PDA

View Full Version : Gggrrrrooowl

COCatMama
11-22-2002, 07:55 PM
I am currently paying 140 bucks a month car insurance for a 17 year old chevette that cost 550 bucks. I am 28 years old and trying to learn how to drive. I paid a driving school to teach me, but i ran out of 'hours' and they won't teach me how to parallel park until i pay them more money. My car insurance company is INCREASING everyone's rates! My car is insured as a pleasure vehicle and i have no options on it. I am SO completely steamed right now, I can't afford the car insurance *now* but mine won't increase until i renew in july 2003. I will shortly have absolutely NOONE to help me learn how to drive, I am legally not allowed to drive with an "L" license without a co-pilot. I am so frustrated and angry, do come this far only to have to cancel my road test again, and I can't afford more lessons. I hate to give up so close to finally being able to drive. :mad:

Karen
11-22-2002, 08:06 PM
No family member or friend willing to take on the task? Any older person you could drive to the store for practice? I didn't have to parallel park for my driving test, though everyone else I know did, and I practiced. Okay, here is the theory I was told:

Pull up along next to the car in FRONT of the space you are trying to pull in to. Then put it in reverse, and when you are halfway down the length of that forward car, cut the wheel so you are backing into the space. When you are halfway in, start straightening out the wheel. You may have to adjust a little once you are in the space, but one pull forward, then backwards into the perfect position ought to do it! Slowly, slowly, practice makes perfect.

Okay, now my caviat - I have SEEN it done, honest I have. Many times. I do it backwards from that, and pull into the space, then usually adjust a couple times, but I also look for two open spaces so I can just pull smoothly in! (I never had to parallel park before sophomore year of college. Everywhere in my hometown had parking lots or driveways!)

I know nothing about insurance rates in Canada - could you call around to other companies for a better rate?

gini
11-22-2002, 08:17 PM
I had no idea that Karen worked for the Department of Motor Vehicles:D :cool: :D Those are very good instructions she gave you. Maybe you could practice it yourself by putting two trash cans someplace safe and try parking in between the two of them.

Your car insurance rate seems outrageous and I live in Los Angeles - one of the highest in the nation.

COCatMama
11-22-2002, 08:21 PM
thanks for the parking tips :) here in BC, Canada we have one big auto insurance company called ICBC. They handle licensing and registration and the much-maligned AirCare program (which is a TOTAL scam)
Because I am a new driver, I get nailed for car insurance big time!

RockyRoad
11-22-2002, 08:27 PM
I'm gunna keep this in mind for whenn I take my driving test! OK-totally off the topic, but..

COCatMama
11-22-2002, 08:29 PM
take deep breaths, don't panic! :D

sammi
11-22-2002, 09:41 PM
Karen I printed your parallel parking inst. and will put them in my van!!!!! I can't parallel park and never needed to for the drivers test. Always afraid I might really need to one day!

I didn't learn how to drive till after I was married - I think I learned at age 27 and finally took the test when I was 29.

ownerof3dogs
11-22-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by sammi
Karen I printed your parallel parking inst. and will put them in my van!!!!! I can't parallel park and never needed to for the drivers test. Always afraid I might really need to one day!

I didn't learn how to drive till after I was married - I think I learned at age 27 and finally took the test when I was 29.

Hey I don't feel so bad now. I am 19 and still can't drive. I just hate it. I get way too nervous!!!

11-23-2002, 06:08 AM
Karen , that was GREAT advise !! I am very good in parallel parking , but how to put this in words , isn't easy !!! Waw !

Lalania , what a pity you are living so far away from me . I would have volonteered to teach you ...
:) :)http://www.uselessgraphics.com/carrycar.gif

Crikit
11-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Hey Lalania I feel for you, I got my license last april and it took me three tests and to be honest five years or so to get it because nobody in my family had time to help me practice and I couldn't afford lessons. I think it was the deal that my mom made me that if I didn't have my license by the end of June I couldn't buy the car from them that I was going to. Don't worry though you aren't the only one getting shafted on insurance rates I am to.

Oh yeah before I forget I don't know if BC is like Alberta but when I took my tests I passed the park hill park on the first test and the parrellel on the second and then didn't have to take them the third. Maybe you'll luck out when you do get around to taking it and it will be like that.

Fuzzy317
11-24-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
Because I am a new driver, I get nailed for car insurance big time!

Almost all insurance companies charge higher for new and/or young drivers, so your company is not alone in that. They charge higher for drivers (and cars for that matter) that are in higher risk.

COCatMama
11-25-2002, 08:44 AM
My advice to all the youngsters on this board is to get your license ASAP! Don't make the same mistake i did and wait too long because the longer you wait, the harder it gets.

sammi
11-25-2002, 08:19 PM
I"ll second that!!!! Don't put it off!