PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

Miss Meow
11-21-2002, 11:36 PM
What a week, glad it's nearly over!

The cats stayed at the vet's last Monday to Wednesday and we picked them up and took them straight to the airport, dropped them off at the boarding house and haven't seen them since. I miss them so much! My back is almost straight from not being squished by them in bed at night, this will not do!

We were going to sedate the cats for the flight as they were pretty stressed at the vet's, but one of our vets advised us against it. She said Mini still has a minor heart murmur and sedation combined with altitude could be a bad mix. So she recommended a spray called Feliway, which is a mixture of cat facial pheronomes, to be sprayed in their carrier to help calm them. It seemed to help, all those little smelly pheronomes. I sprayed some on myself to see if it would calm me down, but no luck there :) If you are transporting cats or moving house, you spray this stuff on their bedding, carrier, bed etc so they feel settled more quickly as there are familiar aromas. Let me know if you ever need more info, it seems to work.

At least they arrived at the correct airport, covered in urine and a bit dazed, but safe nonetheless. Our luggage ended up at the other end of the country, having a nice little jaunt. :(

The night before we flew, the Australian Government issued a serious warning that Australia was on heightened alert for attack and for all citizens to be alert. But they wouldn't say any more. Alert to what I ask? :) I'm a bad flier at the best of times and this didn't help! I was so glad to hit the tarmac in one piece!

We pick up the cats tomorrow, yay! There is a nice little sunny spot under the loungeroom window where we'll put their bed, hope it helps them settle quickly. They aren't allowed outside as the fences are too low so we are looking at making a netting enclosure so they can play in the garden - but we can worry about that later. Must unpack boxes before they arrive!

boscibo
11-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I sprayed some on myself to see if it would calm me down, but no luck there :)

LOL!! :D :D

Glad you made it OK and I'll bet you miss your cats. :(

jenluckenbach
11-22-2002, 06:19 AM
Glad to have you back. TOo bad there was so much anxiety. Give those kitties lots of hugs and some empty boxes too.:D

lynnestankard
11-22-2002, 06:52 AM
Nicole so sorry about all that stress - glad you arrived safely - it'll be 'home' as soon as the furkids arrive!!:D

Lynne

Vio&Juni
11-22-2002, 08:50 AM
it'll be 'home' as soon as the furkids arrive!!
How this could not be true?!!
I am glad you arrived safely and the furkids are ok :)
Hug Mini and Jasmine for me.

NoahsMommy
11-22-2002, 11:27 AM
I'm so gald all that is behind you and now you can unpack and set up home...I bet the kitties will love their new place.
I would LOVE the information on the spray...do you think that it worked? We are moving in June and the cats will be riding in the car with me for over 6 hours. They'll need to be in a large crate together, but I'm torn between a tranquilizer and nothing at all. This spray sounds perfect!

Keep us updated on the new house, etc.

Take care!

Cataholic
11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Miss Meow- yeah! You are over with the hard part, well, the unpacking is never a joy, but, you will see the accomplishments as you put everything away. Might I suggest you confine the kitties to one area for a day or so? It will feel smaller and safer..but, of course, you know your meezers best.

You are to be commended for getting your cards out so early, and while you are moving! I loved the card, so did Dakota..but you will have to read why on another thred..he he.

NoahsMommy- we have Feliway here in the US..or at least in OHio (and, if it is in Ohio, I kNOW it is in California..hah hah). I think you will be fine sans tranq or spray, for six hours in the car. Just lift the food and water several hours before. I was just going to ask if you were moving out of state, but I geuss a six hour trip could take you some where else in Cali, hmm?

11-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Hurray Nicole , you are finally moved !! What a hassle , hey ..!
As soon as the cats will be there , the place will really feel like HOME !! Glad that your trip went okay !:D

Logan
11-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Welcome back, Nicole!!!! And have fun unpacking all those boxes :eek: . I'm still unpacking and have been moved in for two weeks now!!! LOL!!!!

Hug those kitty babies for me, please. And THANK you for the Christmas card!!! It is adorable!!!! :)

jenluckenbach
11-22-2002, 01:20 PM
I was going to say boo hoo because I did not get my card yet.....then I saw that my zip code is wrong !!! drat...why didn't I notice that earlier. Well, guess I'l go make an announcement thread and hope the others come. :(

Miss Meow
11-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I would LOVE the information on the spray...do you think that it worked? We are moving in June and the cats will be riding in the car with me for over 6 hours. They'll need to be in a large crate together, but I'm torn between a tranquilizer and nothing at all. This spray sounds perfect!

Picked up the furbabies today - yay! We closed off most of the house so they only have a few rooms to roam in and sprayed their bedding and scratching tree with Feliway. Seemed to work again. They were eating within half an hour and have thoroughly all explored all tables, boxes and the kitchen bench ...

NoahsMommy, I think the Feliway is worth a try. Both cats were definitely less stressed than they were other times they've travelled. Your cats should be fine, they seem to adapt to circumstances quickly. A nice protected carry cage with a favourite cushion or blanket will help.

Jen, I hope you get your card. If it doesn't arrive, let me know and I can send another one (if I can find which box the cards are in, of course :) )

toughCookie
11-23-2002, 12:10 AM
WELCOME BACK! :)

lynnestankard
11-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Nicole - so pleased those furbabies are home with their Mummy and Daddy :) :) :)

Lynne

moosmom
11-23-2002, 10:03 AM
Miss Meow,

I'm glad everyone made it there safely. I hope they get acclamated soon. It might take awhile given there were stress out during the flight. I think the reason mine got comfortable so quickly is because they all slept on the way there. It was a very easy ride.

Good luck in your new home. Can we expect pictures in the near future?? (Please??) ;)

Lillycat
11-30-2002, 03:22 AM
flad trip is over, you are so organized.....i received your lovely card....mine will be out soon......;)

NoahsMommy
12-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I was just going to ask if you were moving out of state, but I geuss a six hour trip could take you some where else in Cali, hmm?
Yes, we are staying in California. We are moving from Ventura County (beach-LA area) to Sacramento.

Originally posted by Miss Meow
NoahsMommy, I think the Feliway is worth a try. Both cats were definitely less stressed than they were other times they've travelled. Your cats should be fine, they seem to adapt to circumstances quickly. A nice protected carry cage with a favourite cushion or blanket will help.
I think I will try it. I'll do a search online. Thanks! :) Now, did you use port-o-prisions or a large crate in your move? Did you provide food/water/litter?

Miss Meow
12-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Hi, we use the plastic "Atlas" portaprisons for the cats. One challenge we had was that Mini and Jasmine had outgrown their old one so we had a last minute search for the portaprison for mature cats! They travelled in the same cage.

We put a bit of water in the water dish (not too much as it spills during turbulence or potholes if travelling by car). No food as they are usually too stressed to eat (if you have a six hour trip you might stop half-way for a food/toilet break (for them, not you of course :)) On a long trip like yours they'll definitely urinate so maybe shred some paper in one half of the portaprison so it can easily be replaced on the move. I guess if you have a large cage you could put a small tray of litter in. Maybe other PetTalkers have ideas from their travels?

Good luck!

jenluckenbach
12-02-2002, 02:23 PM
this advice is not from moving experience, but 6 hours in a carrier is not really that bad. Think about if they were at a grooming facility or vet's office for a procedure. They could be in a cage even longer. So as long as it is not a tiny cage in comparison to their size.........
I may suggest witholding food and water from about 8 p.m. the night before (assuming travelling around 8 a.m.) so they may not have a full bladder or bowels for the trip. This is the same thing the vet will ask you to do if the animal has surgery the next day, so it is not harmful. And I think that an added benefit to this is that if the cat is somewhat stressed he may not want to eat right away in his new home, but if he hasn't eaten since the night before, hunger may win out over stress. Good luck