You are all WONDERFUL!

KYS
12-19-2000, 05:15 PM
Tats and Adore congratulations! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Raz_Taz_88
12-21-2000, 07:45 PM
i compete my dog daisy(4 year old sheltie) in obiedence and agility.

ktreva52
12-29-2000, 02:44 PM
Well, I haven't been here a while and look what Graham did!!! Big Congrats! There is a type of agility that you actually have to stay in a specific area of the arena and call the obstacles out to the dog -- looks like Graham would have that sewn up!

There was a blue-bound book I found at PetsMart about agility and it's packed away just now, but it has all the info about different type of agility, the clubs you can contact, and how to build the obstacles. I've seen it at dog shows, too. I wish I could recall the title. I'll research it and let you all know.

Rachel -- sounds like the old "ignore" is the trick on getting that come down. Good for you. I like to recommend that aspect as it really makes the dog think you might be doing something he/she ought to be interested in.

As for Beener -- well, I have seen agility spark a dog's interest in obedience like nothing else will. It's a good time for the dog and reinforces all obedience commands. You might want to give it a try and see how he does.

I'm so thrilled that everyone is taking an interest in agility. Expecially the mixed breed owners. It is really a sport where any dog can excell and title and it doesn't depend on what "breed" the dog is like some of the other things like go-to-ground (terriers & dachshunds), or herding (herding breeds only), or anything else except flyball. Best wishes in the new year for all of you.