PDA

View Full Version : Meow Mix...

redbird
09-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Does anyone feed their cat Meow Mix. I have been feeding Autumn Purina One since I adopted her but it is getting really expensive. I have been thinking of switching her to Meow Mix and would like your opinion if you're feeding this to your kitty.

Autumn does love her Purina One and if I did switch to another brand, I would do it slowly adding a little of the new into the old. Anyway any opinions or advice on Meow Mix would help, thanks.

redbird
09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
I am modifying my thread, I am talking about dry Meow Mix.

Hellow
09-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Considering that neither of them are necessarily "great", you'd much rather feed them Purina One. Meow Mix is horrible - the first ingredient is chicken by-products. Purina One actually contains a little bit of meat, Meow Mix is nothing but carbs.

By the way, put some research into wet foods. How much does Purina One cost you right now? There might be better kibble that you could feed your cats for a similar price. Iams is a better brand generally but they're also generally more expensive.

kittycats_delight
09-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Actually feeding Meow Mix is not necessarily going to cost you less. The lower the quality (the cheaper the cost) the more junk/fillers etc are in them. Fact is that your cat will eat more of a lower quality food. I feed Royal Canin and it gets quite expensive with 6 cats if by chance I run out before the end of the month an money is tight I will grab Purina Naturals but they eat the same amount in less time and ask more often for wet food as well. You might even want to try moving up the quality. You may find it is cheaper in the long run in that Autumn will eat less so the food will stretch further so therefore cost less. I pay €5 a kg for Royal Canin which when I checked against prices is actually cheaper than the lower quality stuff because I buy 6 kg a month. I made up the cost of Friskies (400g cost €2,19 so it ends up costing €5,48 a kg) Purina Naturals/Pro (€4,29 for 800 g €5,38 a kg) so you see the good quality stuff actually cost less than the lower quality if you buy in bigger quantities. Try checking the price of a 5 lb bag of Royal Canin Fit 32 and then compare it to the price of 5 lbs of purina or even meow mix. I bet you will find it will cost about the same and your cat will eat less therefore costing you less in the long run.

redbird
09-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I will stick with Purina One since that is what my vet recommended when I first adopted Autumn and she has been eating it ever since. I will not downgrade her food and she does love it, thanks again :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I've never fed my cats Purina One or Meow Mix but I just wanted to let you know that better quality cat foods that don't contain so many fillers like by products, corn, or wheat will end up costing you less and your cat will also eat and need less of it. Most vets don't know anything about nutrition so just because your vet recommends a certain food doesn't mean that you have to feed this to your cat. The expensive Veterinarny RX diets actually have some of the worst ingredients in them and they cost a lot. Here's a link to some cat foods that have been rated for their price and ingredients: http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html. I've always believed that we should feed our pets the best quality diet that we can afford because good health starts from a good diet. Good luck.:)

Freedom
09-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I agree with all that Tracy said!

Grocery store grade foods are really junk food. So it is like feeding your child McDonald's, Burger King, and nothing else. Long term, it won't pay off.

cassiesmom
09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's a previous thread about what to feed a cat. I was the one asking the questions.

Hope this helps,
Elyse

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?166521-A-cat-food-question&referrerid=14351

redbird
09-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Here's a previous thread about what to feed a cat. I was the one asking the questions.

Hope this helps,
Elyse

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?166521-A-cat-food-question&referrerid=14351

Thank you very much to you and everyone else. Your comments have helped a lot.

mrspunkysmom
09-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Not that you need more advice, but I feed mine Natural Balance Dry, Original Formula, and Eagle Holistic Canned, Salmon flavor. 20 some years back, my two girls were having issues, so I switched to a chicken and Rice diet. I have progressed to Eagle and NB. It is expensive, but they are in great health. Just once per year checkups. I think it was costing me more to feed Purina and Fancy Feast.

Good Luck

Grace
09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
We have slowly gone back to more canned (wet) food over the past few years. Grady has FLUTD, but hasn't had any flare ups since we started giving him more moisture in his food. Charley has a condition similar to mega colon in people, so he, also, needs more wet food than dry - and a couple of medications each day.

A Vet recently told me that the thinking used to be dry food helped prevent tartar and teeth problems. She says not so much anymore. I do feed them some dry - Royal Canin Oral care. They really like it.