PDA

View Full Version : Dishwashers?

Sowa
09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm looking to buy a new dishwasher. I really know nothing about them. Is there anything I should know? someone told me stainless steel inside is best to prevent rusting? Which brand is better?

cassiesmom
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Whoops, I thought you meant this kind of dishwasher :eek:!
http://files.myopera.com/FlaRin/files/dishwasher%20cat.jpg

I don't have one. My neighbor upstairs just got a new one - when I see him again, I'll ask him which brand he bought and how he likes it.

happylabs
09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Check out Consumer Reports. I have a Kitchen Aide that has lasted and lasted.

Freedom
09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, go to the library, find the Consumer Reports latest and make copies to take home with you and read. They will tell you which features are useless but add to the cost (sanitizer cycle!), and which is the Best Buy at this time.

pomtzu
09-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd definitely stay away from Bosch. Not only are they expensive, but they don't even have a heating element for hot air drying. Any plastic items that you put in will come out wet at the end of the cycle, and it doesn't even dry glass or metal effectively. My brother found this out the hard way when he upgraded when he had to rebuild after a fire., so he had the contractor yank it out and I believe he went with a Maytag. Not only doesn't it dry - but the cycles run forever!!! Bosch is highly overrated and overpriced!

I have a GE which I never use just because I don't like dishwashers. In my old house I had a Kenmore and liked that one when I used it, but I don't know if they're still as good as they used to be.

Karen
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
They have come a long way in terms of energy usage in recent years. Definitely check reviews online for various ones, once you measure your space and decide how much capacity you need, etc. Believe it or not, even Amazon.com sells them, so you can loo9k at what people say about particular models there!

robinh
09-21-2012, 05:15 AM
I try to buy Kitchen Aid. Had the best luck with them. My Significant Other picked out the last one - figured it would be OK since he does dishes and I couldn't get off work. Bad idea. He got one with the silverware tray in the door - what a pain. And the one he picked out is so low to the ground. I'd go look at them, find a couple of styles that work for you - then check consumer reports to see how they rated them.

Asiel
09-21-2012, 07:19 PM
When we moved I decided to get a hotpoint and it does a great job, I find it a bit noisy though. I used to have a Kenmore and loved it. One I would never buy with all the bragging about them is the Maytag, my friend has one and she has to rinse all her dishes clean before putting them in the washer or they don't come out clean.
I don't use mine too often with only 2 people in the house but when we have guests it sure does come in handy.