PDA

View Full Version : Our Dog Belle

petavenger
11-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone. Here is a photo of our dog Belle. She is an Australian Blue Heeler. She is a wonderful dog. Her full name is Eljebel, from the town in Colorado where my sister got her (a gift to my sister by the recording artist Joe Cocker) and where she took the name of her publishing company El Jebel Press.

Belle is getting along in years and has developed arthritis which has seriously limitted her ability to run and play like she used to. It's been very difficult for everyone. Belle was a very active dog. We used to hike with her almost every day. If she was given a choice between food and a hike in the woods and you were wagering on her decision you'd be wise to place your money on the hike. We are now forced to restrict her physical activity, no ruff play or chasing sticks and balls. It's very sad.

While her physical condition has deteriorated her mind remains sharp. This makes it all the more difficult for her. She doesn't quite seem to understand the change in her routine. The vet says that as long as she takes her medication and we limit her physical cativity her condition is managable. The medication helps a lot so long as she doesn't exert herself. She still plays a lot but the games have changed, tug of war has replaced chasing and retrieving toys.

I just wanted to introduce her to the group.

Belle
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p5e9b9e2d97223e9be1d19cf5bf9d2d7f/fd056def.jpg

To learn more about these wonderful dogs visit
cattledog.com (http://cattledog.com)

Thanks

Andrew
www.lostpetfoundpet.com (http://www.lostpetfoundpet.com)

Heather Wallace
11-22-2002, 07:07 AM
Hi

Belle looks lovely, and I'm sure she enjoys life even though she is getting on in years.

petavenger
11-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Love your bunnies. They look very much loved. If only everyone was as thoughtful when it comes to bunny ownership.

I get so sad when I see the bunnies that end up in our shelter because someone didn't bother to think about what it takes to care for these special creatures. Our shelter houses bunnies, hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc. The problem is that too many people buy these types of pets on a whim or as a surprise gift, often for young children, with little or no thought given to the special care that each one requires. Pets are not toys, and unlike toys and games pets don't come with instructions. It is the adults responsibility to provide their children with educational materials on how to care for their chosen pet.

Pet's do not make good surprise gifts for children or adults. Often a child's desire to own a rabbit or other small critter is prompted by a friend having gotten one or a new classroom pet. In a short time the child's interest fades and the end result is another neglected and unwanted animal that ends up in the shelter.

These critters, or pocket-pets if you like, make great pets and with proper adult supervision and involvement can be a wonderful way of teaching children a respect for animals that will last a lifetime.

I believe that purchasing any animal "for the kids" so to speak, is a no no. This has been the cause of untold animal suffering. I believe that any aquiring of a pet, preferably by adoption, is a major commitment, and the entire family should be involved in the process. And while a child may be the animal's main caretaker, we as parents must want the animal the animal as well and be prepared to assume the responsibility for its care if and when our child's interest wanes.

Andrew

Heather Wallace
11-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi Andrew

yes i totally agree with what you say. I didn't get my first rabbit (Bunny) till I was 25 and I'm 27 now. I agree that they are complex little creatures, and very hard work if you what to keep their diet right and keep their minds happy, it takes a lot of thinking. You have to remember that if rabbits are no exercised daily and are only confined to a hutch, it can cause their bones to waste away.

To be honest, i spend more time looking after the rabbits than I do my cats, cats are more independant than buns.

Thanks for your comments and I am glad you liked the rabbits too.

Take Care
Ps. How is the website going? I had a look awhile back when you first told us about it, it's very good and usefull to of course.

petavenger
11-22-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks, it's going good. We are tweeking it all the time, trying to make it the best it can be.

Take care

Andrew

Heather Wallace
11-23-2002, 10:39 AM
I am glad that it is going well for you.

delidog
11-27-2002, 11:03 PM
I just love your Dear belle!!!!sorry, she is getting up in years...maybe she can't hike but shes' comfortable!!!
I think Heelers are Fabulous dogs....she has unique markings....Absolutely Beautiful Belle!!!
have you submitted her for Dog of The Day yet????she deserves it!!!!
enjoy her!!!
Give her an extra treat and a pet from us!!!

petavenger
11-28-2002, 08:53 PM
Awww, that is so sweet deli dog, thanks. How do you go about submitting your dog for dog of the day? I would love to submit Belle.

Are you from Florida? I was just on the Talkin Pets program with Jon Patch last Saturday. I think his show is out of Tampa, but it goes all over the country.

Andrew

HoRsELUvR
12-06-2002, 08:38 AM
Belle looks like a very pretty dog.i hope her arthritis is doing ok

tatsxxx11
12-11-2002, 03:41 PM
What a beautiful girl whith a beautiful name, your sweet Belle is!:) It's so hard to see them getting on in years, especially when their spirit is still so young. I'm sure though that you make up for her lack of physical activities with lots of extra loving!:) Thanks for sharing your sweet girl with us. I hope she and you all enjoy a very happy, healthy holiday!! Hugs to you beautiful Belle! :)